It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:29 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NorwichCat11 wrote:
Okay, on the topic of the SWC -
Since Texas State owns the SWC, lets say they begin building the SWC from among the lower 5 conf schools. Who would you add to make a 12 member conf with Texas State - assuming the schools that you choose are all for joining this conference? (interesting new look? or go for a more traditional regional look?)

TX St, SHSU, SFA, Lamar, ULM, ULL, Ark St, MO St...

That's pretty much it...unlikely CUSA/AAC members would be interested.

Maybe a few non fb schools may be interested in adding FBS fb like...UTA, NOLA, Wichita St, UTRGV, Oral Roberts would sign up but these are all pure speculation.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If there was going to be a rebuilt SWC, and let's assume the American schools aren't interested, I'd go with:

UTSA
Texas St
Rice
North Texas
Arkansas St
LA Tech
UL Lafayette
UL Monroe
Southern Miss
UAB
South Alabama
Troy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

fighting muskie wrote:
If there was going to be a rebuilt SWC, and let's assume the American schools aren't interested, I'd go with:

UTSA
Texas St
Rice
North Texas
Arkansas St
LA Tech
UL Lafayette
UL Monroe
Southern Miss
UAB
South Alabama
Troy

Just a personal thought but I would not add South Alabama or Troy because I think it begins to look like the Sun Belt. I would only keep UAB because it is a "bigger" name and I don't think separating UAB from Southern Miss would be okay. I would add New Mexico St and UTEP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UTEP and NMSU wouldn't be bad teams to go with either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:49 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If, ....CUSA felt that they had too many for one conference...and therefor split into the two divisions to form new 'sister' conferences...here's how it might work? While shooting for conference fb numbers being held to a max of 12 and lowering travel.

The east: FIU, FAU, UAB, Charlotte, ODU, Marshall, WKU, Mid Tenn., S. Mississippi.....decides to add JMU, S. Alabama and Georgia State for football as well as four non fb schools: CoC, FGCU, N. Fla and UNC Wilmington. The non fb schools help connect the footprint and also add basketball revenue to help compete against the ACC.

While the west side of CUSA: La Tech, Rice, N Texas, UTEP, UTSA will add seven fb and four non fb.

Additions are: Louisiana Laf., Ark State, C. Arkansas, Texas State, New Mexico, Air Force and Colorado State....as well as, Wichita State, St Louis, Belmont and UT Arlington for non fb.

Here are how the two conferences would split up into divisions:

East Coast:
North: ODU, JMU, Marshall, W. Ky, M. Tenn, Charlotte, UNC Wilmington and Charleston
South: S. Miss, UAB, S. Alabama, FAU, FIU, Georgia State, N. Florida and Fla Gulf Coast

Southwest:
South: Louisiana Laf, La Tech, C. Ark, Ark State, Rice, Texas State, UT Arlington and Belmont
West: UTSA, UTEP, New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado St., N. Texas, Wichita State, St Louis

The southwest group keeps two schools in most areas...and splits the Texas schools up well enough to share larger markets(Dallas and San Antonio) with both divisions.

Big XII

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
If, ....CUSA felt that they had too many for one conference...and therefor split into the two divisions to form new 'sister' conferences...here's how it might work? While shooting for conference fb numbers being held to a max of 12 and lowering travel.

The east: FIU, FAU, UAB, Charlotte, ODU, Marshall, WKU, Mid Tenn., S. Mississippi.....decides to add JMU, S. Alabama and Georgia State for football as well as four non fb schools: CoC, FGCU, N. Fla and UNC Wilmington. The non fb schools help connect the footprint and also add basketball revenue to help compete against the ACC.

While the west side of CUSA: La Tech, Rice, N Texas, UTEP, UTSA will add seven fb and four non fb.

Additions are: Louisiana Laf., Ark State, C. Arkansas, Texas State, New Mexico, Air Force and Colorado State....as well as, Wichita State, St Louis, Belmont and UT Arlington for non fb.

Here are how the two conferences would split up into divisions:

East Coast:
North: ODU, JMU, Marshall, W. Ky, M. Tenn, Charlotte, UNC Wilmington and Charleston
South: S. Miss, UAB, S. Alabama, FAU, FIU, Georgia State, N. Florida and Fla Gulf Coast

Southwest:
South: Louisiana Laf, La Tech, C. Ark, Ark State, Rice, Texas State, UT Arlington and Belmont
West: UTSA, UTEP, New Mexico, Air Force, Colorado St., N. Texas, Wichita State, St Louis

The southwest group keeps two schools in most areas...and splits the Texas schools up well enough to share larger markets(Dallas and San Antonio) with both divisions.

Mozilla--I like the idea of C-USA expanding and then splitting into two more regional conferences. If this were ever to happen I'm guessing they would only consider football schools. I would take the 9 football playing members of the Sunbelt plus one more (NMSU, JMU?) and then split into two groups of 12 and do it in such a way that one conference inherits the units acquired by C-USA and the other gets the SBC's and then they make a revenue sharing agreement to balance out the dollars and cents.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

My two cents:

The lower level conferences shouldn't ignore the impact of non fb schools. To give a lower level conference an extra leg-up....they need depth. A really easy way to add depth to a fb centric conference...is to add some non-fb schools....that compete or add markets with money, recruiting and tv ratings.

For example...with the CUSA East....my additions were Coc(great bb and baseball), FGCU(recent success in bb), N. Florida(recruiting state) and UNC Wilmington(NC is the home for quality bb).
These schools tie in Florida to the rest of the conference. They also add some really good quality markets to the conference as a whole....Wilmington, Charleston, Jacksonville, and Fort Myers(maybe not so much with FM?). There is a ton of recruiting done in Florida. It also lightens the travel within the conference.

How else can a lower level conference make a move on one of the Big 5 to compete in their mutual footprint? Which turns out to be either the ACC or SEC for this example.
I don't feel that to depend solely on victories against the big boys in fb is the only way to proceed.

If, CUSA is just competing against the lower 5 conferences....then, I still feel that stacking their conference with as much quality as possible is still a solid way to make their mark and jockey for position. The competition for this example would be AAC or SBC. And neither of these two conferences have a total lock on this area or region. Why leave some meat on the bone for someone else to plunder....if, you are the CUSA Commish?

Anyway...I know this is more along the lines of 'fantasy' ...so, no real big chance of any of this happening. But, it's fun to look at, though.

Big XII

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:16 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Let's assume C-USA, having spent a decade with 13 members, splits Big East style near the end of the current CFP contract:

Southwest Conference
Western - UTEP, Rice, UTSA, New Mexico (from MWC), New Mexico State (from SBC), Texas State (from SBC)
Southern - Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, Arkansas State (from SBC), Missouri State (from FCS), Louisiana (from SBC), North Texas

Conference USA
North - Marshall, Old Dominion, WKU, MTSU, James Madison (from FCS), Delaware (from FCS),
South - FAU, FIU, Georgia State (from SBC), Georgia Southern (from SBC), Charlotte (from SBC), App State (from SBC)

The three upgrades from FCS force the Power 5 to expand to keep the majority of the membership in FBS, so the Big 12 invites Cincinnati and Memphis. The Southwest Conference loses its automatic bid if the C-USA 6 do not stay together, so they all refuse the American. The American then invites WKU and MTSU. Troy and South Alabama join C-USA, bumping Charlotte and App State to the North Division. Idaho joins the Mountain West. ULM is left holding the bag, but announces scheduling agreements with UMass, BYU (ULM home games in New Orleans), and Army.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

If the B12 has more future departures with schools such Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas; then the possibility of the Southwest Conference being re-established could grow. Rice and SMU, with the naming rights, would be instrumental in being included. With B12 left-outs in terms of going to other P5 conferences, plus Rice, SMU, and Houston (three former SWC members), plus a few more additions such as Tulane or LA Tech, Tulsa, Arkansas State, Memphis, UTEP, etc.; a solid, largely regional conference could be re-implemented with the necessary change-ups. In that case, the battered B12 could be dissolved in favor of a new structure (and new image for some former B12 schools) using an old name that still retains some favorable nostalgia.

I still think conferences that are contiguous in terms of geography and have basic regional commonality, work best for their sports, particularly the Olympic-style ones. It promotes nearby rivalries for the like-minded. Multiple conferences (G5 types) over similar and general common terrain, i. e. Sunbelt, CUSA, and some in the AAC, for example, could thus better clarify their footprints, minimizing ridiculous stretching and overlapping. Actually, TV intensity could be more concentrated and garner more fan interest, as opposed to being all over the place with little more than casual attraction.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:00 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Thinking about setting up SWC styled B12.....for the specific reason of separating the power and evenly distributing it throughout the conference without having to have a massive footprint.

Big 12
Div A:

Rice
Texas
SMU
Texas Tech
OSU
K-St
Iowa St
Cincy

Div B:

Tulane
Houston
Baylor
TCU
UO
KU
WVU
Navy

Div A has the fb anchors of Texas, Tech, OSU and K-St. With very solid bb in Cincy, ISU, K-St, SMU and Texas.
Div B has UO as their fb anchor followed up by the evenly matched group of WVU, Navy, UofH, TCU and Baylor. Bb is solid with KU, UO, WVU, Navy, and UofH.

Both div's would be evenly distributed with talent and the footprint wouldn't have to expand more than Navy to the east. Both div's also get plenty of access to Texas and all other states in the conference. Both div's get schools in Houston and DFW(every weekend during fb season the conf could have a major team visit Hou and DFW by alternating SMU/TCU and Rice/UofH home dates). Which, is the only way to 'lock down' those markets....that everyone assumes we do already, which we don't....especially when UT is down a bit.

Bb improves by getting 14 division games and not having to play more than 2 or 3 home and home cross division games. Which keeps the conference from having to cannibalize itself.

So, in total...that added the #1, 2, 3, 8, 12, 16th oldest schools in the G5.
Game totals for the schools added 1011, 957, 951, 822, 753, 694.

This should also fix the CCG controversy by having deep fb quality in both divisions.
It kind of resembles the ACC, I feel. Good footprint with plenty of evenly matched schools with rich histories and good educations, some AAU, really deep in bb and moderate numbers of heavy weight fb powers.

Big XII

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

I suggested a similar zippered divisions for the big xii based on annual cross division games
KSU v KU
OU v OSU
TTU v UT
TCU v BU
Call one division east and the other west based on their geography to each other
ISU v WVU's travel partner
BYU v WVU
Rice v Tulane

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:59 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Huan wrote:
I suggested a similar zippered divisions for the big xii based on annual cross division games
KSU v KU
OU v OSU
TTU v UT
TCU v BU
Call one division east and the other west based on their geography to each other
ISU v WVU's travel partner
BYU v WVU
Rice v Tulane

Yeah...a zipper may be required to keep everyone playing in Texas as much as they like.
Your group is a few SWC schools short.

I was hoping that by adding so many old rivals back into a league...and then dividing it evenly would help create some new buzz....without adding someone like BYU and increasing the footprint by double. BYU just doesn't fit with this group. I see no reason to constantly include them at every turn.

Big XII