NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:55 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 91  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Central Arkansas was having financial issues last I heard, and even considered dropping down to DII.

We talked about it on the Southland thread, but I'm too last to search for it.

All of the Southland is financially strapped except SHSU, SFA, and Lamar.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The FCS guys on the fcs board pointed out that dropping to D-II was/is not an option according to admin. It was all faculty/staff wanting to save money and demote sports.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
The FCS guys on the fcs board pointed out that dropping to D-II was/is not an option according to admin. It was all faculty/staff wanting to save money and demote sports.

That makes sense, but those financial budget issues were real, so there is no way they go FBS right?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

That makes sense, but those financial budget issues were real, so there is no way they go FBS right?

Not that I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
I give them less. I have a question why doesn't the sun belt go after Central Arkansas? (if they get rid of UALR) get Sam houston state if UTA leaves and invite NMSU for the rest of the sports. Then if need be they could try to make a deal with Idaho to go back to independence.(maybe agreeing to 5 or 6 games a year for football or something)

Central Arkansas might be a possibility for the Sun Belt. But why not having UALR and UTA a chance for them to install football within a few years time? Or why not giving Idaho full member status within a few years time? I know this might sound weird, but it might be worth a try.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:54 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
46566 wrote:
I give them less. I have a question why doesn't the sun belt go after Central Arkansas? (if they get rid of UALR) get Sam houston state if UTA leaves and invite NMSU for the rest of the sports. Then if need be they could try to make a deal with Idaho to go back to independence.(maybe agreeing to 5 or 6 games a year for football or something)

Central Arkansas might be a possibility for the Sun Belt. Not if they are having budget problems.

But why not give UALR and UTA a chance to install football within a few years time? They HAVE the chance, now....and they aren't taking it. So, that put's everyone in the same spot they are in now. So, no help there.

Or why not giving Idaho full member status within a few years time? I know this might sound weird, but it might be worth a try. First, Idaho isn't anywhere near the other schools, so travel would be murder. Second, they don't sponsor very many mens sports so, the inventory isn't there. I don't see this as a valid 'gain' for the conference.

Why not take Sam Houston?
They are within the current footprint. They could bridge Tx State and ULL. They are very close to the Houston market for TV, travel and recruiting. They have been competitive in fb over the last ten years. They have a quality(not super high quality like JMU) school, facilities and enrollment. They have a track record of playing the top schools in the State in all sports, so they are ready for the upgrade in athletics. Sam Houston is an easy fit into the SunBelt and should be given top priority.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
46566 wrote:

Central Arkansas might be a possibility for the Sun Belt. Not if they are having budget problems.

But why not give UALR and UTA a chance to install football within a few years time? They HAVE the chance, now....and they aren't taking it. So, that put's everyone in the same spot they are in now. So, no help there.

Or why not giving Idaho full member status within a few years time? I know this might sound weird, but it might be worth a try. First, Idaho isn't anywhere near the other schools, so travel would be murder. Second, they don't sponsor very many mens sports so, the inventory isn't there. I don't see this as a valid 'gain' for the conference.

Why not take Sam Houston?
They are within the current footprint. They could bridge Tx State and ULL. They are very close to the Houston market for TV, travel and recruiting. They have been competitive in fb over the last ten years. They have a quality(not super high quality like JMU) school, facilities and enrollment. They have a track record of playing the top schools in the State in all sports, so they are ready for the upgrade in athletics. Sam Houston is an easy fit into the SunBelt and should be given top priority.

Speaking of schools within the Sun Belt footprint, any thoughts with Jacksonville State or Towson?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am 
Senior
Senior

Jville State has expressed interest in jumping up.
I haven't heard anything about Towson wanting to move up. In fact I read an article stating that they were considering cutting their athletic budget and possibly programs?? So, while their Championship was pretty exciting...I don't know if they plan to capitalize on it?

Personally, I don't have a real problem with either school. Though, I don't see a reason to have three schools in the state of Alabama at this time...when there are so many untapped markets available to the SBC.

If the SBC was targeting Towson...I would guess that it would try to capture JMU along side. Which would be a pretty sweet grab for the Belt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I haven't heard anything about Towson wanting to move up. In fact I read an article stating that they were considering cutting their athletic budget and possibly programs?? So, while their Championship was pretty exciting...I don't know if they plan to capitalize on it?

Personally, I don't have a real problem with either school. Though, I don't see a reason to have three schools in the state of Alabama at this time...when there are so many untapped markets available to the SBC.

If the SBC was targeting Towson...I would guess that it would try to capture JMU along side. Which would be a pretty sweet grab for the Belt.

You mean championship run, since Towson was the runner-up to North Dakota St. Anyways, back to the discussion, which states within the Sun Belt footprint do you believe that it should receive some more attention? Texas might not be one of them, unless if Sam Houston St. plans to have interest on upgrading to FBS.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:34 am 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

You mean championship run, since Towson was the runner-up to North Dakota St. Anyways, back to the discussion, which states within the Sun Belt footprint do you believe that it should receive some more attention? Texas might not be one of them, unless if Sam Houston St. plans to have interest on upgrading to FBS.

Thanks for catching the mistake. Yes, Championship run. Sorry.

I don't know if you can really go by State...that the SBC needs to expand into. Mostly because there aren't always great candidates in every state...that are available. Such as...Kentucky. Ky would be great for the SBC to expand into...but, EKU isn't really that great a candidate, yet.
I believe that the SBC should list the best available schools and then weed them out by location, if needed.

My list: Sam Houston, Richmond fb, UMass fb, McNeese, Tenn State, Illinois State, Mo State.
(Tenn State for their location)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Here's the list of school where something has been written about them looking/wanting to move to FBS

James Madison
Jacksonville St. (problem, 2 schools in the conf. already play in AL)
Sam Houston St. (problem, stadium)
Lamar
Missouri St.
Liberty (problem, school's views)
N.Iowa (problem, stadium)
Illinois St.
*E.Kentucky (did we find out if their want to move is legit?)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

I don't know if you can really go by State...that the SBC needs to expand into. Mostly because there aren't always great candidates in every state...that are available. Such as...Kentucky. Ky would be great for the SBC to expand into...but, EKU isn't really that great a candidate, yet.
I believe that the SBC should list the best available schools and then weed them out by location, if needed.

My list: Sam Houston, Richmond fb, UMass fb, McNeese, Tenn State, Illinois State, Mo State.

Remember the school first has to want to move up before any other factor can be talked about. Grand Valley St. is good enough to be a top notch FCS school and has more students than Fresno St. which has over 25K, but they don't want to move up.

Richmond's problem was lack of fan base, cost of the added schollies for a private school, stadium is small too, I think.
I don't know if McNeese wants to move or maybe the state doesn't want them to b/c of financial problems also saturated w/ ULL, ULM.
Tenn St., that's new I have no idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:11 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Remember the school first has to want to move up before any other factor can be talked about. Grand Valley St. is good enough to be a top notch FCS school and has more students than Fresno St. which has over 25K, but they don't want to move up.

Richmond's problem was lack of fan base, cost of the added schollies for a private school, stadium is small too, I think.
I don't know if McNeese wants to move or maybe the state doesn't want them to b/c of financial problems also saturated w/ ULL, ULM.

The budget problems in La. could definitely put the halt on any of those schools making many moves. Though, ULL has been spending money on facilities upgrades.
I don't know if Richmond has a plan to move up...so, that could present a problem for sure.
Yeah, Tn State...I threw them in mostly for their location. And the fact that the SBC has tried to add HBCU's in the past. Nashville is a good market for the SBC...so, if not Tn State...then maybe Belmont or Lipscomb for bb?

I don't know....the SBC is in a tough spot. Quality is hard to find and recruit these days. And so many schools have already turned them down...which worries me a bunch.

Were there some other schools that Y'all were thinking of...for the SBC list?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
mozilla wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
mozilla wrote:

The budget problems in La. could definitely put the halt on any of those schools making many moves. Though, ULL has been spending money on facilities upgrades.
I don't know if Richmond has a plan to move up...so, that could present a problem for sure.
Yeah, Tn State...I threw them in mostly for their location. And the fact that the SBC has tried to add HBCU's in the past. Nashville is a good market for the SBC...so, if not Tn State...then maybe Belmont or Lipscomb for bb?

I don't know....the SBC is in a tough spot. Quality is hard to find and recruit these days. And so many schools have already turned them down...which worries me a bunch.

Were there some other schools that Y'all were thinking of...for the SBC list?

Belmont for sure over Lipscomb. They'd have to want 12/14 set up 10 full w fb 4 other sports schools, 2 fb only.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Here's the list of school where something has been written about them looking/wanting to move to FBS

James Madison
Jacksonville St. (problem, 2 schools in the conf. already play in AL)
Sam Houston St. (problem, stadium)
Lamar
Missouri St.
Liberty (problem, school's views)
N.Iowa (problem, stadium)
Illinois St.
*E.Kentucky (did we find out if their want to move is legit?)

To be fair, SHSU's stadium can be easily upgraded to FBS status, I'm not sure it constitutes a "problem."

The biggest problem for SHSU is that SFA isn't ready to upgrade, those two school and the rivalry mean a lot to people and I don't think it would be easy for SHSU to leave them behind. Upgrading the stadium would be easier by comparison.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 91  Next