NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:55 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 71  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:14 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
If the Sun-Belt were to upgrade NMSU to full membership, they would still need a 12th school for FB.
That would likely mean a FB-only affiliate in the East.

It's possible.... Not sure what school is looking to elevate their FB only to FBS....

Personally, I feel the SBC is about to get raided...as soon as things move again. So, realistically they need a lot more than one of anything.
NMSU helps the SBC in all the money sports...so, they are a good addition for the conference any way you look at it.

There is the uncertain situations of Idaho, UTA and UALR with regards to fb...so, any of the three could change the SBC situation back to odd numbers.

Main thing for the SBC...is to make as many good moves as possible before changes come a knockin'. And NMSU would be a good move in my mind regardless of any future changes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:41 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

mozilla wrote:
tute79 wrote:
If the Sun-Belt were to upgrade NMSU to full membership, they would still need a 12th school for FB.
That would likely mean a FB-only affiliate in the East.

It's possible.... Not sure what school is looking to elevate their FB only to FBS....

Personally, I feel the SBC is about to get raided...as soon as things move again. So, realistically they need a lot more than one of anything.
NMSU helps the SBC in all the money sports...so, they are a good addition for the conference any way you look at it.

There is the uncertain situations of Idaho, UTA and UALR with regards to fb...so, any of the three could change the SBC situation back to odd numbers.

Main thing for the SBC...is to make as many good moves as possible before changes come a knockin'. And NMSU would be a good move in my mind regardless of any future changes.

Good post, and i agree 100%. That is what i have been saying for weeks. SBC needs to invite multiple schools regardless of how good they are now! It is more about how good can they be in the future! SBC moto is "Together we rise" so that alone tells you that they care more about the future then what these schools have done in the past! To me if the SBC has schools willing to join in all sports such as EKU, and Liberty that have made it known and possibly Jack St. and others then invite them. I known that NMSU wants all sports and honestly they are pretty good in basketball so bring them in. Who cares if you have 14 or 16 teams, next time a conference comes a calling some schools will be leaving so get more then just one!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:13 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

EKU? They won't have WKU standing in their way anymore...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
EKU? They won't have WKU standing in their way anymore...

Maybe you're right Bishin. But what I've read from that article, WKU won't be on the path of EKU if it was on a conference-play basis, with WKU joining C-USA. However, it also said that it might possibly renew their rivalry series between the two regional schools of the state (once if EKU manages to succeed on joining the FBS).

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:18 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

1 SBC already has 2 new football programs: USA and Georgia State. 4 if UTA and UALR upgrade. Hence I don't see a problem with East Tennessee as a member.

2. I have no problem with UNMS as full member. Doesn't obviate a 12th team for a conference football championship.

3. Liberty is eager and committed, which gets it points from me.

4. I am skeptical the SBC will be raided again. There aren't any new major media market in the SBC. But more importantly the MAC stand at 13, the CUSA at 14, and JMU wants either MAC or CUSA so a 5 teams realignment would need to happen before the SBC is raided. We all know the next move is up to the Big XII. I just don't see them taking more than 4 teams any time soon. In addition, money designated to G5 from the CFP will be evenly distributed regardless of number of members so both the MAC and CUSA wouldn't mind going down to 12 rather than 13 or 14.

Last edited by Huan on Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

hibbett2222 wrote:
Good post, and i agree 100%. That is what i have been saying for weeks. SBC needs to invite multiple schools regardless of how good they are now! It is more about how good can they be in the future! SBC moto is "Together we rise" so that alone tells you that they care more about the future then what these schools have done in the past! To me if the SBC has schools willing to join in all sports such as EKU, and Liberty that have made it known and possibly Jack St. and others then invite them. I known that NMSU wants all sports and honestly they are pretty good in basketball so bring them in. Who cares if you have 14 or 16 teams, next time a conference comes a calling some schools will be leaving so get more then just one!

Thanks!
While I agree that the SBC needs to act immediately....I disagree that they need to take just 'anyone'. Shot for top tier schools first...such as Delaware, Richmond, Sam Houston, Towson...then move on to others.
They also need to plan to replace the schools that might leave...which means ULL and Ark State. So, might be prudent to grab schools in those areas. Otherwise...the footprint falls apart with just ULM in the middle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Huan wrote:
1 SBC already has 2 new football programs: USA and Georgia State. 4 if UTA and UALR upgrade. Hence I don't see a problem with East Tennessee as a member.

2. I have no problem with UNMS as full member. Doesn't obviate a 12th team for a conference football championship.

3. Liberty is eager and committed, which gets it points from me.

4. I am skeptical the SBC will be raided again. There aren't any new major media market in the SBC. But more importantly the MAC stand at 13, the CUSA at 14, and JMU wants either MAC or CUSA so a 5 teams realignment would need to happen before the SBC is raided. We all know the next move is up to the Big XII. I just don't see them taking more than 4 teams any time soon. In addition, money designated to G5 from the CFP will be evenly distributed regardless of number of members so both the MAC and CUSA wouldn't mind going down to 12 rather than 13 or 14.

I agree with many of your points here. However i do see the SBC being raided at least for one more school and that being ULL. I think that ULL would beef up any other GO5 conference football program. However SBC does have two large media markets currently in Atlanta with Georgia St. and in Texas St. Both of these school regardless of how good they are in Football will be wanted by another Go5 conference. Has anyone looked at the SBC webpage basketball schedule? If you have you would notice that they don't have any games listed as being on TV in the next week. Why? they are supposed to have a TV contract with ESPN however in basketball and most football (unless it is a mid-week game) they are only on ESPN 3 which is not really TV! So that brings we back to Liberty. The SBC needs more media coverage and needs more of a media market. I turned on the TV last night and guess who is on MASN (a major regional sports network that spans from DC to NC), yep Liberty. This is like the 3rd or 4th time in the last month i have seen Liberty on MASN. Why wouldn't the SBC want Liberty just so more SBC teams could get more TV time! Liberty has their own Sports network just like BYU does! I mean come on! who cares if they stink! It is about getting more TV time, why because more TV means more exposure and more exposure means greater name recognition for both schools and the conference!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:32 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I don't think that there is going to another raid for a few years so at the moment the Sunbelt is in no eminent danger. Sure the Sunbelt has room to expand but I don't think its urgent to find a 12th full member and its not worth getting into a shotgun wedding with a program that is less than an ideal fit. The Sunbelt just needs to grow the brands its currently has and address expansion when the time arises. There will always be programs in the Southeastern United States interested in upgrading to FBS football. For a school like Troy its probably preferable to remain without divisional play as they have created some budding rivalries with Arkansas St and the ULs and divisional play would jeopardize those series. If they really want a 12th member for football and divisional play UMass could be on the market for a football home soon so they can grab them and then dump them at a later date when the relationship is no longer beneficial to the Sunbelt Conference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Idaho blog article with comments from Idaho AD regarding possible future conference realignment at http://idaho.scout.com/2/1364580.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I hope the Sun Belt does not lose ASU or ULL. Every conference needs 2+ competitive leaders and for the SBC it is currently ASU and ULL (UT & OU for the Big XII for comparison).

I don't believe either Texas State or Georgia State have major media markets. Texas State lives in the shadow of UT nearby and Georgia State is within Georgia Tech's shadow.

if the conference takes UMass for football only, then UNMS needs to become full time member. But i still think Liberty would be better.
but back to East Tennessee State U.
1. Their metro area is close to 500k
2. Their academics is good (they have a med school)
3. Their endownment at 100Mil is respectable for the confenrence
4. They have already made the committment to resume Div I football.
5. They are close to both Appachian State and Georgia State

I think it would be interesting for the SBC to leverage the experience of building new football programs straight to Div I from the works of USA and Georgia State to help other programs do so as new members.
It could be a condition of such help that the program stays for X years in the conference, thus enhancing stability.
It will also come very handy when UTA and UALR decides to do the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:05 pm 
Senior
Senior

Huan wrote:
I hope the Sun Belt does not lose ASU or ULL. Every conference needs 2+ competitive leaders and for the SBC it is currently ASU and ULL (UT & OU for the Big XII for comparison).

I don't believe either Texas State or Georgia State have major media markets. Texas State lives in the shadow of UT nearby and Georgia State is within Georgia Tech's shadow.

if the conference takes UMass for football only, then UNMS needs to become full time member. But i still think Liberty would be better.

I think it would be interesting for the SBC to leverage the experience of building new football programs straight to Div I from the works of USA and Georgia State to help other programs do so as new members.
It could be a condition of such help that the program stays for X years in the conference, thus enhancing stability.

When realignment comes...the losses will hurt for the SBC.

Tx State has a pretty sweet situation, actually. They have a semi proven D-I coach(who has long ties in Texas), great location(directly between SanAntonio and Austin), super hot ladies, beautiful campus, quality education, highest athletic revenue in the conference, recently renovated stadium, large student body, excellent recruiting area, widely know as one of the best party schools in the state. Just look how fast UTSA has come on the scene....Tx State is 30 minutes north of there. Texas and Texas State don't have anything to do with each other...so, just because SanMarcos is just 20 minutes south of town....don't think that affects Tx State. They are just on two totally different levels in regards to almost everything. In conclusion...it's my guess Tx State will get plucked out of the SBC quicker than expected(especially if a western conference wants ties into Texas{PAC, MWC, WAC, whatever new conference the Idaho ad was talking about}). (theoretically, a conference could recruit from UTEP, UTSA, Tx State North Texas, and Rice....and grab a fat chunk of the Texas market without lifting a finger)

If NMSU comes onboard....then Sam Houston should be brought on to help connect the dots. Sam Houston is directly north of Houston....which has many benefits for a conference. No sense leaving NMSU out on a limb...if the conference wants to keep them happy.
Since the three eastern schools are brand new to fbs fb. The conference doesn't need more brand new schools on that side of the map.
....and Liberty....they are just horrible. I think they have potential(5-10yrs). But, not till they prove themselves against a higher class of opponents. They should at least have to make the playoffs a few times, first. If not win it. They have put money into their facilities and budget, on the plus side.

UTA and UALR....tick tock, tick tock. Get in...or get left behind. What do y'all think....give them five years and out they go? Or, maybe less?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:20 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Everyone has gone quite! So what is the lastest news regarding any new schools joining Sun Belt? Any news from the NCAA January meetings?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
Everyone has gone quite! So what is the lastest news regarding any new schools joining Sun Belt? Any news from the NCAA January meetings?

The non fb & fcs conf. board has been pretty active the last few days.
viewforum.php?f=14

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:04 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I guess there may not be need of a 12th team if the ACC can get the rules for conference divisions championship game modified
and the Big XII can then argue if championship games don't need to be based on division champions, why need to have 12 teams or divisions at all for a conference championship.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:42 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
Huan wrote:

When realignment comes...the losses will hurt for the SBC.

Tx State has a pretty sweet situation, actually. They have a semi proven D-I coach(who has long ties in Texas), great location(directly between SanAntonio and Austin), super hot ladies, beautiful campus, quality education, highest athletic revenue in the conference, recently renovated stadium, large student body, excellent recruiting area, widely know as one of the best party schools in the state. Just look how fast UTSA has come on the scene....Tx State is 30 minutes north of there. Texas and Texas State don't have anything to do with each other...so, just because SanMarcos is just 20 minutes south of town....don't think that affects Tx State. They are just on two totally different levels in regards to almost everything. In conclusion...it's my guess Tx State will get plucked out of the SBC quicker than expected(especially if a western conference wants ties into Texas{PAC, MWC, WAC, whatever new conference the Idaho ad was talking about}). (theoretically, a conference could recruit from UTEP, UTSA, Tx State North Texas, and Rice....and grab a fat chunk of the Texas market without lifting a finger)

If NMSU comes onboard....then Sam Houston should be brought on to help connect the dots. Sam Houston is directly north of Houston....which has many benefits for a conference. No sense leaving NMSU out on a limb...if the conference wants to keep them happy.
Since the three eastern schools are brand new to fbs fb. The conference doesn't need more brand new schools on that side of the map.
....and Liberty....they are just horrible. I think they have potential(5-10yrs). But, not till they prove themselves against a higher class of opponents. They should at least have to make the playoffs a few times, first. If not win it. They have put money into their facilities and budget, on the plus side.

UTA and UALR....tick tock, tick tock. Get in...or get left behind. What do y'all think....give them five years and out they go? Or, maybe less?

I give them less. I have a question why doesn't the sun belt go after Central Arkansas? (if they get rid of UALR) get Sam houston state if UTA leaves and invite NMSU for the rest of the sports. Then if need be they could try to make a deal with Idaho to go back to independence.(maybe agreeing to 5 or 6 games a year for football or something)

Us National Soccer Team

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 71  Next