NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
mozilla wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The B1G added Nebraska...because Nebraska, at that point in time, wasn't happy where they were at. It wasn't that the B1G went out looking.

This is completely incorrect, the B1G announced that it wanted to expand and went out looking and basically set the entire AQ realignment wheel in motion in 2010.

Other than that I agree with your post.

I stand corrected, then.

Nebraska didn't like how the B12 had become a southern take over w/ the game moving to Jerry's World but had no where to go until B1G said we want to expand, then Nebraska let their gripes be known.

Yes FSA, I was just correcting the statement that the Big Ten didn't start looking after Nebraska wasn't happy. Nebraska clearly didn't like those things you said AND losing Oklahoma as an annual rival.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
mozilla wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The B1G added Nebraska...because Nebraska, at that point in time, wasn't happy where they were at. It wasn't that the B1G went out looking.

This is completely incorrect, the B1G announced that it wanted to expand and went out looking and basically set the entire AQ realignment wheel in motion in 2010.

Other than that I agree with your post.

I stand corrected, then.

Nebraska didn't like how the B12 had become a southern take over w/ the game moving to Jerry's World but had no where to go until B1G said we want to expand, then Nebraska let their gripes be known.

Yes FSA, I was just correcting the statement that the Big Ten didn't start looking after Nebraska wasn't happy. Nebraska clearly didn't like those things you said AND losing Oklahoma as an annual rival.

I just didn't want firefox to feel so bad and gave him partial credit. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Ok. I might get the point with the B1G stuff now. But back to this thread, I was just wondering. What would happen if former Sun Belt members like UAB and South Florida might re-join the conference, but with football? Because in the past at one point, both were pure non-football schools.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Ok. I might get the point with the B1G stuff now. But back to this thread, I was just wondering. What would happen if former Sun Belt members like UAB and South Florida might re-join the conference, but with football? Because in the past at one point, both were pure non-football schools.

It's very rare that you see any school move down on the realignment latter.

USF is two rungs above the Sun Belt. UAB is only 1 however they would most likely oppose joining a conference with Troy and SoBama (like how LA Tech didn't want to join the Sun Belt with ULL & ULM and instead hung out in the WAC.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:40 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

There's no way a C-USA school would voluntarily join the Sunbelt. The only fathomable realignment I could see happening other than than the typical Conference X raids the American, who raids C-USA, who raids SBC scenario is a faction within C-USA growing disgruntled with the travel and quality of other members in the league and quitting C-USA and inviting more travel friendly SBC members to come with them. You might put together a nice group of:

UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Texas St
Arkansas St
LA Tech
UL Lafayette
Southern Miss
South Alabama
UAB
Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
There's no way a C-USA school would voluntarily join the Sunbelt. The only fathomable realignment I could see happening other than than the typical Conference X raids the American, who raids C-USA, who raids SBC scenario is a faction within C-USA growing disgruntled with the travel and quality of other members in the league and quitting C-USA and inviting more travel friendly SBC members to come with them. You might put together a nice group of:

UTSA
North Texas
Rice
Texas St
Arkansas St
LA Tech
UL Lafayette
Southern Miss
South Alabama
UAB
Troy

Yes, just like with the MWC's formation, I could see a new SWC or SEC footprint reforming.

The most likely scenario would be in the AAC if Cincy and UConn leave and the rest of the AAC (primarily based in the South) doesn't want to expand in the North so they'd figure out a way to kick Temple and Navy and add the top 4 Southern programs left (IMO SoMiss, UAB, LA Tech, Rice).

I'd also like to see a true Northeast Conference form in the footprint of the ACC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
I'd also like to see a true Northeast Conference form in the footprint of the ACC.

I would also like to see a true athletic conference format in the ACC's footprint. But in order for the ACC to expand it, they need to add at least UConn, Cincinnati and West Virginia. As of today, there are like 4 or 5 members from the Northeastern U.S. region (Penn State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Boston College, Rutgers), making it the smallest amount of FBS schools for a region; despite that the ACC and then-old Big East (now The American or AAC) are technically representing the East Regional, and having the majority of members that are in the South Atlantic/Southeast U.S. regions.

Only the Sun Belt and C-USA are the only mid-major conferences within the Southeast U.S., followed by the major conference in the SEC.

Oh, on a side note. Has anyone checked out on Tennessee State? They have a FBS quality-like facility-type stadium, like LP Field. It would bring TV markets within the Greater Nashville area.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CSNBBS.com MB thread discussing report that EKU may be interested in moving to FBS if they can snag an invite from a league "like" the SBC at http://csnbbs.com/thread-666919.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS.com MB thread discussing report that EKU may be interested in moving to FBS if they can snag an invite from a league "like" the SBC at http://csnbbs.com/thread-666919.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that the SBC should take a good look at EKU. They are losing WKU and EKU would be an addition in the east and could be a travel mate with APP State. It doesn't look like JMU is interested in SBC and SBC needs to move on. If they have 1, 2, or even 3 or more schools interested in joining then they need to add invite them. It won't be long before more conference changes takes place and the SBC gets its members taken away again. They need to be proactive and get more than 12 members in all sports . Reading about the Power 5 in ESPN and how they are going to get more power and make more decisions, the only way that Non power conferences can servive is to load up with as many school as possible and wait and see what happends. Once these power 5 get more control they will continue to enlarge their membership with schools from the AAC, MW, MAC, and then these conferences will takes schools from C-USA and SBC. SBC has got to be proactive and take teams that wants to be in the SBC and are willing to stay in the SBC and not just take schools that only want to be in it until another conference comes calling. The only way to go from being the 10th FBS conference to being the 6th or 7th FBS ranked conference and get more TV air time is to develop a stable membership with schools that have the desire to come to SBC and stay SBC long term. Then the SBC could develop a better TV contract and more air play once these schools improve. SBC is in a tight spot. Every time one of their members progress then another conference comes calling and takes them and the SBC is back to step one again. I think that the SBC needs to raise the exit fee for members to leave the conference and then one invite these schools that want to be in the SBC long term!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:09 am 
Senior
Senior

hibbett2222 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS.com MB thread discussing report that EKU may be interested in moving to FBS if they can snag an invite from a league "like" the SBC at http://csnbbs.com/thread-666919.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that the SBC should take a good look at EKU. They are losing WKU and EKU would be an addition in the east and could be a travel mate with APP State. It doesn't look like JMU is interested in SBC and SBC needs to move on. If they have 1, 2, or even 3 or more schools interested in joining then they need to add invite them. It won't be long before more conference changes takes place and the SBC gets its members taken away again. They need to be proactive and get more than 12 members in all sports . Reading about the Power 5 in ESPN and how they are going to get more power and make more decisions, the only way that Non power conferences can servive is to load up with as many school as possible and wait and see what happends. Once these power 5 get more control they will continue to enlarge their membership with schools from the AAC, MW, MAC, and then these conferences will takes schools from C-USA and SBC. SBC has got to be proactive and take teams that wants to be in the SBC and are willing to stay in the SBC and not just take schools that only want to be in it until another conference comes calling. The only way to go from being the 10th FBS conference to being the 6th or 7th FBS ranked conference and get more TV air time is to develop a stable membership with schools that have the desire to come to SBC and stay SBC long term. Then the SBC could develop a better TV contract and more air play once these schools improve. SBC is in a tight spot. Every time one of their members progress then another conference comes calling and takes them and the SBC is back to step one again. I think that the SBC needs to raise the exit fee for members to leave the conference and then one invite these schools that want to be in the SBC long term!

I agree with most of what you wrote.
But, I have to wonder.....what has EKU done to deserve the call up? Since, you were the one suggesting them....I'll let you list the positives that EKU brings and the history of their recent successes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:18 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS.com MB thread discussing report that EKU may be interested in moving to FBS if they can snag an invite from a league "like" the SBC at http://csnbbs.com/thread-666919.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, I have to wonder.....what has EKU done to deserve the call up? Since, you were the one suggesting them....I'll let you list the positives that EKU brings and the history of their recent successes.

Honestly, i have no idea what EKU has done! I am not going to go on and on about EKU or any other school. To be honest i had to look up EKU when i heard about them. However the point that i attempted to make is that, The SBC is the bottom of the FBS 10 conferences. Anyone that says otherwise, i am sorry, but you can see it for yourself. The SBC has the least number of bowl tie ins, they haven't had a team ranked in the top 25 in how long? Every time a school improves another conference invites them to join and the school leaves. Point being that the SBC wants to be picky but in all honestly for the SBC it is all about staying alive at this point. They are not going to attract any FBS school to join (at least in all sports), they are not getting JMU like they wish, and sooner rather then later, teams like ULL and Ark- State will be gone once C-USA decides to expaned. So instead of just trying to stay afloat, they need a real long term plan. The SBC needs to invite schools that may not have a long history or even any history (such is the case with Georgia State), as long as the schools are willing to stay in the conference long term. Their new moto is "Together We Rise", so even the moto tells everyone that they don't expect to get proven school members to join but they hope to keep members and bring in new members that will one day develop into a better conference and move up from the bottom GO5 to either middle of the pack or higher!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS.com MB thread discussing report that EKU may be interested in moving to FBS if they can snag an invite from a league "like" the SBC at http://csnbbs.com/thread-666919.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems to be a lot less about what you've done and more what can you bring if we take you, new market, facilities. JMU has that. Jacksonville St. overlaps other SBC markets. Liberty religious views problem. So if JMU says no why not EKU? NDSU is the best FCS program but they're in the middle of nowhere w/ no market.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the Sun Belt don't do things as they possibly can, I can assume that they'll be the next conference to a demise, just like it happened to the WAC.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

hibbett2222 wrote:
mozilla wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
CSNBBS.com MB thread discussing report that EKU may be interested in moving to FBS if they can snag an invite from a league "like" the SBC at http://csnbbs.com/thread-666919.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly, i have no idea what EKU has done! I am not going to go on and on about EKU or any other school. To be honest i had to look up EKU when i heard about them. However the point that i attempted to make is that, The SBC is the bottom of the FBS 10 conferences. Anyone that says otherwise, i am sorry, but you can see it for yourself. The SBC has the least number of bowl tie ins, they haven't had a team ranked in the top 25 in how long? Every time a school improves another conference invites them to join and the school leaves. Point being that the SBC wants to be picky but in all honestly for the SBC it is all about staying alive at this point. They are not going to attract any FBS school to join (at least in all sports), they are not getting JMU like they wish, and sooner rather then later, teams like ULL and Ark- State will be gone once C-USA decides to expaned. So instead of just trying to stay afloat, they need a real long term plan. The SBC needs to invite schools that may not have a long history or even any history (such is the case with Georgia State), as long as the schools are willing to stay in the conference long term. Their new moto is "Together We Rise", so even the moto tells everyone that they don't expect to get proven school members to join but they hope to keep members and bring in new members that will one day develop into a better conference and move up from the bottom GO5 to either middle of the pack or higher!

Hey, I am totally behind everything you have said.
I just thought that maybe you had some other thoughts of schools to add...as kind of a 'master plan'.

I would like to see: Sam Houston, McNeese and one other....SE La, EKU, Jville State. And I don't just want any school...these schools need to have been competitive...and deserve the call up.

I checked out EKU's and a few others record of late(last ten years):

Football:
Tenn State – 4 winning seasons (52 wins) (2 real opponents)
Jville State – 10 winning seasons (73 wins) (8 real opponents)
E Ky – 9 winning seasons (69 wins) (10 real opponents)
Sam Houston - 6 winning seasons (69 wins) (13 real opponents)

Basketball:
Tenn State – 2 winning seasons (1 – 20 win seasons) (134 wins)
Jville State – 2 winning seasons (0 – 20 win seasons) (112 wins)
E Ky – 5 winning seasons (4 – 20 win seasons) (173 wins)
Sam Houston - 7 winning seasons (4 – 20 win seasons) (188 wins)

...a real opponent is usually a large D1 school.

Liberty wasn't much better than Tenn State.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:14 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Mozilla--I'm a little confused about your analysis of "real opponents". I really don't think the number of rent-a-victim games an FCS program plays has anything to do with what kind of quality program a school is. I think what is more telling about a programs' ability to rise up and have success at the FBS level is their number of wins, conference titles, media market, and facilities. EKU's attendance numbers are no where near that of the minimum standard for FBS. I think EKU's flirtation with the SBC is very similar to the way ECU courted the Big East--EKU does not bring what the SBC really needs. There is no reason for the SBC to add a program simply to be a placeholder. They are better off waiting until a an FCS program that meets their criteria rather than impulse buying an EKU program they are only lukewarm about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52 ... 94  Next