NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:26 pm

Help support by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:09 am 

wbyeager wrote:
The Sun Belt still also has the Little Rock/Texas-Arlington question - it would make sense to bring Missouri State in for football only, but the Sun Belt would rather have them for all sports. If the West can get NMSU as a full member, then that may result in a 12/14 setup with another all-sports addition to replace Idaho.

Back to the UALR/UTA situation, I still think that there might be the chance for the Sun Belt to offer one of the schools or both to add football membership for the league (if either or both of those 2 schools decide to add the sport), plus another addition of an all-sports school on the East side, just in case the SBC would get raided by C-USA in a certain future conference realignment event. With that being said, the following division format would consist of the following:

SBC East: Appalachian St., Georgia Southern, Georgia St., South Alabama, Troy, Coastal Carolina, some East-side school like Eastern Kentucky or UT-Chattanooga or Missouri St. (expanding states like NC, GA, AL & TN or KY or MO)
SBC West: Lousiana-Lafayette, Louisiana-Monroe, Arkansas-Little Rock, Arkansas St., Texas-Arlington, Texas St., New Mexico St. (expanding states like LA, AR, TX, NM)

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2011-12 ACC men's basketball conference tournament champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football regular season champions; 2012, 2013 & 2014 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions; 2015 ACC baseball conference tournament champions!

Last edited by jlog3000 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:43 pm 

I live in St. Louis. Missouri State (Springfield, MO) may be the 2nd biggest D-1 sports program in the state,
yet I really haven't heard a whole lot of rumblings out of there regarding FBS.
the school would seem to fit the SunBelt profile, however they have strong rivalries with the MVC schools.

They did hire Mizzou's successful defensive coordinator Dave Steckel last year as their new head coach.
I wonder if he is under consideration for the Mizzou job, now that Gary Pinkel is hanging it up.
I suppose not - most of the press is centered on the coaches at Houston or Memphis.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:02 pm 

I think that if the goal is a 12 member all sports conference then Little Rock and UTA need to go or start sponsoring the sport. My preference would be for them to play football but if they are then I say give their spots to NMSU as a full member and Lamar or whoever the most prepared Southland school is. That keeps things regional and maintains the 6/6 balance between East and West. NMSU will bring way more to Sunbelt basketball than either of those two.

If Little Rock and UTA aren't going to invest in football then they don't deserve to be in a football presence, especially if their presence bloats the overall conference membership. It would be different if they were perennial basketball powers but they aren't. Take those two, plus UTRGV, A&M CC, New Orleans, UMKC, and Chicago St and you have the makings of a nice, fairly regional conference. They could even try to lure Oral Roberts into the mix as the token dominant basketball school.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1728 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116