NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:17 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I'm ignoring you now since you think CUSA is secure because they can have crappy SBC schools and not need the better themselves w/ the MWC school who they are already working with. You think UNM has more in common w/ the Texas schools like UNT and UTSA who you have added to CUSA, that they've never played over schools they've been w/ forever? You're high! I know you're still butt hurt that the SBC is going to raid the WAC and they don't even want you. So save it, you are unimportant just like SJSU. 1 win vs us in 20 years, is your claim to glory that you still have to talk about it because SJSU never does anything worth a damn. BYE

Not sure who is more butt hurt...

Secure does not equal improved. C-USA has tons of options, MWC has about two. They better themselves with UNM, UNLV, ect. But if adding all of them equals losing lots of money they aren't doing it and if you're keeping up that's what's happening.

You tell me does New Mexico have more in common with Texas or with California and Nevada? The only schools left in the MWC from a couple years back will be CSU, Wyoming, and UNLV. So who have they been with forever? Not Fresno. Not Reno. Not Hawaii. Not San Jose, Utah St, and potentially Idaho.

Sorry FSA, you're only looking at this from the western point of view and you continue to think everyone wants to be in a conference with us. They don't. UNM liked the MWC when it had Utah, BYU, SDSU, AFA, UNLV, CSU, and TCU. But that MWC DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE. It's becoming the WAC with a new name and it has shifted West and is going further west.

Idunno FSA, I've been thinking you're the high one. You keep saying Fresno is going to the Big East and every time you write that I laugh out loud. I've never suggested SJSU was anything more than an option for the MWC and have even said I expect Utah State to get in over us and agreed we may have to spend some time as an Indy.

From Quinn's post right obove yours, since you have trouble comprehending English and conference realignment and geography. If you could read, I said if BYU and AFA both turn down the BE invite again then Fresno would go, but of course you'd be even more butt hurt if that happened. Oh wait the east doesn't care about the west so SDSU and Boise St. must not be going to the BE.

Quinn wrote:
As for the MWC, the good thing is that no matter what, the MWC is safe. They have Utah St., SJSU, NMSU, and Idaho in the region that would join if schools left (Air Force). No way 4 schools leave and all 4 needed. And that's if they stay west of Texas. They've got Sunbelt and all the WAC schools to chose from if needed. So no matter the choice on merger type, the MWC is safe.

Quinn, it is likely that Still Just Sucking Unfortunately and USU will get in if the MWC doesn't join CUSA and are just a scheduling agreement. I'm also sure they'll talk about where to put UTEP before doing this and decide if UTEP in the west w/ UNT is better, then maybe SJSU and USU don't go. They may want UTEP in the east. UTEP has said they have no problem going west. They could put UNT in the east and UTEP in the west. Like they said they have a blank canvas(meaning they f'd up and have to start all over)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I'm ignoring you now since you think CUSA is secure because they can have crappy SBC schools and not need the better themselves w/ the MWC school who they are already working with. You think UNM has more in common w/ the Texas schools like UNT and UTSA who you have added to CUSA, that they've never played over schools they've been w/ forever? You're high! I know you're still butt hurt that the SBC is going to raid the WAC and they don't even want you. So save it, you are unimportant just like SJSU. 1 win vs us in 20 years, is your claim to glory that you still have to talk about it because SJSU never does anything worth a damn. BYE

Secure does not equal improved. C-USA has tons of options, MWC has about two. They better themselves with UNM, UNLV, ect. But if adding all of them equals losing lots of money they aren't doing it and if you're keeping up that's what's happening.

You tell me does New Mexico have more in common with Texas or with California and Nevada? The only schools left in the MWC from a couple years back will be CSU, Wyoming, and UNLV. So who have they been with forever? Not Fresno. Not Reno. Not Hawaii. Not San Jose, Utah St, and potentially Idaho.

Sorry FSA, you're only looking at this from the western point of view and you continue to think everyone wants to be in a conference with us. They don't. UNM liked the MWC when it had Utah, BYU, SDSU, AFA, UNLV, CSU, and TCU. But that MWC DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE. It's becoming the WAC with a new name and it has shifted West and is going further west.

Idunno FSA, I've been thinking you're the high one. You keep saying Fresno is going to the Big East and every time you write that I laugh out loud. I've never suggested SJSU was anything more than an option for the MWC and have even said I expect Utah State to get in over us and agreed we may have to spend some time as an Indy.

From Quinn's post right obove yours, since you have trouble comprehending English and conference realignment and geography. If you could read, I said if BYU and AFA both turn down the BE invite again then Fresno would go, but of course you'd be even more butt hurt if that happened. Oh wait the east doesn't care about the west so SDSU and Boise St. must not be going to the BE.

Quinn wrote:
As for the MWC, the good thing is that no matter what, the MWC is safe. They have Utah St., SJSU, NMSU, and Idaho in the region that would join if schools left (Air Force). No way 4 schools leave and all 4 needed. And that's if they stay west of Texas. They've got Sunbelt and all the WAC schools to chose from if needed. So no matter the choice on merger type, the MWC is safe.

Anyone with a brain knows Boise and SDSU are about football. They didn't invite them full time now did they. If MWCUSA was willing to have a full sport coast to coast conference then the Big East could have too if it made any sense (but it doesn't). And that's ignoring the fact that it is done out of desperation and the hope that they'd keep an AQ bid to the BCS which is another key point you fail to mention.

And I continue to laugh at you. Fresno is third?! lol. You think so highly of your school that went 4-9 and only won one OOC game last year (North Dakota btw lol). But I suppose that HUGE Fresno market will be too much to resist huh? What a joke.

Saying New Mexico won't leave the MWC because of their long ties is like saying UConn won't leave the Big East because of their long ties there. The conferences aren't the same as they were when they joined. And that's ignoring the money aspect.

And you highlight Quinns post. What's that got to do with anything? I never said the MWC wouldn't survive. They'll live with Idaho and NMSU and down the road they're bound to get an FCS upgrade like Montana.

I don't know why you think I hate you guys so much. I gave you a bad time once because we got you in football. I root for all CSUs, especially the Northern California ones. I was rooting hard for Fresno when they nearly beat USC (though that was like 10 years ago now). I'd have no problem if you guys got a BE invite (I continue to believe that their western division won't last after the AQs are dropped so I would think you'd only have a couple years there anyway) but the reality you guys aren't high up on the list.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
obove yours, since you have trouble comprehending English"

Always amusing to have someone say someone else can't comprehend English and then misspell a word in the same sentence. Hilarious.

And yeah, I don't understand Conference realignment. I was getting banned from this site for saying A&M to the SEC months before it happened. I didn't know what I was talking about then either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Quinn wrote:

Anyone with a brain knows Boise and SDSU are about football. They didn't invite them full time now did they. If MWCUSA was willing to have a full sport coast to coast conference then the Big East could have too if it made any sense (but it doesn't). And that's ignoring the fact that it is done out of desperation and the hope that they'd keep an AQ bid to the BCS which is another key point you fail to mention.

And I continue to laugh at you. Fresno is third?! lol. You think so highly of your school that went 4-9 and only won one OOC game last year (North Dakota btw lol). But I suppose that HUGE Fresno market will be too much to resist huh? What a joke.

Saying New Mexico won't leave the MWC because of their long ties is like saying UConn won't leave the Big East because of their long ties there. The conferences aren't the same as they were when they joined. And that's ignoring the money aspect.

And you highlight Quinns post. What's that got to do with anything? I never said the MWC wouldn't survive. They'll live with Idaho and NMSU and down the road they're bound to get an FCS upgrade like Montana.

I don't know why you think I hate you guys so much. I gave you a bad time once because we got you in football. I root for all CSUs, especially the Northern California ones. I was rooting hard for Fresno when they nearly beat USC (though that was like 10 years ago now). I'd have no problem if you guys got a BE invite (I continue to believe that their western division won't last after the AQs are dropped so I would think you'd only have a couple years there anyway) but the reality you guys aren't high up on the list.

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Always amusing to have someone say someone else can't comprehend English and then misspell a word in the same sentence. Hilarious.

And yeah, I don't understand Conference realignment. I was getting banned from this site for saying A&M to the SEC months before it happened. I didn't know what I was talking about then either.

It's called a typo, moron. I can spell above, you dumbsh*t! Spin away saying well SDSU and BSU aren't for basketball. YOU SAID THE EAST DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE WEST. NO WHERE DID YOU SPECIFY FOOTBALL OR BASKETBALL. Why don't you get the f*ck off this board you useless TROLL!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Quinn wrote:

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

It's called a typo, moron. I can spell above, you dumbsh*t! Spin away saying well SDSU and BSU aren't for basketball. YOU SAID THE EAST DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THE WEST. NO WHERE DID YOU SPECIFY FOOTBALL OR BASKETBALL. Why don't you get the f*ck off this board you useless TROLL!

A is not near the O. It's like a west coast letter and an east coast letter actually. Point was don't insult someone about understanding English and screw up spelling.

Sorry, this is the C-USA/MWC merger thread. So my comments are the eastern schools of the two conferences not caring about the western schools of the two conferences. You're the one bringing up Big East schools, not me.

Edit:
I won't be responding any longer. And unlike you, I actually mean it. Bye.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Another Jon Wilner blog article(previously posted in another thread)discussing "possibility" of SJSU joining the MWC/CUSA alliance at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... re-is-soon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 am 
All-Star
All-Star

No options off the table yet

http://www.gazette.com/sports/conferenc ... -west.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Well, with seemingly the exception of dissolving both conferences and forming something new, according to the article you posted:

"Merging the conferences or having them operate separately as divisions are the most likely options, it appears." - Cowen

I love this comment though!
“At the end of the day, we might have twenty four institutions in separate divisions which each division having met the requirements of a conference,” Thompson said.

What could that mean?

Well, you could technically take the MWC and CUSA and have 2 bids for hoops. But you could also then create 2 new conferences with 6 schools each, wait out the autobid process and have 4 NCAA hoops bids a few years down the road...if the NCAA would fall for it...which they likely wouldn't.

Pacific Conference: (NEW)
Hawaii
Fresno State
San Jose State
Nevada
UNLV
Idaho

Mountain West Conference:
Utah State
Wyoming
Colorado State
Air Force
New Mexico
UTEP

Southwest Conference: (NEW)
North Texas
UTSA
Tulsa
Rice
Tulane
LA Tech

Atlantic Conference (renamed from Conference USA):
FIU
Alabama-Birmingham
USM
Charlotte
East Carolina
Marshall

Of course, this is not likely an option since the NCAA is not going to give 2 autobids for these 6 schools, since we're not talking a huge step up from the Great West in basketball prowess.

More likely?

If they went 2 conferences, 2 bids, they would do MWC (same schools as above, but Pacific would be "West" division, and MWC would be "Mountain" division...CUSA would remain, but would be Atlantic+Southwest divisions above)

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Albuquerque with comments from UNM President who also says that all MWC/C-USA options are still in play at least until the ongoing tv negotiations with CBS have progressed further.Link at http://www.abqjournal.com/sports/2012/0 ... rdles.html

(Site requires a subscription.I will try to obtain an alternate link if possible)

Alternate link at http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19132

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 am 
Senior
Senior

Honestly, in the long run, FCS move-ups like Montana/Montana State are better options than will-never-amount to anything programs from the Sunbelt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:04 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

dbackjon wrote:
Honestly, in the long run, FCS move-ups like Montana/Montana State are better options than will-never-amount to anything programs from the Sunbelt

For Montana, I agree. But I do see North Texas as a good candidate. New facilities, replaces the lost Dallas market that CUSA used to have 2 schools in. I also see potential with UTSA, simply because of experience in that market...those San Antonions could really support that program.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quinn wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

For Montana, I agree. But I do see North Texas as a good candidate. New facilities, replaces the lost Dallas market that CUSA used to have 2 schools in. I also see potential with UTSA, simply because of experience in that market...those San Antonions could really support that program.

North Texas does NOTHING for the Dallas market - nowhere close to either SMU or TCU
Montana State drew nearly as much as UNT - and are expanding the stadium

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:33 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

dbackjon wrote:
Quinn wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

North Texas does NOTHING for the Dallas market - nowhere close to either SMU or TCU
Montana State drew nearly as much as UNT - and are expanding the stadium

And San Jose St. and Utah St. aren't much of a draw either, yet both are the top options for the MWC if they expand, so much that Thompson visited both campuses.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:48 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm hearing the C-USA/MWC merger might not happen now. Not sure why, but the obvious explanation would be money (TV deal not big enough? Revenue sharing split not pleasing all parties?)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Read Jon Wilner's article form 1-1/2 weeks ago.

Basically the NCAA threw water on a few of their premises.

Somehow the MWCUSA thought that the merged conference would still have 2 BB tourney auto-bids (not sure why they thought this, when the BE at 16 or 17 gets ONE).
Not that big of a deal, if you get a pile of at-larges anyway.... But evidently the MWCUSA was taken aback by losing one auto-bid.

Also the plan (for TV contractual reasons, I hear) was to dissolve the MWC and dissolve CUSA, and form one new confernece.
The NCAA thought that dissolving a conference voided that conference's right to receive exit fees.

So the planners may be back to an alliance, or rolling one conference into the other existing conference.
The alliance preserves exit fees and auto-bids, but makes the football championship an inter-conference "playoff" which may not be what they want.

Right now MWC is 7 + 1(Hawai'i); CUSA is at 8. I see both entities (merged, or a separate alliance) expanding to at least 10 before June 30th.
They will grab teams from WAC and Sun-Belt. Then the Sun-Belt will have to re-stock, and effectively kill off the WAC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of San Antonio with comments from UTSA officials which is still trying to snag a spot in the joint MWC/C-USA or the SBC.Link at http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/coll ... 454274.php

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next