NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 95  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:00 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

New to this thread but thought I would share.

As a W&M student I can say that there is little interest on campus, both from students and administration, to move to FBS. I've heard from alumni that the school considered expanding Zable Stadium to FBS level in the early 1980s, but the professors complained about funding and it never happened (Kaplan Arena, though, is huge but it RARELY fill up for basketball--maybe once every 10 years). Anyway, W&M doesn't really have a strong, large, youthful fanbase like other Virginia schools like JMU, VCU, or ODU. The average W&M's students view towards sports, even football, is fairly apathetic but still better than a decade ago.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:
Travel partners for JMU should not be EKU and Liberty. If anything....Delaware and Towson would be much better....

FIFY

W&M aint going FBS, Patriot or bust for them.

Towson would consider moving if UDel upgraded.

But yes, those 2 are significantly better than Liberty and EKU.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
You got any solid/more solid leads about D-I expansion anywhere than this? If not this at least gives us something to talk about until one of us debunks it. You and I could talk about D-II moves all the time but it won't get much traffic/input b/c we are 2 of the few who care and may be the only 2 w/ notebooks of all the Conferences and schools. TK also does but his is a high tech(compared to our notebooks) google account thingy.

Yes, spreadsheets are sooooooo high tech. lol come on you old timers.

I know, yet I make helmets for fantasy football and air brush out blemishes in pics like snot and dirt on my kids face on a pic my wife wanted to put on our xmas card. I also photoshoped myself into my good buddy from high school's wedding pic w/the rest of our high school crew, since I don't fly. It was in Miami.

I think it's b/c I don't want to have to type in 1200 schools/nicknames over again. I'm 36 going on 85 so what can I say. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

Consolidating 5 colleges into 3, cutting staff, and with more cuts in 2014.
http://www.ulmhawkeyeonline.com/?p=12967" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.myarklamiss.com/story/budget ... zga3SjrO0A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is ULM days in FBS numbered?

PS. I think UALR will join Denver and ORU in the Summit. UMKC and Chicago st might join too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:36 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
mozilla wrote:
Travel partners for JMU should not be EKU and Liberty. If anything....Delaware and Towson would be much better....

FIFY

W&M aint going FBS, Patriot or bust for them.

Towson would consider moving if UDel upgraded.

But yes, those 2 are significantly better than Liberty and EKU.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
You got any solid/more solid leads about D-I expansion anywhere than this? If not this at least gives us something to talk about until one of us debunks it. You and I could talk about D-II moves all the time but it won't get much traffic/input b/c we are 2 of the few who care and may be the only 2 w/ notebooks of all the Conferences and schools. TK also does but his is a high tech(compared to our notebooks) google account thingy.

Yes, spreadsheets are sooooooo high tech. lol come on you old timers.

I know, yet I make helmets for fantasy football and air brush out blemishes in pics like snot and dirt on my kids face on a pic my wife wanted to put on our xmas card. I also photoshoped myself into my good buddy from high school's wedding pic w/the rest of our high school crew, since I don't fly. It was in Miami.

I think it's b/c I don't want to have to type in 1200 schools/nicknames over again. I'm 36 going on 85 so what can I say. :lol:

Really UDel and Towson to SBC? In an interview with Karl Benson in Nov. 2013 by Idaho's insider (no less, lol), Karl Benson stated that the conference would only consider a school that fits into the SBC footprint and that is in the East. I know people that there are other FCS schools that are better in Football or Basketball then EKU or even JMU or Liberty for that matter, but going off of what Karl said, one has to believe that UDel and other more northern schools are not an option for full membership. If the SBC only wants to add another Football only member then ok maybe, but if you are going to do that, then try and get UMass or Army who are already FBS members, or go for NDSU for football only! But if the goal which according to Karl is to get another full membership school from the East that fits into the same footprint as what they had drawn up with WKU, then EKU is the logical fit (Same state, closer to App. State.) EKU will be the 2nd choice if JMU doesn't join. Doesn't matter if we like it or not. The Goal is to get to 12 football playing schools and 12 all other sports playing school in order to have divisions in both Football and Basketball. So this will happen soon, if not in January then by July, unless there is another school from the East that fits within the footprint that comes out of the nowhere!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
Really UDel and Towson to SBC? In an interview with Karl Benson in Nov. 2013 by Idaho's insider (no less, lol), Karl Benson stated that the conference would only consider a school that fits into the SBC footprint and that is in the East. I know people that there are other FCS schools that are better in Football or Basketball then EKU or even JMU or Liberty for that matter, but going off of what Karl said, one has to believe that UDel and other more northern schools are not an option for full membership. If the SBC only wants to add another Football only member then ok maybe, but if you are going to do that, then try and get UMass or Army who are already FBS members, or go for NDSU for football only! But if the goal which according to Karl is to get another full membership school from the East that fits into the same footprint as what they had drawn up with WKU, then EKU is the logical fit (Same state, closer to App. State.) EKU will be the 2nd choice if JMU doesn't join. Doesn't matter if we like it or not. The Goal is to get to 12 football playing schools and 12 all other sports playing school in order to have divisions in both Football and Basketball. So this will happen soon, if not in January then by July, unless there is another school from the East that fits within the footprint that comes out of the nowhere!

Hibbett: East? You mean Southeast or South Atlantic; because East is technically in the Northeastern U.S. region (New England and Middle Atlantic sub-regions). But nonetheless, I do agree with your point of view. The Sun Belt must act and analyze a.s.a.p., for the benefits of the conference, their footprint (geographically and economically), their member schools, and their fans. Plus, looks like James Madison will be out of the question within SBC membership talk, as according to some sources that the Dukes will have eyes to join C-USA in the future.

However, I don't like the idea of North Dakota St. as a football-only member. NDSU will eventually be in the FBS if they keep up the success in football (and on certain sports), but it won't be for the Sun Belt. In my mind, if NDSU wants to be on an FBS conference (at least for full membership status) OR on an FCS conference, let years pass by to see if the other 3 Dakota schools (along with UN-Omaha with football to be re-instated in a certain point) find success on a few sports, so along with NDSU can discuss on planning to join either in the Big Sky or the WAC (with football reviving but in the FCS level; which is looking to have South Central/Upper Midwest U.S. regions in the footprint).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

hibbett2222 wrote:

Well, I don't know what 'Karl' said specifically.....but, what I do know is: The SBC has teams stretching from Texas to North Carolina. And other teams in New Mexico and Idaho....and has sponsored schools as far west as Denver.
So, saying that the SBC has only an eastern footprint seems a bit wrong.

And shoeing EKU into the SBC seems a bit premature. There are plenty of worthy schools within the footprint.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Plus, looks like James Madison will be out of the question within SBC membership talk, as according to some sources that the Dukes will have eyes to join C-USA in the future.

I wonder if JMU to C-USA doesn't prove to be a bigger loss than expected for the SunBelt?
C-USA might need a second team to go with JMU?? OR, is someone planning on moving out of C-USA....such as UTEP(mwc), Marshall(aac/mac) or other?

If C-USA needs another school.....Louisiana Lafayette might be the next inline to move up? Or, it could be Ark State? Either way....being the lowest of the low 5 is bad news for the SBC.

The SBC better start grabbing schools in a hurry...before they turn into the WAC. I figure adding three schools that play fb....would help insulate the SBC from further losses. They may need more than that....with Texas State and Georgia State being in pretty sweet locations, I could see them both being in high demand, if and when further expansion happens.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

16 members in C-USA just doesn't make a whole lot of sense--not with the Power 5 capping the Little 5 off at $12 million or $1 million per school whichever is lower. If C-USA got innovative what they might be able to do is add a pair of new members and then on paper "split" and become two 8-team leagues with a scheduling agreement between them. This would give C-USA schools a greater opportunity to make the playoffs in basketball and Olympic sports. Heck, they could add UL Lafayette, Arkansas St, Georgia St (pure tv market grab), and JMU and become two 9-team leagues.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:01 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
16 members in C-USA just doesn't make a whole lot of sense--not with the Power 5 capping the Little 5 off at $12 million or $1 million per school whichever is lower. If C-USA got innovative what they might be able to do is add a pair of new members and then on paper "split" and become two 8-team leagues with a scheduling agreement between them. This would give C-USA schools a greater opportunity to make the playoffs in basketball and Olympic sports. Heck, they could add UL Lafayette, Arkansas St, Georgia St (pure tv market grab), and JMU and become two 9-team leagues.

Add teams and split geographically. That could work out very well. It would definitely cut down on the travel between UTEP, ODU and the Fla schools.

The SunBelt wouldn't have much leftover if CUSA played that kind of hand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CUSA expansion doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of the SBC. And based on who's now in CUSA, some SBC schools needn't even apply. LaTech won't likely endorse ULL or ULM. UAB won't let USA have a look. I suspect Charlotte will block ASU. Maybe the two GSUs...I doubt they add enough for consideration.

Then again, this is the same conference who thinks four TX schools and both F*U's are worth inclusion...who knows if the conference goes back for TSU-SM just for fun.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Though I think the SBC should invite Liberty as #12, what do y'all think about east tennessee?
they are restarting their football program and the SBC has had experience there with USA and GS.
they are also very close to ApState as a travel partner, though i do not know how ApState would feel about playing a newbie team regularly

the experience the SBC accumulate from USA and GS, then East Ten can also be applied to UTA and UALR when those program resume football.
which would also be a good thing for the conference as i see instability with Idaho and to a lesser degree NMSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Huan wrote:
Though I think the SBC should invite Liberty as #12, what do y'all think about east tennessee?
they are restarting their football program and the SBC has had experience there with USA and GS.
they are also very close to ApState as a travel partner, though i do not know how ApState would feel about playing a newbie team regularly

the experience the SBC accumulate from USA and GS, then East Ten can also be applied to UTA and UALR when those program resume football.
which would also be a good thing for the conference as i see instability with Idaho and to a lesser degree NMSU

Love your point of view Huan. However, it leads me to this question. How about the same thing you said, but having NMSU to go for full membership within the SBC instead of only football?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
CUSA expansion doesn't necessarily have to come at the expense of the SBC. And based on who's now in CUSA, some SBC schools needn't even apply. LaTech won't likely endorse ULL or ULM. UAB won't let USA have a look. I suspect Charlotte will block ASU. Maybe the two GSUs...I doubt they add enough for consideration.

Then again, this is the same conference who thinks four TX schools and both F*U's are worth inclusion...who knows if the conference goes back for TSU-SM just for fun.

Which is more important to CUSA and SBC?

Quality of program, size of school.......or,
Quality of market, location of school.

I feel LaTech would be ok with ULL...but, not ULM.
I don't see UAB being upset with USA...but, doubt they would like Jville St or Troy.
I don't see Charlotte blocking anyone. I feel they would appreciate close rivals and traveling fan bases to fill their stadium.
So, I see the SBC losing schools as soon as the next realignment steps are taken. Especially under the split CUSA model.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:19 am 
Senior
Senior

Huan wrote:

What qualifies Liberty as a candidate? They have a hard time beating Big South opponents.

ETSU is way too young to get a call up. Give them a few years before they are considered.

I agree with PaaWaa2000 in inviting NMSU as a full member of the SBC. I would give Idaho five years and then reevaluate their fb only membership.

The SBC needs to look at Towson, Sam Houston, McNeese, EKU, Jacksonville State, Delaware, Richmond, Illinois State first. Then move on to Liberty, Lamar, and other schools that rarely win.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the Sun-Belt were to upgrade NMSU to full membership, they would still need a 12th school for FB.
That would likely mean a FB-only affiliate in the East.

It's possible.... Not sure what school is looking to elevate their FB only to FBS....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1414 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 95  Next