NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:25 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ctx48c wrote:
Does Texas want BYU?

No

Wasn't it Texas that opened talks with BYU a while back? Texas also plays BYU quite a bit. So, I'm not certain that Texas is the major roadblock. I bet someone knows what's up?

However, I do know...the whole of the PAC 12 doesn't want them. So, if it really is Texas...then they don't seem to be alone.

Big XII

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
ctx48c wrote:
Does Texas want BYU?

No

Wasn't it Texas that opened talks with BYU a while back? Texas also plays BYU quite a bit. So, I'm not certain that Texas is the major roadblock. I bet someone knows what's up?

However, I do know...the whole of the PAC 12 doesn't want them. So, if it really is Texas...then they don't seem to be alone.

Texas wanted BYU prior to adding West Virginia but they wanted special concessions involving TV rights for their network and of course the no Sundays thing.

Currently, the block against BYU is two-fold.

Texas and OU (and there may be more) don't want a CCG, and even if they got over that they don't want to be in separate divisions (which they most likely would if they expand to 12).

Most of the other schools who just received a raise, averaging more than 10 million, don't want to dilute their new income (notice the new/expanded stadiums popping up in Baylor/TCU/K State/ISU) because remember that ESPN is paying the Big12 as if it had 12 members and a CCG already so adding 2 more won't add anything to the conference's income.

The only times schools (not named Texas/OU) want to expand is when they were having a good year and feel that they need the CCG to get into the NCG (OSU, KSU, BU; but that may lessen with the new playoff) or occasionally when they realize that the conference is 1 major raid away from losing is AQ status (BU, TCU, ISU, KSU), or when West Virginia is complaining about travel.

The conference only needs 8 to expand but while they may be able to get the 8 votes I doubt they'd be able to come to an agreement on the divisions (which would be debated prior to expansion) as everyone in old Big12 South would want to keep that alignment (playing UT & OU every year) while Kansas, K State, Iowa State, and West Virginia would fight against being stuck in the weaker division.

No way do they agree on the divisional alignment AND who to expand with.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:55 am 
All-Star
All-Star

NewsOK article discussing BYU conference situation at http://newsok.com/byufans-weigh-in-on-b ... le/4948872

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 pm 
Senior
Senior

Barring a few unfortunate seasons, BYU has been a very consistent team over the last 4 decades including their championship season in 1984. I don't think they'd necessarily be a top team if they were to join a Power 5 conference, but they would definitely compete. The PAC will probably never consider them unless something unexpected occurs, like if they are dead set on 16 and they can only reach that number with the addition of BYU or a lesser program. The XII is definitely the front runner for BYU to a power conference. The AAC wouldn't be a bad place, but they will be at 12 once Navy joins next year. If Navy backs out for some reason, I can see BYU getting a look. I'm not sure the MWC would ever reconsider BYU because it wasn't the most amicable of breakups. Does BYU deserve to be a power program? I would say yes. Will they become one? I'd give them a 35% chance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:53 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

BYU seemed to have a nice strategy going Independent - not sure what to think of things.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

More on BYU's ambitions from last month:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... ree-years/

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Aside from the fact that they aren't included in the clause that allows the highest ranked champion of a Group of 5 league to go to one of the premier New Year's 6 bowl games, BYU is really in an optimal situation. They control their own television revenue, they can schedule as many Power 5 teams as they can get to sign agreements with them, and they can play a national schedule by filling the remaining dates with the best of the MWC and American boosting their overall SOS by ignoring the cellar dwellers. I do see the argument that the coach makes though especially if we see Boise St or whoever wins the MWC getting the Group of 5 bowl slot every single year. That spot could easily be BYU's if they were back in the MWC. Maybe in 3 years we see BYU make a return to the MWC if no Power 5 bid comes there way.

I'm actually kind of surprised that when it became clear that the Big East's old autobid was going away and that there was no hope of the MWC ever getting one but that instead the best of the Group of 5 would get included that they weren't able to form a football only conference designed to always produce a champ that would stand above the rest. UConn, Cincinnati, USF, UCF, ECU, and Navy could have formed the East while Boise St, San Diego St, BYU, Air Force, SMU, and Houston constituted the West. The eastern schools (minus Navy) could have found there way into other leagues like the A-10 or maybe those 5 plus SMU and Houston raid the A-10 and MVC of enough of their elite basketball schools to form a league. The Western schools could have then cherry picked the best non-football schools in their part of the country like Gonzaga and St Mary's to make a sustainable league for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Salt Lake discussing possible BYU FB future at http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34609208

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:54 am 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Salt Lake discussing possible BYU FB future at http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34609208" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For those who didn't/won't read the article...

BYU seems to think they can financially sustain independence for about 3 more seasons. At the end of that time, they would need to join a conference. Unless they find a home in a power conference, they would need to probably get back into the Mountain West. This brings up a couple obvious questions.

1) Would the Mountain West accept BYU back into the conference? I think they would. BYU is a high profile name. Much like Boise St, who left for about 5 minutes to join the Big East/American, BYU would be gladly accepted back.

2) Would the Mountain West play at 13 teams or would they add a 14th? I think for at least 1 season, they would have to play at 13 as they evaluated possible additions. They would take into consideration the $12M split between the teams which would diminish per school with every addition. They would need to really keep an eye on future power conference shifts as BYU, Boise St, Colorado St, and a couple others have been mentioned as expansion candidates for the XII and PAC should the need arise. The Mountain West would also need to see if any current members were considering dropping football (Hawaii? San Jose St?).

If I were BYU and the Mountain West, I would join forces...for now. I would probably go to 14 if, and only if, I could get UTEP.

West: Hawaii, San Diego St, Fresno St, San Jose St, UNLV, Nevada, Boise St
Mountain: Utah St, BYU, Wyoming, Colorado St, Air Force, New Mexico, UTEP

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If BYU goes back to the MWC do they do so as a football affiliate or a full member?

As for #14 I think there are a couple viable options out there. Bringing back UTEP is one route they could go. They could also look at other Texas schools--maybe try to lure Houston or SMU from the American or go with an up-and-comer like UTSA. I think Montana is potentially an option too--they wouldn't abandon Montana St for an unstable WAC but a MWC poised to be the perennial top Group of 5 conference would be hard to refuse if a spot were offered. It's doubtful, but they could take the charity option and admit NMSU or Idaho in order to have a doormat for the league.

I think that in order to get BYU back they are going to have to consent to an unequal revenue sharing plan that rewards the better teams that make more television appearances. The MWC currently ha such a model in place but I don't know that BYU will find it favorable enough for them. The Notre Dame of the West might have to excise more concessions from their old league.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:40 am 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
If BYU goes back to the MWC do they do so as a football affiliate or a full member?

As for #14 I think there are a couple viable options out there. Bringing back UTEP is one route they could go. They could also look at other Texas schools--maybe try to lure Houston or SMU from the American or go with an up-and-comer like UTSA. I think Montana is potentially an option too--they wouldn't abandon Montana St for an unstable WAC but a MWC poised to be the perennial top Group of 5 conference would be hard to refuse if a spot were offered. It's doubtful, but they could take the charity option and admit NMSU or Idaho in order to have a doormat for the league.

I think that in order to get BYU back they are going to have to consent to an unequal revenue sharing plan that rewards the better teams that make more television appearances. The MWC currently ha such a model in place but I don't know that BYU will find it favorable enough for them. The Notre Dame of the West might have to excise more concessions from their old league.

I would think the Mountain West would want them to go all in, and not football-only, because BYU basketball is a regular in the NCAA Tournament which would boost an already usually strong conference with San Diego St, UNLV, New Mexico, Boise St, Wyoming, and Colorado St.This would put the West Coast Conference at 9 full members. They would probably either stay at 9 or add a school like Seattle.

If football independence becomes a financial drain and BYU feels like it must join a conference in 2-3 years, then they aren't in a bargaining position with the Mountain West.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

How about BYU as all sports, and North Dakota State for football only? This allows the MWC to be at 12/14, and avoid sending non-football sports to the Central Time Zone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Provo discussing the various obstacles apparently keeping BYU from joining a power 5 conference at http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/colle ... 36209.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

With BYU obtaining scheduling exceptions from the B1G, ACC and SEC, IF...., BYU goes back to the MWC.....will they lose their P5 exceptions?

Big XII

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
With BYU obtaining scheduling exceptions from the B1G, ACC and SEC, IF...., BYU goes back to the MWC.....will they lose their P5 exceptions?

It's just tough to see reconciliation between BYU and all of those MWC schools, but I suspect that'll be up to the P5ers, and I bet they might back off and renounce/retract the Cougs were they to reenter the MWC.

That whole subject is a legal powder keg. It's convenient for independents and unfavorable for the rest. I think that's why Navy and AFA aren't getting touched, but Army's fine to some.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next