NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:07 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:40 am 
Senior
Senior

playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The recommendation of Lamar to the SBC is where you said Lamar was good. A school that competes is acceptable....a school that doesn't compete isn't. Which takes Lamar and Liberty...right out of the conversation

playa4life wrote:
baseball is currently ranked 3rd in the sbc after not being in the sbc for 15 years.

You did state, however, that Lamar was in the SBC for the first time in 15 years for baseball. What is that about? I can only assume that it was a type-o from SLC....but, they have been in the SLC for a while now...so, I am not certain why you wrote that?

Bottom line for the SBC is....
They don't need schools that can't win or don't win. The SBC needs schools that can compete. SHSU has been very competitive over the last 10 years. And that level of competition will help the SBC stay on its feet while the realignment marry go round keeps turning.
If not SHSU...then some other school that is competitive and 'in' the footprint.
Which brings me to the last point...Stay in the footprint. The SBC doesn't need to get larger and more spread out. Develop from within.

So in other words I didn't say Lamar was good in mbb, you just made it up.

How do you know what a school will do in the future? by past?
Lamar is 6-50 last 2 years with Pat Knight therefore Lamar will go 60-500 over the next 10 years. Is this really your logic? very shortsighted. Can I say Lamar is guarantee 18th rank and another sweet 16?
It's all about potential. Lamar has the money and resources. Heck they fired Knight before season over. very costly. Lamar has the location, mid-way between ULL and Texas st. Lamar has a metro bigger than most SBC schools. Bigger than Lafayette, bigger than Texas Tech Lubbock and only 1 hours drive from 6.5 million in Houston. The potential is there if Lamar can pick the right coaches.
SBC is not blind.

OK I get it. You LOVE LAMAR. :shock:

I however, don't.
They haven't shown any capability to string together more than two years in 8 for mbb.
Their fb program is super young...and hasn't won many games or played too much competition...having played so many DII schools in their first four years.

So, Yeah. I look at that stuff. :D

Why pick potential when you can get a competitive school that has set some tradition. :idea:

And Huntsville is in between ULL and Texas State. So, that's a wash.

Lamar is having trouble recruiting players and coaches....in a hotbed of recruiting. That's a bad sign.

I just don't see that Lamar has many or any advantages over SHSU.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The recommendation of Lamar to the SBC is where you said Lamar was good. A school that competes is acceptable....a school that doesn't compete isn't. Which takes Lamar and Liberty...right out of the conversation

playa4life wrote:
baseball is currently ranked 3rd in the sbc after not being in the sbc for 15 years.

You did state, however, that Lamar was in the SBC for the first time in 15 years for baseball. What is that about? I can only assume that it was a type-o from SLC....but, they have been in the SLC for a while now...so, I am not certain why you wrote that?

They don't need schools that can't win or don't win. The SBC needs schools that can compete. SHSU has been very competitive over the last 10 years. And that level of competition will help the SBC stay on its feet while the realignment marry go round keeps turning.
If not SHSU...then some other school that is competitive and 'in' the footprint.
Which brings me to the last point...Stay in the footprint. The SBC doesn't need to get larger and more spread out. Develop from within.

Lamar is 6-50 last 2 years with Pat Knight therefore Lamar will go 60-500 over the next 10 years. Is this really your logic? very shortsighted. Can I say Lamar is guarantee 18th rank and another sweet 16?
It's all about potential. Lamar has the money and resources. Heck they fired Knight before season over. very costly. Lamar has the location, mid-way between ULL and Texas st. Lamar has a metro bigger than most SBC schools. Bigger than Lafayette, bigger than Texas Tech Lubbock and only 1 hours drive from 6.5 million in Houston. The potential is there if Lamar can pick the right coaches.
SBC is not blind.

I however, don't.
They haven't shown any capability to string together more than two years in 8 for mbb.
Their fb program is super young...and hasn't won many games or played too much competition...having played so many DII schools in their first four years.

Why pick potential when you can get a competitive school that has set some tradition. :idea:

Lamar is having trouble recruiting players and coaches....in a hotbed of recruiting. That's a bad sign.

UTSA didn't prove itself at the FCS level.

Regardless if I like Lamar or not, facts are facts.
Lamar has a fbs budget, sam does not
Lamar has plans for a 30,000 stadium, sam does not
Lamar sits in a metro of 400,000-sam 26,000
Lamar attendance is greater than sam while sam is playing in championship and lamar is losing.
Since returning to slc, Lamar has 2 trips to big dance sam has 2. Lamar 5-5 including sweet 16, sam 0-2
Lamar women elite 8 appearance ranked 7th, sam never ranked.
Lamar has 2 bowl appearance, sam lost 2 fcs championship
Lamar plays all SBC sports, sam does not.

maybe you aren't looking hard enough. sheesh you think mcneese and sela are good candidates for the sbc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:50 pm 
Senior
Senior

Sorry Bro, I'm just not buyin it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

I'm not buying Lamar either. Numbers are numbers and I agree that Lamar does succeed in areas other schools don't, but there are certain schools I'd pick over Lamar any day - especially Sam Houston St. Expansion and realignment is football-driven plain and simple. The Sun Belt Conference is trying to get relevant in the immediate future, not long term - especially in football. Georgia Southern and Appalachian St were great additions to the conference. Sam Houston St, a consistent top 10 FCS program, is definitely going to get the invite over Lamar. It really doesn't matter what happens in basketball for the Sun Belt. It's not like they're relevant anyway. It's all about football. Whether or not we hear about Sam Houston St getting the invite is another story. They are tied to Stephen F. Austin St at the heart. Both schools are very similar in many ways and Sam Houston St would probably need some serious $$$convincing$$$ to leave Stephen F. Austin behind. Sam Houston St might have already said no to the Sun Belt in private. Lamar is not so tied to a school and would probably jump all over the invite. However, there is no way Lamar is a better option. Lamar would probably be much more willing to join than Sam Houston St. As far as the schools in Louisiana, I think Lamar is a better option than them because the Sun Belt doesn't need to overload schools in a state. Two per state is good enough in my opinion, except for Texas, for a conference as spread out as the Sun Belt already is.

Also, Lamar doesn't have teams in every Sun Belt sport. Men's soccer is starting again in the fall and Lamar doesn't have a men's soccer team.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr - Is it only about football? But what about basketball?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr - Is it only about football? But what about basketball?

I would say athletically it's only about football, especially for FBS conferences. But name, academics, geography, and marketability are major factors. Granted, some schools are not picked up because of football, but those are few and far between unless its a big name program like Syracuse or Pittsburgh were to the ACC. I should've clarified that I can't honestly imagine the Sun Belt expanding because of basketball first and football second! Good catch on your part, poor explanation on mine!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

playa4life wrote:

SBC is not blind.

I however, don't.

Lamar attendance is greater than sam while sam is playing in championship and lamar is losing.
Since returning to slc, Lamar has 2 trips to big dance sam has 2. Lamar 5-5 including sweet 16, sam 0-2

maybe you aren't looking hard enough. sheesh you think mcneese and sela are good candidates for the sbc.

UTSA or Georgia St., or FIU or FAU or Charlotte never proved anything before moving FBS. I don't think Lamar gets it. JMU still says no then they need to evaluate Missouri St. vs EKU. I don't think Liberty gets in either b/c of their values. W/ a bottom tier conf. adding JMU or SHSU b/c they're good doesn't get them out of last and if those schools are so good CUSA will take them anyway, after proving themselves in the SBC. so they look for new market and facilities, b/c just being good doesn't take them out of 10th or bring a new market for tv.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
Sorry Bro, I'm just not buyin it. :)

PLEASE dude buy it. what i got to do for you to buy. wait until mid march. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

BePcr07 wrote:
I'm not buying Lamar either. Numbers are numbers and I agree that Lamar does succeed in areas other schools don't, but there are certain schools I'd pick over Lamar any day - especially Sam Houston St. Expansion and realignment is football-driven plain and simple. The Sun Belt Conference is trying to get relevant in the immediate future, not long term - especially in football. Georgia Southern and Appalachian St were great additions to the conference. Sam Houston St, a consistent top 10 FCS program, is definitely going to get the invite over Lamar. It really doesn't matter what happens in basketball for the Sun Belt. It's not like they're relevant anyway. It's all about football. Whether or not we hear about Sam Houston St getting the invite is another story. They are tied to Stephen F. Austin St at the heart. Both schools are very similar in many ways and Sam Houston St would probably need some serious $$$convincing$$$ to leave Stephen F. Austin behind. Sam Houston St might have already said no to the Sun Belt in private. Lamar is not so tied to a school and would probably jump all over the invite. However, there is no way Lamar is a better option. Lamar would probably be much more willing to join than Sam Houston St. As far as the schools in Louisiana, I think Lamar is a better option than them because the Sun Belt doesn't need to overload schools in a state. Two per state is good enough in my opinion, except for Texas, for a conference as spread out as the Sun Belt already is.

Also, Lamar doesn't have teams in every Sun Belt sport. Men's soccer is starting again in the fall and Lamar doesn't have a men's soccer team.

Mcneese was at the top of the fcs world then dropped. SHSU made it, now is dropping. stop being naive to a picture in time. One day Lamar will shine, then drop. Ull is shining, before ull it was ulm, before ulm, it was troy. Take away win loses, only Lamar, of southland, can make the jump now.

SBC sponsoring men soccer is coming, not today.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:45 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

playa4life wrote:

SBC is not blind.

I however, don't.

UTSA or Georgia St., or FIU or FAU or Charlotte never proved anything before moving FBS. I don't think Lamar gets it. JMU still says no then they need to evaluate Missouri St. vs EKU. I don't think Liberty gets in either b/c of their values. W/ a bottom tier conf. adding JMU or SHSU b/c they're good doesn't get them out of last and if those schools are so good CUSA will take them anyway, after proving themselves in the SBC. so they look for new market and facilities, b/c just being good doesn't take them out of 10th or bring a new market for tv.

Lamar is already ready to make the jump. Lamar budget is SBC ready. Football coach already getting a fbs salary. There is nothing Lamar needs to do, unlike SHSU, to begin playing fbs. The clues are there. Also the rumors of Lamar joining the sbc this year. We will know in a month. Be prepared to pick your jaw up from the floor. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:06 am 
Freshman
Freshman

mozilla wrote:
Gemofthehills wrote:
playa4life wrote:
sbc options are limited.
Liberty and Lamar are only 2 current options.

JMU not interested.
mo st is near ready if they are interest. Mo st makes a great travel partner with ark st.
JAX ST and EKU no.

Expect Liberty or Lamar or both.

There are several more options than Liberty and Lamar. If your wanting an East member then Lamar is out. If the MVC loses another member it could cause a reassessment by many schools.

All of these schools are close in the resource area so budget isn't the big issue. Facilities are needed by all candidates with all needing some high dollar improvements. Several of the existing members need improvements.

Lamar and JSU have the issue of members not wanting another member close by to recruit against.

The one thing that Lamar has....is facilities. They just can't seem to get quality athletes to attend their nice digs.
As I remember, JSU also has a pretty nice fb field but, their other facilities are a bit outdated.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on what a reassessment by MVC schools would entail? What could be the possible outcomes of their actions and who would be making changes?

Lamar needs football improvements and softball doesn't look too good online.
JSU needs basketball and baseball improvements which are probably about the same cost as improving a football stadium. JSU softball is new, tennis has secured funding to redo, golf and rifle have very good facilities, soccer is fairly new, track is fine.
Both as most of the others need some work in several areas.

MVC is a very attractive basketball league but loss creighton. Lose a Whicita St or equal and the league isn't near as strong. This could cause a school to reassess. UNI is a strong program who should have options along with Mo St.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

playa4life wrote:

SBC is not blind.

I however, don't.

Lamar is already ready to make the jump. Lamar budget is SBC ready. Football coach already getting a fbs salary. There is nothing Lamar needs to do, unlike SHSU, to begin playing fbs. The clues are there. Also the rumors of Lamar joining the sbc this year. We will know in a month. Be prepared to pick your jaw up from the floor. :shock:

JSU is ready so is Liberty, I don't see SBC jumping for them either. They may end up settling for 1 of you that are further down their list b/c they need a yes or no for #12 by a certain time. My jaw has only dropped once and it was for UMKC going to the WAC, so be prepared for me to go meh, if they call Lamar or SHSU or Liberty or JSU or EKU. Missouri St. or JMU is what would rather see but whatever, there's nothing earth shattering coming here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:06 am 
Senior
Senior

Lamar Total Revenue from athletics = 13.2 million
SHSU Total Revenue from athletics = 12.4 million

Not much of a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:35 am 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:
playa4life wrote:
mozilla wrote:

playa4life wrote:

SBC is not blind.

I however, don't.

JSU is ready so is Liberty, I don't see SBC jumping for them either. They may end up settling for 1 of you that are further down their list b/c they need a yes or no for #12 by a certain time. My jaw has only dropped once and it was for UMKC going to the WAC, so be prepared for me to go meh, if they call Lamar or SHSU or Liberty or JSU or EKU. Missouri St. or JMU is what would rather see but whatever, there's nothing earth shattering coming here.
I see why we differ. You see a 12th team only, I see a 12th and 13th being added. IMO, the SBC could lose 4 schools in the near future.
Idaho, UTA, UALR, and ULM. SBC goes to 12 with a CCG then lose a fb member, sbc must cancel CCG until fcs move-up again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

playa4life wrote:
I see why we differ. You see a 12th team only, I see a 12th and 13th being added. IMO, the SBC could lose 4 schools in the near future.
Idaho, UTA, UALR, and ULM. SBC goes to 12 with a CCG then lose a fb member, sbc must cancel CCG until fcs move-up again.

Now you're starting to get the idea a bit. And certain things of options or opinions related with this discussion (but unfortunately are "out of the question") are whether UALR and UTA plan to add/re-instate football or whether NMSU should go for full membership status over football-only status; and putting Idaho aside, since they'll be in the Big Sky for non-football sports.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 88  Next