NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:16 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 346  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Latest Mark Blaudschun blog article regarding BE realignment and tv deal negotiations at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4239

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

if ajesrseyguy is right then the Big East could very well saved, we won't get the split we've been praying for, and this conference will continue to behave like a dysfunctional family. With UConn, Cincinnati, and the Catholic 7 treating the newcomers like 2nd class citizens I have to wonder if the MWC's overtures to Boise, San Diego St, Houston, and SMU regarding a 16 member MWC (with Houston and SMU getting to handpick members #15 and #16) will get more serious consideration. If they could get a decent television contract I think those schools would rather be among equals (or the big dogs of the MWC) rather than the stepchildren of David Gavitt's northeastern basketball conference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:32 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Muskie,

This is a conference that has seven (of 12 voting*) members pissed off because the league somehow invited a team against their wishes -- unanimously according to their press release -- and you expect them to do the logical thing?

Katz & McMurphy say it's happening:
Quote:
The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools are expected to decide on their future in the Big East in the coming days, and it "would be an upset" if they remained in the league, sources told ESPN.

The seven schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall and Villanova -- are "close to a consensus on what they want to do next," a source said Wednesday.

The presidents of the seven schools are scheduled to conduct a teleconference with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Thursday and are expected to issue a statement on their schools' future in the next 24 to 48 hours.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8742607/seven-catholic-schools-leaning-leaving-big-east-sources-say

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:06 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Please split, there is no reason for a hybrid FBS league. ND excluded.

So if they split and lose 15-20% of that new figure of 40 million. 1.6 to the fb only schools. 2.66 for all sports. If all 14 became all sports then 2.28 per school.

Come on back BSU and SDSU unless they do all sports and add Fresno, UNLV, UNM or Tulsa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Oh the * = 12 members voted because Louisville wasn't gone yet.

I've tried to investigate and figure out exactly what went down -- you know because NO "REPORTER" (AT BIG EAST SLURPING PROPAGANDA NETWORK) EVEN BOTHERED TO ASK A NON-FBS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR THE FREAKING QUESTION. Sorry...

So, the conferences rules I found online in the WVU lawsuit case say:

New members can be added with 3/4 majority approval by the board of directors (aka, Presidents). That you knew. But also:

"In the event: (i) new Member(s) are added because of extraordinary circumstances and (ii) there is a vote in which all the Division 1-A Schools vote one way and all the Non-Division 1-A Schools vote another way, such vote shall be deemed a tie, notwithstanding the number of schools voting. The Division 1-A schools and the Non-Division 1-A schools shall work in good faith to address any other issues raised by this expansion"

Wow, is that document just as HORRIBLY FREAKING CONSTRUCTED AS THE MOTHER-FLUFFMYPILLOWS league itself.

I'd assume the football schools put this in when they had basketball bent over a railing in 2003, and could split the league, leaving basketball without their NCAA TV Revenue shares and auto-bid.

There's no PROCEDURE here to that clause.
It doesn't say that IF the vote to add a member is deadlocked along football/basketball lines, it will be deemed a tie (which isn't 3/4 majority) and Football-Only membership may be offered as a football action.
It doesn't say that someone gets to break the tie that super-cedes 3/4 majority.

It's merely an explanation of how football can force things down basketball's throat! No wonder they're pissed.

The Big East voted 7-3 against Tulane, the commissioner broke the "tie" by admitting them, and then issued a press release saying it was unanimous.

I am F'ING HEATED about this. The Big East is to split, basketball is going to raid the A-10 and my alma mater is going to be stuck in realignment hell with LaSalle, Fordham, St. Joe's, Duquesne, Rhode Island, GW. This is effing crippling.

At least I have been justified in my 25-year hatred of the Big East.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

JPSchmack wrote:
Oh the * = 12 members voted because Louisville wasn't gone yet.

I've tried to investigate and figure out exactly what went down -- you know because NO "REPORTER" (AT BIG EAST SLURPING PROPAGANDA NETWORK) EVEN BOTHERED TO ASK A NON-FBS ATHLETIC DIRECTOR THE FREAKING QUESTION. Sorry...

So, the conferences rules I found online in the WVU lawsuit case say:

New members can be added with 3/4 majority approval by the board of directors (aka, Presidents). That you knew. But also:

"In the event: (i) new Member(s) are added because of extraordinary circumstances and (ii) there is a vote in which all the Division 1-A Schools vote one way and all the Non-Division 1-A Schools vote another way, such vote shall be deemed a tie, notwithstanding the number of schools voting. The Division 1-A schools and the Non-Division 1-A schools shall work in good faith to address any other issues raised by this expansion"

Wow, is that document just as HORRIBLY FREAKING CONSTRUCTED AS THE MOTHER-FLUFFMYPILLOWS league itself.

I'd assume the football schools put this in when they had basketball bent over a railing in 2003, and could split the league, leaving basketball without their NCAA TV Revenue shares and auto-bid.

There's no PROCEDURE here to that clause.
It doesn't say that IF the vote to add a member is deadlocked along football/basketball lines, it will be deemed a tie (which isn't 3/4 majority) and Football-Only membership may be offered as a football action.
It doesn't say that someone gets to break the tie that super-cedes 3/4 majority.

It's merely an explanation of how football can force things down basketball's throat! No wonder they're pissed.

The Big East voted 7-3 against Tulane, the commissioner broke the "tie" by admitting them, and then issued a press release saying it was unanimous.

I am F'ING HEATED about this. The Big East is to split, basketball is going to raid the A-10 and my alma mater is going to be stuck in realignment hell with LaSalle, Fordham, St. Joe's, Duquesne, Rhode Island, GW. This is effing crippling.

At least I have been justified in my 25-year hatred of the Big East.
'

Indeed, the whole situation is a mess. All this talk of Temple and NOW a "source" is saying that despite the Big East saying Temple is a full voting member, despite Temple's AD saying they are a full voting member, that NO, Temple isn't a full voting member...if you include a little issue like dissolving the league as something a full member would have.

Sorry, but if you can't vote on the existence of your conference, you are not a full member.

I'm with you in worries, JP.

The A10 was a strong conference and was the birthplace of the great Joe Paterno idea of an all-sports conference in the northeast. In hindsight, the decision by BC and Syracuse to side with basketball schools instead of football schoolslike Penn St. and Rutgers will kill 2 conferences. The Big East SHOULD have been the JoPa conference idea with all sports members. And the A10 should have been the non-football schools in the region at the time, those 6 BE basketball schools at the time (Providence, UConn, St. Johns, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown) with 4 of the A10 schools.

Now the A10 will lose Xavier, St. Louis, Butler and perhaps 2 more like Dayton and/or VCU/Richmond. It's a huge blow. St. Bonaventure might be better off in the MAAC as #13. And UMass best hope that the football schools grab them, being that the ONLY northeast schools in the conference will be Connecticut and Temple (Philadelphia).

Have to think that if the split happens, that it will lead to an interesting battle between the ACC and Big Ten for MSG as a tournament location. I thought the ACC had it in the bag over the Big East before, but I was wrong. This time, the lure of BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Duke, UNC, etc could be enough to get them the spot.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:40 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Lenn Robbins at NYPost is reporting,so far unconfirmed, that Big East BB school Presidents will have conference call with BE Commish this morning and will then announce this afternoon that they will be leaving.Link at http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/ ... wF80US3G6H

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:42 am 
Junior
Junior

http://news.providencejournal.com/break ... -soon.html

Projo saying that there could be a decision in 24-48 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

JPSchmack wrote:
This is a conference that has seven (of 12 voting*) members pissed off because the league somehow invited a team against their wishes -- unanimously according to their press release -- and you expect them to do the logical thing?

Never get caught up on the unanimous thing, when its come to voting most conference take a vote and decide who the winner is and then revote to make it unanimous (or jsut say it was) as a show of strength and solidarity. I know you've been discussing a lot of issues in your last two posts but this is pretty standard operating procedure (not the way the vote was taken but announced) noone wants to go into a league knowing that X many members didn't want them there...funny how that worked out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This BE saga has gotten real nasty and the conflicts are bitterly in the open. The conference needs to do something profound, and split. It is troublesome for the bb schools, the all-sports schools, the fb onlies, and the slated newcomers who are confused and also riddled with anxiety about what to do with little to no say in the decisions. Aresco is losing support and confidence with his efforts, of which whatever he does, some formidable segment of the BE will be displeased.

BE bb onlies, and prior BE leadership, made some poor decisions in the past, as did some of the prior and current all-sports schools. Aresco's greatest potential contribution, could be to facilitate a break-up ending in a new identify and an improved association for the bb schools; and the all-sports/fb onlies are able to re-organize/re-structure, probably under a new name, that will offer some hope of stability and purpose. He was suppose to be the guy to bring in big TV bucks for the inherited and flawed trans-continental idea. The prime mission may have changed.

Also, the UCONN President needs to let go of trying to keep the bb schools from pursing the split; if she won't accept that, then perhaps go with them, and then try to decide what to do about UCONN fb. The ACC hasn't extended that invitation yet....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:23 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

This thing is likely going to happen, for real.

And the result is going to be a an unprecedented number of lawsuits.

You have:
* The ownership of the Big East brand at stake.
* The current exit fee distribution (for Pitt, SU, UL, WVU, TCU, etc)
* The NCAA tournament revenue shares
* Damages: 7 all-sport schools have joined, 4 FB-only schools, and have had to pay exit fees to their existing/past conferences. Those conferences have restocked with schools from other conferences. So the schools in the Big East can't just return to where they were and they aren't getting their exit fees back from CUSA, etc.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Pete Thamel piece discussing potential fallout from probable Big East split at

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... &eref=sihp

Edit:Thanks Westwolf,I updated the link.

Freaked

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:02 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Chicago Tribune reporting that Big East BB schools plan to leave that league and are still putting together the final details of their plan but will "probably" not announce their leaving today.Stay Tuned.Link at http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 3239.story

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So will they both end up getting AQs for basketball. csn board is saying that NCAA won't move off of 31, seems petty just like a lot of people on that board. 32 works better.

So are we looking at...

MWC adding SDSU, BSU

or

BE Leftovers
East
Temple
UConn
Cincinnati
UCF
USF
ECU
Marshall
West
Memphis
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa
S.Miss
UTSA
or

BELeftover
East
Temple
UConn
Cincinnati
USF
UCF
ECU
Memphis
West
BSU
SDSU
Houston
SMU
Tulane
Fresno
UNLV

I figure Navy will stay Indy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

USAToday article(Mark Blaudschun) discussing some of the issues that the BE BB schools will likely need to address in some fashion before they officially announce that they are leaving the BE.Link at http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... f7855890=1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288, 289 ... 346  Next