NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:54 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 am 
Senior
Senior

TexasTerror wrote:
I do not interject often, but there is some pretty bias opinion and/or misinformation.

1. SHSU has more claim to Houston than Lamar. Compare the coverage in local media (of Southland schools or soon to be Southland schools, Lamar ranks No. 4 behind SHSU, SFA + HBU). This comes from reading the Houston Chronicle, viewing tweets of local media personalities and related TV stories. Compare the alum bases in Houston of SHSU vs Lamar.

2. UALR has never had football.

Sam Houston NC contender averaging 8,000. Lamar struggling football averaging 11,000 last year 16,000 previous 2 years. Rain out games is responsible for 11,000. Imagine Lamar's attendance with a NC team. 30,000 if there was a 30,000 seat stadium.

CSN wants Astro and Rockets games back on in the Beaumont DMA. CSN will show Lamar games in Houston. Benson is very interested.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 am 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
Lamar has history with the SBC and is near Houston which is a big hole in the Sun Belt's footprint, has or is building the facilities but they're athletics are pretty bad. SHSU has almost the same claim to Houston but in its immediate market area is smaller (Huntsville/Conroe vs Beaumont) isn't as sure about FBS as Lamar is and need some facilities improvements but has better athletics all around.

No, Lamar athletic in not bad. Baseball nearly made top 25 this season, WBB post season play, Golf is very good.
MBB sucked this year following last year NCAA tourney. 1 season rebuilding does not make all sports bad. Lamar basketball will be back. A top 10 Indiana player already signed. Football is making improvements. What more do you expect from a start up t this point although I believe Lamar will maybe La Tech this year in football. Take the points for this game.

Lamar has the best facilities in the SLC, the best in most schools in the SBC and CUSA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TexasTerror wrote:
I do not interject often, but there is some pretty bias opinion and/or misinformation.

1. SHSU has more claim to Houston than Lamar. Compare the coverage in local media (of Southland schools or soon to be Southland schools, Lamar ranks No. 4 behind SHSU, SFA + HBU). This comes from reading the Houston Chronicle, viewing tweets of local media personalities and related TV stories. Compare the alum bases in Houston of SHSU vs Lamar.

No bias or misinformation from me. If we want to critisize my exact wording maybe instead of "almost the same claim" I should have said "virtually" but regardless that not the main point. Demographically Lamar has a better claim on Houston though if you use market penetration data (like you did) clear Sam has more coverage.

SHSU is further away while Lamar is closer but SHSU (and SFA) has better representation in the entire state than Lamar does, and I've stated this repeatedly if you go back a few pages and take a look at some of the posts between playa4life and myself. I know tons of sports fans all around Texas and I've met just a handful that even know Lamar is a college, most people assume when I mention them I'm talking about a high school. Never had any confusion when I've talked about Sam or SFA.

Still Lamar is the current top choice if they add another in the West because it is closer and has a bigger home market separate from Houston. But I've said all along the SHSU and SFA are the two best schools remaining that should be D1, however Lamar gets the nod because they are ready to jump now and have already built the facilities.

Clearly I'm in favor for SHSU to move up (mostly because I think it'll force SFA to start the process too though it'll take them some time before they can) so

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CowboyFrog wrote:
Why on earth would you think that UALR could successfully add Football ...???? They should just join the Southland with Oral Roberts ... There is no need for more Football in Arkansas ...

Looks like nobody likes what I think about UALR planning to have football then (even with the right stadium qualifications, etc.). But then again, as the saying goes: "Never say never." We may never know what would happen next in the future for the Sun Belt. Besides, the more attempts that some FCS schools plan to upgrade to be in FBS status, the possibility for the FCS to dissolve. And the reason I've said it so that it can be paired with UT-Arlington (who DID have a football program in the past) and can be well-paired.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

If there was a chance UALR and UTA was adding football, SBC would not have added Idaho and NMSU.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
If there was a chance UALR and UTA was adding football, SBC would not have added Idaho and NMSU.

If it was possible within years, then yes. That way, Idaho and NMSU would be back as FBS Independents.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette(previously posted in another thread)with comments from UL AD regarding "possibility" that SBC schools "like" UL "could" be future C-USA expansion targets at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... n-16-teams

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Lafayette(previously posted in another thread)with comments from UL AD regarding "possibility" that SBC schools "like" UL "could" be future C-USA expansion targets at http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20 ... n-16-teams

If that would be the case, that would mean the definite end of the Louisiana-Lafayette vs. Louisiana-Monroe rivalry.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Coeur D Alene with comments from Idaho AD regarding how the new FB playoff system revenue distribution model promotes expansion for conferences "like" the SBC and C-USA at http://www.cdapress.com/news/sports/art ... 0c37f.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:58 am 
Senior
Senior

It's the best situation Idaho could hope for given their desire to remain at the FBS level. However, even the above article implied Idaho would be in the SunBelt temporary until a new western conference develops or wishfully and unlikely anytime soon, something opens up for them in the MWC. Though they had a prior relationship, it's a geographic extreme even for just fb. It's hard to say what the SunBelt will get from this beyond the travel expense. Maybe it's about exposure there, or fewer good options, or the network urged it.

Obviously, Idaho does not want to relinquish FBS status and fully transition back to the Big Sky. Sometimes face-saving and unrealistic ambitions get in the way of practicality.

NMSU may be better served to take all-sports into the SB, given the added Texas presence in the conference. Though NMSU is at the far end of the conference, it would fit, particularly with divisional set-up.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

louisvillecard01 wrote:
It's the best situation Idaho could hope for given their desire to remain at the FBS level. However, even the above article implied Idaho would be in the SunBelt temporary until a new western conference develops or wishfully and unlikely anytime soon, something opens up for them in the MWC. Though they had a prior relationship, it's a geographic extreme even for just fb. It's hard to say what the SunBelt will get from this beyond the travel expense. Maybe it's about exposure there, or fewer good options, or the network urged it.

Obviously, Idaho does not want to relinquish FBS status and fully transition back to the Big Sky. Sometimes face-saving and unrealistic ambitions get in the way of practicality.

NMSU may be better served to take all-sports into the SB, given the added Texas presence in the conference. Though NMSU is at the far end of the conference, it would fit, particularly with divisional set-up.

First, Congrats Louisvillecard01.

Second, I don't think its outragious that Idaho could convince 6 western FCS member to move up to reform a verision of the WAC with them and NMSU. Off the top of my head Montana, Montana St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Sac St are all easy candidates along with Eastern Washington, Portland St, and Weber St as remote posssibilities. And I'm sure if they had no other options they could reach into Texas for Lamar, SHSU, and possibly SFA.

Getting into the Big Sky was huge for them all they have to do is sweet talk a few presidents and they could get the majority of the Big Sky conference to upgrade letting the few schools that won't be able (like Northern Colorado, Idaho St, Southern Utah, and Northern Arizona) to continue playing FCS football but still stay in the conference.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Well stated Louisville. Congrats! Maybe the women can win the big game tonight vs. UConn....

I think the Sun-Belt was set on getting to 12 for FB. ALSO - remember that Karl Benson was commisoner of the WAC.
It is hard to imagine he was sort of taking care of some former WAC buddies ?
Prior to 2004 (?) both NMSU and Idaho were in the Sun-Belt, and they moved ot the WAC under his watch.
With UTA (they did actually talk about adding FB a few years ago) and UALR not having FB teams, having 2 FB affiliates works to get to 12.
Yeah, they are outside of hte footprint, but the number of events involving travel to/from Idaho and Las Cruces is maybe 15 games / year
2 X 8 - 1 (they will play each other every year), and the travel cost is one them when they are on the road, so it's
4 games for SB teams to travel to Idaho and 4 games for SB teams to travel to NMSU. Not that big a deal.

Right now, NMSU ascendancy to full member does not look good, because the travel pairings have the one current "hole" in the east.
IF, a school from the SunBelt West (TX, AR, LA school) were to go to CUSA (if they are looking at expanding to 16),
THEN that potentially DOES create an opening in the Sun Belt West for an all-sports member, and NMSU caould be considered for that.

Idaho is so frigging remote, that for now, this Big Sky / Sun-Belt arrangement is the best they can hope for.
For most sports - they actually BELONG in the Big Sky ! EWU, ISU, Montana, Montana State - those are their neighbors / rivals !
To try to "play up" with MWC teams that really aren't that geographically close doesn't make all that much sense.
Boise State does it, but I think they really upped their entire athletics budget, and I wonder if their athletes in non-FB sports really appreciate all the travel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I won my bracket pool for the 1st time since 2004, Thanks Louisville!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm 
Senior
Senior

playa4life wrote:
tute79 wrote:
They need to add ONE school - a school that will be fielding an FBS football team, and can somehow create a travel pairing for Appalachian State.

Jacksonville State might work out. That would be 3 Alabama schools.
You could pair the 2 southern-most 'Bama schools, and pair the northern-most 'Bama school with Appy...

JMU would be a natural, but if they have no interest in the SBC, there may be some other eastern alternatives before settling on Liberty.

5 FBS in a state with less than 5 million people. How well does it fit the formula "Texas is ~26mil and has 12 FBS schools so adding a 13th, 26mil/13 schools= ~2 mil in market penetration.

Virginia is ~8mil and has 3 FBS schools so adding a 4th, 8mil/4= ~2mil in market penetration."

Oooops, I said Jax st would make 5 FBS in a state, Alabama, with less than 5 million people. Jax st would be the 6th public fbs in a state of less than 5 million.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Well stated Louisville. Congrats! Maybe the women can win the big game tonight vs. UConn....

Appreciate the congrats, Tkalmus, Fresno State Alum, & tute79. It's been a special year for Louisville all-around.

I actually thought it could have been a double after UL women beat Baylor. But UConn is so established at being a powerhouse in women's bb.

I get the idea CUSA expansion/replacements shall impact the SB again before long. I am not totally sure, though expect, Navy will actually go to the AAU in 2015, They show indications they intend to stick with the plan. If they back out, is there an eixit fee or timeline notice requirement? That decision could impact CUSA, then the SB.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1443 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 97  Next