NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 346  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:53 am 
Senior
Senior

Thinking that maybe it is time for the AAC to look at Buffalo and Marshall....to complete the north division of the conference. And I believe it would be prudent to add a non-fb team to replace Navy's left out Olympic sports.

South:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
UCF
USF

North:
Buffalo
Marshall
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy(fb only)
ECU

The two schools fit in geographically. Buffalo has AAU status and academics which fits in nicely with Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, UConn and Cincy. Buffalo also has a large research budget which is comparable with many schools.
Marshall gives Cincy a quality, close partner and helps bridge the south to the north. Marshall could also serve as a hub if Cincy decides to move on.
Both Buffalo and Marshall are in conferences that can be plundered which makes the transition all that easier(no lingering lawsuits).

The only question left...is.....who will fill in for Navy in the rest of the sports?
Options: College of Charleston, any UNC school, an A-10 school(SLU, Dayton), small private school in a quality market/area(Belmont, Hofstra, Northeastern, Detroit, Loyola Md, UEvansville), large state school without fb(UALR)? The AAC could afford to offer a bit more to the only non-fb team...just to lock the best school down.
*edit* Just thought about adding Boston U. for non-fb. Big school, AAU, great endowment....could fit quite well with Buffalo and Tulane being AAU.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Let me posit a hypothetical scenario: if another major conference shift occurs in let's say 5 years or when ever the Big 12 and ACC GOR are up what happens to the American? Do the western members end up casting their lot with the schools left over from the Big 12 raid? Do some of the eastern members end up with the left behind ACC schools?

I'm inclined to think that the 5 truly western schools go with whoever is left in the Big 12 simply for their markets (Houston, the other half of the DFW market, New Orleans, and Memphis) and to fill a geographic gap (Tulsa). The Cincinnati bearcats could be in the mix too if WVU is still with the Big 12 group and not with the ACC group.

It's the eastern schools I'm not so sure about. If any ACC schools in NC are left (which I imagine at least WF will be) then ECU will face opposition. BC hates UConn. If the ACC has any FL schools left then UCF and USF will likely both be blocked

If the ACC loses any members they will add UConn, Cincy, and WVU in a heartbeat, USF might squeak in if they lose 1 FL school, UCF if they lose both, and ECU isn't getting in unless UNC/NCSU/Duke all bolt, UMass won't get in unless BC leaves, Buffalo won't get in unless Syracuse leaves, and Temple is a wildcard.

Future Big 12 - TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis + Rice, UTSA, Arkansas St, LA Tech and SoMiss (UTEP/UAB as alternates).

Future AAC Eastern targets - UAB, GA State, MTSU, UNCC, ODU, Marshall, UMass, Buffalo, JMU (if Navy leaves), App St (if ECU leaves), FAU/FIU (if USF/UCF leave)

I know you posted this back in September, but I am curious as to where you see UCF and USF in the pecking order of conference realignment. Today UCF did something USF never did, and that was to win the AAC/Big East conference championship.

If the Big 12 does lose the Texhoma 4 in the future, do you see the Big 10 going after Kansas and Kansas State as well as Iowa State? I can't see how that would help them with TV markets, or football, or really anything other than quality schools in terms of educational value. That being said, don't you think they would be able to find better alternatives in the ACC? I believe the only way the Big 10 goes after Kansas and the others is if they are trying to make a play for Oklahoma and Texas.

But assuming the Big 12 does lose the Texhoma 4 somewhere down the road, how does that impact their TV contracts? I can see some logic in adding a few more Texas schools like SMU and Houston, but not Rice, La Tech and So Miss. I think the best play for the Big 12 would be to try and get Cincy, Tulane (if they continue to improve over the next 5 years, I think they are better than La Tech, otherwise, I agree with you on La Tech) and UCF and USF. The I-4 Corridor could belong to the Big 12 in a few years. That would draw a lot of TV sets. which I would imagine would be good for TV contracts.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:42 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

hendu1976fl wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Let me posit a hypothetical scenario: if another major conference shift occurs in let's say 5 years or when ever the Big 12 and ACC GOR are up what happens to the American? Do the western members end up casting their lot with the schools left over from the Big 12 raid? Do some of the eastern members end up with the left behind ACC schools?

I'm inclined to think that the 5 truly western schools go with whoever is left in the Big 12 simply for their markets (Houston, the other half of the DFW market, New Orleans, and Memphis) and to fill a geographic gap (Tulsa). The Cincinnati bearcats could be in the mix too if WVU is still with the Big 12 group and not with the ACC group.

It's the eastern schools I'm not so sure about. If any ACC schools in NC are left (which I imagine at least WF will be) then ECU will face opposition. BC hates UConn. If the ACC has any FL schools left then UCF and USF will likely both be blocked

If the ACC loses any members they will add UConn, Cincy, and WVU in a heartbeat, USF might squeak in if they lose 1 FL school, UCF if they lose both, and ECU isn't getting in unless UNC/NCSU/Duke all bolt, UMass won't get in unless BC leaves, Buffalo won't get in unless Syracuse leaves, and Temple is a wildcard.

Future Big 12 - TCU, Baylor, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis + Rice, UTSA, Arkansas St, LA Tech and SoMiss (UTEP/UAB as alternates).

Future AAC Eastern targets - UAB, GA State, MTSU, UNCC, ODU, Marshall, UMass, Buffalo, JMU (if Navy leaves), App St (if ECU leaves), FAU/FIU (if USF/UCF leave)

I know you posted this back in September, but I am curious as to where you see UCF and USF in the pecking order of conference realignment. Today UCF did something USF never did, and that was to win the AAC/Big East conference championship.

If the Big 12 does lose the Texhoma 4 in the future, do you see the Big 10 going after Kansas and Kansas State as well as Iowa State? I can't see how that would help them with TV markets, or football, or really anything other than quality schools in terms of educational value. That being said, don't you think they would be able to find better alternatives in the ACC? I believe the only way the Big 10 goes after Kansas and the others is if they are trying to make a play for Oklahoma and Texas.

But assuming the Big 12 does lose the Texhoma 4 somewhere down the road, how does that impact their TV contracts? I can see some logic in adding a few more Texas schools like SMU and Houston, but not Rice, La Tech and So Miss. I think the best play for the Big 12 would be to try and get Cincy, Tulane (if they continue to improve over the next 5 years, I think they are better than La Tech, otherwise, I agree with you on La Tech) and UCF and USF. The I-4 Corridor could belong to the Big 12 in a few years. That would draw a lot of TV sets. which I would imagine would be good for TV contracts.

As far as the pecking order goes, UCF, for the time being, has passed USF. With that being said, UCF and USF bringing virtually indistinguishable tv markets and I think the advantage in the pecking order will be determined on who happens to be playing better whenever realignment occurs. Things could get very interesting if the Texlahoma 4 (or any group of 4 from the Big 12) start the realignment chain reaction. The Big 12 could find themselves out of existence and the AAC and MWC pick over the pieces. I don't think the Big 12 has any reason to expand for the time being so don't expect them to preemptively add before they are raided.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
hendu1976fl wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

As far as the pecking order goes, UCF, for the time being, has passed USF. With that being said, UCF and USF bringing virtually indistinguishable tv markets and I think the advantage in the pecking order will be determined on who happens to be playing better whenever realignment occurs. Things could get very interesting if the Texlahoma 4 (or any group of 4 from the Big 12) start the realignment chain reaction. The Big 12 could find themselves out of existence and the AAC and MWC pick over the pieces. I don't think the Big 12 has any reason to expand for the time being so don't expect them to preemptively add before they are raided.

I think B12 would take the best of the rest of AAC/MWC that way there are still 5 big boy conferences. They have more money to offer, if they join us it the little guy side of FBS then they'll become also rans.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Called this one...and so it begins: Temple's cutting programs.

You spend a mint to run a FBS football program, rent a pro stadium and never fill it, and then only get a paltry TV payout? And then there's the travel...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:

You spend a mint to run a FBS football program, rent a pro stadium and never fill it, and then only get a paltry TV payout? And then there's the travel...

And your suggestion was what? No fb....and have a great woman's field hockey team? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:10 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

mozilla wrote:
Thinking that maybe it is time for the AAC to look at Buffalo and Marshall....to complete the north division of the conference. And I believe it would be prudent to add a non-fb team to replace Navy's left out Olympic sports.

South:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
UCF
USF

North:
Buffalo
Marshall
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy(fb only)
ECU

The two schools fit in geographically. Buffalo has AAU status and academics which fits in nicely with Tulane, SMU, Tulsa, UConn and Cincy. Buffalo also has a large research budget which is comparable with many schools.
Marshall gives Cincy a quality, close partner and helps bridge the south to the north. Marshall could also serve as a hub if Cincy decides to move on.
Both Buffalo and Marshall are in conferences that can be plundered which makes the transition all that easier(no lingering lawsuits).

The only question left...is.....who will fill in for Navy in the rest of the sports?
Options: College of Charleston, any UNC school, an A-10 school(SLU, Dayton), small private school in a quality market/area(Belmont, Hofstra, Northeastern, Detroit, Loyola Md, UEvansville), large state school without fb(UALR)? The AAC could afford to offer a bit more to the only non-fb team...just to lock the best school down.
*edit* Just thought about adding Boston U. for non-fb. Big school, AAU, great endowment....could fit quite well with Buffalo and Tulane being AAU.

I like your thinking but I think I have a better solution to Buffalo: The Ohio Bobcats.

Ohio is a WAY better basketball school than Buffalo is. Huge arena (with fans) and recent march success. When UCF was in the MAC, I was most impressed with Ohio's fanbase and I have heard the exact same thing from Temple fans. I think Temple even became rivals with them during their short stay in the MAC. Also, Marshall and Ohio are long-time rivals so if you do add Marshall they are a natural fit with Ohio.
Ohio is located perfectly to gap a northern division and I think Cincinnati and Ohio combined have a better shot to get press in the Buckeye State. If Ohio and UC became rivals that could get press around the state with lots of alums and even casual fans.
Ohio's football program is pretty solid too with Frank Solich. Bad year this year but they do have a bowl against new AAC member ECU. That bowl even said the reason they picked Ohio for the bowl over Toledo was because of a strong Ohio fanbase.

South:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
UCF
USF

North:
Ohio
Marshall
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy(fb only)
ECU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:21 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

And your suggestion was what? No fb....and have a great woman's field hockey team? :roll:

No he probably meant drop fb and be a top notch A-10 bball school like VCU. Playing in the CUSA 2.0 isn't as good for their bball program.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

No he probably meant drop fb and be a top notch A-10 bball school like VCU. Playing in the CUSA 2.0 isn't as good for their bball program.

A-10 yes, drop football, no. They were fine in the MAC and A-10. Utterly buffoonish leaving the MAC that fast when the Big East was obviously falling apart and then leaving UMass in the lurch.

Worst case scenario: just go to the MAC entirely. They all operate with a similar budget, and you get your games with the Big Ten. Temple could get games with both PSU and one of those other Big Ten "east" schools. Those games help support some of these other programs alone. Instead, the football program is just robbing Peter to pay Paul, trying to succeed on the cheap with JUCOs and transfers while actual student athletes are told where to shove it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:32 am 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

A-10 yes, drop football, no. They were fine in the MAC and A-10. Utterly buffoonish leaving the MAC that fast when the Big East was obviously falling apart and then leaving UMass in the lurch.

Worst case scenario: just go to the MAC entirely. They all operate with a similar budget, and you get your games with the Big Ten. Temple could get games with both PSU and one of those other Big Ten "east" schools. Those games help support some of these other programs alone. Instead, the football program is just robbing Peter to pay Paul, trying to succeed on the cheap with JUCOs and transfers while actual student athletes are told where to shove it.

Lots of schools rearrange their athletic dept's and eliminate small sports. Robert Morris is doing it right now, as well.
Why not let the people that are in charge of the money....be in charge of the money? Rather than second guess what 'they' want to do with it?
If this is what Temple wants to do with their money.....I don't see why it should bother any of us.

It just seems like people like to bash on the AAC and their member institutions.

And Temples record against PSU is just horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:40 am 
Senior
Senior

ucfknation wrote:
mozilla wrote:

South:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
UCF
USF

North:
Buffalo
Marshall
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy(fb only)
ECU

I like your thinking but I think I have a better solution to Buffalo: The Ohio Bobcats.

Ohio is a WAY better basketball school than Buffalo is. Huge arena (with fans) and recent march success. When UCF was in the MAC, I was most impressed with Ohio's fanbase and I have heard the exact same thing from Temple fans. I think Temple even became rivals with them during their short stay in the MAC. Also, Marshall and Ohio are long-time rivals so if you do add Marshall they are a natural fit with Ohio.
Ohio is located perfectly to gap a northern division and I think Cincinnati and Ohio combined have a better shot to get press in the Buckeye State. If Ohio and UC became rivals that could get press around the state with lots of alums and even casual fans.
Ohio's football program is pretty solid too with Frank Solich. Bad year this year but they do have a bowl against new AAC member ECU. That bowl even said the reason they picked Ohio for the bowl over Toledo was because of a strong Ohio fanbase.

South:
Houston
SMU
Tulsa
Tulane
Memphis
UCF
USF

North:
Ohio
Marshall
UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
Navy(fb only)
ECU

I have no problem with Ohio. I just thought that the addition of two AAU schools(Buffalo, Boston) might help the AAC to get more respect than they are garnering at this time.
Plus, Buffalo and Boston are pretty major markets and pretty large schools...which you don't really get with Ohio.

But, with Ohio....you do get more of a center to the conference.

What if the AAC picked up Ohio, Buffalo and BostonU? And left Marshall off the list? Maybe two teams from the MAC would help foster rivalries better?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
Lots of schools rearrange their athletic dept's and eliminate small sports. Robert Morris is doing it right now, as well.
Why not let the people that are in charge of the money....be in charge of the money? Rather than second guess what 'they' want to do with it?
If this is what Temple wants to do with their money.....I don't see why it should bother any of us.

It just seems like people like to bash on the AAC and their member institutions.

LOL, I'm actually a fan of Temple hoops, second only to St. Joe's, so, yeah, there I go again...hatin' on the Owls!

As for the subject at hand, biiig difference between RMU and Temple. Why RMU had an AD that big, I don't know. I think it was bigger than Duquesne's, which is a bit off. But, when you're PA's second biggest school, and you cut track in a town that has the Penn Relays and crew in a town with Boathouse Row, I hope Owls football have a great time playing in the packed houses of Dallas, NoLa, Memphis, and the Rent. I'm sure those games pay all the travel bills.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:

LOL, I'm actually a fan of Temple hoops, second only to St. Joe's, so, yeah, there I go again...hatin' on the Owls!

As for the subject at hand, biiig difference between RMU and Temple. Why RMU had an AD that big, I don't know. I think it was bigger than Duquesne's, which is a bit off. But, when you're PA's second biggest school, and you cut track in a town that has the Penn Relays and crew in a town with Boathouse Row, I hope Owls football have a great time playing in the packed houses of Dallas, NoLa, Memphis, and the Rent. I'm sure those games pay all the travel bills.

While there might be a difference in the two schools(Temple and RMU)...there is no difference in what both are doing with their athletic budgets. Not every school has to have the same number and types of sports. It's no reason to bash on what Temple is trying to accomplish. Since they accepted the invite into this conference...it would seem counterproductive to then cancel fb and not participate with their conference mates.
If you didn't like that Temple joined the AAC....I can totally understand that. But, to be upset with every move they make to be a productive member of this conference seems a bit odd.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:

While there might be a difference in the two schools(Temple and RMU)...there is no difference in what both are doing with their athletic budgets. Not every school has to have the same number and types of sports. It's no reason to bash on what Temple is trying to accomplish. Since they accepted the invite into this conference...it would seem counterproductive to then cancel fb and not participate with their conference mates.
If you didn't like that Temple joined the AAC....I can totally understand that. But, to be upset with every move they make to be a productive member of this conference seems a bit odd.

What's being productive about cutting programs? This is Temple, not Memphis. It's a national university, not a commuter college like Memphis, Houston, Cincy, and the directional Floridas. It resides in a city with an international track event and a national rowing event. Both of which, they participate(d).

This isn't about "being upset" or anything of the sort. This is about being disappointed that a local program that is so poorly run, at tax-payer expense, no less, is so unaccountable for its haste that the real losers are all of these student athletes who have to bear the brunt of it. This is about the multiple posts where I said Temple (and UConn) would likely face this unfortunate outcome because of viability.

If doing business with the likes of these other schools is what Temple really wants, and further alienating themselves from the Philadelphia athletic community is what they feel they must do, that's on them, and so be it. It's just a shame student athletes are the afterthoughts or the victims in a structure that was built FOR them.
Edited:Freaked

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
mozilla wrote:

What's being productive about cutting programs? This is Temple, not Memphis. It's a national university, not a commuter college like Memphis, Houston, Cincy, and the directional Floridas. It resides in a city with an international track event and a national rowing event. Both of which, they participate(d).

This isn't about "being upset" or anything of the sort. This is about being disappointed that a local program that is so poorly run, at tax-payer expense, no less, is so unaccountable for its haste that the real losers are all of these student athletes who have to bear the brunt of it. This is about the multiple posts where I said Temple (and UConn) would likely face this unfortunate outcome because of viability.

If doing business with the likes of these other schools is what Temple really wants, and further alienating themselves from the Philadelphia athletic community is what they feel they must do, that's on them, and so be it. It's just a shame student athletes are the afterthoughts or the victims in a structure that was built FOR them.

Obviously you feel very strongly on the subject.

Edited:Freaked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 320, 321, 322, 323, 324, 325, 326 ... 346  Next