NCAA Map
  It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I wonder who is interested in NMSU for Olympic sports. The Big Sky wants their football too. The Big West is a real possibility. The Summit could be too. Maybe the Southland tossed out an offer for Olympic sports with an option to join for football too if they drop to FCS.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Las Cruces with update on NMSU athletic advisory committee at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... s/83359046

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:10 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of El Paso(previously posted in another thread)discussing unconfirmed reports of UTEP "possibly" leaving C-USA.Article mentions NMSU as a "possible" UTEP replacement.Link at http://krod.com/rumors-flying-that-utep ... conference

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 pm 
Senior
Senior

NMSU as a replacement for UTEP in CUSA is pure conjecture on the author's part

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:58 am 
Senior
Senior

Huan wrote:
NMSU as a replacement for UTEP in CUSA is pure conjecture on the author's part

I have to agree. I would assume they would go after a Sun Belt team first like Texas State.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

even if UTEP were to depart from C-USA, I doubt that New Mexico St would be their first pick to fill the spot. You have to think Sunbelt options like UL Lafayette, Arkansas St, or Georgia St or an FCS add like JMU would be more in line with C-USA's goals.

The only way that UTEP going to the MWC would help NMSU is if C-USA takes a Sunbelt West team and the Sunbelt in turn replaces that school with NMSU.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SeattleTimes article discussing report that Idaho will announce tomorrow at 10 am(local) it's conference affilation decision for it's FB program,which is expected to be a move to FCS and "likely" to the Big Sky.Link at http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/idah ... eport-says

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Missoula(previously posted in another thread) reporting that Idaho has announced that as expected,they will be joining the Big Sky for FB in 2018.Link at http://missoulian.com/sports/college/bi ... f02f9.html

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So what's NMSU going to do ?

Perhaps they also have an offer from the Big Sky... there are some indications that might be true.

At this point, they should wait and see what shakes out from the upcoming Big XII meetings / possible expansion. There could be movement affecting Big XII, AAC, BYU, MWC (Colorado State or Boise St.), CUSA, Sun-Belt. Depending on what happens, an opening may appear (even back in the Sun-Belt).

Once that settles down, if NMSU is still on the outside looking in, the Big Sky may be the preferred option, however, if they decide to go FCS, the Southland, or even an MVFC expansion with NMSU and North Dakota might make sense.l

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

WAC MB thread(previously posted in another thread)discussing NMSU attempt to find other conference homes at http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=2368&t=14726950

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces with comments from NMSU BOR Chairperson who says that NMSU is committed to stay in FBS for now and is not interested in negotiations with the Big Sky,who have not issued an invite.She says that more work will be done concerning the future conference home for non-FB sports.Link at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... s/83978532

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Makes sense at this time.

NMSU's preference is to remain FBS, and it is QUITE POSSIBLE a slot may open up in an FBS conference following Big XII expansion and the trickle-down realignment.

NMSU has 2 more years as a sun Belt football affiliate (FBS), so there is no urgency for them to downgrade to FCS at this time (and a downgrade to FCS is what the Big Sky would be offering, if and when they ever do invite NMSU).

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Makes sense at this time.

NMSU's preference is to remain FBS, and it is QUITE POSSIBLE a slot may open up in an FBS conference following Big XII expansion and the trickle-down realignment.

NMSU has 2 more years as a sun Belt football affiliate (FBS), so there is no urgency for them to downgrade to FCS at this time (and a downgrade to FCS is what the Big Sky would be offering, if and when they ever do invite NMSU).

The trickle down realignment may not work out in NSMU's favor. It would depend on what C-USA would do in the long run.(if they stay at 12 if they lose 2 teams) I'm thinking that the only chance NSMU has of making it into another FBS conference is if the Big 12 decides to go to 14 instead of 12.(or if the Pac 12 for some reason adds 2 teams to move to 14)

There has been no movement on the Pac 12 moving to 14.(lack of good candidates) or the Big 12 going to 14.(seem to be interested in adding 2) While i personally think that the P 5 conferences will expand to 14 eventually.(and stay there) I don't see such a expansion from either the Pac 12 or Big 12 at this time. I would think the Big 12 will expand in a few years if they go for the UCF and USF combo this go around. While week they offer 2 good markets and a recruiting area.(i would think people will go see some of the bigger Big 12 play in Tampa) I think the Pac 12 only has one guaranteed school it will expand with is Boise State.(i don't see a good 14th school)

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces discussing NMSU future Indy FB schedule situation at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... e/86776764

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Las Cruces discussing possibility that Big 12 expansion will cause conference realignment dominos to eventually tumble NMSU's way at http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/ ... e/87414702