NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:28 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

So Benson is finally talking expansion and using the names of the schools. My preference would be Coastal Carolina because I think that school has more growth potential but they do need to improve their facilities--their basketball gym is tiny. There are currently no Group of 5 schools in the state so instate recruiting should be good for them if they make they jump.

I'm curious as to how NMSU and Idaho fit into future plans. Do they just stick around as placeholders for UTA & UALR? The western members can't be thrilled about the new conference geography and having both outliers in their division. I think dumping Idaho is a must. They are never going to contribute to the league--they just fill up a spot in a 12 team model.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The SBC doesn't need a school(Coastal Carolina) that far on the east coast. The heart of the conference is between Alabama and Texas. Why does Karl keep adding schools outside the footprint?

The eastern part of the SBC has 5 all sports schools in it currently. The west only has 4 all sports members. Therefor, it's the west that needs help...not the east. Fix the problems in the west first.

It wouldn't make sense to add a school outside of the current grouping...when they have so many issues unsolved within the conference.

And to be honest...there are many schools out there...with better records than CCU. So, what exactly is the conference looking for? A school in the right geographic area. Or, a competitive school athletically. Or, just a body to fill the last spot?
Because, with CCU or EKU....they would only be getting a body to fill a spot. Neither of these schools have any recruiting base, they aren't competitive in most sports over the long haul, and they don't bring in large geographic markets or the amenities that go with them.

I just don't get why Karl is constantly trying to expand the footprint to one side or the other??
Karl, in my opinion, is a complete dumb ass. He ruined the WAC. Then after he left...his ideas have totally handcuffed the SBC. He lacks the foresight to make a good move in a timely manor and has stagnated a whole conference with his useless actions of adding affiliates, and wasting time putting a half-assed soccer group together. While at the same time...totally ignoring the health of the entire conference.
I like the schools in the conference....I just don't like Karl.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't doubt Coastal would approach the Sun Belt, as they've been pounding on SoCon's and CAA's doors for a few years now. It's just difficult to take their candidacy seriously when the facilities simply aren't there yet. They seem years away from anything beyond FCS.

Sun Belt's a good way to get into the FBS game, but it's concerning me schools are trying to jump there because other conferences just ahead of these others won't give them a sniff. And Big South seems to be that collective now with both Coastal and Liberty itching to move. You also have northern football programs parking there because of the gridlock up in the NEC, Patriot, and CAAF, ala Monmouth and Stony Brook. And what's Kennesaw State up to?

I'm wondering if there's something EKU is finding they can't do, and is motivating them to look. Did they have eyes on the Horizon and MVFC, or SoCon? Frustrated that NKU went straight up to Horizon like that and see the issues having a football program creates for affiliation choices?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:10 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I don't doubt Coastal would approach the Sun Belt, as they've been pounding on SoCon's and CAA's doors for a few years now. It's just difficult to take their candidacy seriously when the facilities simply aren't there yet. They seem years away from anything beyond FCS.

Sun Belt's a good way to get into the FBS game, but it's concerning me schools are trying to jump there because other conferences just ahead of these others won't give them a sniff. And Big South seems to be that collective now with both Coastal and Liberty itching to move. You also have northern football programs parking there because of the gridlock up in the NEC, Patriot, and CAAF, ala Monmouth and Stony Brook. And what's Kennesaw State up to?

I'm wondering if there's something EKU is finding they can't do, and is motivating them to look. Did they have eyes on the Horizon and MVFC, or SoCon? Frustrated that NKU went straight up to Horizon like that and see the issues having a football program creates for affiliation choices?

If CCU is as unprepared as we think for such a long jump up to the SBC....then, why is Karl hinting at them being a candidate? It makes no sense for the conference to be looking at such an underqualified school that is outside the current footprint. Why would he even waste time mentioning them when there are huge gaps in the center of the SBC footprint?? Is he not planning on adding CCU until they are fully prepared....like in five years or something?

Shouldn't the conference be chasing better sized fish for all sports? Like: UT Chatt., Tenn State, Southern, Mo State, Sam Houston, NMSU, or Lamar.
Or, if winning in fb is the only requirement: NDSU, Sam Houston, Jville State, Illinois State, or EKU.
Or, if markets and recruiting(tex, tenn, fla) are the only requirement: Sam Houston, Lamar, JacksonvilleU(non fb), Belmont(non fb), N. Florida(non fb), Tenn St, or UT Chatt.

Something has got to give, with the SBC. There are just way too many hurdles laying in their way...and the conference isn't doing anything about reducing their future obstacles. If they chose a direction with the non fb schools...it would narrow the possibilities for the conference. And allow them to start shaping their future.

What is their master plan?
Should they dump the non-fb schools or add two more to even out the distribution and add markets for tv dollars?
Will they desire to get to 12 members for a CCG or, will they try for a CCG without 12 in fb? Or, will they forget about a CCG and go without, altogether?
What will they do with the two fb affiliates?
Will they finally settle their journey for members...only to get poached again, and have to reset their whole agenda?

The huge gaps in the footprint along with no decision regarding the future of the non-fb schools, and the affiliates....is making the conference look totally weak and directionless. Isn't it the purpose of the commissioner to help point a direction for the conference? Where is the leadership?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:16 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not sure this delay is totally due to Benson.

Some of the college presidents might be taking a wait-and-see approach, with regard to what is happeneing above them.

All sort of planning and creating a rational nice geographically tight conference could have been un-done by the UAB fiasco.

The Big XII keeps making rumblings. If something were to happen, they would likely steal from that AAC, who would take from CUSA, who would replace from the Sun-Belt.

So there is not intense pressure to rush to do anything.

I would thing a safe move might be to invite NMSU for all sports. They are not an outlier to the extent Idaho is.
It's not a big deal for Idaho to be a FB-only affiliate, although admittedly you won't get any away team crowds at those 8 games.
Long term Idaho should go back to Fcs and play in the Big Sky.
However both schools were in the Sun-belt back in 2003.
Don't believe ESPN will be offering big bucks for Sun-Belt CCG, but still, eventually they shoud add a 12th FB team.

I think EKU fits nicely into their group, when EKU is ready to go FBS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
I think EKU fits nicely into their group, when EKU is ready to go FBS.

They're upgrading Roy Kidd Stadium for a thrifty $15m, but it looks like it will hardly slip by the suggested FBS minimum of 20-25K.

Yet, they were a bit too far off for consideration only a year ago?

They really want to go...not sure that's the kind of coin and upgrades they need to make? Barest minimum?

Quote:
If CCU is as unprepared as we think for such a long jump up to the SBC....then, why is Karl hinting at them being a candidate? It makes no sense for the conference to be looking at such an underqualified school that is outside the current footprint. Why would he even waste time mentioning them when there are huge gaps in the center of the SBC footprint?? Is he not planning on adding CCU until they are fully prepared....like in five years or something?

I don't know...maybe Coastal's got money and can fast-track any projects to get them ready in 2-3 years? Still, all of that takes time.

All this discussion about possible candidates also raises questions about the space for them at the FBS level. Coastal came from nowhere to come into possible consideration, but they're joining the heap of JMU, MoST, EKU, and Liberty all watching the landscape. You have those quiet ones, like Illinois State, Delaware, and others who've studied the move but remain silent. Now, eyes turn to Stony Brook, who might be doing some work of their own. Not all of these programs will upgrade, but the supply outweighs the demand at the FBS level for upgrades...somebody's not moving on.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:52 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I know it doesn't pay any better for the schools...but, I think the SBC could handle having extra schools past the payout number of 12.
The two extra schools would help add some stability when there is change on the horizon. Plus, they would add markets and theoretically, fill in the footprint better.
The CCG, if they ever decide that it is profitable to have one, would also be insulated by having extra schools in the conference. The SBC would never have to rush to find a replacement, as long as that never included not loosing more than three schools at once.

The SBC still has a long grocery list of issues to fix. I keep wondering which of their solutions will fix more than one problem at a time? Or, better yet...not create future problems.

I just hope that someone doesn't leave the SBC for better hunting...and throw Karl off his game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1657 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111