NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:47 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:07 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Too bad Furman is not in a position to move up. Takes money. Great location for this: Greenville, SC. Fits well geographically. Strong undergradute academic reputation. Private (Southern Baptist affiliation), smaller student body. Has won FCS title before and been a runner-up. SouCon history with Appy & Ga. Sou. Good diversity of sports offerings for this.
Furman is sort of a scaled-down Wake Forest, without the med & law schools; but in some sports at times, been better. Beautiful, nice campus.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:13 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
playa4life wrote:

3 official finalist in this blogs opinion

JMU, Liberty, and Lamar but I disagree and think even if JMU passes and Liberty fails for some reason that Jacksonville State would still be more likely than Lamar.

Here's why...and p4life it has nothing to do with Lamar except geography.

Football-
After the addition of an eastern#12 an even 6/6 split with the Mississippi river providing the border.

West - Idaho, NMSU, TX St, ULL, ULM, Ark St
East - Troy, SoBama, GA St, GA So, App St, ???

In bb and other sports you'll have after the addition of an eastern #12 an even 6/6 split with the Mississippi river providing the border.

West - TX St, UTA, ULL, ULM, Ark St, UALR
East - Troy, SoBama, GA St, GA So, App St, ???

Now add Lamar and not a Western member...

fb West - Idaho, NMSU, TX St, Lamar, ULL, ULM, Ark St (who do you move?)
fb East - Troy, SoBama, GA St, GA So, App St
bb West - TX St, UTA, Lamar, ULL, ULM, Ark St, UALR (who do you move?)
bb East - Troy, SoBama, GA St, GA So, App St

EDIT: POST #1000

fb North - GA St, GA So, App St, Idaho, NMSU, Ark St
fb South - Troy, SoBama, TX St, Lamar, ULL, ULM

bb North - GA St, GA So, App St, Ark St, UALR, UTA
bb South - Troy, SoBama, TX St, Lamar, ULL, ULM

It's not ideal, but E/W doesn't work if you add Lamar. Unless the plan is to add two more non football. I think you're right though, J-St over Lamar. Maybe even a couple others.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
They need to add ONE school - a school that will be fielding an FBS football team, and can somehow create a travel pairing for Appalachian State.

Jacksonville State might work out. That would be 3 Alabama schools.
You could pair the 2 southern-most 'Bama schools, and pair the northern-most 'Bama school with Appy...

JMU would be a natural, but if they have no interest in the SBC, there may be some other eastern alternatives before settling on Liberty.

5 FBS in a state with less than 5 million people. How well does it fit the formula "Texas is ~26mil and has 12 FBS schools so adding a 13th, 26mil/13 schools= ~2 mil in market penetration.

Virginia is ~8mil and has 3 FBS schools so adding a 4th, 8mil/4= ~2mil in market penetration."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:39 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

By that metric California is grossly underrepresented in FBS (7 teams for 38 million people) and New York even more so (3 teams for 19 million people). Each state could in theory have their own conference.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am 
Junior
Junior

Has U. Tennessee - C. turned down the SBC? What about a Florida A&M invite? Isn't there anyone else but Liberty? How about VMI, or even Wofford? Can we invite a HS team over Liberty? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 am 
Junior
Junior

I have heard pros and cons of the schools recently added (Georgia Southern, Appalachian St., New Mexico St., and Idaho) and the targeted schools to replace Western Kentucky. I have also heard the same about Georgia St., but I have a question. What about Texas St.? I have not heard pros and cons about them. Was this a good add for the SBC? What do they bring and how well do they fit? I know Lamar has history with the SBC and has geography, but Texas State seems a bit far to go if they wanted to stay in the south east. (this is before the recent adds of New Mexico St., and Idaho) Is it just because the SBC wanted to stay in recruiting rich Texas? If this is the case, why not also grab a school in recruiting rich Florida? I am curious.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Has U. Tennessee - C. turned down the SBC? What about a Florida A&M invite? Isn't there anyone else but Liberty? How about VMI, or even Wofford? Can we invite a HS team over Liberty? :lol:

Chattanooga was approached by the Sun Belt (not invited) asking if they would be interested and they said they didn't have the money to upgrade their stadium nor add the 22 fb scholarships to upgrade plus the extra title XIV offset costs of 22 women's scholarships which would make them add another women's sport, coach, travel cost, etc.

Haven't heard anything about VMI or Wofford, geographically they'd work but that's about it, Florida A&M has given up pursuing FBS status for now and is focused on getting an invite from the SWAC, and my SFA Lumberjacks were also not considered.

Here's the link from a freedom of information request about who the Sun Belt "approached" and the list is below with my take on the candidates.
http://www.appstatenation.com/2013/02/0 ... andidates/

Appalachian State (added full member)
Delaware - reportedly will not make any moves until realignment settles down (could join MAC)
Georgia Southern (added full member)
Idaho (added fb only)
Illinois State - unlikely at the moment, not too sure about them but they are in the West
Jacksonville State -while in the East, would give SBC 3 schools in Alabama
James Madison - reportedly turned down an offer from the SBC to possibly join the MAC
Lamar - most ready to move TX school, but in the West so doubtful
Liberty - MOST LIKELY OPTION RIGHT NOW
Missouri State - unlikely for now, more ready than ISU but still in the West
New Mexico State (added fb only)
Richmond - small school in the A10, would just be for fb only, not sure if they want to move
Sam Houston State - less ready than Lamar, also in the West
Towson - haven't heard anything about them wanting to move
UT Chattanooga - reportedly was approach by the SBC and said no thank you

NorwichCat11 wrote:
I have heard pros and cons of the schools recently added (Georgia Southern, Appalachian St., New Mexico St., and Idaho) and the targeted schools to replace Western Kentucky. I have also heard the same about Georgia St., but I have a question. What about Texas St.? I have not heard pros and cons about them. Was this a good add for the SBC? What do they bring and how well do they fit? I know Lamar has history with the SBC and has geography, but Texas State seems a bit far to go if they wanted to stay in the south east. (this is before the recent adds of New Mexico St., and Idaho) Is it just because the SBC wanted to stay in recruiting rich Texas? If this is the case, why not also grab a school in recruiting rich Florida? I am curious.

Texas St was a great add for the Sun Belt, they've been FBS ready for years, they are located about 30 minutes from both Austin and San Antonio and have a pretty solid following. Their stadium is impressive for the Sun Belt and they are ready to compete unlike some of the recent upgrades. Believe it or not everything in the Texas triangle (DFW, Houston, San Antonio) is fairly easy to get to so as long as the school isn't in West Texas (like Texas Tech) Far West Texas (like UTEP) in the Valley (UTPA) or way down the coast like (A&M-CC) travel doesn't really matter. Yes, it had a lot to do with needing Texas for recruiting but mostly to do with the fact that they were already FBS (though in the WAC) and the SBC needed members (same reason they took Idaho/NMSU fb). There is/was no Florida school ready to move also they have a pretty nice setup now. 2 Texas schools, 2 Arkansas schools, 2 Louisiana schools in the West (ArkLaTex we call it down here) and 2 Alabama, 2 Georgia, and App St+1 in the East.

Lamar has history with the SBC and is near Houston which is a big hole in the Sun Belt's footprint, has or is building the facilities but they're athletics are pretty bad. SHSU has almost the same claim to Houston but in its immediate market area is smaller (Huntsville/Conroe vs Beaumont) isn't as sure about FBS as Lamar is and need some facilities improvements but has better athletics all around. Sam also has a big rivalry with SFA (Battle of the Piney Woods) which may be holding them back as SFA is not ready to move to FBS.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I still think that Arkansas-Little Rock (UALR) still has the chance of re-instating football in the school's athletic program. One of the reasons is the following facility: the War Memorial Stadium of Arkansas at Little Rock. I know that the stadium is currently the alternate field for the Arkansas Razorbacks of the SEC. But within time, the UALR Trojans would solely and exclusively use that stadium for its football team. It would be a great addition for Sun Belt football. However, all it has to do is that the school must plan to have a meeting in regards about this situation, if it depends. In the past, UALR (as a junior college) was a powerhouse in that sport before deciding to discontinue by dropping it. It may not happen now, but that doesn't mean that it could be impossible. So yay or nay about this?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:36 pm 
Junior
Junior

I do not interject often, but there is some pretty bias opinion and/or misinformation.

1. SHSU has more claim to Houston than Lamar. Compare the coverage in local media (of Southland schools or soon to be Southland schools, Lamar ranks No. 4 behind SHSU, SFA + HBU). This comes from reading the Houston Chronicle, viewing tweets of local media personalities and related TV stories. Compare the alum bases in Houston of SHSU vs Lamar.

2. UALR has never had football.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TexasTerror wrote:
2. UALR has never had football.

What do you mean UALR never has had football? Check out this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E ... s#Football

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:21 pm 
Junior
Junior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

As a four-year institution.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TexasTerror wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

As a four-year institution.

Oh, that you have a point. But still, UALR should try thinking about adding football, since there's a quality-like stadium within the Little Rock area.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Why on earth would you think that UALR could successfully add Football ...???? They should just join the Southland with Oral Roberts ... There is no need for more Football in Arkansas ...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

What are the chances that the Sunbelt decides to hold at 11 full/9 fb + 2 fb onlys since their best Eastern option, James Madison, seems to have rejected a full membership offer?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:59 am 
Freshman
Freshman

playa4life wrote:
tute79 wrote:
They need to add ONE school - a school that will be fielding an FBS football team, and can somehow create a travel pairing for Appalachian State.

Jacksonville State might work out. That would be 3 Alabama schools.
You could pair the 2 southern-most 'Bama schools, and pair the northern-most 'Bama school with Appy...

JMU would be a natural, but if they have no interest in the SBC, there may be some other eastern alternatives before settling on Liberty.

5 FBS in a state with less than 5 million people. How well does it fit the formula "Texas is ~26mil and has 12 FBS schools so adding a 13th, 26mil/13 schools= ~2 mil in market penetration.

Virginia is ~8mil and has 3 FBS schools so adding a 4th, 8mil/4= ~2mil in market penetration."

As I've posted on other forums while it would add another FBS school to Alabama, the SB is currently receiving little to no coverage in North Alabama. Probably 60+% of the population is North of Birmingham. Within 50 miles of Jacksonville the population is around 800,000 which is around 100,000 less than Mobile. Not sure on Troy but would be considerably less than either of the other two. JSU is covered by the Birmingham media market which is around 40 and number 1 in college football (dominated by UAT). Recruiting wouldn't be much different as JSU currently signs many players offered by Troy, UAB and USA (never get any offered by UAT or Auburn).

With all of that said, Troy will block any attempt to admit JSU into the SB. The only way JSU is offered would be for it to come down to JSU and a Southland team. The Southland teams are being blocked by more schools but Troy does have the lead chair at the meetings.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 94  Next