NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:17 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
After reading this article, now it can be safe to say that Eastern Kentucky is out of the equation (or out of the question) in terms of becoming an upcoming expansion candidate school for the conference.

Yeah they are out of the question for the next few years until they get all the "to do" list finished (if they do). But at least they now know what they have to get done! SBC having these discusssions with these FCS schools (Liberty, Larmar, EKU,etc) is good for them because it allows these school who want to move up, to continue to work on "to do list" so that when the next wave of expansion comes the SBC will have schools in each division to call up to take that spot instead of having to worry about taking whatever is left over. I know people don't like the idea of keep moving up FCS schools, but blame that on the Power 5 conferences that keep expanding. The only option for conferences like SBC is to call up or disband!

The Sun Belt would certainly be disbanded if most of the current members (i.e. ULL or Arkansas St. or Troy) jump-shift to C-USA; which in return the current members of C-USA (maybe UAB or Southern Miss or Rice) jump-shift to the AAC; which in return that schools like either UConn or Cincy or Memphis or USF or UCF jump-shift to the ACC or the Big XII (that's if the Big XII disbands or not to put schools to either the Pac-12 or the SEC or the Big TEN). Will any of those happen? Only we'll find out when the next round of conference realignment of this decade takes place. Let's just say only time will tell.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So we've seen this pattern repeatedly since about 2003 when the ACC first went after BE FB schools.

It starts at the top, then cascades downward.

Haven't seen any conferneces disband
- the WAC did give up football when the only shcools available for re-stocking 2 years ago were non-FB schools.
- the Great West (not really a confernece, more like a scheduling alliance between independents) disappeared when everyone but NJIT got invited to a conference.

So the next big movement would be when the guys at the top decide to expand again, creating openings along the way....

Right now the B1G and SEC seem to be sitting back, surveying the landscape.

The ACC would ideally add Notre Dame for FB (they're not so likely to cooperate), then could go to 16 with one of UConn or Cincy.
They seem to be in a hoding pattern, awaiting the outcome of this Maryland litigation.

The Big XII seems satisfied with sitting tight for now. They are OK with 10, only WVU seems to have issues with the status quo.

The PAC seems stable as is.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
So we've seen this pattern repeatedly since about 2003 when the ACC first went after BE FB schools.

It starts at the top, then cascades downward.

Haven't seen any conferneces disband
- the WAC did give up football when the only shcools available for re-stocking 2 years ago were non-FB schools.
- the Great West (not really a confernece, more like a scheduling alliance between independents) disappeared when everyone but NJIT got invited to a conference.

So the next big movement would be when the guys at the top decide to expand again, creating openings along the way....

Right now the B1G and SEC seem to be sitting back, surveying the landscape.

The ACC would ideally add Notre Dame for FB (they're not so likely to cooperate), then could go to 16 with one of UConn or Cincy.
They seem to be in a hoding pattern, awaiting the outcome of this Maryland litigation.

The Big XII seems satisfied with sitting tight for now. They are OK with 10, only WVU seems to have issues with the status quo.

The PAC seems stable as is.

Two things to touch on here you brought up. First you are right about the ACC, they hold one of the dice to roll. That being if and only if ND decides go all in (FB), then there would be a need for a 16th school and that would be a school along the east coast. ACC could grab UConn (i don't think any other school from a GO5 is in that mix). I think that they would be able to get a school from another P5 conference if they really wanted to (Who that would be, idk but i am sure they have some in mind!). The other dice is held by the Big 12. And this all comes down to what the NCAA decides about how many teams are needed to host a CCG. If NCAA changes it's stance and allows 10 instead of 12 to be the number (which if the Big 12, being a P5 conference) really pushes for, then 10 could become the number. But either way, if 10 is the number them i don't see then expanding at all anytime soon. Why would they, they could have just as much money as the other P5 conferences and split the pie only 10 ways instead of 12,14, or 16. If by some strange chance they don't get their way and the magic number stays at 12 then i do think they will expand to 12 which will cause a two team tumble down all the way to the SBC. AAC will be picked (UConn and Cincy most likely), then two will be picked from each of the Go5 down the line, which would leave two spots open for the SBC to either call up two FCS or see if UTA and ALR wants to start FB back up.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

arkstfan wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
arkstfan wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Good to see you here, arkstfan!

As for Army...it's independence or the MAC. Competitively, they may be able to line up better with the Sun Belt schools, but I don't see other benefits. Army isn't after the kind of kids who go to Sun Belt schools...there's a reason their other sports are in the Patriot. And their AD has and probably will continue to talk down these other programs (I'm sure he's a real peach if one has to work with him). If the Sun Belt is an option, it's because they'd be in with these relatively small FBS programs who used to populate the FCS ranks...but I just don't see it.

I don't really see it being indy or MAC. First MAC is not going to expand anytime soon. They are content to have 12. If they wanted Army they would have added them while Umass was already there to make 14. As for Army not being after the kids who go to Sun Belt School's (not sure what you mean by this!) Sun Belt School are mainly in the south which is very pro military! And the SBC is really the only conference currently that Army could come into and challange for the title immediately. Now as i said before idk if Army is really a option for SBC but if they are then Army (i believe) would like to join SBC as FB only.

Hibbet is saying that the schools in the Sun Belt sign stupid kids who can't get admitted to West Point. Never mind they and the other academies go head-to-head fairly often with Sun Belt schools and as I put in a prior post Army, the least successful of the academies on the field has the fewest southern players of the academies. Navy winner of 9 of the last 11 Commander-in-Chief trophies has nearly 3X as many southerners as Army.

Um no Hibbett is not saying the Schools in the Sun Belt sign stupid kids (where did you get that!) I said that the south is very pro military and have plenty of veterans. I didn't say anything about the students that go to schools in the Sun Belt! Arkstfan must have been half asleep when you wrote that response!

You said Army isn't after the sort of kids who go to Sun Belt schools, there is a reason their other sports are in the Patriot.

So what sort of kid does Army want?
Air Force and especially Navy are signing more southern kids and beating Army regularly.
The south is loaded with kids who consider military service a privilege.
What is it about kids in the Patriot that makes them more compatible for Army? Their point of geographic origin or their academic profile.

If it is point of origin Army deserves their 17 years of futility but be true to who you are at least.
That leaves academics. Sun Belt schools go head-to-head frequently for kids and we always expect it to be a battle because when you are dealing with a 17 or 18 year old in the south promising him an education and six years of employment as an officer I promise you the kid has a close relative telling him about how great their military service was and how awesome it would be to be there as an officer instead of an enlisted like they were.

But I still don't understand what the difference in Patriot League and Sun Belt players is that you are referencing.

I put that one out there. And it isn't an insult on the Sun Belt schools...it's that West Point is going after kids who are doing the whole "college prep" thing by 15 or 16, and they are doing college-level math (not algebra, but calculus and calculus-level physics) their junior year. That's the same track kids going to the Patriot schools are doing (and even there, some of those kids are gunning for those schools much earlier in their secondary education career).

Geographically, yeah, the Sun Belt is a good, and probably better area to be for recruiting...but if I'm Army, I'm trying to be seen more with Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Rice, and Georgia Tech than ULM, TSUSM, and Georgia State. The first group of schools are where the kind of kids who apply and get into West Point go more than the second. And that's why I think the MAC fits better academically...because schools like UMOH, UOh, Buffalo, and others (small, relatively competitive national universities)...institutionally and athletically (smaller budgets and ADs) fits better.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
arkstfan wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
arkstfan wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Good to see you here, arkstfan!

As for Army...it's independence or the MAC. Competitively, they may be able to line up better with the Sun Belt schools, but I don't see other benefits. Army isn't after the kind of kids who go to Sun Belt schools...there's a reason their other sports are in the Patriot. And their AD has and probably will continue to talk down these other programs (I'm sure he's a real peach if one has to work with him). If the Sun Belt is an option, it's because they'd be in with these relatively small FBS programs who used to populate the FCS ranks...but I just don't see it.

I don't really see it being indy or MAC. First MAC is not going to expand anytime soon. They are content to have 12. If they wanted Army they would have added them while Umass was already there to make 14. As for Army not being after the kids who go to Sun Belt School's (not sure what you mean by this!) Sun Belt School are mainly in the south which is very pro military! And the SBC is really the only conference currently that Army could come into and challange for the title immediately. Now as i said before idk if Army is really a option for SBC but if they are then Army (i believe) would like to join SBC as FB only.

Hibbet is saying that the schools in the Sun Belt sign stupid kids who can't get admitted to West Point. Never mind they and the other academies go head-to-head fairly often with Sun Belt schools and as I put in a prior post Army, the least successful of the academies on the field has the fewest southern players of the academies. Navy winner of 9 of the last 11 Commander-in-Chief trophies has nearly 3X as many southerners as Army.

Um no Hibbett is not saying the Schools in the Sun Belt sign stupid kids (where did you get that!) I said that the south is very pro military and have plenty of veterans. I didn't say anything about the students that go to schools in the Sun Belt! Arkstfan must have been half asleep when you wrote that response!

You said Army isn't after the sort of kids who go to Sun Belt schools, there is a reason their other sports are in the Patriot.

So what sort of kid does Army want?
Air Force and especially Navy are signing more southern kids and beating Army regularly.
The south is loaded with kids who consider military service a privilege.
What is it about kids in the Patriot that makes them more compatible for Army? Their point of geographic origin or their academic profile.

If it is point of origin Army deserves their 17 years of futility but be true to who you are at least.
That leaves academics. Sun Belt schools go head-to-head frequently for kids and we always expect it to be a battle because when you are dealing with a 17 or 18 year old in the south promising him an education and six years of employment as an officer I promise you the kid has a close relative telling him about how great their military service was and how awesome it would be to be there as an officer instead of an enlisted like they were.

But I still don't understand what the difference in Patriot League and Sun Belt players is that you are referencing.

I put that one out there. And it isn't an insult on the Sun Belt schools...it's that West Point is going after kids who are doing the whole "college prep" thing by 15 or 16, and they are doing college-level math (not algebra, but calculus and calculus-level physics) their junior year. That's the same track kids going to the Patriot schools are doing (and even there, some of those kids are gunning for those schools much earlier in their secondary education career).

Geographically, yeah, the Sun Belt is a good, and probably better area to be for recruiting...but if I'm Army, I'm trying to be seen more with Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Rice, and Georgia Tech than ULM, TSUSM, and Georgia State. The first group of schools are where the kind of kids who apply and get into West Point go more than the second. And that's why I think the MAC fits better academically...because schools like UMOH, UOh, Buffalo, and others (small, relatively competitive national universities)...institutionally and athletically (smaller budgets and ADs) fits better.

West Point isn't recruiting officers using Army football, the future officers (are preparing for it typically by 15-16. They are recruiting athletes and the enlisted, a large percentage of which come from the South (in both cases).

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
West Point isn't recruiting officers using Army football, the future officers (are preparing for it typically by 15-16. They are recruiting athletes and the enlisted, a large percentage of which come from the South (in both cases).

I don't believe that to be true considering the other athletics are lining up with Patriot schools. Football is serving many functions, and recruiting the officers are part of it as is recruiting the extensions of the Army: reserves, ROTC, etc.

Where Army really wants to be, if it could be there, are in the big state schools, where the flagships are...you get kids who want to fund their careers but don't have the income, and are probably academically more stabilized and disciplined there who fit the requirements of what the Army is trying to fill. Again, not saying Sun Belt schools aren't cutting it...but what percentage of the SBC school students have advanced math and sciences on their transcripts as compared to the big research schools?

It's to that extent, I think Navy was right to go the Big East when it had those big state schools in it. And AFA is exactly where it is, too. Army's out there on its own...and it went to CUSA before the schools who lined up best with them arrived.

UMass and Army are both bad fits for SBC. They "work" because they'll add football. But that's about it. UMass needs it more, but I think they're more of a mismatch than Army is. UMass was where it should have been. And while the A10 fan in me is happy to see them not leaving it, I kind of think that wasn't the right decision...especially if the AAC, ACC, Big Ten, or wherever is where they want to be ultimately.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:08 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Then it is settled. Write it in stone UMASS to sbc football only.
just like it was written in stone for JMU, Liberty, Mo st, and EKU.
I give it less than 2 weeks before it becomes something else, like sbc passing on the 12th.

I hope you're right, that outcome is the suckiest outcome for conference expansion.

I typed 2 weeks, I was thinking 1 week, yet in 5 days the tablet has broken on UMASS. Now the sbc is not adding a member. WRITE IT IN STONE...again.

Now after preparing the world for a 12th, we get nothing for a second year. Did JMU lead the sbc around foolishly. Was the sbc really not prepared? Is Benson and 11 presidents idiots?
Will the sbc have to announce May 22 there will be no 12th after all the drama? if so, they will look extremely foolish and lost. No JMU, NO MO ST, NO SHSU, NO EKU, NO LIBERTY, NO UTC, and NO JSU. No one is left except a dressed up Lamar. Remember this http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31 ... ac-rumors/

Ofcourse some how Lamar devolved from ready to go FBS to its current state of being years and years away from being ready for FBS. sigh, the clues are right there. Those stupid trees blocking the forest.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
[ Again, not saying Sun Belt schools aren't cutting it...but what percentage of the SBC school students have advanced math and sciences on their transcripts as compared to the big research schools?

As an undergrad, I took Calc. I and II and two units of biology and two of chemistry at one of those soon to be SBC schools but didn't major in any science and math. Change of major happens. While the lot of the SBC are not big research schools, there are doctoral programs in their midst. Grad work, I did the multi-big school endeavors.

Choices of schools to attend are not always about academic selection alone. For many, it is about cost, resources, and convenience. Most all the schools are going to get a sizable mixture in student academic profiles.

Big research schools, including AAU ones, both public and private, competing at major levels are 'dipping' when it comes to athletic recruitment. Some do it deeper than others, but they are all making allowances for recruited athletes that don't meet regular standards. Places such as Vanderbilt, Northwestern, and Duke, need not be excluded when it comes to a willingness to do some compromising per fb & bb.

Years ago, a high school teacher friend of mine in south Georgia taught a special education student (not the gifted program) who exhibited nothing to indicate he was college material from an academic standpoint. However, he was a very extraordinary fb player. His name would be highly recognized. He was a star athlete at a highly reputable campus well-known for engineering which is now an AAU member. Of course he didn't graduate, but he sure as heck got admitted and started until the pros' came calling. I know of other examples at other places.

When some big school want a guy and he does not even meet the minimum NCAA requirements, they employ a variety of ways to get him on campus and eligible, not for the school's admissions standards, but to be cleared to play. Results of such are getting more apparent. So many of these pursued guys are given such persistent strokes, benefits, and gifts, they end up receiving such a distorted view of 'self'. Often they lack the maturity to place such localized celebrity in context, and behavioral problems become quickly evident.

There's been more than one coach to lose his job because he was so focused on recruiting athletic talent and conditioning capabilities, that he falsely assumed player assimilation, character development, maturation, and academic progress, would go hand-in-hand with on-field athletic performance.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
I give it less than 2 weeks before it becomes something else, like sbc passing on the 12th.

I hope you're right, that outcome is the suckiest outcome for conference expansion.

I typed 2 weeks, I was thinking 1 week, yet in 5 days the tablet has broken on UMASS. Now the sbc is not adding a member. WRITE IT IN STONE...again.

Now after preparing the world for a 12th, we get nothing for a second year. Did JMU lead the sbc around foolishly. Was the sbc really not prepared? Is Benson and 11 presidents idiots?
Will the sbc have to announce May 22 there will be no 12th after all the drama? if so, they will look extremely foolish and lost. No JMU, NO MO ST, NO SHSU, NO EKU, NO LIBERTY, NO UTC, and NO JSU. No one is left except a dressed up Lamar. Remember this http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31 ... ac-rumors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ofcourse some how Lamar devolved from ready to go FBS to its current state of being years and years away from being ready for FBS. sigh, the clues are right there. Those stupid trees blocking the forest.

I still hear UMass, but I've never heard Lamar

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:02 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:

Will the sbc have to announce May 22 there will be no 12th after all the drama? if so, they will look extremely foolish and lost. No JMU, NO MO ST, NO SHSU, NO EKU, NO LIBERTY, NO UTC, and NO JSU. No one is left except a dressed up Lamar. Remember this http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31 ... ac-rumors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also heard JMU, MSU, EKU, UTC, ETC ETC...SHSU was widely mentioned, but never Lamar.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:

Will the sbc have to announce May 22 there will be no 12th after all the drama? if so, they will look extremely foolish and lost. No JMU, NO MO ST, NO SHSU, NO EKU, NO LIBERTY, NO UTC, and NO JSU. No one is left except a dressed up Lamar. Remember this http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31 ... ac-rumors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You also heard JMU, MSU, EKU, UTC, ETC ETC...SHSU was widely mentioned, but never Lamar.

yeah and you said you have no doubt it's Lamar. UTC, SHSU were never options. Why do you keep trying to turn this to who else it isn't and not come to terms that it isn't Lamar. And Lamar as a last option for the WAC along w/ Liberty and CAA schools does NOT equal SBC invite. Liberty is ready too and they don't want them b/c of their beliefs and they don't want Lamar b/c they're west, and according to another poster, they don't have enough seating in their stadium.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure if what I'm about to say is unbiased or not, but to me Lamar would only be considered to be in the conversation, if and only if the Sun Belt once reaches 12-14 all-sports schools (including non-fb schools like UALR and UTA) within its membership, then would lose potential schools like ULL or Ark. St. or Troy or such; despite the facilities needing to be already expanded and renewed. Just my thought of expression.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:57 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:

Will the sbc have to announce May 22 there will be no 12th after all the drama? if so, they will look extremely foolish and lost. No JMU, NO MO ST, NO SHSU, NO EKU, NO LIBERTY, NO UTC, and NO JSU. No one is left except a dressed up Lamar. Remember this http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/01/31 ... ac-rumors/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yeah and you said you have no doubt it's Lamar. UTC, SHSU were never options. Why do you keep trying to turn this to who else it isn't and not come to terms that it isn't Lamar. And Lamar as a last option for the WAC along w/ Liberty and CAA schools does NOT equal SBC invite. Liberty is ready too and they don't want them b/c of their beliefs and they don't want Lamar b/c they're west, and according to another poster, they don't have enough seating in their stadium.

Does it make sense for Lamar to build a fbs stadium without a fbs invite? maybe you should ask that poster. I have posted very strong evidence that the 12th could be Lamar. You dismiss it away. Lamar is in the west, so is mo st. I was told by someone at Lamar that Lamar was joining the sbc this year. Dismissed away, I was lied too. But inside sources for JMU, MSU, and EKU were all taking as fact. How did those facts work out?
Why do I try to turn it into who is not coming? It is called deducting reasoning. If it is not JMU, EKU, MSU, Liberty, UMASS, then who? who else is left? It is possible the sbc take another pass on the 12th. You say I need to come to terms with Lamar is not the 12th. Give me a good reason.
Lamar not being in the east is not a good reason neither is csnbbs posters rejected Lamar.
If I am wrong, at least I had strong evidence. You seem to be just following the crowd. The same crowd that is 0-8 at picking the 12th so far.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:02 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Not sure if what I'm about to say is unbiased or not, but to me Lamar would only be considered to be in the conversation, if and only if the Sun Belt once reaches 12-14 all-sports schools (including non-fb schools like UALR and UTA) within its membership, then would lose potential schools like ULL or Ark. St. or Troy or such; despite the facilities needing to be already expanded and renewed. Just my thought of expression.

Well give your evidence on why Lamar can't be the 12th.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

Well give your evidence on why Lamar can't be the 12th.

First things first, I don't have evidence about it. Even if I do research about it, why should I? Besides, I was sharing an opinion, NOT demanding or ordering something about it. For instance, you've kept believing on Lamar to become the next school in line to be in the Sun Belt. In my case, I kept believing that the conference should either have New Mexico St. for all sports, UTA and UALR (either one of them or both) to re-instate/add football (which they once have in the past) and/or add several non-football all-sports schools (i.e.: Jacksonville, a former Sun Belt member who has non-scholarship football in the PFL; or Belmont or Northern Kentucky or such). However, in the end of the day, and with several time before July 1st of this year, it will ultimately be upto either Commissioner Benson and/or the presidents/athletic directors/staff members of all the schools within the current membership of the conference to decide; ESPECIALLY with finding that 12th member (football-only, non-football all-sports or all-sports plus football alike). So far, in this particular thread within the forums, we've mentioned and discussed on several schools, and Lamar was one them. So far, James Madison and Eastern Kentucky are the only ones that are clearly out of the equation; while we mentioned Sam Houston St., Stephen F. Austin St., some schools from the Southland, Jacksonville St., Mizzou St., UT-Chattanooga, to even Liberty.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 94  Next