NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

After reading this part: The Sun Belt has no current plans to add a 12th football-playing member in time for the 2015 season. In my opinion, I believe that needing a 12th football-playing member DOES indeed matter as a factor for a conference to sponsor a CCG, and they must do it right between after the CFP title game and the end of the CWS (College World Series). Plus, that football-playing member should be athletically competitive in its other sports (like basketball, which would put division play). So why stalling on that SBC staff/crew?

However, if either the Sun Belt and the Big XII do indeed get what they want (which is changing the CCG requirements), then why not setting up division play as well? In a 10-team league like the Big XII, they should follow up the SWAC gameplan; which has 2 divisions, plus everyone faces everyone in round-robin mode. But in an 11-team league like the Sun Belt, it would be what the Big TEN was in a schedule format perspective, only one team would miss facing 2 of the other 10 members, which is not ideal in my opinion.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If the SBC were to do a title game with just 11 schools I'd say divide as such:

East: App St, GA St, GA Southern, Troy, USA
West: ULL, ULM, Ark St, Texas St, MNSU

Idaho, as the geographic odd ball and an affiliate member, switches divisions each year for scheduling and alignment purposes thus assuring no group is permanently in the smaller division with a better shot at making the title. Also, the Western schools aren't permanently burdened with having a trip to Moscow every other year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:14 am 
Senior
Senior

I wouldn't read to much into the not going to add a new member by the 2015 season. We all kind of figured that would be the case back in July. The only way the SBC could add a school for the 2015 season would be to pick up like a already established FBS school like Umass or so. If there was going to be a FCS call up it would have been in July due to the 2 year transition. So I look for them to possibly look at expansion in July if there NCAA doesn't grant the CCG rule change. If they do, the SBC might not expand for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:51 pm 
Senior
Senior

The SBC needs to get off its collective backside and invite teams to get to 14. This will ensure that even in a raid, the SBC still has 12 and will still have a CCG.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
The SBC needs to get off its collective backside and invite teams to get to 14. This will ensure that even in a raid, the SBC still has 12 and will still have a CCG.

Totally agree. And like I said, needing a 12-th football-playing member (also athletically competitive for all other sports as well) as the minimum indeed matters as a factor to sponsor a CCG, not 11 nor 10; as the Big XII wants to hope getting the CCG sponsorship rules changed within NCAA D-I FBS football. If it's 2 more members to add on after 12 (like upto 14), even better, in case the SBC loses 2 to C-USA. And with all of the candidate schools we've mentioned in this realignment thread so far, I wonder which one or a few of them would step up to enter the FBS ranks either for 2015 or 2016. What if schools like ULL & Arkansas St. decide to jump-shift to C-USA for next season without notice; just like W. Kentucky did in early 2013 after the joining of Ga. Southern & Appalachian St. for all sports plus Idaho & N. Mex. St. returning as fb-affiliates (with NMSU as a former full member of the SBC), causing it to have a secured 12-team league go up in smoke? We might not know for sure, but we might assume since they're the top 2 teams of the conference until the 2013 season. All I have to say at this moment is that let's hope what Commissioner Benson is doing is for the better of the conference, its member schools and its fans. He, along with the conference's member schools' staff members, etc., still has enough time to analyze until the end of the academic season.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:29 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The thing we have to remember here is that Karl Benson is the Sunbelt Commissioner. As fans from the old WAC can attest, Karl is incapable of producing anything that is either innovative or proactive. Karl had years to plan and prepare for the MWC's raid on the WAC and yet he did nothing. Benson knew that conference title games were becoming all the rage and that the MWC could come and take 3 of his 9 schools so that they could get to 12. He should have been shopping for more schools as early as 2005 when they grabbed Utah St, NMSU, and Idaho. He had 5 years between 2005 and 2010 that he could have been seeking new members to stabilize the conference.

As we all know, the MWC didn't just take 3 of his 9; they eventually took 6. LA Tech finally got the C-USA invite they had been waiting for and the replacement schools he grabbed in Texas left too. His grand plan to save the conference was becoming a hybrid league and we are all seeing how well that has worked out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:33 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have to defend Benson at this point with the SBC. Benson has been trying to get the other schools to expand and invite a 12th school. If it was up to Benson one would have already been invited. But some of the other long time members (ULL is #1) is bucking the addition. ULL is also bucking the importance of a CCG. Their AD was interviewed last week and stated that they (ULL) would need to see if it would be profitable before adding a CCG. Really! Profitable, anytime you can get more TV exposure it is going to be profitable! I know Benson had issues in the WAC, but so far you can't blame him for not having a 12th team or a CCG yet, it is the schools that haven't agreed yet. Benson has done a lot for the SBC since he came in. As stated before the bowl games have doubled from 2 to 4 by 2015 season the TV deal has expanded (yes still not all that great, but every teams home games were on one of the ESPN platforms this season). Also unlike the WAC there are schools interested in the SBC (Liberty, EKU, UMass FB only).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hibbett2222 wrote:
I have to defend Benson at this point with the SBC. Benson has been trying to get the other schools to expand and invite a 12th school. If it was up to Benson one would have already been invited. But some of the other long time members (ULL is #1) is bucking the addition. ULL is also bucking the importance of a CCG. Their AD was interviewed last week and stated that they (ULL) would need to see if it would be profitable before adding a CCG. Really! Profitable, anytime you can get more TV exposure it is going to be profitable! I know Benson had issues in the WAC, but so far you can't blame him for not having a 12th team or a CCG yet, it is the schools that haven't agreed yet. Benson has done a lot for the SBC since he came in. As stated before the bowl games have doubled from 2 to 4 by 2015 season the TV deal has expanded (yes still not all that great, but every teams home games were on one of the ESPN platforms this season). Also unlike the WAC there are schools interested in the SBC (Liberty, EKU, UMass FB only).

I suppose Benson didn't expect James Madison to turn him down. That would have been his 12th school for all-sports as well as football. He probably thought he could just substitute Liberty but then found that some of the presidents were opposed to a religious school in their midst, even a rich one. As for ULL's AD's comments I wonder if his haughtiness comes from the fact that he thinks his school is going to C-USA and thus there's no need to build for the Sunbelt's future.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

I believe the SBC is waiting on the NCAA decision on the CCG question from the B12 before adding schools. The reason for this might be too simple: If the B12 adds 2, then the trickle down philosophy happens and 2 more schools depart the SBC for CUSA. The question would be which two. This would mean that the SBC would have to add 3 schools to get to a CCG. Maybe even 4 if the UAB closing football situation actually comes to fruition and CUSA has to replace them.
This makes sense then for the SBC to adopt a 'wait and see' approach. However, I am more proactive and would add schools before the 'must add' situation develops. I can see that for the SBC this would be a difficult item to address - as they might add schools to one division, then take a brutal loss in the other that may not be easy to replace.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1479 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 95, 96, 97, 98, 99