NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:33 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 121  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I am a fan of the SBC and C-USA realigning to become more regional. C-USA is marginally more marketable with their better tv markets but any financial advantage they have in that regard is negated by travel expenditures in a conference that spans from WV south to FL and west to EL Paso. I think playing a more regional schedule also means more heated rivalries--UTSA and Texas St needs to be a yearly occurrence. LA Tech needs to play ULL, ULM, and Arkansas St. Appalachian St vs Charlotte could be a budding rivalry; the same with Charlotte and Georgia St as they are in the Southeast's two biggest metro areas.

The big question would be where do USM and the 3 Alabama schools go?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:01 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
I am a fan of the SBC and C-USA realigning to become more regional. C-USA is marginally more marketable with their better tv markets but any financial advantage they have in that regard is negated by travel expenditures in a conference that spans from WV south to FL and west to EL Paso. I think playing a more regional schedule also means more heated rivalries--UTSA and Texas St needs to be a yearly occurrence. LA Tech needs to play ULL, ULM, and Arkansas St. Appalachian St vs Charlotte could be a budding rivalry; the same with Charlotte and Georgia St as they are in the Southeast's two biggest metro areas.

The big question would be where do USM and the 3 Alabama schools go?

I think this is a GREAT idea. There is no reason that 2 fairly identical (close enough) conferences shouldn't merge then split into regional conferences. I think Marshall, UTEP, Rice, and maybe another will end up in a different conference down the road. A quick West/East split of those current schools could be:

West Conference: Idaho, New Mexico St, UTEP, UTSA, Texas St, North Texas, Rice, Louisiana Tech, UL Lafayette, UL Monroe, Southern Miss, UAB
East Conference:Troy, South Alabama, FAU, FIU, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Charlotte, Appalachian St, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee St, Marshall, Massachusetts?

I added Massachusetts to the East because they will no longer be in the MAC and it evens out the conferences to 12 each. I also kept Southern Miss and UAB together due to their rivalry. The eye-test does seem to show these conferences to be fairly even.

*EDIT --- I forgot Arkansas St somehow! So I would instead kick out Massachusetts and add Arkansas St to the East because they are in the upper NE corner of the state --- sorry Minutemen*

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:31 am 
Senior
Senior

I don't see any merger between C-USA and SBC. IF the C-USA had it their way they would want the SBC completely dissolved not merge with them. Most of the C-USA schools are past SBC school that left because they think C-USA is a step up. There would be no way these school Presidents would want to re-classify themselves and be joined again with schools they think are not their equal. That being said, I believe that the SBC is a better Football conference then the C-USA currently and that over the next few years SBC Champion will be ranked higher then C-USA and MAC champ. What hurts the SBC is the lack of good Basketball schools. Georgia St. and ULL are really it. The next invite to the SBC needs to be a school with a good basketball program. Again I think Missouri State fits this bill. EKU went to the big dance last year so they would be a good add also. In regards to Texas St. staying in SBC, I don't see them leaving anytime soon if at all. There are so many schools from Texas in FBS already. Big 12 is majority Texas schools, C-USA has multiple, American has a couple, SEC has one. Why would any of these conferences want another Texas School? Texas St. Needs NMSU to get better and become a rivalry game. If and when this happens I think it will only enhance the SBC in that region. It would be great if UTA re-started football to give Texas St. a natural rivalry but that not going to happen anytime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:58 am 
Senior
Senior

hibbett2222 wrote:
I don't see any merger between C-USA and SBC.

I don't think anyone actually does.

hibbett2222 wrote:
Most of the C-USA schools are past SBC school that left because they think C-USA is a step up.

The CUSA name does hold more weight, currently, than the Sun Belt name does. I can't imagine any CUSA schools wanting to mix. Only Old Dominion and Charlotte have made the skip over the Sun Belt, but those are schools in solid markets with solid athletic programs.

hibbett2222 wrote:
I believe that the SBC is a better Football conference then the C-USA currently and that over the next few years SBC Champion will be ranked higher then C-USA and MAC champ.

This is definitely true right now. I do believe the MAC will be the stronger of the 3 in the long run though.

hibbett2222 wrote:
The next invite to the SBC needs to be a school with a good basketball program. Again I think Missouri State fits this bill. EKU went to the big dance last year so they would be a good add also.

This is very true. CUSA has Southern Miss, UAB, Western Kentucky, and Middle Tennessee who all have recently made the tournament. I might have missed a couple. Sun Belt has UL Lafayette and Georgia St, but remember they added New Mexico St who is a perennial tournament bid school.

hibbett2222 wrote:
In regards to Texas St. staying in SBC, I don't see them leaving anytime soon if at all. There are so many schools from Texas in FBS already. Big 12 is majority Texas schools, C-USA has multiple, American has a couple, SEC has one. Why would any of these conferences want another Texas School?

I don't see Texas St leaving the Sun Belt either. They are in a good position of power in the conference being the only Texas school. The XII won't add another Texas school even if another one leaves unless Houston shows a heck of a lot more promise, but even then I don't see it happening. CUSA won't add another as they already have four in different major markets (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso). The American would likely only add Baylor or TCU if the XII were to ever fold. I know the SEC has a policy on not adding schools in their current footprint, but the right school/time/price/opportunity/etc. may come up so never say never.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:09 am 
Senior
Senior

one correction on your post. NMSU is a Football only invite to the SBC, their Basketball team is still in the WAC.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Here's a quick reshuffling for a regional SBC and SWC:

SBC North--Marshall, ODU, App St, Charlotte, WKU, MTSU
SBC South--FAU, FIU, GA St, GA Southern, S Alabama, Troy

SWC East--UAB, USM, ULL, ULM, LA Tech, Ark St
SWC West--UNT, Rice, Texas St, UTSA, UTEP, NMSU

UTA and UALR can go with the SWC if the SWC will have them. UAB goes west to maintain their historic relationship with USM.

I would recommend that they collectively refer to their partnership as Conference USA and have their champions meet in one of the minor bowls they have.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:

UTA and UALR can go with the SWC if the SWC will have them. UAB goes west to maintain their historic relationship with USM.

I would recommend that they collectively refer to their partnership as Conference USA and have their champions meet in one of the minor bowls they have.

I like this BUT realistically the only way this happens is if they start a new conference and my guess is that it would come from the SW...but instead of ULM who brings nothing add GA St and you have a really good conference.
SWC East--UAB, USM, ULL, LA Tech, Ark St, GA St

Same with the CUSA, they won't invite every leftover SBC member so ULM and Troy don't make the cut.

CUSA North--Marshall, UDel, ODU, JMU, App St, Charlotte
CUSA South--FAU, FIU, GA Southern, S Alabama, MTSU, WKU

So the SBC is sad again and adds a bunch of new friends

SBC West--Idaho (fb only), Montana (fb only), Mont St (fb only) Lamar, SHSU, ULM,
SBC East--Troy, JAX St, MO St, EKU, Liberty, UMass (fb only)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

I like this BUT realistically the only way this happens is if they start a new conference and my guess is that it would come from the SW...but instead of ULM who brings nothing add GA St and you have a really good conference.
SWC East--UAB, USM, ULL, LA Tech, Ark St, GA St

Same with the CUSA, they won't invite every leftover SBC member so ULM and Troy don't make the cut.

CUSA North--Marshall, UDel, ODU, JMU, App St, Charlotte
CUSA South--FAU, FIU, GA Southern, S Alabama, MTSU, WKU

So the SBC is sad again and adds a bunch of new friends

SBC West--Idaho (fb only), Montana (fb only), Mont St (fb only) Lamar, SHSU, ULM,
SBC East--Troy, JAX St, MO St, EKU, Liberty, UMass (fb only)

If the goal is Southwestern geographic compactness and maximizing market value then I'd dump NMSU and UTEP and swap them for MTSU and WKU or MTSU and Charlotte.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:03 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Having 5 Texas schools in one division...would not be beneficial to the Texas schools.

Big XII

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:42 am 
Senior
Senior

I agree. I don't understand why people keep wanting/thinking that C-USA and SBC will combine. Not going to happen. Again C-USA members think they are above the SBC members. Travel is not a real issue. With the Increase in money from the CFP contract these conferences and schools will make almost 4 times as much as they did under the BCS contract. Conferences were making about 3 million under the BCS contract now will be making about 12 million.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:01 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Like many others have stated....I feel that the SBC has some schools that are worthy of being in the next highest conference. Unfortunately, the next most likely home...is totally full...and just a bit large with big gaps between schools(CUSA).
And like CUSA...the MWC is put together very similarly(spread out all over the place...with big gaps in certain areas).

IF,
there was a way to help all these conferences form better footprints....then why not??

-CUSA- could split into two, East and West...and each side pulls up the best SBC or the eastern schools from the MWC.
-The MWC adds....schools that help fill their footprint in the west. Areas such as Washington, Idaho, Utah, California, etc. Schools such as: UC Davis, Cap Poly?, E. Washington, Idaho, NMSU(if UNM didn't leave), Gonzaga(for Hawaii non fb), BYU(if they feel forced to join a conf?).
-The SBC picks up schools that are more similar to App St, ULM, Troy, UALR and Geo Southern. Schools like: Sam Houston, UT Chatt., Jax St., EKU, Mo. St., Lamar, SFA, McNeese, Liberty, Towson, etc.

At that point.....
-The SBC is very evenly competitive...and won't get picked over again for years.
-CUSA has a very solid East and West as separate conferences.
-The MWC has a duplicate footprint to the PAC 12...and now has a tighter footprint by losing their eastern wing(except for Wyoming).

It could work. But, I don't really know what it would take to get the ball rolling in that direction???

Big XII

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Having 5 Texas schools in one division...would not be beneficial to the Texas schools.

Adding Texas State ain't gonna hurt anything. They have good program and a good fan base like UTSA does. Plus Rice is the going to get poached eventually, might as well strengthen the bond between the next tier of Texas schools.

hibbett2222 wrote:
I agree. I don't understand why people keep wanting/thinking that C-USA and SBC will combine. Not going to happen. Again C-USA members think they are above the SBC members. Travel is not a real issue. With the Increase in money from the CFP contract these conferences and schools will make almost 4 times as much as they did under the BCS contract. Conferences were making about 3 million under the BCS contract now will be making about 12 million.

The money is going to even out after the next TV deals are signed. Every school gets the same playoff money, but that doesn't mean they should or will want to waste it on travel from Southwest to the MidAtlantic to play teams your fans or regional populous care next to nothing about.

UTSA/TX St/UNT/UTEP can all have a good rivalry, so could LA Tech/ULL/Ark St/USM.

UTEP/NMSU and USM/UAB already have one.

Marshall, ODU, UNCC, FAU, FIU do next to nothing for these SW teams, they should add the best remainders, USA, GA So, App St plus a few good upgrades (JMU, Towson, UDel) for an Eastern ACC-like conference.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have to get on this one fellas!
I agree that the two conferences will never combine. That argument should be moved to a fantasy board. Texas St. to the CUSA? It could happen, but I think that the current make-up of the SBC argues against such a move in conjunction with the evening out of the TV money. CUSA added schools that were in media markets, and most of those adds were not positive moves for football. The SBC took a better approach in my humble opinion by adding tough football programs in Georgia Southern, and Appalachian St. - however they needed to add 2 more to get to a CCG thus the FB only adds of Idaho and New Mexico State. I believe these last two were because there were no other 1AA (FCS) powers available, ready, and or willing to make the jump.

Can the CUSA schools become powerful football programs? Maybe - already UTSA is making great strides in that direction. U. North Texas, Middle Tennessee St., Western Kentucky, FIU, and Rice all appear to be doing ok, and Marshall should win the conference this year. Yet, I will pit Arkansas St., or U. Louisiana - L. over the CUSA champ and bet on the SBC school to win. I also believe that the SBC is a stronger football conference overall.

Oh, by the way Texas St. and UTSA will restart their rivalry at least for a short while.
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/colle ... 502008.php

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:40 am 
Senior
Senior

Texas St. and UTEP is a 8 time match up over the next however many years. So that rivalry is going to develop just due to the amount of times they play. However I still think that if NMSU can keep winning year in and year out that the Texas St. NMSU could develop into a SBC rivalry in the west. Which would be great for the conference. As of know the best rivalry in the conference is between the two newest members APP ST. and Georgia Southern. (Blue and Black Bowl as it is called). They bring this rivalry up from the FCS level and even ESPN recognized it and made it a Thursday night game. Then you have the ULL and ULM rivalry. But other than those two there really is no other rivalry for the SBC.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:41 am 
Senior
Senior

Sorry meant UTSA not UTEP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1811 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 121  Next