NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:33 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:12 am 
Senior
Senior

What is happening is everyone is trying to advance to as high as a rank as they can. FCS wants FBS, D2 wants D1-aa (FCS) and so on. The reason is due to the fear that eventually the P5 conferences are going to break away and form there own division either in NCAA or apart from NCAA. When and if this happens then the Go5 conference become by default the 2nd level. So all these FCS schools are wanting into the Go5 so they are not left behind in level three. What we have seen is that it doesn't really matter how good a quality of athletic programs you have as much as what media market you are in. TV drives all this expansion. The money associated with it you can not deny. For each level you move up, more exposure and more money your university gets. Look at recent new comers to FBS. Georgia State, UTSA, UNCC, etc. These are start up programs but was picked over past FCS/D1-aa champions due to their media markets. So when we look at the future of expansion, don't look at who is the best candidate based on quality of athletic programs, look at what university is in the best TV market and that will show you who the top choices are for future expansion.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:23 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Once there is separation of the P5 from the G5, I would suspect less shuffle among the G5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:22 am 
Senior
Senior

Well it sounds like the SBC is not seeking a 12th member very aggressively at this point and time. In an interview by radio on Oct 21st, Commissioner Benson stated that "If there was another Georgia Southern out there then we would invite them now, but there's not". So it doesn't sound like Liberty's win over App St did much to change the mindset of the Commissioner. He went on to say that the schedule for next year was already made and that the conference is looking at possibly going to a 9 game schedule in 2016. Also He mentioned that the P5 conferences are looking at changing the rules for a CCG and that 12 teams may not be needed. I am guessing this is being pushed by the Big 12 conference. But also may be for the other P5 conferences as well. If a change was made, and conferences did not have to have divisional play to have a CCG then you could see the best two teams out of the SEC play each other instead of a East / West Matchup.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Correct, the CCG rule is being challenged by the Big 12.

Since they now play a full 9-game round robin, a CCG for them would seem to be totally redundant
(it's not like they have divisions - every team currently plays every other team) -
so this only can be viewed as a money-grab by the Big 12.

SBC expansion is not totally up to Benson's wishes.
He may recommend, but the college presidents are the decision makers,
and there does not appear to be a majority-consensus regarding any one particular expansion candidate.
Liberty would accept an invitation in a hart-beat, but it appears that at least 3 or 4 college presidents (maybe more) are not enamored with Liberty
Maybe somebody like EKU a few years from now.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hibbett2222 wrote:
Well it sounds like the SBC is not seeking a 12th member very aggressively at this point and time. In an interview by radio on Oct 21st, Commissioner Benson stated that "If there was another Georgia Southern out there then we would invite them now, but there's not". So it doesn't sound like Liberty's win over App St did much to change the mindset of the Commissioner. He went on to say that the schedule for next year was already made and that the conference is looking at possibly going to a 9 game schedule in 2016. Also He mentioned that the P5 conferences are looking at changing the rules for a CCG and that 12 teams may not be needed. I am guessing this is being pushed by the Big 12 conference. But also may be for the other P5 conferences as well. If a change was made, and conferences did not have to have divisional play to have a CCG then you could see the best two teams out of the SEC play each other instead of a East / West Matchup.

I'm not sure that going to 9 games is the best idea for the SBC. Half the league would only get 4 home conference games and have trouble finding OOC opponents willing to play at their place. Ultimately it will lead to more games against FCS programs. I think having opportunities to play and beat other Go5 schools is important for the SBC because it would help fight the perception that the league is weak.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 am 
Senior
Senior

In regards to the 9 game schedule I think that is the whole reason for discussing going to 9 game conference schedule. Some of the SBC teams already only play 5 home games a year, Ex. Idaho, ULM, even Georgia Southern (this year). Reason is that they need more money games so they play less home games and more against P5 schools to get money. Going to 9 will not hurt these teams they would get either 5 through conference or 5 including a FCS which all SBC teams already play every year. It actually helps the conference I think. Some of the SBC team have a tough time getting Home and Home series even with other Go5 schools. So add one more conference game, and every other year even it out with a FCS team and you have 5 home games a year. Only have to find one Home and Home series per year instead of two. For some schools like ULL and Ark St, they might even get 7 home games a year this way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:10 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

G5 conferences should limit conference plays to 8 games

what G5 teams need the most is exposure and you don't get this by playing within your conferences
The G5 needs 3-4 non conferences games, preferably with the P5 (we all know appalachian states now!) for exposure, income, and experience
games against other G5 might help some but not really,

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:09 pm 
Senior
Senior

There is a difference between what is needed and what their getting. For instant, many of the SBC lower level teams are not getting Home and Home series against other established Go5 schools. Instead they are getting Home and Home series with (for example UMass). What does UMass bring to the table? Does anyone really think that playing UMass at home would bring in more fans than playing Idaho or Georgia St, or any other bottom school in the SBC? At least with the bottom of the conference it is still a conference game and I feel that more fans would come for a conference game then a OOC game against UMass. For the ones that are getting Home and Home Series against Go5 schools it is against schools like ODU, UNCC, Kent St etc. Yes some schools like ULL and Ark St can get home and home against P5 schools or higher profile Go5 schools like AAC Schools but most can't at this time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:01 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

away and away with pay with P5 is still better than home and away with G5

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Correct, the CCG rule is being challenged by the Big 12.

The CCG rule is being challenge by the ACC, the Big12 has signed on in support of the ACC's challenge but they didn't start nor are they leading the challenge. And in fact the Big12 commissioner has publicly stated that even if they changed the rule, the Big12 wouldn't automatically add a CCG as the conference hasn't voted on it yet and many arent in favor of it (but all agreed that they should see if it's even an option.

The ACC wanted to know about it so they could use dynamic scheduling instead of using permanent division (many think this would be the only way to get NDfb in the conference full time by giving them 3 rivals and rotating their other games annually).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:05 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Ok. I guess I can see the argument for a 9 game conference schedule. It would certainly help out the bottom of the league teams (every other year). There is a slight hiccup though--its impossible to do a 9-game schedule with 11 schools. Each year one school is left with only 8 games. Dumping Idaho would remedy this problem or maybe since Idaho sucks and are lucky to be offered a chance to be in the SBC for football they always are stuck with 8 games.

I think what the Sunbelt really ought to focus on is a better tv contract. Getting some more nationally televised Tuesday and Wednesday night games would be a good start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Orlando with comments from SBC Commish who says his league is still in an expansion "holding pattern" for now.Link at http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... -post.html

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 am 
Senior
Senior

This really is not a shock when you listen to everything that the Commissioner has been saying in interviews recently. While this is the first time He has came out and said it is on "hold" he has hinted about there not being a good option for many months. While I think that it may not be a bad thing to wait and see what happens if the P5 get the NCAA to change the rules for the CCG, the concern I have is in regards to what happens if the Big 12 expands? This is the move that will re-start the expansion roller-coaster. IF the Big 12 doesn't expand then I don't see any more expansion happening during the 12 year CFP deal. (With the exception that the SBC might at some point add one more school). But if they do, and they take 4 teams then it could work it's way to the SBC. SBC will not lose more then two schools if it did get picked, due to C-USA having 14 so if they lost 2 they would still have not reason to expand. But if C-USA loses 4 then SBC could lose two. That may be what SBC has in mind, that they will wait and see either way. If expansion happens and they lose two then they still have 9 and that will be fine. If no expansion of the Big 12 then when and if a 12th team ever develops then great if not, they can wait until after the 4 year deal with Idaho and then release them and have a 10 team conference which is fine as well.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Orlando with comments from SBC Commish who says his league is still in an expansion "holding pattern" for now.Link at http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/c ... -post.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lemme get this straight. I understand that the SBC is pausing on the expansion issue, despite that it's on the works to analyze on finding any possible candidates to become the conference's 12 member with a possible CCG bid plus division play.

However, let's be realists a bit. The 12-team group + the CCG would had happened, if ONLY Western Kentucky hadn't 'jump-shifted' to C-USA SO early; days after new full members Georgia Southern & Appalachian St., and fb-only members Idaho & New Mexico St. were invited to the conference. By that moment, C-USA would still have 12 members for this sason (former SBC schools FIU, FAU & MTSU; Marshall, UAB, & newcomer Old Dominion in the C-USA East; former SBC school North Texas; Southern Miss, UTEP, Rice, UTSA & Louisiana Tech in the C-USA West). WKU could have waited for next season to join C-USA with UNC-Charlotte's football to enter C-USA play, letting the SBC staff to take seriously on finding the WKU replacement to be its 12th member, in order to keep the CCG bid alive and not just a one-hit wonder.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

Yes you are right, the SBC did briefly have 12 teams for about a day. Then WKU announced they were leaving and that threw the whole wrench in the wheel. SBC has not recovered from this. Had JMU accepted the invite then SBC would have been in good shape. I still don't understand why JMU would rather stay in FCS then FBS but they chose to. Yes people say that it is because JMU academics don't alien with the SBC. Well I say "BS" to that. Real reason JMU decided against joining is they want in C-USA with ODU. But C-USA is not going to expand unless they loss 4 teams at some point. Then and only then will JMU get a invite to C-USA and that is if ODU is not one of the team taken by another conference. If ODU somehow got into the AAC then I don't think C-USA invites JMU. If C-USA lost 4 schools more then likely it would be all eastern schools. If it happened to be UNCC, ODU, Marshall, and Middle Tenn. Or change Marshall and Middle Tenn for FAU, FIU then I don't really see C-USA adding more eastern schools. They can add two mid-west, southern schools like ULL, Ark. St. and be more southern and Mid-Western.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1410 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94