NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:33 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:02 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 894
Location: Columbus, OH
46566 wrote:
Gemofthehills wrote:
I agree the SB doesn't have an eastern prospect the majority will agree with accepting.

Dropping idaho or NMSU may create an opportunity to a compromise?


I think NSMU is almost a lock for consideration of full membership in the Sun Belt.About the only time they wouldn't be is if something happened in either the Pac 12(move to 14) or the Big 12(move back to 12 or 14) NMSU might be considered a outside chance of joining the MWC should either of those 2 things should happen.


Commissioner Karl Benson was recently asked point blank if NMSU was under consideration for full membership and his said flat out no with the league's current geography.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 433
Location: Fiskville, Texas
fighting muskie wrote:
46566 wrote:
Gemofthehills wrote:
I agree the SB doesn't have an eastern prospect the majority will agree with accepting.

Dropping idaho or NMSU may create an opportunity to a compromise?


I think NSMU is almost a lock for consideration of full membership in the Sun Belt.About the only time they wouldn't be is if something happened in either the Pac 12(move to 14) or the Big 12(move back to 12 or 14) NMSU might be considered a outside chance of joining the MWC should either of those 2 things should happen.


Commissioner Karl Benson was recently asked point blank if NMSU was under consideration for full membership and his said flat out no with the league's current geography.


I agree that the current situation is what is best for both NMSU and the SBC.

It is best for NMSU because they have a clear path to an NCAA bid in the WAC.
It is best for the SBC because the run for the conference champion is decided without having to fight through NMSU. Which improves the odds for any school in the SBC.
So, it is a win/win.

Once the fb CCG gets itself settled....NMSU can join as a full member...and a non-fb school will be asked to move on...as the conference morphs itself into a true fb conference.


I disagree that the reason is geography, like Karl claims. Karl also claimed recently....that he wanted to improve bb in the SBC...and NMSU would obviously do that. So, it seems that Karl will claim just about anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:35 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1251
So, who's got issues with NMSU? You wonder if it's Benson himself.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:03 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 8:05 am
Posts: 732
Location: Louisville, KY
I just don't see the Sun Belt acting on its own to send UALR or UTA packing unless if they get into trouble with the NCAA like UTPA did back in the 1990s. The real question is where would they go? I know UALR looked at the Summit, but UMKC is no longer a member. UTA probably doesn't want to go back to the Southland as it was upset with the additions of the private schools from Division II. Both would be excellent adds to the WAC from s geography standpoint, but the WAC is not the league it once was when UTA joined the first time.


This is not a signature


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:56 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:33 am
Posts: 433
Location: Fiskville, Texas
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
So, who's got issues with NMSU? You wonder if it's Benson himself.


I don't think anyone has issues with NMSU.

Until, the fb CCG games gets worked out....there won't be a reason to ask UTA or UALR to leave.
Once the conference gets that 12th fb school...they won't need extra Oly schools. And at that time...should be asked to move on. I assume they have been given every chance to start fb and therefor stay...in the SBC. But, if they haven't by the time the conference gets to 12...then bye bye.

The Summit League, WAC or A-Sun could be good homes for either of those schools. Especially if UAB is there, as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:55 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 894
Location: Columbus, OH
mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
So, who's got issues with NMSU? You wonder if it's Benson himself.


I don't think anyone has issues with NMSU.

Until, the fb CCG games gets worked out....there won't be a reason to ask UTA or UALR to leave.
Once the conference gets that 12th fb school...they won't need extra Oly schools. And at that time...should be asked to move on. I assume they have been given every chance to start fb and therefor stay...in the SBC. But, if they haven't by the time the conference gets to 12...then bye bye.

The Summit League, WAC or A-Sun could be good homes for either of those schools. Especially if UAB is there, as well.


I think that we won't see UALR and UTA's lack of football be a huge issue that the Sunbelt is talking about publicly until some western FBS schools are truly in a position to move up. If Lamar/S.F. Austin/Sam Houston St/Missouri St get to that point then I think the pressure will be on to play football or move on. If the schools moving up to the Sunbelt are from the Southland they could effectively "trade" the schools in question.

Im also still a fan of a basketball conference anchored by NMSU, New Orleans, A&M Corpus Christi, UTRGV, UTA, and UALR. Maybe since the Southland is kind of oversized they could "loan" them ICU, HBU, and/or ACU for all sports but football--less schools in the Southland means an easier path to post-season tournaments.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:18 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 pm
Posts: 170
Location: Texas
Apparently their is a movement at UTA to bring back football.......
http://www.utafootball.com/

There is even a petition.....
https://www.change.org/p/university-of- ... tball-team

And even though UTA did not restart their program - u. Texas - Permian Basin got permission to start theirs.....
http://www.utsystem.edu/blog/2013/12/12 ... ll-program

Yet, they 'left football up in the air' when joining the WAC......
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/colleg ... nclear.ece


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 

cron




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group