NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 94  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:19 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks going to 16 has to be start by Pac 12 getting (UT, TT, OU, OSU) or SEC or B1G and no G5 conference will go 1st b/c the money isn't there, and money started all this in the 1st place, way back when ND signed w/ NBC and Penn St. joined the B1G. CFA was gone.

PAC16 could in ten years when the GORs expire, and so could the SEC.

The Big Ten is the most logical as their contract is up soon and with the network and all but other than UConn I don't see a real candidate out there for them with the GORs.

Other than those...

CUSA is the most likely conference outside of those three that I think could move up to 16 as their already over the 12.

The MAC could as recruiting in the rust belt is declining and they are looking at 14 so I could also see 16 as a possibility.

The MWC won't go past 12 unless it's with BYU.

The AAC could go to 14 if Army decided to join.

I don't see any benefit to the Sun Belt moving past 12 at his time, they need the money from the playoff and the CCG but 14/16 only brings more headache and less money and less chances for bowl or other post season opportunities like the NCAA bball tourney.

what 2 schools could CUSA bring in to make them more profitable and worth going to 16?

I don't have an exact answer for that because I think this is a long term plan, not a short term.

Short Term, nobody will make these schools more money, however they could set up better traveling divisions or pods and reduce the number of flights for some of the schools and increases exposure to recruiting hotbed like the Southwest in Texas or the Southeast in Florida/Alabama. Say they take JMU and Georgia State (or Ark St or ULL) and it make a pretty solid pod system.

Texas, LA/MS/TN/KY, AL/GA/FL, NC/VA/WV (if ASU/ULL pair TN/KY with FL and AL with MS/LA/Ark)

Long Term, it could increase the TV contract as they have more markets/state now than when last negotiated and NBC is now buying rights too, adding more members now allows for a greater chance that they'll have a few Boise/TCU successes (and like you said everyone else is mostly locked down above them), and the East is still pretty spread out so it could develop a better rivalries and increase regional interest to increase popularity (like have a traveling trophy for the Texas schools and label each as N/S/E/W Texas's team and get the fans invested). Also CUSA wants/needs to establish itself as the #3 non AQ conference because right now they are losing to the MAC so taking JMU and possibly a MAC member like Buffalo, Ohio, or UNI could also accomplish that, while losing Marshall to the MAC would hurt them so giving them another regional rival also can't hurt.

Also it could be reactionary (why allow the SBC or MAC into VA where ODU will be fighting them for market share when you can be the official #2 after the ACC with both JMU/ODU) or it could be dissatisfaction by long time members (UAB or So Miss) with the new divisions causing them to expand to please the old timers. And then there is always a sense of fear that they'll be poached again by the AAC following the dominoes from a Big 12 or Big Ten expansion so adding numbers now may deter the needs to add in the future and also allow their feeder conference to restock with more options for future expansion.

I know that's not a real answer to your question but that what I could see as a "reason" for them to expand at this time. Its not a strong argument but I think CUSA has more smoke behind the scenes than any of the others.

I agree that of the G5 CUSA seems to have the most/only rumors of 16 some day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:21 am 
Senior
Senior

NorwichCat11 wrote:
I think that there could be some interesting changes in the SBC. What about going to 16? UALR and UTA drop out, New Mexico St. added for all sports, Idaho out, add Lamar and Missouri St. for the west and add U.Tennessee-C., Eastern Kentucky, and Citadel for the east?
Lamar - about ready and wanting in. Near Houston for tv market.
Missouri St. - might accept invite this year. Near Arkansas St. - easy travel partnership.
Eastern Kentucky - they want in. In the area for Appalachian St. - travel partner.
Citadel - will probably accept invite. In Charleston for tv market.
U.Tennessee - C. - might be ready to accept invite this year. Possible travel partner for Appalachian St.
Does this sound plausible??

Just a quick recap of the Citadel's record over the last four years:

football: 19-26 (played four FBS schools in that period, one per year)
basketball: 28-93 (over 20 losses per season)

In fb, they haven't finished higher then 5th, in the last four years.
While Charleston is a beautiful city...it doesn't seem to be adding anything to the Citadels ability to compete or win.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:48 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Once the big xii expands to 12, the G5 will more like shed programs to go to 12 than to pick up programs and go to 16.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

Huan wrote:
Once the big xii expands to 12, the G5 will more like shed programs to go to 12 than to pick up programs and go to 16.

I think 14 is were the big 5 stay at to be honest. I think that it gives them the most money and limits travel. With most(if not all) of the big conferences having tv networks i think they would need more teams to fill the tv schedules and have games shown on ESPN or fox.

On that note I'm curious do you guys think with more of the big 5 conferences having tv networks, does that open the doors to the lower conferences getting more tv time?

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
Huan wrote:

I think 14 is were the big 5 stay at to be honest. I think that it gives them the most money and limits travel. With most(if not all) of the big conferences having tv networks i think they would need more teams to fill the tv schedules and have games shown on ESPN or fox.

On that note I'm curious do you guys think with more of the big 5 conferences having tv networks, does that open the doors to the lower conferences getting more tv time?

14 should be the max number of schools for ALL conferences who have or are almost to that limit. If over 16, then the conference-play scheduling format would be difficult.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
14 should be the max number of schools for ALL conferences who have or are almost to that limit. If over 16, then the conference-play scheduling format would be difficult.

This is obviously not saying that conferences MUST go to 14, but only they MAY NOT go past 14. For me the next question is where do the current conferences go to for expansion?

B1G: 14 - done
SEC: 14 - done
ACC: 14 (15ish) - done
CUSA: 14 - done, but will probably be a target of other conferences so expansion may be wanted/needed, would look to SBC or FCS upgrades
MAC: 13 - may pick up James Madison, may lose Massachusetts, would look to CUSA (Marshall? Western Kentucky? Old Dominion? Charlotte? Middle Tennessee St?)
PAC: 12 - would not likely pick up Texoma-4, would probably sit at 12, would look to MWC if wanted to expand
AAC: 12 - will probably be a target of other conferences so expansion may be wanted/needed, would look CUSA and MAC for targets
MWC: 12 - would probably sit at 12, but would look to BYU and schools in CUSA (UTEP? UTSA? Rice?) and AAC (Houston? SMU? Tulsa?)
SBC: 11 - will likely go to 12 with an FCS upgrade, will likely be picked by CUSA a few more times, then would look to FCS upgrades ----- with all the upgrades recently, they might as well make 3 subdivision in division 1 football (Power, Bowl, Championship)
XII: 10 - if 14 is a cap, the XII is here to stay, would look to AAC first for expansion (Cincinnati? Connecticut?) then to BYU/MWC expansion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am 
Senior
Senior

46566 wrote:

I can't say about the other networks...but, I have watched Texas State games on the Longhorn Network. Seeing Texas State games on TV has been a rare occurrence in the Austin market in the 24 years I have lived here. A local station also picked up a handful of Texas State fb and bb games on the Sun Belt Network.
So, the current atmosphere has opened things up for at least one school.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
46566 wrote:

I can't say about the other networks...but, I have watched Texas State games on the Longhorn Network. Seeing Texas State games on TV has been a rare occurrence in the Austin market in the 24 years I have lived here. A local station also picked up a handful of Texas State fb and bb games on the Sun Belt Network.
So, the current atmosphere has opened things up for at least one school.

They have the same arrangement for UTSA too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:44 pm 
Senior
Senior

So does anyone have any updated information on 12th member for SBC? I can't find anything. I know that there must be some talking going on between schools and the SBC and i know that the SBC wants a 12th before June 1st, so somebody has to have heard some kind of leaked information!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
So does anyone have any updated information on 12th member for SBC? I can't find anything. I know that there must be some talking going on between schools and the SBC and i know that the SBC wants a 12th before June 1st, so somebody has to have heard some kind of leaked information!

As far as my knowledge, I hadn't yet heard about anything related with it.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:

Agreed. Liberty's the school I'm hearing the most, but It sounds like amplified speculation that ran amok and now has a life of its own. A "Dude-like" rumor with no legs, but getting passed around like a hot potato.

If the CAA and SoCon don't want Liberty, why should the Sun Belt want them? And now that the Sun Belt has these former CAA and SoCon members, who didn't want Liberty back then, either, how could Liberty even get consideration?

EKU, Missouri State, Illinois State, and JMU. Those are the ones I'm watching. I also wonder if there's a Florida school somewhere to be had. It's got to be killing them to not be in that state.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:52 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:

Agreed. Liberty's the school I'm hearing the most, but It sounds like amplified speculation that ran amok and now has a life of its own. A "Dude-like" rumor with no legs, but getting passed around like a hot potato.

If the CAA and SoCon don't want Liberty, why should the Sun Belt want them? And now that the Sun Belt has these former CAA and SoCon members, who didn't want Liberty back then, either, how could Liberty even get consideration?

EKU, Missouri State, Illinois State, and JMU. Those are the ones I'm watching.

Don't forget about Jacksonville State, which should be also in consideration (after all, like Troy at one point, it competed in the Southland Conference as a football member).

Plus, of the current membership starting next season, the Sun Belt has schools, from the past 25 seasons, who were formerly from the CAA (Georgia State, a charter Sun Belt member who re-joined), the SoCon (Appalachian State and Georgia State), also the former football-sponsoring WAC (Texas State and Texas-Arlington), as well as the Southland (Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, Louisiana-Monroe), and even the A-Sun (Troy and UALR). Only South Alabama is the only charter member alive who's been on the Sun Belt without interruption since its inception, and being a non-football school for almost most of its athletics existence.

And at one point, the conference, from the past 10-15 years, used to have at least a former member or two who was once part of either of the OVC (Western Kentucky and Middle Tennessee St.) or the Southland (Louisiana Tech) or the Big West (North Texas and New Mexico State; with Idaho and Utah State as fb-only members) or even the A-Sun (Florida International and Florida Atlantic).

My question is: "Do you believe that the step-by-step ladder format has been a factor within conference realignment all along?"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 pm 
Senior
Senior

I don't think there has always been such a distinct ladder from the top conferences down to the bottom. Because the big disparity came about from TV revenues. And TV didn't become such a big force until....I don't know...the 80's or something like that....when big conference contracts started to go crazy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I don't think there has always been such a distinct ladder from the top conferences down to the bottom. Because the big disparity came about from TV revenues. And TV didn't become such a big force until....I don't know...the 80's or something like that....when big conference contracts started to go crazy.

It started when ND got the contract from NBC and Penn St. announced in 1990 they were going to the B1G, the CFA was gone w/ the balanced pay outs. All the Indy schools had to join a conf. Big East fb shortly after.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_ ... all_season 26 Indy schools back then.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 94  Next