NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:30 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:46 pm 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:54 am
Posts: 18
Who would be the five FBS teams in KY?
UK
UL
WKU
EKU
?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:25 pm
Posts: 1654
You have them all.... EKU would potentially be #4.

My opinion (yeah, everyone has one.... I know the joke)
is what will happen (not what various people think SHOULD happen) is the Sun-belt will invite either JSU or EKU for all-sports school #12.

I think both are postiioning themselves to be able to make the move, should the phone ring.
Both have football ready to go. Both are in the proper LOCATION.
Numerous people within the conference have stated the importance of plugging team #12 into the Eastern Division.
They are going to want to make 2 pairs of travel partners out of Troy, South Alabama, Appy State, and team 12 (assuming Georgia St. and Georgia Southern are alrady a pair).

I think Liberty could technically be a fit, but the various college presidents do not want to hear Jerry Fallwell U. jokes in the context of the SunBelt Conference.
So much of what you rad out there is wishful thinking by people associated with teh various schools, but it is NOT commentary from those actually making the decision.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1433
tute79 wrote:
I think Liberty could technically be a fit, but the various college presidents do not want to hear Jerry Fallwell U. jokes in the context of the SunBelt Conference.


Those college presidents could just embrace the Falwell advocated boycott initiated in 1999 of the TV program for toddlers called the Teletubies? Tinkie Winkie would make a grand mascot. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:37 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:41 pm
Posts: 228
James Madison was the intended target and they refuse to come. It is the only opening to move up so they should have taken it at least for football. There is opposition to both Liberty and EKU. Without a viable candidate for now, the Sunbelt should bring in UMASS on a 4 year contract like they have done with Idaho. The look in window for an extension is 2 years to see if the renewal option is offered. Gives UMass a life line while the Sunbelt waits for potential replacement candidates from the FCS to get into a better position to move up. James Madison may reconsider in the meantime too if they can't see any other options down the road. NMST can be offered all sports in the mean time to even up the all sports side of the conference and the conference can start the FB Championship Game they are after. UMass gets a home again and collects conference fees and the $1 million dollar CFB play of money in the Sunbelt while they wait for the call they are seeking from the AAC. Win - win situation for all.

_________________
SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS - SEC
RUTGERS SCARLET KNIGHTS
- BIG EAST / AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE / BIG TEN


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:53 pm
Posts: 333
Gemofthehills wrote:
Who would be the five FBS teams in KY?
UK
UL
WKU
EKU
?

Good catch. However just because I lost my ability to count from 1 to 5 does not mean I am wrong about Lamar. :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:52 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:53 pm
Posts: 333
carolinaknights wrote:
James Madison was the intended target and they refuse to come. It is the only opening to move up so they should have taken it at least for football. There is opposition to both Liberty and EKU. Without a viable candidate for now, the Sunbelt should bring in UMASS on a 4 year contract like they have done with Idaho. The look in window for an extension is 2 years to see if the renewal option is offered. Gives UMass a life line while the Sunbelt waits for potential replacement candidates from the FCS to get into a better position to move up. James Madison may reconsider in the meantime too if they can't see any other options down the road. NMST can be offered all sports in the mean time to even up the all sports side of the conference and the conference can start the FB Championship Game they are after. UMass gets a home again and collects conference fees and the $1 million dollar CFB play of money in the Sunbelt while they wait for the call they are seeking from the AAC. Win - win situation for all.

UMASS has no interest in sending its team way cross country to play SBC schools. Same for SBC going to Boston MA to play. Idaho was added out of necessity. No reason to add UMASS. SBC could stay at 11 before adding UMASS. Or add a team in talent rich SETX and near talent rich Houston.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:50 am 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 23
I have to say, i am tired of people saying that the SBC is the "armpit" or bottom of the FBS. Lets look at what they have done just the past year alone. They finished at the top of the soon to be called (Go5) conferences in money paid by the BCS, they won both of their bowl games, and they had most of their conference finish at 6-6 or better. (Not to bad for a bunch of FCS call ups)! The SBC is staying competitive even without stablity in the conference. That speaks highly of the SBC. Now lets look at what Karl Benson has done thus far. He came in and stated that he wanted to get 4 primary bowl tie-ins. What just happend this week. SBC has announced that it will have its forth bowl tie in (Cure Bowl, NO Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Cam. Bowl) the SBC is also part of the rotation for the Bah. Bowl and Miami Bowl. That means that the SBC more than doubled what it's bowl tie ins will be from last year. Karl has stated that he wants and the SBC needs a 12th team to have a CG and that team will need to be out of the east. With everything that Karl has said thus far happening i can not see any reason why we continue to talk about expansion anywhere other than the east. Liberty is now at the top of the list (like it or not), it is about money and a 12th team gets more TV time which will lead to more money. EKU is the 2nd option if Liberty for some reason doesn't say yes (no going to happen). The only other possiblity is if the SBC votes to throw a life line to Umass and offer Football only, then SBC could look at adding a eastern school for all other sports (like UNCA, UNCG, or Furman) someone close to to App St. to break down the travel. Would be nice if they would offer it to a team like Belmont, but i don't see Belmont leaving to come to the SBC for basketball. (SBC at this point is only a one bid conference). I believe that the mass exiting that has occured over the past few years to the SBC is over. With the new bowl games added and the idea that with 12 teams they get CG and then the new CFP payment of 1million per school up to 12 schools. Why would any school leave to go to C-USA that has 14 teams and accept less CFP money? I feel that once the SBC makes that decision on a 12th member for football and other sports then the conference will be set for a good while.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:53 pm
Posts: 333
hibbett2222 wrote:
I have to say, i am tired of people saying that the SBC is the "armpit" or bottom of the FBS. Lets look at what they have done just the past year alone. They finished at the top of the soon to be called (Go5) conferences in money paid by the BCS, they won both of their bowl games, and they had most of their conference finish at 6-6 or better. (Not to bad for a bunch of FCS call ups)! The SBC is staying competitive even without stablity in the conference. That speaks highly of the SBC. Now lets look at what Karl Benson has done thus far. He came in and stated that he wanted to get 4 primary bowl tie-ins. What just happend this week. SBC has announced that it will have its forth bowl tie in (Cure Bowl, NO Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Cam. Bowl) the SBC is also part of the rotation for the Bah. Bowl and Miami Bowl. That means that the SBC more than doubled what it's bowl tie ins will be from last year. Karl has stated that he wants and the SBC needs a 12th team to have a CG and that team will need to be out of the east. With everything that Karl has said thus far happening i can not see any reason why we continue to talk about expansion anywhere other than the east. Liberty is now at the top of the list (like it or not), it is about money and a 12th team gets more TV time which will lead to more money. EKU is the 2nd option if Liberty for some reason doesn't say yes (no going to happen). The only other possiblity is if the SBC votes to throw a life line to Umass and offer Football only, then SBC could look at adding a eastern school for all other sports (like UNCA, UNCG, or Furman) someone close to to App St. to break down the travel. Would be nice if they would offer it to a team like Belmont, but i don't see Belmont leaving to come to the SBC for basketball. (SBC at this point is only a one bid conference). I believe that the mass exiting that has occured over the past few years to the SBC is over. With the new bowl games added and the idea that with 12 teams they get CG and then the new CFP payment of 1million per school up to 12 schools. Why would any school leave to go to C-USA that has 14 teams and accept less CFP money? I feel that once the SBC makes that decision on a 12th member for football and other sports then the conference will be set for a good while.

No one here thinks sbc is the arm pit. I disagree with Liberty being number 1,then EKU, then umass. Liberty could be number 1, but it is unlikely and sbc would have announced them already. EKU is a no go for this year. Umass is a no.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:23 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1331
hibbett2222 wrote:
I have to say, i am tired of people saying that the SBC is the "armpit" or bottom of the FBS. Lets look at what they have done just the past year alone. They finished at the top of the soon to be called (Go5) conferences in money paid by the BCS, they won both of their bowl games, and they had most of their conference finish at 6-6 or better. (Not to bad for a bunch of FCS call ups)!
No one said they are an armpit nor ahorrible conference, in fact I really like the SBC and think that they have a solid group of schools with similar missions which can make this a real good conference in the long run. But let's not kid ourselves, the SBC got more money from the BCS because they had less teams, let's not act like they did anything better than the MWC/WAC/MAC who all had team in the BCS, nor even CUSA who almost had a couple. They won 2 bowl games, that's great but having a bunch of team finishing at 6-6 means they just beat each other up not that they had a good year. Omitting WKU and future SBC teams, the SBC went 9-16 against non SBC FBS teams and just 5-4 against FCS teams (which they pay them to come and play). Now, all things considered, the SBC had a good year with a few good wins but they are still a small time conference with 4 decent sized market and little to no FBS pedigree nor bball that will have trouble most years filling 4 bowls.
hibbett2222 wrote:
The SBC is staying competitive even without stablity in the conference. That speaks highly of the SBC.
Define competitive. Going just over .500 against FCS teams isn't good, going just over .500 against FBS teams would be good but they were typically against the worst of the other Go5 conference like SoMiss (1-11), UAB (2-10), Kent St (4-8), Akron (5-7), and Wyoming (5-7). I'll give them credit for beating a BCS team even if it was Wake Forest (4-8) and for winning their 2 bowl games Ball St (10-3) and Tulane (7-6). To put it in perspective, the SBC had 2 winning teams (3 if you count WKU), CUSA had 7, the MWC had 6, the MAC had 5, and the AAC had 4.
hibbett2222 wrote:
Now lets look at what Karl Benson has done thus far. He came in and stated that he wanted to get 4 primary bowl tie-ins. What just happend this week. SBC has announced that it will have its forth bowl tie in (Cure Bowl, NO Bowl, GoDaddy Bowl, Cam. Bowl) the SBC is also part of the rotation for the Bah. Bowl and Miami Bowl. That means that the SBC more than doubled what it's bowl tie ins will be from last year.
I agree, I think he had a bad rep from the WAC but he's done a good job so far, just needs the 12th and a TV deal (which he'll probably go after once he officially has the CCG).

hibbett2222 wrote:
Karl has stated that he wants and the SBC needs a 12th team to have a CG and that team will need to be out of the east. With everything that Karl has said thus far happening i can not see any reason why we continue to talk about expansion anywhere other than the east. Liberty is now at the top of the list (like it or not), it is about money and a 12th team gets more TV time which will lead to more money. EKU is the 2nd option if Liberty for some reason doesn't say yes (no going to happen).
I agree.

hibbett2222 wrote:
The only other possiblity is if the SBC votes to throw a life line to Umass and offer Football only, then SBC could look at adding a eastern school for all other sports (like UNCA, UNCG, or Furman) someone close to to App St. to break down the travel. Would be nice if they would offer it to a team like Belmont, but i don't see Belmont leaving to come to the SBC for basketball. (SBC at this point is only a one bid conference).
I think UMass is a real possibility, I just don't know if they could join right away or if the have to finish out their contract with the MAC for 2 more year. If they can get out of it then I think it could be a possibility. Take UMass and a bball school in the East and be done. if Idaho drops to FCS then drop UMass and add add NMSU as a full member and then get a school you really want in the East, because as of right now nobody seems thrilled w/ Liberty or JAX St, and EKU doesn't seem ready, and JMU doesn't return your calls.

But as far a bball only options I think your list is flawed, Furman plays fb so they aren't splitting the fb/bb up, UNCA isn't an option either as they bring nothing. The list would be all quality bball adds, East of the Mississippi, no further North than VA/KY, without scholarship football and not in any other FBS conference nor the Big East/A10. IMO it's just:
Charleston (fills in nicely in the gap between GA/NC)
UNCG (you got this one, nice market really ties in the whole state of NC to the SBC)
FGCU (nice large school in Florida, great for recruiting)
Morehead St (might be streching the geography too much and I think they're comfortable)
Belmont (private school, and the SBC is all public schools, still there bb pedigree and geographic location in the large market of Nashville, TN makes them top candidate).
Jacksonville (same as Belmont but in FL)

hibbett2222 wrote:
I believe that the mass exiting that has occured over the past few years to the SBC is over. With the new bowl games added and the idea that with 12 teams they get CG and then the new CFP payment of 1million per school up to 12 schools. Why would any school leave to go to C-USA that has 14 teams and accept less CFP money? I feel that once the SBC makes that decision on a 12th member for football and other sports then the conference will be set for a good while.

I somewhat agree, I don't see expanding for expansions sake (unless JMU already has an unofficial offer, then ULL/Ark St would be next), but the SBC still has some valueable teams in TX St, ULL, Ark St, and GA St,which could get grabbed up by CUSA to replace any losses to the AAC who gets raided by the Big12 or ACC. Keep in mind the SBC has no substantial TV deal and weak bowl deal with lower payouts so while it is less money from playoffs, its actually more total and the schools are of a higher calibur in bball and most other sports, as well as academics...so there is little no no chance that a school in the SBC turns down an offer from CUSA.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:03 am 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 887
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
The Sun Belt may have led in the so-called "Group of 5" in terms of money or on other categories. However, keep in mind on the fact that the conference STILL has NEVER had a team (since the conference sponsored that sport in 2001) to at least be on the Top 25 standings in the BCS for at least one week or in the final rankings within a particular season within its 12 years of that sport's existence; not even an aspiring BCS Buster hopeful. For instance, if UL-Lafayette hadn't lost their last two conference games this past season, they would have secured a 10-win season and a chance to be on the Top 25 within the BCS standings; then it would be part of the record books as one of the Sun Belt's most successful schools in that sport. But it didn't happen. Also, recently former schools had partial success. For instance, North Texas won the first 4 conference titles (1 of them was shared), Middle Tennessee St. has 2 conference titles (1 of them was shared), but only FAU and FIU had just once conference title each (at least shared). Of the current members so far, only Troy had 5 conference titles (2 of them were shared, and the last 3 straight were outright), while most recently Arkansas State has a 3rd consecutive conference title (4th overall and 2nd shared, including this past season's share with ULL, 1st shared with also ULL and ULM) after their first 2 straight outright titles as well as 10-win seasons (2011 and 2012) and yet the Red Wolves hadn't been considered to be on the final Top 25 BCS standings. Speaking of 10-win seasons, MTSU had one of those within 2009, who also wasn't being considered to be on the Top 25 BCS standings. So my question is this: "How can the member schools within the Sun Belt progress to be Top 25 material for the polls, now with the BCS being thrown out of the window, in favor of the new College Football Playoff format?". Oh, for any of some C-USA expansion hopefuls, how come Troy was not yet considered on the list, just like UL-Lafayette and Arkansas State?

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1060 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 

cron




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group