NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:11 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:29 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of San Antonio(previously posted in another thread)discussing C-USA/MWC expansion possibilities at http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2012/ ... peculation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Jon Wilner blog article discussing MWC/C-USA merger and possible impact it may have on WAC and SBC.Link at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... and-others

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article from Tulane paper with comments from Tulane President regarding C-USA/MWC merger situation at http://www.thehullabaloo.com/sports/tul ... 0f31a.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

FAU blog article with comments from FAU President who says that her school did not receive an invite from the MWC/C-USA and plan to stay in the SBC. Link at http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/18 ... -belt.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Jon Wilner blog article discussing MWC/C-USA merger and possible impact it may have on WAC and SBC.Link at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... and-others

I just have a hard time seeing the new merged league going beyond 20 teams until they know if Boise State and San Diego State are going to change their mind about the Big East. I add Utah State (SLC), San Jose State (bay area), North Texas (Dallas/FW) and UTSA
(San Antonio). Those 4 give you large TV markets and fit nicely into you 4 divisions.

Pacific-Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State
Mountain-Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah State
Southwest-Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, North Texas, UTSA
East-UAB, ECU, Marshall, Southern Miss, Tulane

if Boise State and San Diego State decide against the Big East then I add them and 2 more. Assuming the Big East doesn't lose any more and the Big East doesn't add 2 of the new league's schools, I add FIU and Georgia State.

Pacific-Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State, San Diego State
Mountain-Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah State, Boise State
Southwest-Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane, North Texas, UTSA
East-UAB, ECU, Marshall, Southern Miss, FIU, Georgia State

If Boise and SDSU decide to stay in the Big East then I add FIU, Georgia State, Louisiana Tech and either Middle Tennessee or Charlotte.

Pacific-Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State, Utah State
Mountain-Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, UTEP, UTSA
South-Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Southern Miss, North Texas, Louisiana Tech
East-UAB, ECU, Marshall, FIU, Georgia State, Middle Tennessee or Charlotte

Bottom Line is for the new league not to rush to 24 before they know what Boise and San Diego State are going to do. The new league loses nothing by waiting. Worse case scenario for waiting is that you add 4 teams to your original 16 in 2013, then add 4 more in 2014 or 2015. It's not like Louisiana Tech, FIU, Georgia State, Charlotte or Middle Tennessee are going anywhere. They will be waiting patiently in the Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:41 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

seanbo wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

I just have a hard time seeing the new merged league going beyond 20 teams until they know if Boise State and San Diego State are going to change their mind about the Big East. I add Utah State (SLC), San Jose State (bay area), North Texas (Dallas/FW) and UTSA
(San Antonio). Those 4 give you large TV markets and fit nicely into you 4 divisions.

Pacific-Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State
Mountain-Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah State
Southwest-Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, North Texas, UTSA
East-UAB, ECU, Marshall, Southern Miss, Tulane

if Boise State and San Diego State decide against the Big East then I add them and 2 more. Assuming the Big East doesn't lose any more and the Big East doesn't add 2 of the new league's schools, I add FIU and Georgia State.

Pacific-Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State, San Diego State
Mountain-Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah State, Boise State
Southwest-Rice, UTEP, Tulsa, Tulane, North Texas, UTSA
East-UAB, ECU, Marshall, Southern Miss, FIU, Georgia State

If Boise and SDSU decide to stay in the Big East then I add FIU, Georgia State, Louisiana Tech and either Middle Tennessee or Charlotte.

Pacific-Fresno, Hawaii, Nevada, UNLV, San Jose State, Utah State
Mountain-Air Force, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming, UTEP, UTSA
South-Rice, Tulsa, Tulane, Southern Miss, North Texas, Louisiana Tech
East-UAB, ECU, Marshall, FIU, Georgia State, Middle Tennessee or Charlotte

Bottom Line is for the new league not to rush to 24 before they know what Boise and San Diego State are going to do. The new league loses nothing by waiting. Worse case scenario for waiting is that you add 4 teams to your original 16 in 2013, then add 4 more in 2014 or 2015. It's not like Louisiana Tech, FIU, Georgia State, Charlotte or Middle Tennessee are going anywhere. They will be waiting patiently in the Sun Belt.

Exactly! It's not like they couldn't make room for them then. But yes, makes little sense to add two low level programs when you can wait 2-3 years and have a good shot at getting Boise St. and SDSU back. Gotta think once BCS autobid is gone, that BSU and SDSU will have to at least look at going back west.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sounds like the merger is dead...
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... -sun-belt/

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/3/26/ ... #storyjump

But the alliance may go on as a fb only thing...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:49 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I still don't see how this...

Idaho
Utah St.
SJSU
Fresno
Hawaii
UNLV
Nevada
Colorado St.
Wyoming
New Mexico

Is better than those 7 MWC schools added to CUSA and move UTEP west and add FIU for all sports in the East. We join CUSA. The 16 from the 2 should easily be worth more than that ugly MWC group of 10. We keep the 4 exit fees from CUSA and their credits, we lose MWC credits/exit fees. Should still be better in the long run than a MWC/WAC merge and SBC/CUSA merge.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Idaho
Utah St.
SJSU
Fresno
Hawaii
UNLV
Nevada
Colorado St.
Wyoming
New Mexico

Is better than those 7 MWC schools added to CUSA and move UTEP west and add FIU for all sports in the East. We join CUSA. The 16 from the 2 should easily be worth more than that ugly MWC group of 10. We keep the 4 exit fees from CUSA and their credits, we lose MWC credits/exit fees. Should still be better in the long run than a MWC/WAC merge and SBC/CUSA merge.

Because, like the second link points out, two AQs to playoffs instead of one plus no losses of exit fee money. The merger could always happen down the road after things settle down. If they both go to 10 then a playoff between the conference champions could still happen (but I really see no point to that).

The reality is the merger has never really been a good idea. It was born out of the idea that they'd be able to replace the Big East as the 6th best conference, but the reality it anyone and everyone joined or would join the Big East when asked. I think a lot of us figured down the road that Boise and SDSU would have resurrected the WAC and cherry picked their conference mates.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article explaining how MWC/C-USA are working together on some type of "sharing arrangement" which may or may not end up being a "full merger".Time will tell.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... g-together

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Idaho
Utah St.
SJSU
Fresno
Hawaii
UNLV
Nevada
Colorado St.
Wyoming
New Mexico

New Link
http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/3/26/ ... usa-merger

Basically says that the NCAA bball tourney pays out in a six year rolling period, so by dissolving both conferences neither the MWC nor CUSA would receive that money, and that's a big blow. Also the new conference would not be able to collect the exit fees from Boise St, SDSU, Memphis, Houston, SMU, and UCF, which isn't exactly chump change either.

If the MWC dissolves and joins CUSA they still lose Boise St/SDSU exit fees and the last six years of tourney money...and when you add in the extra travel cost it seems like an easy answer...just do a football alliance with a new joint TV contract but keep the other sports and TV contract separate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I didn't say get rid of both I said for the 7/8 of us to JOIN CUSA. Looks like the presidents woke up and see that as an option now. Quinn you holding to the prediction of the 2 separate conferences. I am sticking w/ they will find a way to be 1 conf, CUSA. Being fb only would mean we still have to add a couple of mouths to feed on both sides that don't carry their own weight. Long term, burning exit fees/credits from the mwc seem like a small price. Travel? what travel? 2 cross over for bball 1 for fb. not bad at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Another Brett McMurphy article with comments from C-USA Commish who says new C-USA/MWC arrangement will be completed by early June 2012.Link at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... early-june

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 pm 
Senior
Senior

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
I didn't say get rid of both I said for the 7/8 of us to JOIN CUSA. Looks like the presidents woke up and see that as an option now. Quinn you holding to the prediction of the 2 separate conferences. I am sticking w/ they will find a way to be 1 conf, CUSA. Being fb only would mean we still have to add a couple of mouths to feed on both sides that don't carry their own weight. Long term, burning exit fees/credits from the mwc seem like a small price. Travel? what travel? 2 cross over for bball 1 for fb. not bad at all.

Or maybe C-USA woke up and realized they don't need or want all those MWC schools. Makes more sense to me for C-USA to go to 14 by adding UTSA, N. Texas, New Mexico, Colorado State, La Tech, and FIU.

Two separate conferences of 10 having a football championship is not a good move. It wouldn't bring in much more money than a single conference championship would and the latter would only be split 12-14 ways instead of 20 ways.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Or maybe C-USA woke up and realized they don't need or want all those MWC schools. Makes more sense to me for C-USA to go to 14 by adding UTSA, N. Texas, New Mexico, Colorado State, La Tech, and FIU.

Two separate conferences of 10 having a football championship is not a good move. It wouldn't bring in much more money than a single conference championship would and the latter would only be split 12-14 ways instead of 20 ways.

UNM and CSU would rather be in MWC than CUSA, UNM has made it public. why add sh*tty schools when they could get Fresno, Nevada, maybe AFA if they stay. If anyone were to cross over to another conf it would be UTEP back w/ MWC. They planned on it in the Alliance, they have much longer ties to the leftover MWC and lost their 2 main rivals in CUSA. They aren't remotely close geographically to any CUSA school now either.

Did you read the link above you? Sure sounds like they really want the 16 of them to work and not have to add lesser schools that don't bring anything to the conf. let alone 2 separate ones.

Here, look. you think it makes sense for UNM and CSU to be flying across the US just to play ECU and S.Miss? Even though UNM has already said they won't leave the MWC for CUSA. They also have ties to all the MWC schools and just UTEP on the other side. Don't be mad just because SJSU might get left out and then start posting nonsense.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/Cbd1.PNG

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next