NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

Looking more and more like UAB will not be staying in C-USA.
http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/ ... inal.html/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:27 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hibbett2222 wrote:
Looking more and more like UAB will not be staying in C-USA.
http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2015/ ... inal.html/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This really isn't huge, ground breaking news for the sunbelt yet, not until they start formally discussing replacements. C-USA might wait a year to do that hoping that UAB will reinstate the program.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 11:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette with comments from UL AD regarding probable league expansion talk at this week's SBC meetings at http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... s/27464655

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:44 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Lafayette with comments from UL AD regarding probable league expansion talk at this week's SBC meetings at http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... s/27464655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great article; here are my thoughts--not a ton of new information but certainly some interesting tidbits. It sounds like the SBC isn't keen on any of the FCS schools that want in. I'm a little surprised that they are interested in UAB considering that if they got them they likely would never play football again. I'm also a little surprised that their are voices out there supporting NMSU for full membership. Adding NMSU as a full member would wreck the division alignment making the league West-heavy and it also doesn't solve the 12th football school issue. Then again, it sounds like if deregulation passes the SBC is going to stage a game no matter how many schools they have.

Here's my really random thought for this post--I wonder in any of the other UNC campuses would be interested in FBS football like Charlotte was. UNC Wilmington or UNC Greensboro could start a program and be part of the SBC.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Lafayette with comments from UL AD regarding probable league expansion talk at this week's SBC meetings at http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... s/27464655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great article; here are my thoughts--not a ton of new information but certainly some interesting tidbits. It sounds like the SBC isn't keen on any of the FCS schools that want in. I'm a little surprised that they are interested in UAB considering that if they got them they likely would never play football again. I'm also a little surprised that their are voices out there supporting NMSU for full membership. Adding NMSU as a full member would wreck the division alignment making the league West-heavy and it also doesn't solve the 12th football school issue. Then again, it sounds like if deregulation passes the SBC is going to stage a game no matter how many schools they have.

Here's my really random thought for this post--I wonder in any of the other UNC campuses would be interested in FBS football like Charlotte was. UNC Wilmington or UNC Greensboro could start a program and be part of the SBC.

I also read the article too, which I also find it interesting. Although no new info was brought up yet, there were possible speculations or guesses for what the SBC needs to do. According to Mr. Farmer, he said that needing a 12th school is important, which is strongly ideal. But at the same time, he also wouldn't mind if deregulation might occur for conferences under 12 teams to sponsor a CCG. However, I think that the SBC would STILL need to make divisions for 'geographic' purposes. So far, we have the following format on how the SBC would look like in division play.

SBC East - Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St., South Alabama, Troy
SBC West - ULL, ULM, Arkansas St., Texas St.; New Mexico St., Idaho <fb-only>; UALR, UTA <non-fb>

But let's make things with a twist. Let's say that NMSU would be the next 12th school for all sports. You're right. It would NOT solve the issue on having 12 fb-playing schools. But adding UAB (assuming that C-USA would remove them out) would benefit the SBC, because if UAB plans to re-instate fb. after being invited into the SBC, it will guarantee the conference to have fair division play in both football and basketball, with the difference being that there will be 12 fb-playing schools & 13 bb-playing schools (11 of those apply on both perspectives)

SBC East - Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St., South Alabama, Troy; UAB
SBC West - ULL, ULM, Arkansas St., Texas St., New Mexico St.; Idaho <fb-only>; UALR, UTA <non-fb>

On the other hand, I do like your thought of an idea to see if the other UNC campuses (Asheville, Greensboro, Wilmington) would have interest to boost into the FBS levels like UNC-Charlotte did. Speaking of that topic, UTA did PART of that transition when joining the WAC for one season after leaving the Southland & the FCS. However, the Mavericks have yet made any acquisitions in regards to keep the movement alive which was dated back in 2011 or 2012. I know it would take tons of money for finance & facilities to upgrade (either Mavericks Stadium, a soccer-spekked stadium now, should someday be expandable or the Rangers Ballpark of Arlington). It's been 3 years since that announcement. UTA should be competing in football by now, but they aren't yet for some reason. Benson should know about this by now.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I wouldn't doubt some programs are done with dealing with JMU, but I have to believe they'll approach them again if others don't emerge. The UL-'s seem stuck, though. With LaTech and Tulane above them, I doubt either L or M have many options if the conference decides to dip back into the FCS pot.

SBC will definitely take football-less UAB if they get kicked out of CUSA. If that's enough to close the matter, consider it a tidy ending.

Does anyone think CoA stops any of the prospective FCS programs from approaching some of these conferences? To hear the chatter, it doesn't sound like EKU, MoSt, Liberty, and maybe JMU are phased any.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:51 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I wouldn't doubt some programs are done with dealing with JMU, but I have to believe they'll approach them again if others don't emerge. The UL-'s seem stuck, though. With LaTech and Tulane above them, I doubt either L or M have many options if the conference decides to dip back into the FCS pot.

SBC will definitely take football-less UAB if they get kicked out of CUSA. If that's enough to close the matter, consider it a tidy ending.

Does anyone think CoA stops any of the prospective FCS programs from approaching some of these conferences? To hear the chatter, it doesn't sound like EKU, MoSt, Liberty, and maybe JMU are phased any.

Honestly, I think the schools who are determined to play FBS football are going to find away to make the accounting work if the Sunbelt or any other conference wants them to move up.

On the other hand, it will be interesting to see if CoA causes some of the poorest FBS programs to move down. Some of the weaker MAC programs probably can't keep pace.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

When it comes to the CoA, don't look for this to send any FBS back to FCS. Most of the G05 conferences 3 of 5 for sure are not requiring their universities to offer CoA. The bottom feeders in the MAC, SUN BELT, and MW won't offer it and it won't cause really any issues because these schools aren't winning programs now anyway. So they will be more then happy to just keep the status quo beat up on each other and FCS schools and try and get to 6-6 and get a bowl game. While making money from the CFP money deal and money games.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 9:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Lafayette with update on this week's SBC meetings and "possibility" that league expansion is on hold pending the outcome of UAB FB decision early next month.Link at http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... b/27625221

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:25 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Lafayette with update on this week's SBC meetings and "possibility" that league expansion is on hold pending the outcome of UAB FB decision early next month.Link at http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/spor ... b/27625221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Based on the article it looks like UAB has a standing invitation to come to the Sunbelt if C-USA boots them and they are unable to reach a deal with the MVC. NMSU for all sports looks like the back up plan for the moment. The article was strangely mum on UMass as a football affiliate though. I would think that adding UMass for football would make sense as the conference would still need a 12th school for a title game.

I also have heard murmurings that some in the SBC would like to dump Idaho. Adding MNSU for all sports, while leading to uneven divisions for Olympic sports would give them 2 5-team divisions in football if deregulation does indeed pass.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 1:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

Ok, first off lets remember that this is just one AD's opinion and doesn't speak for the majority of the conference. One thing we can take from this article is that the SBC is staying mum on who they will invite. I believe they have a plan A,B, and C. Yes if UAB is available then they would be the first option but there is no guarantee that UAB would go to the SBC. Also yes NMSU is pushing to get into the Sun Belt for all sports but I don't think that this is Plan B. While ULL is ok with NMSU being in for all sports I don't believe that many, (if any) of the Eastern schools would vote for it. Remember that the open spot is in the East currently. So adding NMSU doesn't fill that void it only splits a state like Louisiana or Arkansas up. Also there are many good Non-football playing schools in the East to choose from. The A-Sun is falling apart and I am sure that any of their schools would be willing to jump ship. FGCU sound familiar? Or even UNF (winners of the A-Sun this year and located in Jacksonville). Would not rule out UNCG or Belmont either. As for the UMass add. I don't think the Conference is looking at all at adding a football playing member. With Deregulation almost a given there is no need to split the money up any more then you have to. SBC only needs a non-football playing member to balance out travel in the east.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1616 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108