NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:30 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 92  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I disagree that Belmont couldn't help to solidify the conference. Nashville is a very cool place that sponsors support for plenty of athletic teams...plus music and gorgeous scenery. But, that aside for now.

Finding a team that plays football and is great in other sports is the real big problem that the SunBelt is facing. There isn't a large group of outstanding universities that have tons of local support and great TV demographics, plus plenty of financial support and complete facilities.
Very much like the Big 12....the SunBelt just doesn't have many teams to choose from that are 'hands down' the perfect choice.
JMU would certainly help the SunBelt. But, even that isn't certain...because it appears that JMU believes they are a bit better than the SunBelt.

Teams left over that are pretty close to the footprint:
Liberty(they suck), Mo State(suck), Lamar(suck), Fla A&M(said no already), UT Chatt(said no already), Illinois State(said no already), Sam Houston, McNeese, SE La, West Fla(doesn't have a team yet), Delta State(too small), Valdosta State(DII), West Georgia(DII), Samford(small), Wofford(small), VMI(really small), Kennesaw(really young), Jaxv State(?), Tenn State(?).
New Mexico State is better than all those teams....they should be brought in as full member immediately. Adding a team in the west opens up the west side of Texas to recruiting for everyone in the conference.
But as far as new football teams...there just aren't that many to choose from.
Let me know if I left any off the list.

You didn't leave any teams off the list. I give you props for that. However, if New Mexico State is better than the rest you mentioned above (which I might like the idea of the Aggies to re-join the Sun Belt as full members instead of fb-affiliate mode), that leaves either UTA or UALR to have football a.s.a.p. Look at C-USA for next season, they will have 13 members to start off (including Old Dominion after its 1st year as an FBS Indy), leaving Charlotte alone as the only non-football member until their football program to join in 2015. I bet that C-USA would secretly plan to gran another Sun Belt member to have 14.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
UTC said no thanks not less than a year ago, I doubt their opinions have changed.

If it ain't UTC, then who (in your opinion) might be fitting for the Sun Belt? It can be other sports-related in terms of success, not just football, by the way.

Most desired is JMU. (20%)

Most likely is JAX St. (50%)

And then there is Liberty... (10%)

There's a slim chance that UDel (3%) or Towson (2%)
...might be moving in the next few years too especially if CAA fb starts falling apart and all their regional rivals starting jumping ship (JMU>FBS, W&M>Patriot, Nova/Richmond>fb only Patriot or FBS).

If they can grab a fb only like UMass (15%)
...then they could simply slot in NMSU as an all sports member.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Most desired is JMU. (20%)

Most likely is JAX St. (50%)

And then there is Liberty... (10%)

There's a slim chance that UDel (3%) or Towson (2%)
...might be moving in the next few years too especially if CAA fb starts falling apart and all their regional rivals starting jumping ship (JMU>FBS, W&M>Patriot, Nova/Richmond>fb only Patriot or FBS).

If they can grab a fb only like UMass (15%)
...then they could simply slot in NMSU as an all sports member.

Lemme refresh things: JMU might be great for the Sun Belt, but the Dukes prefer to have in mind of being C-USA or MAC bound. Jax St. might also be great for the Sun Belt, but no reports about the school related with it so far. Same goes for Liberty. About UMass as a fb-only member, would it benefit the conference due to other members for travel expenses?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:42 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
You didn't leave any teams off the list. I give you props for that. However, if New Mexico State is better than the rest you mentioned above (which I might like the idea of the Aggies to re-join the Sun Belt as full members instead of fb-affiliate mode), that leaves either UTA or UALR to have football a.s.a.p. Look at C-USA for next season, they will have 13 members to start off (including Old Dominion after its 1st year as an FBS Indy), leaving Charlotte alone as the only non-football member until their football program to join in 2015. I bet that C-USA would secretly plan to gran another Sun Belt member to have 14.

I believe that conferences are willing to wait a few seasons for their schools to get their programs up and running. I don't feel that they will force decisions to fill short term spots with long term affiliations.
There are plenty of 'Olympic only' schools available to the SunBelt, in all parts of the country, so they could add them anytime. The priority is to lock down a few 'up and comers'. They already jumped on App State, G.State, and G.Southern...which is pretty solid.

-Jaxsonville State would be alright....though, I'm not certain that Alabama can support another team?
-Also, in the next few years...New Orleans U. will have a team up and running.
-UMass is a great school, but, they are so far away and in the opposite direction of the two other far away schools. I just don't see the travel working out, unless everyone agrees to it.

And don't forget....the next ripple in conference realignment means ULL and Ark State are probably gone. Then Texas State and Georgia State would be the next most attractive.

I'm starting to feel like the SunBelt needs more than just one or two additions. Get them in now...so if ya' loose more....you don't have to add again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mozilla: So you're saying that the Sun Belt does not want a CCG at this moment? It'll end up like the AAC then.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Mozilla: So you're saying that the Sun Belt does not want a CCG at this moment? It'll end up like the AAC then.

No. I am saying add three or four teams. Get these teams playing now! The longer they wait....the harder it gets to replenish when teams jump up a level/conference.

Sam Houston, McNeese, SE La, Belmont, NMSU(all sports), possible non football additions of Wichita State, College of Charleston, or UNC Wilmington/Ashville/Greensboro. Of course I would add JMU if they were interested. Add, add, add.
I am worried that the SunBelt will get picked apart if one more round of hopscotch comes a'calling. They don't have the internal strength to stay banded together if many more teams leave. The Belt will have to work very hard to build up their power in this day of football.

What I am not saying is.....add a school that sucks just for the sake of adding a team to get a CCG, immediately. A CCG isn't worth being stuck with a bad school for 10 years.
Heck...if you read the FAQ from JMU....according to them....the SunBelt hasn't even offered them a spot yet??? So, I really don't know what is taking so long for the Belt to make some more moves???

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:50 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
So, I really don't know what is taking so long for the Belt to make some more moves???

You have a point there. The Sun Belt hasn't yet "done their homework" some more ever since adding App. St. and Ga. Sou. as full members, while adding Idaho and New Mexico St. as fb-only members.

On the other hand, I believe that adding Wichita State would be a great non-football addition (with its recent basketball success back last season), to expand the conference footprint to the Lower Midwest. And at one point, the Shockers did have an FBS (I-A) program until the Mizzou Valley stopped sponsoring football in the mid-80's.

Also, I would expect Northern Kentucky an addition for their D-II success in basketball. Sadly, it has no football though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:33 am 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
But still, BOTH Jax St. and Mizzou St. must still plan to upgrade their football stadiums to "FBS status" with the 30,000+ seat requirement, etc.

Now that I have vomited. Let me just state clearly that "Mizzou" is not a nickname for the State of Missouri, but for the University of Missouri, only. "Mizzou State" is, on multiple levels, simply a revolting phrase.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

Southeast mizzou st won their conference a couple years ago, but i think mizzou st would be a better option if the sun belt wanted to get into the state of mizzou. however, there are better options than either of the fcs mizzou programs

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
Southeast mizzou st won their conference a couple years ago, but i think mizzou st would be a better option if the sun belt wanted to get into the state of mizzou. however, there are better options than either of the fcs mizzou programs

Yeah. It would be best that the Sun Belt should have options on focusing within the Southeast, South Central and South Atlantic in the meantime until things occur in a few years coming.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:45 am 
Junior
Junior

Ok so lets get serious here! Who will be the 12th football member of the Sun Belt and when will this happen? Why has JMU not recieved an invite for the SBC? How do we know that they will not accept the invite until the SBC provides one. Also if the SBC provides an invite and JMU rejects it then the SBC can move on. If they do who will then be the next choice? Will the SBC rethink the Liberty option if JMU says no?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
Ok so lets get serious here! Who will be the 12th football member of the Sun Belt and when will this happen? Why has JMU not recieved an invite for the SBC? How do we know that they will not accept the invite until the SBC provides one. Also if the SBC provides an invite and JMU rejects it then the SBC can move on. If they do who will then be the next choice? Will the SBC rethink the Liberty option if JMU says no?

Nothing will be announced until after the bowl games. They have until July 1st, 2014 to get somebody for the 2015 season, unless its an exsisting FBS add like Army or UMass.

Sounds like they'll hold out for JMU who will hold out until the 11th hour for a CUSA/MAC invite.

Backup plan (if JMU falls through) is JAX St who they would likely notify to be "on alert."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Nothing will be announced until after the bowl games. They have until July 1st, 2014 to get somebody for the 2015 season, unless its an exsisting FBS add like Army or UMass.

Sounds like they'll hold out for JMU who will hold out until the 11th hour for a CUSA/MAC invite.

Backup plan (if JMU falls through) is JAX St who they would likely notify to be "on alert."

Tkalmus has a point. I believe that Jacksonville St. would be the next possible target for the Sun Belt to analyze once the football season concludes. They were a great in-state rival to Troy St. (now Troy) back in the old D-II Gulf South days in the 70's and 80's; and in the FCS days when both Jax St. and Troy were affiliates of the Southland Conference (while competing in the TAAC/A-Sun on other sports). Should the Gamecocks be a future member, the rivalry with Troy would be revived, and it would consider as the 2nd top state rivalry compared to Iron Bowl in Auburn/Alabama. But in the end of the day, we must wait and see how things might proceed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

Can Alabama support all five teams in Alabama if Jacksonville St. gets the call up? I just don't see it.

Liberty is not second place to JMU. There is a huge gap in quality between the two. The SunBelt needs a team that has had recent success. Liberty doesn't qualify by any measurement.

If the SunBelt only picks up one team....they are going to find themselves right back in the same predicament as soon as the next round of expansion hits again. They need more than one team, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So if JMU gets a CUSA invite, who would be #16? Arkansas St.? MAC makes the most sense to me and then get UMass to join as all or nothing. Will they sacrifice football for a watered down A-10 that will still lose St.Louis and Dayton or Richmond? Then the SBC can take Jacksonville St. It will be the nicest neatest fix the fbs has ever had. 14,14,14,12,10...12,12,12,14,14

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 92  Next