NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 95  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
If Jacksonville St:

West: Idaho, New Mexico St, Texas St, Arkansas St, UL Monroe, UL Lafayette
East: Jacksonville St, Troy, South Alabama, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St

If Missouri St:

West: Idaho, New Mexico St, Texas St, Arkansas St, Missouri St, UL Monroe or UL Lafayette
East: UL Lafayette or UL Monroe, Troy, South Alabama, Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St

The Jacksonville St divisional format above definitely suits the current schools better by keeping both UL's together. The Missouri St scenario would have to put one of the UL's in the East which creates a divisional-geographical "gap" between Louisiana and Alabama because Mississippi is not represented in the East. That type of gap looks goofy within a division. Athletically, I can't really distinguish them for the past decade. The Jacksonville St stadium holds almost 8,000 more. However, Missouri St is in Springfield, MO has over 160,000 residents while Jacksonville, AL has about 12,500 residents. I'm not sure how important TV sets are for the Sun Belt Conference though.

But still, BOTH Jax St. and Mizzou St. must still plan to upgrade their football stadiums to "FBS status" with the 30,000+ seat requirement, etc.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:51 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

JSU is in the Birmingham TV market. Jville has 12,000 but the county is around 125,000. Close to 800,000 within 50 miles of campus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

Missouri State has been horrible since, at least, 2002. What level of competition would the SunBelt get with them? They are a joke. Something like...two 6 win seasons in the last 11 years.

At least Jax St has won a few games.

I still don't see how Sam Houston, McNeese and SE La. are being overlooked? The SunBelt needs more teams within its footprint. And these teams need to have been competitive within the last decade or thereabouts.

I doubt JMU will join the SunBelt...after reading their FAQ sheet.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Missouri State has been horrible since, at least, 2002. What level of competition would the SunBelt get with them? They are a joke. Something like...two 6 win seasons in the last 11 years.

I still don't see how Sam Houston, McNeese and SE La. are being overlooked? The SunBelt needs more teams within its footprint. And these teams need to have been competitive within the last decade or thereabouts.

I agree. Missouri State should be ok on being in the MVFC/MVC. Besides, the Sun Belt (in terms of geographic regional aspects) is spekked within the Southeast, no doubt about it; mostly checking out some teams within the Southland like Sam Houston St., Stephan F. Austin St., Lamar, McNeese St., Northwestern St. & Southeastern Louisiana.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

I agree. Missouri State should be ok on being in the MVFC/MVC. Besides, the Sun Belt (in terms of geographic regional aspects) is spekked within the Southeast, no doubt about it; mostly checking out some teams within the Southland like Sam Houston St., Stephan F. Austin St., Lamar, McNeese St., Northwestern St. & Southeastern Louisiana.

I have my doubts that Sam Houston St would leave the Southland (especially without Stephen F. Austin St). Lamar would be okay but being in Beaumont is a downer. I don't think the idea of another Louisiana school is great. However, you are right that, football-wise, Missouri St is not that good. I was just thinking about in terms of adding a new state to the Sun Belt footprint. Also, a second FBS school in the State of Missouri wouldn't be the worst possible option.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
I have my doubts that Sam Houston St would leave the Southland (especially without Stephen F. Austin St). Lamar would be okay but being in Beaumont is a downer. I don't think the idea of another Louisiana school is great. However, you are right that, football-wise, Missouri St is not that good. I was just thinking about in terms of adding a new state to the Sun Belt footprint. Also, a second FBS school in the State of Missouri wouldn't be the worst possible option.

How about expanding another FCS school from Tennessee and/or Kentucky to replace either Middle Tennessee State and/or Western Kentucky?

Oh, almost forgot, speaking of Western Kentucky. If only the Hiltoppers didn't announce of joining C-USA for next season and staying in the Sun Belt for one more season, THEN the Sun Belt would sponsor a CCG, with fb-only Idaho & New Mexico St. Unfortunately, that was inevitable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
How about expanding another FCS school from Tennessee and/or Kentucky to replace either Middle Tennessee State and/or Western Kentucky?

That's not a terrible idea. One school did cross my mind. While they aren't a powerhouse or even a consistent contender, they do find their way onto many FBS schedules. That school is Tennessee-Chattanooga (or just Chattanooga). They are part of the University of Tennessee system. Their stadium would need a fairly sizeable upgrade from its current 20,668. The city of Chattanooga has about 170,000 people (Chattanooga metro ranks #62).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

That's not a terrible idea. One school did cross my mind. While they aren't a powerhouse or even a consistent contender, they do find their way onto many FBS schedules. That school is Tennessee-Chattanooga (or just Chattanooga). They are part of the University of Tennessee system. Their stadium would need a fairly sizeable upgrade from its current 20,668. The city of Chattanooga has about 170,000 people (Chattanooga metro ranks #62).

UTC might be a great candidate. And fitting for the division format.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Texas State and UTA were in the Southland with Sam Houston. If they take McNeese and SE La....then that would be 5 teams that played together in the Southland...that moved up to the SunBelt.

If I remember correctly....ULL and ULM were both in the Southland at one time as well.

Lamar totally sucks. Though, they have really nice facilities....they are terrible on the field. No way the SunBelt needs them.

And, there really are not any more teams from Kentucky or Tennessee that are really a fit for SunBelt football. I believe the top two teams in those areas are Tenn. State and E Ky. I am not certain that either are a great fit?

I just don't know that location should be the most important factor in a SunBelt addition. I believe that success should be the most important deciding factor. Mostly because, the SunBelt doesn't need more teams that suck.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I just don't know that location should be the most important factor in a SunBelt addition. I believe that success should be the most important deciding factor. Mostly because, the SunBelt doesn't need more teams that suck.

Now that you mention it, how about checking out teams WITHIN the Southeast area that HAVE success on other sports (besides football) that the Sun Belt sponsors (i.e.: basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc.)?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:

UTC might be a great candidate. And fitting for the division format.

UTC said no thanks not less than a year ago, I doubt their opinions have changed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
UTC said no thanks not less than a year ago, I doubt their opinions have changed.

If it ain't UTC, then who (in your opinion) might be fitting for the Sun Belt? It can be other sports-related in terms of success, not just football, by the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Now that you mention it, how about checking out teams WITHIN the Southeast area that HAVE success on other sports (besides football) that the Sun Belt sponsors (i.e.: basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc.)?

Correct me if I'm wrong....but, the SunBelt already picked up the top three teams from that area? Such as: Georgia State, Georgia Southern and App State.

I have already suggested picking up Belmont for the east side of the conference. That would bring in Nashville as an Olympic sport city (See previous posts).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I have already suggested picking up Belmont for the east side of the conference. That would bring in Nashville as an Olympic sport city (See previous posts).

I saw them. But I meant that as a football perspective, not a "non-football" perspective. I was trying to say find full members within the area who sponsor football, BUT have success on other sports. Hope this helps clarify. I'm still interesting on the fact of the conference to have a 12th member for a possible CCG (10 full + 2 affiliates in Idaho & NMSU). Plus, even if Belmont would be a candidate to join the Sun Belt, it would still not help the conference to solidify it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

I saw them. But I meant that as a football perspective, not a "non-football" perspective. I was trying to say find full members within the area who sponsor football, BUT have success on other sports. Hope this helps clarify. I'm still interesting on the fact of the conference to have a 12th member for a possible CCG (10 full + 2 affiliates in Idaho & NMSU). Plus, even if Belmont would be a candidate to join the Sun Belt, it would still not help the conference to solidify it.

I disagree that Belmont couldn't help to solidify the conference. Nashville is a very cool place that sponsors support for plenty of athletic teams...plus music and gorgeous scenery. But, that aside for now.

Finding a team that plays football and is great in other sports is the real big problem that the SunBelt is facing. There isn't a large group of outstanding universities that have tons of local support and great TV demographics, plus plenty of financial support and complete facilities.
Very much like the Big 12....the SunBelt just doesn't have many teams to choose from that are 'hands down' the perfect choice.
JMU would certainly help the SunBelt. But, even that isn't certain...because it appears that JMU believes they are a bit better than the SunBelt.

Teams left over that are pretty close to the footprint:
Liberty(they suck), Mo State(suck), Lamar(suck), Fla A&M(said no already), UT Chatt(said no already), Illinois State(said no already), Sam Houston, McNeese, SE La, West Fla(doesn't have a team yet), Delta State(too small), Valdosta State(DII), West Georgia(DII), Samford(small), Wofford(small), VMI(really small), Kennesaw(really young), Jaxv State(?), Tenn State(?).
New Mexico State is better than all those teams....they should be brought in as full member immediately. Adding a team in the west opens up the west side of Texas to recruiting for everyone in the conference.
But as far as new football teams...there just aren't that many to choose from.
Let me know if I left any off the list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 95  Next