NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_NCAA_Division_I-A_football_season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 26 Indy schools back then.

No kidding. Seems like yesterday (or yesteryear). Ever since, my Noles went to the ACC in 1992-93 (the year after they officially joined as a full all-sports member), South Carolina went to the SEC in 1992-93 also (same thing like FSU did), old Big East football was formed in 1991-92, C-USA football was formed in 1997-98. Only Notre Dame, Army and Navy remained as Indies during that span. On a side note, so looking forward to any kind of scoop that's Sun Belt-related with conference realignment/expansion otherwise.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

A school like Louisville, BC, Miami, or Utah had a ladder. Schools like ECU, UConn, and BYU have mountains.

If it was about merit in any one program, there are programs that should be higher than where they are. If its on spending, it's the same story. Academics...same.

It's never been a meritocracy. It never will be.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

4 to 6 schools are interested in joining:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -belt-spot

Coastal Carolina is not one of the schools. Though Liberty is though it is a given.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

46566 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -belt-spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coastal Carolina is not one of the schools. Though Liberty is though it is a given.

If only in the east, hard to come up with 4-6.
I'll try:
Liberty
JMU - believe if interested would be in
Jacksonville State
Eastern Kentucky
UT-Chattanooga
Alabama State
Can't remember anymore ever mentioned in somewhat legitimate new sources. Message board offer other options.

If not just the east:
Lamar
Sam Houston State
Missouri State

The truly interested who would most likely accept:
Liberty
JSU
EKU
Lamar
SHSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:15 am 
Senior
Senior

46566 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -belt-spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This isn't a reflection on 46566, but, that was a pretty worthless article.

Ya' think he(the author) could have done a bit more work on figuring out the six he said were interested? This article seems to be more baseless hype regarding Liberty.

Liberty has a budget that is well above many SBC schools, but what else are they offering to the SunBelt? They are barely competitive in a conference with 6 fb teams. In basketball they are even worse. They would be the furthest school to the north and east, so they are out on an island...and don't offer competitive athletics.
How is a school that can't compete in the Big South...going to be able to compete at a higher level?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
46566 wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... -belt-spot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This isn't a reflection on 46566, but, that was a pretty worthless article.

Ya' think he(the author) could have done a bit more work on figuring out the six he said were interested? This article seems to be more baseless hype regarding Liberty.

Liberty has a budget that is well above many SBC schools, but what else are they offering to the SunBelt? They are barely competitive in a conference with 6 fb teams. In basketball they are even worse. They would be the furthest school to the north and east, so they are out on an island...and don't offer competitive athletics.
How is a school that can't compete in the Big South...going to be able to compete at a higher level?

I kind of figured it was hype before i posted it. The main reason why i posted it was because he stated Coastal Carolina was not looking to join.Let alone it's from a cbs sports page.(even though i don't think he works directly for them)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:32 pm 
Senior
Senior

The article also confuses things by saying 4-6 schools have expressed interest. ...So, they are telling us that 4 schools have expressed interest...and 2 schools...we're not so sure about. I mean, what kind of double talk is that from Benson?

I am getting the strong feeling that Benson is flushing this conference down the toilet. First, schools take off in mass numbers. Then he waits and waits to get a 12th fb member. I don't feel the Sun Belt has any power to pull in a quality school.

Benson is a moron who has shown an ability to kill a conference. Hope it doesn't become a habit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:21 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Sunbelt would be much better off staying put and dealing with the funky 11 team alignment than bringing in an Eastern school just for the sake of balancing things out. They should ride it out and wait for the next alignment and reassess their position.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There were 2 nuggets of actual info in this otherwise worthless article.

Team #12 is to be added to the East.
As I opined earlier, the will create travel partners somehow of:
Troy, South Alabama, Appy State, and team #12.
(assuming Georgia Southern and Georgia State will be paired up).

The invitation will ideally happen by about June 1, to beat the June 30th NCAA deadline.

Not speculation by internet posters - this came directly form the conf. commissioner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
The Sunbelt would be much better off staying put and dealing with the funky 11 team alignment than bringing in an Eastern school just for the sake of balancing things out. They should ride it out and wait for the next alignment and reassess their position.

But going to 12 gets them a CCG and more exposure plus each school an extra 200K w/o splitting the pie as the playoff will pay them for the 12th school.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So Missouri St. sounds like they're out. Plus I don't know how close to done their upgrades are. EKU, Liberty, Jacksonville St., JMU(not coming), Towson?, ???. UTC said no, Lamar, SHSU, Missouri St. are in the west.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

For MoSU, I'm sure some schools would willingly "move east." Schools like Missouri State and James Madison are what the Sun Belt really want in a program.

...but I think Missouri State's got eyes for the MAC.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:18 am 
Senior
Senior

I just don't like this hodge-podge construction that Benson is putting together.

Adding fb only schools, not in the footprint, instead of full members. Adding soccer only schools, not in the footprint, instead of full members. Adding another non fb school not that long ago.

Now, because of how he set the footprint....he says...we need, not the best institution, but some school in the east.

I just don't get how Benson can talk about balancing the conference when he keeps taking schools from all over the place. The Sun Belt is the most patched together conference around. It just seems like Benson is setting this conference up to fail.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
I just don't like this hodge-podge construction that Benson is putting together.

Adding fb only schools, not in the footprint, instead of full members. Adding soccer only schools, not in the footprint, instead of full members. Adding another non fb school not that long ago.

Now, because of how he set the footprint....he says...we need, not the best institution, but some school in the east.

I just don't get how Benson can talk about balancing the conference when he keeps taking schools from all over the place. The Sun Belt is the most patched together conference around. It just seems like Benson is setting this conference up to fail.

Men's soccer doesn't matter, most mid major conferences try to sponsor some random sports in order to boost their status, for example CUSA as 14 affiliate members (including UT and other Big12/SEC schools) for sports like men's soccer and women's rowing.

As for your general statement I can't disagree more, please tell me what you disagree with specifically.

ULL, ULM, UALR, ArkSt, USA, and Troy were already here and UNT, FAU, FIU, MTSU, and WKU all left...nothing he can do about those.

He readded former members GA St (in the Atlanta market) as a full member. Yes/No?

He added Texas State (located between the Austin/SanAntonio market) as an attempt to retain the Texas market after UNT's departure. Yes/No?

He added 2 of the best FCS teams in GA Southern and App St all of which were in the footprint. Yes/No?

He added non-fb UT-Arlington, a large school in the DFW market that the conference had in its footprint with UNT which also help offset UALR's non-fb which obviously has the support of the fb schools in order to pass, and was the best nonfb school in the Southwest for the SBC to add. Yes/No?

He also readded Idaho and NMSU as fb onlys as this allowed the SBC to host a CCG w/o adding more FCS upgrades as half of the conference would have been (USA, TxSt, GaSt, GaSo, AppSt). Yes/No?

Most likely it was just those last two which all was based around keep UALR which the majority of the schools must have wanted.

As for the Sun Belt being the most patched together conference, that is just false. Take CUSA for example which streches from El Paso, TX to the Virginias in all sport members (which would be about the same footprint as the SBC if they add JMU or Liberty) but they also have affiliate members out in California (which is also similar to the SBC). You don't count those schools where they only play 4 games years as part of their "footprint".

The SBC's schools are based in two very distinct footprints TX/Ark/LA and AL/GA+NC

At a glance App St looks out of place but its on the far East side of the state near the TN border. A school in SC/TN would be best to tie them in but it doesn't look like that will happen, and even if it doesn't App St is worth the exception to the rule.

I'm not a Benson fan but I'm not sure how you can blame him for the SBC (other than the haphazard way the search has gone). The Western schools don't want any ULL/ULM/ArkSt to be shifted to the East, that blocks any full memberslike NMSU, Missouri St, Lamar or SHSU. All the schools want the $ from a CCG.

The lack of a quality Eastern team in their footprint sucks but it hard to avoid, but still its not Benson's fault that the field has shaken out this way.

Adding Idaho/NMSU while at first seemed like Benson throwing them a lifeline was really a win/win situation for everyone invovled (except NMSU's nonfb sports) the only way it could bite the SBC is if they tied themselves to those schools long term (which I doubt due to the length of time it took them to make that move I'm sure they thought it out fully).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:56 pm 
Senior
Senior

Benson was in charge while all those schools decided to move on. He couldn't keep any of them from heading out...which says to me...that the SBC doesn't really have much holding power. So, if another round of realignment, does happen...then the SBC will fall pray again. Without any other recourse than to have more schools than necessary to keep a CCG going. And he doesn't even have enough to get the CCG off the ground. Yes, I hold him responsible for this lack of foresight.

I am not against the additions that have been made...other than not getting NMSU as a full member. I do feel that he could have added more schools last year...to finalize this process, though.

I don't feel that the number of schools that have declined an invite to the SBC or have declined even being looked at....says good things about the SBC. And isn't the Commissioner responsible for that, as well. The schools I can remember that have said no: Fla A&M, Mo State, UT Chatt., JMU?, Illinois State.

Throwing Idaho and NMSU a lifeline. I'm not against that either. But, why not lock NMSU in for the long haul? A full member is much better than an affiliate when building a conference, no? And NMSU has a long history in DI athletics, which I see as a positive for a young conference.

Since fb is the big money maker...I am a bit curious as to what is going to happen with UALR and UTA. Are two schools that don't play fb the limit. Will we see more? Will there be less, soon? If two are good...is four better? What's the deal? Also, the schools that were added for soccer.....were any of them good enough to be a member? Or are they one sport wonders...just good enough to be an affiliate only? Trying to figure out the direction the conference is attempting to head??

Patched together.
CUSA are all longtime FBS programs(barring ODU and UNCC, which have been really good at DI hoops for years). None of the CUSA schools are fb only members. CUSA schools states all touch each other(states connecting from VA down to TX) for the majority of schools.

SBC schools...large percentage are new to FBS. Many schools in the SBC don't play major sports in this conference, if at all. NMSU and Idaho, as well as, soccer affiliates(3 of 6) are all on the edges of the conference. There are some big gaps in the continuity of the conference allignment.
So, there are some differences between the two conferences. And the way each conference will proceed should be different, as well. The SBC needs stability. CUSA already has stability built in.

There are soccer programs in Texas and other States. Why go up to NY for a DIII program?

It just seems to me that things are happening very haphazardly. And what happens to the Tx/La/Ark block when ULL or Ark State leaves? Or if ULM doesn't have enough money to continue at its current level?

Y'all don't find anything wrong with what's happening in the Sun Belt or the direction it's heading? Maybe, direction it's heading isn't the right term? How about, time it's taking to get things completed?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1313 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 88  Next