NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:43 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Who would be the five FBS teams in KY?
UK
UL
WKU
EKU
?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

You have them all.... EKU would potentially be #4.

My opinion (yeah, everyone has one.... I know the joke)
is what will happen (not what various people think SHOULD happen) is the Sun-belt will invite either JSU or EKU for all-sports school #12.

I think both are postiioning themselves to be able to make the move, should the phone ring.
Both have football ready to go. Both are in the proper LOCATION.
Numerous people within the conference have stated the importance of plugging team #12 into the Eastern Division.
They are going to want to make 2 pairs of travel partners out of Troy, South Alabama, Appy State, and team 12 (assuming Georgia St. and Georgia Southern are alrady a pair).

I think Liberty could technically be a fit, but the various college presidents do not want to hear Jerry Fallwell U. jokes in the context of the SunBelt Conference.
So much of what you rad out there is wishful thinking by people associated with teh various schools, but it is NOT commentary from those actually making the decision.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
I think Liberty could technically be a fit, but the various college presidents do not want to hear Jerry Fallwell U. jokes in the context of the SunBelt Conference.

Those college presidents could just embrace the Falwell advocated boycott initiated in 1999 of the TV program for toddlers called the Teletubies? Tinkie Winkie would make a grand mascot. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

James Madison was the intended target and they refuse to come. It is the only opening to move up so they should have taken it at least for football. There is opposition to both Liberty and EKU. Without a viable candidate for now, the Sunbelt should bring in UMASS on a 4 year contract like they have done with Idaho. The look in window for an extension is 2 years to see if the renewal option is offered. Gives UMass a life line while the Sunbelt waits for potential replacement candidates from the FCS to get into a better position to move up. James Madison may reconsider in the meantime too if they can't see any other options down the road. NMST can be offered all sports in the mean time to even up the all sports side of the conference and the conference can start the FB Championship Game they are after. UMass gets a home again and collects conference fees and the $1 million dollar CFB play of money in the Sunbelt while they wait for the call they are seeking from the AAC. Win - win situation for all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

Gemofthehills wrote:
Who would be the five FBS teams in KY?
UK
UL
WKU
EKU
?

Good catch. However just because I lost my ability to count from 1 to 5 does not mean I am wrong about Lamar. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

carolinaknights wrote:
James Madison was the intended target and they refuse to come. It is the only opening to move up so they should have taken it at least for football. There is opposition to both Liberty and EKU. Without a viable candidate for now, the Sunbelt should bring in UMASS on a 4 year contract like they have done with Idaho. The look in window for an extension is 2 years to see if the renewal option is offered. Gives UMass a life line while the Sunbelt waits for potential replacement candidates from the FCS to get into a better position to move up. James Madison may reconsider in the meantime too if they can't see any other options down the road. NMST can be offered all sports in the mean time to even up the all sports side of the conference and the conference can start the FB Championship Game they are after. UMass gets a home again and collects conference fees and the $1 million dollar CFB play of money in the Sunbelt while they wait for the call they are seeking from the AAC. Win - win situation for all.

UMASS has no interest in sending its team way cross country to play SBC schools. Same for SBC going to Boston MA to play. Idaho was added out of necessity. No reason to add UMASS. SBC could stay at 11 before adding UMASS. Or add a team in talent rich SETX and near talent rich Houston.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 am 
Senior
Senior

I have to say, i am tired of people saying that the SBC is the "armpit" or bottom of the FBS. Lets look at what they have done just the past year alone. They finished at the top of the soon to be called (Go5) conferences in money paid by the BCS, they won both of their bowl games, and they had most of their conference finish at 6-6 or better. (Not to bad for a bunch of FCS call ups)! The SBC is staying competitive even without stablity in the conference. That speaks highly of the SBC. Now lets look at what Karl Benson has done thus far. He came in and stated that he wanted to get 4 primary bowl tie-ins. What just happend this week. SBC has announced that it will have its forth bowl tie in (Cure Bowl, NO Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Cam. Bowl) the SBC is also part of the rotation for the Bah. Bowl and Miami Bowl. That means that the SBC more than doubled what it's bowl tie ins will be from last year. Karl has stated that he wants and the SBC needs a 12th team to have a CG and that team will need to be out of the east. With everything that Karl has said thus far happening i can not see any reason why we continue to talk about expansion anywhere other than the east. Liberty is now at the top of the list (like it or not), it is about money and a 12th team gets more TV time which will lead to more money. EKU is the 2nd option if Liberty for some reason doesn't say yes (no going to happen). The only other possiblity is if the SBC votes to throw a life line to Umass and offer Football only, then SBC could look at adding a eastern school for all other sports (like UNCA, UNCG, or Furman) someone close to to App St. to break down the travel. Would be nice if they would offer it to a team like Belmont, but i don't see Belmont leaving to come to the SBC for basketball. (SBC at this point is only a one bid conference). I believe that the mass exiting that has occured over the past few years to the SBC is over. With the new bowl games added and the idea that with 12 teams they get CG and then the new CFP payment of 1million per school up to 12 schools. Why would any school leave to go to C-USA that has 14 teams and accept less CFP money? I feel that once the SBC makes that decision on a 12th member for football and other sports then the conference will be set for a good while.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 am 
Senior
Senior

hibbett2222 wrote:
I have to say, i am tired of people saying that the SBC is the "armpit" or bottom of the FBS. Lets look at what they have done just the past year alone. They finished at the top of the soon to be called (Go5) conferences in money paid by the BCS, they won both of their bowl games, and they had most of their conference finish at 6-6 or better. (Not to bad for a bunch of FCS call ups)! The SBC is staying competitive even without stablity in the conference. That speaks highly of the SBC. Now lets look at what Karl Benson has done thus far. He came in and stated that he wanted to get 4 primary bowl tie-ins. What just happend this week. SBC has announced that it will have its forth bowl tie in (Cure Bowl, NO Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Cam. Bowl) the SBC is also part of the rotation for the Bah. Bowl and Miami Bowl. That means that the SBC more than doubled what it's bowl tie ins will be from last year. Karl has stated that he wants and the SBC needs a 12th team to have a CG and that team will need to be out of the east. With everything that Karl has said thus far happening i can not see any reason why we continue to talk about expansion anywhere other than the east. Liberty is now at the top of the list (like it or not), it is about money and a 12th team gets more TV time which will lead to more money. EKU is the 2nd option if Liberty for some reason doesn't say yes (no going to happen). The only other possiblity is if the SBC votes to throw a life line to Umass and offer Football only, then SBC could look at adding a eastern school for all other sports (like UNCA, UNCG, or Furman) someone close to to App St. to break down the travel. Would be nice if they would offer it to a team like Belmont, but i don't see Belmont leaving to come to the SBC for basketball. (SBC at this point is only a one bid conference). I believe that the mass exiting that has occured over the past few years to the SBC is over. With the new bowl games added and the idea that with 12 teams they get CG and then the new CFP payment of 1million per school up to 12 schools. Why would any school leave to go to C-USA that has 14 teams and accept less CFP money? I feel that once the SBC makes that decision on a 12th member for football and other sports then the conference will be set for a good while.

No one here thinks sbc is the arm pit. I disagree with Liberty being number 1,then EKU, then umass. Liberty could be number 1, but it is unlikely and sbc would have announced them already. EKU is a no go for this year. Umass is a no.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
I have to say, i am tired of people saying that the SBC is the "armpit" or bottom of the FBS. Lets look at what they have done just the past year alone. They finished at the top of the soon to be called (Go5) conferences in money paid by the BCS, they won both of their bowl games, and they had most of their conference finish at 6-6 or better. (Not to bad for a bunch of FCS call ups)!
No one said they are an armpit nor ahorrible conference, in fact I really like the SBC and think that they have a solid group of schools with similar missions which can make this a real good conference in the long run. But let's not kid ourselves, the SBC got more money from the BCS because they had less teams, let's not act like they did anything better than the MWC/WAC/MAC who all had team in the BCS, nor even CUSA who almost had a couple. They won 2 bowl games, that's great but having a bunch of team finishing at 6-6 means they just beat each other up not that they had a good year. Omitting WKU and future SBC teams, the SBC went 9-16 against non SBC FBS teams and just 5-4 against FCS teams (which they pay them to come and play). Now, all things considered, the SBC had a good year with a few good wins but they are still a small time conference with 4 decent sized market and little to no FBS pedigree nor bball that will have trouble most years filling 4 bowls.
hibbett2222 wrote:
The SBC is staying competitive even without stablity in the conference. That speaks highly of the SBC.
Define competitive. Going just over .500 against FCS teams isn't good, going just over .500 against FBS teams would be good but they were typically against the worst of the other Go5 conference like SoMiss (1-11), UAB (2-10), Kent St (4-8), Akron (5-7), and Wyoming (5-7). I'll give them credit for beating a BCS team even if it was Wake Forest (4-8) and for winning their 2 bowl games Ball St (10-3) and Tulane (7-6). To put it in perspective, the SBC had 2 winning teams (3 if you count WKU), CUSA had 7, the MWC had 6, the MAC had 5, and the AAC had 4.
hibbett2222 wrote:
Now lets look at what Karl Benson has done thus far. He came in and stated that he wanted to get 4 primary bowl tie-ins. What just happend this week. SBC has announced that it will have its forth bowl tie in (Cure Bowl, NO Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Cam. Bowl) the SBC is also part of the rotation for the Bah. Bowl and Miami Bowl. That means that the SBC more than doubled what it's bowl tie ins will be from last year.
I agree, I think he had a bad rep from the WAC but he's done a good job so far, just needs the 12th and a TV deal (which he'll probably go after once he officially has the CCG).

hibbett2222 wrote:
Karl has stated that he wants and the SBC needs a 12th team to have a CG and that team will need to be out of the east. With everything that Karl has said thus far happening i can not see any reason why we continue to talk about expansion anywhere other than the east. Liberty is now at the top of the list (like it or not), it is about money and a 12th team gets more TV time which will lead to more money. EKU is the 2nd option if Liberty for some reason doesn't say yes (no going to happen).
I agree.

hibbett2222 wrote:
The only other possiblity is if the SBC votes to throw a life line to Umass and offer Football only, then SBC could look at adding a eastern school for all other sports (like UNCA, UNCG, or Furman) someone close to to App St. to break down the travel. Would be nice if they would offer it to a team like Belmont, but i don't see Belmont leaving to come to the SBC for basketball. (SBC at this point is only a one bid conference).
I think UMass is a real possibility, I just don't know if they could join right away or if the have to finish out their contract with the MAC for 2 more year. If they can get out of it then I think it could be a possibility. Take UMass and a bball school in the East and be done. if Idaho drops to FCS then drop UMass and add add NMSU as a full member and then get a school you really want in the East, because as of right now nobody seems thrilled w/ Liberty or JAX St, and EKU doesn't seem ready, and JMU doesn't return your calls.

But as far a bball only options I think your list is flawed, Furman plays fb so they aren't splitting the fb/bb up, UNCA isn't an option either as they bring nothing. The list would be all quality bball adds, East of the Mississippi, no further North than VA/KY, without scholarship football and not in any other FBS conference nor the Big East/A10. IMO it's just:
Charleston (fills in nicely in the gap between GA/NC)
UNCG (you got this one, nice market really ties in the whole state of NC to the SBC)
FGCU (nice large school in Florida, great for recruiting)
Morehead St (might be streching the geography too much and I think they're comfortable)
Belmont (private school, and the SBC is all public schools, still there bb pedigree and geographic location in the large market of Nashville, TN makes them top candidate).
Jacksonville (same as Belmont but in FL)

hibbett2222 wrote:
I believe that the mass exiting that has occured over the past few years to the SBC is over. With the new bowl games added and the idea that with 12 teams they get CG and then the new CFP payment of 1million per school up to 12 schools. Why would any school leave to go to C-USA that has 14 teams and accept less CFP money? I feel that once the SBC makes that decision on a 12th member for football and other sports then the conference will be set for a good while.

I somewhat agree, I don't see expanding for expansions sake (unless JMU already has an unofficial offer, then ULL/Ark St would be next), but the SBC still has some valueable teams in TX St, ULL, Ark St, and GA St,which could get grabbed up by CUSA to replace any losses to the AAC who gets raided by the Big12 or ACC. Keep in mind the SBC has no substantial TV deal and weak bowl deal with lower payouts so while it is less money from playoffs, its actually more total and the schools are of a higher calibur in bball and most other sports, as well as academics...so there is little no no chance that a school in the SBC turns down an offer from CUSA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Sun Belt may have led in the so-called "Group of 5" in terms of money or on other categories. However, keep in mind on the fact that the conference STILL has NEVER had a team (since the conference sponsored that sport in 2001) to at least be on the Top 25 standings in the BCS for at least one week or in the final rankings within a particular season within its 12 years of that sport's existence; not even an aspiring BCS Buster hopeful. For instance, if UL-Lafayette hadn't lost their last two conference games this past season, they would have secured a 10-win season and a chance to be on the Top 25 within the BCS standings; then it would be part of the record books as one of the Sun Belt's most successful schools in that sport. But it didn't happen. Also, recently former schools had partial success. For instance, North Texas won the first 4 conference titles (1 of them was shared), Middle Tennessee St. has 2 conference titles (1 of them was shared), but only FAU and FIU had just once conference title each (at least shared). Of the current members so far, only Troy had 5 conference titles (2 of them were shared, and the last 3 straight were outright), while most recently Arkansas State has a 3rd consecutive conference title (4th overall and 2nd shared, including this past season's share with ULL, 1st shared with also ULL and ULM) after their first 2 straight outright titles as well as 10-win seasons (2011 and 2012) and yet the Red Wolves hadn't been considered to be on the final Top 25 BCS standings. Speaking of 10-win seasons, MTSU had one of those within 2009, who also wasn't being considered to be on the Top 25 BCS standings. So my question is this: "How can the member schools within the Sun Belt progress to be Top 25 material for the polls, now with the BCS being thrown out of the window, in favor of the new College Football Playoff format?". Oh, for any of some C-USA expansion hopefuls, how come Troy was not yet considered on the list, just like UL-Lafayette and Arkansas State?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:22 am 
Senior
Senior

Reading on the AAC and C-USA websits they have stated that the New Orleans bowl will included the AAC starting in 2018. I can't find any information supporting this other then their websites. I know that last year it was annouced that a new deal was signed with SB and C-USA for the bowl to extend through the 2019 season. So how did the AAC get into the bowl in 2018? And what happened to the SBC did they lose this bowl starting in 2019? I don't understand why they would considering that the New Orleans bowl has been the one bowl that has been with the Sun Belt since they became FBS. Anyone have any information?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I do NOT have any direct information.
However, this may have something to do with Tulane moving from CUSA to the AAC.

So many of these secondary and tertiary bowls have a hard time selling seats.
If they can invite teh local team every so often, it braings a windfall in ticket sales.

I think you are assuming that AAC displaced the Sun-Belt. It could be that AAC took the CUSA slot (again I have no direct information).
CUSA has Louisiana Tech, but they are a bit more of a drive than Tulane (right there in New Orleans).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 am 
Senior
Senior

According to the press release by the AAC and the C-USA, starting in 2018 the AAC plays the SBC in the New Orleans bowl but in 2019 the AAC plays C-USA. I don't understand this. The SBC signed an agreement last year with the bowl to extend the bowl between C-USA and SBC through the 2019 season. So how is the SBC not included in the 2019 game? Why is there no press releases explaining this new change?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

from csn board, sounds like UMass or nothing. Possible NMSU all sports?

Quote:This email is being sent on behalf of President Michael Benson.

Dear Campus:

We have learned from the Commissioner of the Sun Belt that we are no longer being considered for expansion at this time. Instead, the member institutions of the Sun Belt seem to be narrowing their attention to those universities currently within the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS), and not to those Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) schools considering a move upward.

We will remain in the Ohio Valley Conference, will continue to improve our facilities and expand our programs, and will compete on the national stage of FCS football.

I have appreciated the input received from interested faculty, staff, and students on the topic of EKU and the future of our athletics program and remain committed to moving our institution forward, both academically and athletically.

Go Eastern!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

I think that UMass for football only is a great pickup since they are already FBS. Don't quite understand the NMSU for all sports though. I think UNCG would be a better option!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 97  Next