NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I never thought of Coastal as a candidate for the SBC, but it would make sense them having the conversation about viability because they can't get the proper support for SoCon (or CAA). I know they need a new basketball arena...the one they have is a high school gym. I kind of think that's why they aren't getting the love from SoCon and others...facilities beyond football.

UTC as a serious candidate? I don't know about that...they were eying up OVC, which was filled with smaller TN system schools that would have made travel a lot easier. I think they could be happy enough in SoCon were it further raided, as I think SoCon could still swipe a few out of OVC.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:02 am 
Senior
Senior

The Sunbelt should sign UMass to the same MAC contract for FB only and 4 BB games a year until they can justify a viable candidate for the 12th member for the Championship Game that Benson wants. By end of the 4 years the Sunbelt might find they like the NE exposure with UMass or UMass may finally land the AAC all sports bid they are hoping for to play teams like Temple, UConn, and Navy in their region of the country annually for FB. Its a win - win situation for both entities on a short term basis until college realignment sorts itself out again.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

carolinaknights wrote:
The Sunbelt should sign UMass to the same MAC contract for FB only and 4 BB games a year until they can justify a viable candidate for the 12th member for the Championship Game that Benson wants. By end of the 4 years the Sunbelt might find they like the NE exposure with UMass or UMass may finally land the AAC all sports bid they are hoping for to play teams like Temple, UConn, and Navy in their region of the country annually for FB. Its a win - win situation for both entities on a short term basis until college realignment sorts itself out again.

This would be a good solution....IF, the conference hadn't gone against their earlier desires for a 12th fb member. But, unfortunately....they changed their minds...and no longer are looking for a 12th fb member.
Why did they chose to go this route.....I have no clue.
Seems like they just wasted a lot of effort and time going after the final member. Just to throw the plan out the window a few months later. To me....this whole expansion process that Benson attempted makes the SBC look very weak and hopeless. If they weren't going to 12 members...then why add Idaho? Idaho doesn't bring much of anything to the table especially when they only sponsor one sport in the conference. I also don't know if Georgia Southern was worthy of a bid at this time, if the conference wasn't going to get to 12.

It's my feeling that Benson is a moron. I hope that opinion of doesn't offend anyone except the person meant to be offended...Benson.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the call-off of twelve is just to get JMU once and for all, I don't know if there's full vacancy in Benson's head. JMU runs a pretty sizable athletic department given their size. I don't know if JMU can "go back" on FCS if the divide between the FCS and FBS levels grows further apart. "Do or die" is on JMU, not the SBC...and maybe the SBC can wait them out, because until something else happens, "the last spot" is SBC's. So...what do you really want to do, James Madison?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
If the call-off of twelve is just to get JMU once and for all, I don't know if there's full vacancy in Benson's head. JMU runs a pretty sizable athletic department given their size. I don't know if JMU can "go back" on FCS if the divide between the FCS and FBS levels grows further apart. "Do or die" is on JMU, not the SBC...and maybe the SBC can wait them out, because until something else happens, "the last spot" is SBC's. So...what do you really want to do, James Madison?

Don't get me wrong....I like JMU, a lot. I just worry that JMU doesn't like the SBC, a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

JMU would be a real geographic "outlier" in the Sun-Belt (with all those Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia schools.
Booneville, NC (Appy St) is the only school remotely close.

UMass is even much worse for the Sun-Belt.

HOWEVER, either of these schools (if they are serious about FBS) need a scheduling arrangement for football.

So either school might do well to offer to sign on as a football-only affiliate (JMU could stay in the CAA for Oly sports, UMass could stay in the A-10).
This would give them a football home, and the Sun-Belt could upgrade NMSU to full-member.

So Sun-Belt could have 10 all-sports members (including NMSU), 2 non-FB members (UALR and UTA), and 2 FB affiliates (Idaho and UMass / JMU).
That would seem to work for all concerned. I thought this was where the conf. was headed.
Maybe they are waiting for JMU to get a "reality check" where they come to the realization that "Beggars can't be choosers".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1311 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88