NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:01 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 121  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:34 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
playa4life wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
It's about stability. The WAC is totally unstable. ALL of those programs are looking for the first conference invite they can get. At least in the SBC, NMSU can feel situated with a group of schools that also won't be going anywhere for a bit.

Honestly, if things weren't so messy out west, NMSU's best bet would be to hook up with the Big Sky or Big West. The far easier solution: tell the few MWC schools with a stick up their butts to just invite them and be done with it.

I totally agree with Bishin on most of what he said. The WAC has been unstable on its debut season as a non-football conference since dropping that sport following the 2012-13 with most of the member schools heading to the MW (San Jose St. & Utah St.), the Sun Belt (Texas St. & UT-Arlington [non-fb]) and C-USA (UTSA & Louisiana Tech), with Denver heading to the Summit (in my mind, don't know the reason, trying to be the replacement of Oral Roberts and Southern Utah?); while that conference's footprint is similar to the former Great West Conference's with Midwest schools in Chicago St. and UMKC.

Also, it would be better for NMSU to either follow Idaho's steps and have their non-football sports to the Big Sky or re-join the Big West, just in case they won't go full in the Sun Belt or even to C-USA (with a possible near travel partner in UTEP). Because sooner or later, NMSU won't be staying in the WAC forever, with or without success alike. The key factor is about fitting in the right regional conference to develop and apply some athletic competition within.

P.S.: @playa4life - If you want to see Lamar to be the next member of the Sun Belt, then why not having 2-3 more schools with football from the West side of the Sun Belt's footprint (including NMSU for all sports)? That way, it would put both Arkansas schools (Arkansas St. & UALR [non-fb]) on the East Division and to balance things out. For instance:

Sun Belt East:

Appalachian St.
Georgia Southern
Georgia St.
South Alabama
Troy
Arkansas St.
UALR (non-fb)
East Division ??? full member with football (i.e.: Liberty?)
East Division ??? football-only member (i.e.: UMass or such?)

Sun Belt West:

UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe
Texas St.
UT-Arlington (non-fb)
Lamar
New Mexico St. (all-sports?)
West Division ??? full member with football no. 1 (i.e.: Sam Houston St.)
West Division ??? full member with football no. 2 (i.e.: Stephen F. Austin St.?)
Idaho (fb-only)

Hope this helps. Any thoughts?
Because I don't have a vote. My logic behind Lamar is there is no one left, that makes sense, to invite. I ask who? Lamar is the only reasonable school dressed up ready to go. If not Lamar, then I see no one getting the invite. If no one is invited, after all the drama, the sbc will look like fbs bottom feeder conference. The conference everyone wants out.

@playa4life - Ummm.... Not sure if you know this or not, but haven't you yet seen my predicted division alignment format for the Sun Belt (in bold letters) if it goes beyond 12? Plus, I even added Lamar in the mix.
It is not what you or I want. I am trying to figure out what the sbc will do.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:38 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
all your blah blah blah after the fact, you said "god of swish" (benson) said 12 no matter what.

Was it Lamar?

Was it 12 no matter what?

:roll:

jmu not in, eku not in, umass not in, you were wrong 3 times to my 1.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 11:42 am 
Senior
Senior

insomniaisevil wrote:
playa4life wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
well 26 days left until we can eliminate the fcs schools as options and a month and 26 days until we can eliminate UMass. So far our only facts are that EKU is out and their Prez says school not coming from FCS, JMU says they won't join the SBC, Mo St. says no contact w/ SBC, nevermind playa's and the sbc board's other "facts"

Why would Lamar upgrade facilities, same reason EKU(not moving up now), Mo St.(not moving up now), JMU(not moving up now) did, to one day be in position to hopefully get picked by an fbs conf. they're happy w/ and to build a better FCS program while they are waiting for a day that may never come.

We will know in 12 days. No travel partner for football so ULM will gladly play in the weaker east. Same for basketball, east overall weaker so ULM will go east. GSU will be app st travel partner.

Once again, those upgrades were for fcs. Lamar upgraded to fcs when football returned. Lamar recent upgrades were for fbs.

So it sounds like you are saying that we should expect Lamar to be the added 12th member in 12 days? If so do you have any information to back up that statement? I mean to me, it makes more since to ad one school even if in the west then to add Umass and NMSU (all sports). The addition of NMSU doesn't help with any travel partners for any east team for all non-FB sports. So if it is Lamar that would be ok, just would like to see some facts to back up the statement!

I posted facts.
Fact 1. Benson visit to Lamar, he left a too do list.
2. Lamar gave coach and staff a fbs salary. Lamar is fcs. Coach hasn't had a winning season.
3. Lamar raised budget to mid sbc. A budget that big is not needed in the slc.
4. I was told, Fresno think I was lied too, Lamar was joining the sbc this year.
----------
coincidences
1. tsus meeting following sbc meeting.
2. Lamar unusual strong recruiting. for example, Lamar only fcs school among fbs schools offering certain recruits. why would the recruit choose fcs over fbs. why is Lamar wasting time and energy recruiting with the big schools. Lamar has already landed a few recruits against sbc/cusa schools. strange.
3. slc changed Lamar schedule to a strange schedule taking out important playoff type games and replacing it with meaningless games against ICW, ACU, and HBU. strange. kinda like a transition year schedule.
-------------
How would sbc benefit with Lamar.
1. top 3 football recruiting hot spots in Texas. Houston, dfw, setx. Lamar is in setx and 1 hour from Houston. helps sbc recruiting.
2. Lamar suppose to have tv deal with comcast houston. sbc on tv in houston.
3. within foot print of sbc. allows nmsu to become all sports in the future.

Maybe I am so bias I am reaching, but it makes sense to me.

Current sbc options.
1. take no one. very strange move because of all the 12th team drama. was the sbc really caught flat footed to be stuck with this option for a second year.
2. Liberty. a very different type school compared to other sbc schools.
3. umass with/without nmsu... my opinion, unlikely. keeps sbc further unstable and uncertain future.
i don't see sbc wanting umass and umass wanting sbc.
4. who else? Lamar or we just continue to dismiss Lamar because we don't like that option.

Here is all the "logic" everyone is referring to. Just admit you were wrong and making things up. It's not all that hard.

Otherwise, I think there may be a point in responding to these posts in the same way as talking to children who are excited about fantasies. "So there are spacemen in the backyard you were playing with Billy? Thats really nice. I am sure there are."

Substitute in words "So there was Benson visit?"...and it works.

:D

Please understand I'm just making light of all the previous posts because it's all quite funny.

LAMAR4LIFE!

Why aren't you teasing everyone else who was wrong? there must be a reason you single me out.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

playa4life wrote:
insomniaisevil wrote:
playa4life wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
well 26 days left until we can eliminate the fcs schools as options and a month and 26 days until we can eliminate UMass. So far our only facts are that EKU is out and their Prez says school not coming from FCS, JMU says they won't join the SBC, Mo St. says no contact w/ SBC, nevermind playa's and the sbc board's other "facts"

Why would Lamar upgrade facilities, same reason EKU(not moving up now), Mo St.(not moving up now), JMU(not moving up now) did, to one day be in position to hopefully get picked by an fbs conf. they're happy w/ and to build a better FCS program while they are waiting for a day that may never come.

We will know in 12 days. No travel partner for football so ULM will gladly play in the weaker east. Same for basketball, east overall weaker so ULM will go east. GSU will be app st travel partner.

Once again, those upgrades were for fcs. Lamar upgraded to fcs when football returned. Lamar recent upgrades were for fbs.

So it sounds like you are saying that we should expect Lamar to be the added 12th member in 12 days? If so do you have any information to back up that statement? I mean to me, it makes more since to ad one school even if in the west then to add Umass and NMSU (all sports). The addition of NMSU doesn't help with any travel partners for any east team for all non-FB sports. So if it is Lamar that would be ok, just would like to see some facts to back up the statement!

I posted facts.
Fact 1. Benson visit to Lamar, he left a too do list.
2. Lamar gave coach and staff a fbs salary. Lamar is fcs. Coach hasn't had a winning season.
3. Lamar raised budget to mid sbc. A budget that big is not needed in the slc.
4. I was told, Fresno think I was lied too, Lamar was joining the sbc this year.
----------
coincidences
1. tsus meeting following sbc meeting.
2. Lamar unusual strong recruiting. for example, Lamar only fcs school among fbs schools offering certain recruits. why would the recruit choose fcs over fbs. why is Lamar wasting time and energy recruiting with the big schools. Lamar has already landed a few recruits against sbc/cusa schools. strange.
3. slc changed Lamar schedule to a strange schedule taking out important playoff type games and replacing it with meaningless games against ICW, ACU, and HBU. strange. kinda like a transition year schedule.
-------------
How would sbc benefit with Lamar.
1. top 3 football recruiting hot spots in Texas. Houston, dfw, setx. Lamar is in setx and 1 hour from Houston. helps sbc recruiting.
2. Lamar suppose to have tv deal with comcast houston. sbc on tv in houston.
3. within foot print of sbc. allows nmsu to become all sports in the future.

Maybe I am so bias I am reaching, but it makes sense to me.

Current sbc options.
1. take no one. very strange move because of all the 12th team drama. was the sbc really caught flat footed to be stuck with this option for a second year.
2. Liberty. a very different type school compared to other sbc schools.
3. umass with/without nmsu... my opinion, unlikely. keeps sbc further unstable and uncertain future.
i don't see sbc wanting umass and umass wanting sbc.
4. who else? Lamar or we just continue to dismiss Lamar because we don't like that option.

Here is all the "logic" everyone is referring to. Just admit you were wrong and making things up. It's not all that hard.

Otherwise, I think there may be a point in responding to these posts in the same way as talking to children who are excited about fantasies. "So there are spacemen in the backyard you were playing with Billy? Thats really nice. I am sure there are."

Substitute in words "So there was Benson visit?"...and it works.

:D

Please understand I'm just making light of all the previous posts because it's all quite funny.

LAMAR4LIFE!

Why aren't you teasing everyone else who was wrong? there must be a reason you single me out.

Just because your comments were said with a lot of certainty and with nothing backing them up. Came off pretty silly sounding.

Everyone else was just sort of guessing. Then you never backed off those comments.

I am pretty sure that's why everyone else was laughing too.

It's all in fun. Making these predictions shouldn't be taken TOO seriously, unless you have the power to actually make them happen. At least that's my opinion.

Not meaning to offend, just bring a little humor.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:31 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Again, can't the focus here be changed guys? Even the most adamant voyeur at some point would get tired of watching dominatrix Madame Fifi delivering lashes.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:45 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

louisvillecard01 wrote:
Again, can't the focus here be changed guys? Even the most adamant voyeur at some point would get tired of watching dominatrix Madame Fifi delivering lashes.

Best comment ever.

Back to the topic, here's a question/thought that not only applies to the Sun Belt...

We keep seeing conference after conference scrambling for members and scrambling to survive. Look at the WAC or the Atlantic Sun (soon). To relate this to the Sun Belt, we are talking about scrambling for members to play the conference championship game. It took the AAC/oBE a few years to get there too. Then there is always the Big 12(10) that everyone is predicting doom for.

I fail to understand why these conferences aren't more proactive and less reactive. Get the membership #s up. Obviously you don't want to take just anyone or you may end up as CUSA...but at the same time, CUSA isn't fighting to survive. They can now stand to lose a school or two and be ok.

Why aren't we seeing the lower end conferences like the Sun Belt finding a way to jump the numbers higher, even if maybe a school isn't a perfect fit, just to be ahead of the curve? It really feels like the AAC and Sun Belt should be closer to 14. Possibly the same for the MWC (though they seem to be stolen from less). The Big 12 should have gone to 12 as well.

It's what the power conferences are doing. Everyone else should be doing the same. Bring the schools in and build them up. It has worked in the past. Cincinnati and Louisville, for example, aren't exactly the same programs that left CUSA just a few years ago.

Come on Sun Belt...just find SOMEONE.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:21 pm 
Senior
Senior

How about we turn our focus to the schools that are in the SBC for this upcoming FB season and predict what the final standings will be and who goes to bowls!
Right off the bat we know that App St ,Georgia Southern and Idaho will not be eligbile for Bowl games. So that leaves 8 teams for 3 bowl spots unless one of them somehow gets in the Access Bowl by way of the highest ranking Go5 Conference winner. ULL has to be the heavy favorite along with Ark St. Look for Tex St and South Ala, to be contenders or that 3rd bowl spot. ULM has a very tough schedule and will be lucky to be 6-6. I think that App St has a fairly easy schedule and could be 6-6 if not 7-5. (Although they are not able to go bowling)!
I see it finishing this way
ULL
ARK ST
TEX ST
SOUTH ALA
TROY
APP ST
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
ULM
NEW MEXICO ST
IDAHO
GEORGIA STATE

Bowls
New Orleans Bowl- ULL
Go Daddy Bowl- ARK ST
Raycom Cam Bowl- TEX ST

What you got?

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
How about we turn our focus to the schools that are in the SBC for this upcoming FB season and predict what the final standings will be and who goes to bowls!
Right off the bat we know that App St ,Georgia Southern and Idaho will not be eligbile for Bowl games. So that leaves 8 teams for 3 bowl spots unless one of them somehow gets in the Access Bowl by way of the highest ranking Go5 Conference winner. ULL has to be the heavy favorite along with Ark St. Look for Tex St and South Ala, to be contenders or that 3rd bowl spot. ULM has a very tough schedule and will be lucky to be 6-6. I think that App St has a fairly easy schedule and could be 6-6 if not 7-5. (Although they are not able to go bowling)!
ULL
ARK ST
TEX ST
SOUTH ALA
TROY
APP ST
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
ULM
NEW MEXICO ST
IDAHO
GEORGIA STATE

Bowls
New Orleans Bowl- ULL
Go Daddy Bowl- ARK ST
Raycom Cam Bowl- TEX ST

What you got?

How come Idaho won't be eligible for a bowl game; but not NMSU? But I believe that the 3rd bowl contender should be Troy, which they had been conference champs in the past few seasons before 2011. Plus, despite of that, it will STILL not bring any contender to be ranked on the Top 25 polls (AP/Coaches). It never has back in the BCS era either. Just hope that the CFP format will pay off to every team in the Sun Belt. Best of luck!

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
all your blah blah blah after the fact, you said "god of swish" (benson) said 12 no matter what.

Was it Lamar?

Was it 12 no matter what?

:roll:

jmu not in, eku not in, umass not in, you were wrong 3 times to my 1.

I didn't say they were in, I said all were higher on the list than Lamar. I also said JMU needs to take the spot if they want in the FBS b/c who knows if or when the MAC will take them. As for UMass I said they don't have to add them for fb only now, they can wait until next summer IF they take them. They may even have to wait for 2016 for UMass if they don't want to pay the buyout.

Edit:Freaked

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
ULL
ARK ST
TEX ST
SOUTH ALA
TROY
APP ST
GEORGIA SOUTHERN
ULM
NEW MEXICO ST
IDAHO
GEORGIA STATE

Bowls
New Orleans Bowl- ULL
Go Daddy Bowl- ARK ST
Raycom Cam Bowl- TEX ST

What you got?

How come Idaho won't be eligible for a bowl game; but not NMSU? But I believe that the 3rd bowl contender should be Troy, which they had been conference champs in the past few seasons before 2011. Plus, despite of that, it will STILL not bring any contender to be ranked on the Top 25 polls (AP/Coaches). It never has back in the BCS era either. Just hope that the CFP format will pay off to every team in the Sun Belt. Best of luck!

Idaho is not eligible due to their APR see link attached http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/04/2 ... tball.html

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
It is not what you or I want. I am trying to figure out what the sbc will do.

Oh, really? In case you hadn't noticed, I'm also trying MY hardest to figure out within a few years time. And I was hoping that my predicted variation might give us fans an idea or two. You asked (no wait, you DEMANDED) Lamar as a candidate. So I put it on the model as a West Division member, while putting UALR and Arkansas St. in the East Division; as well as I added two empty slots for all sports + football and NMSU for all sports with Idaho for football in the West Division while putting an empty slot for all sports + football and an empty slot for football-only. Hope this helps YOU to analyze something in mind. That's all I wanted to suggest!

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 4:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
Idaho is not eligible due to their APR see link attached http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/04/2 ... tball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, that explains why. But I hope you didn't ignore my sincere opinion about the league's performance with this sport, like this:

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Plus, despite of that, it will STILL not bring any contender to be ranked on the Top 25 polls (AP/Coaches). It never has back in the BCS era either. Just hope that the CFP format will pay off to every team in the Sun Belt. Best of luck!

Wanna hear your thoughts and the rest of the guys about this.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:11 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
Idaho is not eligible due to their APR see link attached http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/04/2 ... tball.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh, that explains why. But I hope you didn't ignore my sincere opinion about the league's performance with this sport, like this:

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Plus, despite of that, it will STILL not bring any contender to be ranked on the Top 25 polls (AP/Coaches). It never has back in the BCS era either. Just hope that the CFP format will pay off to every team in the Sun Belt. Best of luck!

Wanna hear your thoughts and the rest of the guys about this.

Not exactly sure what you are saying but i will attempt to answer what i think you are talking about (sorry if i am wrong). I understand you to say that the SBC has never had a school ranked in the Top 25 and i assume you are implying that unless they can get a team ranked in the top 25 then the SBC will not be in the hunt for the Access Bowl. You are correct in that statement. However the SBC is very close to having a team (ULL) that could break through into the top 25 this year. ULL is getting a lot of talk from SI about being in the hunt for the Access Bowl bid. Other schools in the hunt are UCF, ECU, and other's that slip my mind right now. If you are interested you can google SI top teams for Access bowl and see the list of teams. The saving grace (so to speak) is that the Access Bowl will be awarded to the conference winner that is ranked the highest. Doesn't have to be a Top 25 ranked team (if none of the Go5 conference Champions are ranked in the top 25 then whichever is ranked the highest would go. Granted one would think that at least one or two of the conference champions will be ranked at the end of the year.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 6:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
Not exactly sure what you are saying but i will attempt to answer what i think you are talking about (sorry if i am wrong). I understand you to say that the SBC has never had a school ranked in the Top 25 and i assume you are implying that unless they can get a team ranked in the top 25 then the SBC will not be in the hunt for the Access Bowl. You are correct in that statement. However the SBC is very close to having a team (ULL) that could break through into the top 25 this year. ULL is getting a lot of talk from SI about being in the hunt for the Access Bowl bid. Other schools in the hunt are UCF, ECU, and other's that slip my mind right now. If you are interested you can google SI top teams for Access bowl and see the list of teams. The saving grace (so to speak) is that the Access Bowl will be awarded to the conference winner that is ranked the highest. Doesn't have to be a Top 25 ranked team (if none of the Go5 conference Champions are ranked in the top 25 then whichever is ranked the highest would go. Granted one would think that at least one or two of the conference champions will be ranked at the end of the year.

You do have a point Hibbett. So thanks for trying to understand what I was saying. However, I did stated at one point that at least there was a 10-win season team in the Sun Belt (such as Middle Tennessee in 2009, and Arkansas St. in 2011 and 2012), despite not receiving a voting to be in the Top 25. But now with the CFP format, will it still make or break an opportunity for any Sun Belt school (such as Arkansas St. or ULL) in order to be in a major bowl such as the Fiesta or Peach (pfff, Chick-fil-A, C'mon man! Gimme a break!) or Cotton Bowls?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:53 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
EDITED - REMOVED by Quinn

Dude,
quit getting so personal. You have no authority here.
It's not up to you to decide who can express themselves here.
It's not up to you to approve everyone's opinions. This is a discussion board....not Fresno State's discussion board.

Why don't you step down of your high horse and let people enjoy discussing issues. No one needs you to agree with them. You are not always right...and you aren't a higher up in any of these conferences. So, stop acting like your sh!t don't stink.

Big XII

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 121  Next