NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Huan wrote:
I doubt big xii expansion would trickle down to the SBC:
There are independents like BYU and UMass
As well as CUSA having 14 teams

About the only ways I see the Sunbelt going completely untouched is if C-USA only loses one member in the shuffle and chooses James Madison to fill the void or C-USA loses two members and chooses to hold at 12. Even then, things would have to fall in such a way that the league's geographic divisions were sound.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

It looks Like both Idaho and New Mexico State football will be dropped from the Sub Belt conference after 2017:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... 017-season

So things brings into question what happens next for either school. I'm assumption that the Sun Belt Conference doesn't expect the Big 12 to expand. I guess it's giving them a few years to back peddle should the Big 12 expand but why not give them a year extension and come back to discuses things next year? To me that would have been the better option so they still could be on good terms with both schools if they are needed to fill space should the Big 12 expand.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
It looks Like both Idaho and New Mexico State football will be dropped from the Sub Belt conference after 2017:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... 017-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So things brings into question what happens next for either school. I'm assumption that the Sun Belt Conference doesn't expect the Big 12 to expand. I guess it's giving them a few years to back peddle should the Big 12 expand but why not give them a year extension and come back to discuses things next year? To me that would have been the better option so they still could be on good terms with both schools if they are needed to fill space should the Big 12 expand.

Awful news for both programs. I guess now they need to decide of they want to:

A. Drop to FCS
B. Try to stick it out as independents
C. Try to recruit enough FCS schools to move up so they can try and create a FBS league

The NCAA seems to be ok with letting Coastal Carolina move up even though they are light-years from meeting FBS minimum requirements. Why couldn't they look the other way if Montana, Montana St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Sacramento St (and maybe some others) decided they wanted to move up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:09 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Coastal Carolina isn't "light years" from meeting FBS requirements. All Coastal has to do is expand their stadium, and then average at least 15,000 fans per home game for the 2017 season. That will certainly be achievable given the geography of the Sun Belt works in their favor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

wbyeager wrote:
Coastal Carolina isn't "light years" from meeting FBS requirements. All Coastal has to do is expand their stadium, and then average at least 15,000 fans per home game for the 2017 season. That will certainly be achievable given the geography of the Sun Belt works in their favor.

Averaging 15,000 means more than doubling current attendance figures. Last time I checked people weren't biting and clawing to get a hold of Chanticleers tickets

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:20 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
46566 wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... 017-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Awful news for both programs. I guess now they need to decide of they want to:

A. Drop to FCS
B. Try to stick it out as independents
C. Try to recruit enough FCS schools to move up so they can try and create a FBS league

The NCAA seems to be ok with letting Coastal Carolina move up even though they are light-years from meeting FBS minimum requirements. Why couldn't they look the other way if Montana, Montana St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Sacramento St (and maybe some others) decided they wanted to move up?

I do not know how true it is but here:
http://www.fbschedules.com/2016/03/idah ... 17-season/

it states that Idaho has a invite for Big Sky football.

It might make sense for Idaho to move down to FCS. Though i personally wouldn't mind if they reformed the WAC. You could have a north south division alignment.
North:
Idaho
Idaho State
Montana
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Utah Valley
Seattle(non football)

South:
Grand Canyon
Northern Arizona
New Mexico State
Texas Rio Grande
UC Davis
Cal Poly
Cal State Bakersfield(non football)

This would mean that the WAC can lose Chicago State and UKMC. The Big Sky has a 6 football team conference. They can Bring it up to 7 by offering a spot for San Diego for football only. Of course they can always make a deal for a new FCS conference. Can conferences decide to move their conferences football up from the FCS to FBS or do they need to be invited to pre existing conferences?

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces with comments from NMSU President reacting to yesterday's SBC announcement regarding NMSU FB only membership at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... o/81153448

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise with comments from Idaho AD and President regarding yesterday's SBC announcement regarding Idaho's FB only membership situation at http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/co ... 20292.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566--- You left out a couple schools:

Seattle (nonfootball)
E Washington
Portland St
Idaho
Idaho St
Montana
Montana St
North Dakota

Weber St
Utah Valley (nonfootball)
Southern Utah
N Arizona
Grand Canyon (nonfootball)
Sacramento St
Cal St Bakersfield (nonfootball)
Cal Poly (fb only)
UC Davis (fb only)
N Colorado
NMSU

The northern league gets 8 schools, 7 play football
The southern league gets 9 schools, 6 play football, plus 2 football affiliates (possibly a third if San Diego wants to join)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Ever since Idaho joined the Big Sky, Conf. Commissioner Doug Fullerton has hoped they would drop to FCS and play Big Sky football. That may well happen now.

Don't know if Big Sky would throw NMSU a lifeline as well. They would be school #13.
Ultimately, Sacramento State may want to join the Big West, or North Dakota join the Summit.
So 13 (although awkward) could be temporary. Or Big Sky could offer NMSU a "football only affiliate" deal, but either way, they'd have to drop to FCS.

I am surprised that Sun Belt sort of "rushed" this decision. Maybe they have some sense of what will happen with Big XII. Perhaps they will not be affected. This might be the case if:
Big XII does NOT expand.
Big XII adds Cincy and BYU (indep.), American replaces Cincy with UMass (indep.).
Big XII adds Cincy + one other American school. American replaces those with UMass (indep.) + one CUSA school. MWC grabs UTEP from CUSA (contracting CUSA to 12) and adds BYU (indep.).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

I think the decision for the sun belt to drop both Idaho and nmsu is short sighted
If one of the current 10 leave they won't be able to stage a ccg
I would have kept at least nmsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:23 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
46566--- You left out a couple schools:

Seattle (nonfootball)
E Washington
Portland St
Idaho
Idaho St
Montana
Montana St
North Dakota

Weber St
Utah Valley (nonfootball)
Southern Utah
N Arizona
Grand Canyon (nonfootball)
Sacramento St
Cal St Bakersfield (nonfootball)
Cal Poly (fb only)
UC Davis (fb only)
N Colorado
NMSU

The northern league gets 8 schools, 7 play football
The southern league gets 9 schools, 6 play football, plus 2 football affiliates (possibly a third if San Diego wants to join)

It was more of a 12 team football conference and 14 all but football teams. I left them out as a weaker 7 team Big Sky Conference. The north could recruit in Washington and Utah(guaranteed) the south has access to Texas,Arizona and California. The northern teams will have cross divisional opponents most likely in one of the three states mentioned for the south.
The Big Sky would be in Oregon,California,North Dakota and Utah.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I started a new Idaho/NMSU destination thread so we aren't blowing up the a Sunbelt thread about a matter that is no longer related to that conference.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:02 am 
Senior
Senior

Huan wrote:
I think the decision for the sun belt to drop both Idaho and nmsu is short sighted
If one of the current 10 leave they won't be able to stage a ccg
I would have kept at least nmsu

Agree- I would have given them at least one more extension while the Sunbelt started their Championship Game and watched the B-12 sort through their expansion issues with Oklahoma leading the charge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:50 pm 
Senior
Senior

Though not likely to happen, I would consider arkstate for big xii
Second team in state and with p5 resources could rival arkansas
Upcoming University
Within sec territory

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1802 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121  Next