NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 345  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
To me this seems like a no brainer--UTSA is an up and comer in a decent market that has no other football team to compete with and only an NBA team to share the spot light with. The Alamo Dome isn't a shabby facility either. Bring on the Roadrunners!

Speaking of no-brainers, UTSA WAS indeed a pure non-football school prior sponsoring the sport in 2010 or 2011. Ever since, it's having moderate success. Let's wait until the Roadrunners plan to achieve at least a division title or a conference title.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:45 am 
Senior
Senior

westwolf wrote:
Navy seems to remain committed to the Aresco Athletic Conference in 15 1/2 months.

You know, you right. If Navy has not backed out by now, they'll head there. The closer to the time, the harder it shall be to change the direction.
I'd expect Army not to follow, at least not soon.
Aresco doesn't complain or fuss openly. Quite the pragmatist. Lose somebody, do the deal, plug-in with what appears to best fit and has consensus among the group. The man works and earns his due. He could stage a motivational workshop for another commissioner who may earn more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Boston Herald article with comments from UMass AD regarding finding a new conference home for it's FB program perhaps "like"the AAC at http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/ ... depart_mac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:28 am 
Senior
Senior

Could UMass and JMU enter CUSA?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Possible, but UMass would really stretch the CUSA footprint.

The UMass guy in the article was whining about travel in the MAC (primarily Ohio and Michigan), and how that wold be so much worse for Oly Sports than the A-10.
I suppose.....

In CUSA, UMass would be enduring significant travel to Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida....
(or is this travel thing a "red herring" ?)

If they were to receive an all-sportsinvitation to teh American, I think they'd be a good fit. And they might take that....
The problem is that Navy is due to take that 12 spot as a football only hybrid...

When UMass decided to go FBS, they had to know this ultimatum might one day come.
Yet right now, they seem unprepared as to how to handle it.

If Navy is somehow inclined to pull out of the AAC, or Army were to agree to join for football only, that would work out nicely for UMass...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
The UMass guy in the article was whining about travel in the MAC (primarily Ohio and Michigan), and how that wold be so much worse for Oly Sports than the A-10.
I suppose.....

Did most UMass fans see MAC football as a stepping stone, or was there some belief MAC football was a gateway to full membership? Did they think it was MAC to Big East/AAC, or MAC to CUSA to Big East/AAC?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

UMass would be great, logical fit for the AAC; but ONLY if Navy would back out, or having Army to join along. I doubt that UMass would be a fit for the other "Group of 5" conferences, such as C-USA, the MAC and the Sun Belt (like having Idaho for football-only being very far away from the other Sun Belt members, specifically the Texas schools in that conference), due to the travel issues.

The only positive that I know of for UMass to be a full member of the AAC is to re-live the rivalry with Temple in certain sports from their A-10 days, and as the article said, re-live the rivalry with UConn on football back from their old Yankee Conference days.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Bishin -

Not sure if UMass regarded the MAC as a stepping-stone or not.
I sort of suspect they would love to wind up in the AAC.

At the time UMass joined the MAC, it looked like they could have their football affiliate arrangement indefinitely,
since Temple had the same. There were the 12 full mmebers, and then Temple and UMass were football affiliates.

When Temple announced they were moving all their sports to the Big East (which became the AAC for them),
it left UMass hanging out there as an odd (numerically) member, and you knew that for the long term
the MAC was going to be looking to
1) jettison the odd team,
2) bring in another football only affiliate to replace temple to get back to 12/14, or
3) somehow elevate an even number of schools (including UMass to full membership).

MAC may have been having discussions with JMU (and others like perhaps Delaware).
Evidently that wasn't going anywhere, or JMU was looking for a different arrangement than UMass,
so 1) happened and UMass is out.

UMass may be P.O.ed at Temple for their current situation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Tute--I imagine you're right--UMass has to be furious with Temple for this predicament. I suppose their is an off chance that UConn might leave the American leaving Temple on an island and UMass and Temple could explore either full MAC Membership or UMass could negotiate Temple's return to the A-10 on the condition that the Owls and Minutemen secure football affiliateship with the MAC.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:54 pm 
Senior
Senior

With schools moving up to FBS (to my disliking! lol), someone had mentioned the A-10 adding football as a sponsored sport, what if the A-10 upgraded to FBS? I know its an incredible stretch but hear me out lol

Massachusetts and Temple are definitely more basketball than football. They would love to be in the A-10. If Connecticut gets the word that they have no chance in a larger conference, they might want to join the A-10 too. I would also add the Big East schools' football teams like Villanova (any others?) to the A-10 as football affiliates. Is that too crazy??

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
With schools moving up to FBS (to my disliking! lol), someone had mentioned the A-10 adding football as a sponsored sport, what if the A-10 upgraded to FBS? I know its an incredible stretch but hear me out lol

Massachusetts and Temple are definitely more basketball than football. They would love to be in the A-10. If Connecticut gets the word that they have no chance in a larger conference, they might want to join the A-10 too. I would also add the Big East schools' football teams like Villanova (any others?) to the A-10 as football affiliates. Is that too crazy??

Speaking of that, how about having Georgetown as a football affiliate? Would that be crazy too? lol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:

Speaking of that, how about having Georgetown as a football affiliate? Would that be crazy too? lol

I like the idea lol the A-10 has 7 football schools - then add Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Massachusetts, Connecticut

That makes a 12 team conference for football! I think many would agree that the Big East and A-10 are probably at or around par with the Mt West and American in basketball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:

I like the idea lol the A-10 has 7 football schools - then add Villanova, Georgetown, Temple, Massachusetts, Connecticut

That makes a 12 team conference for football! I think many would agree that the Big East and A-10 are probably at or around par with the Mt West and American in basketball

Interesting ideas indeed! lol But who are the other 7 A-10 schools with football? Just curious. But that would mean that UMass, Temple and UConn should be full members. UConn would be a great test for A-10 competition, just saying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 pm 
Senior
Senior

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:

Interesting ideas indeed! lol But who are the other 7 A-10 schools with football? Just curious. But that would mean that UMass, Temple and UConn should be full members. UConn would be a great test for A-10 competition, just saying.

Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, Massachusetts (need to add another for 12 since they already are members), Rhode Island, Richmond, Davidson...maybe add Delaware?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
BePcr07 wrote:

Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, Massachusetts (need to add another for 12 since they already are members), Rhode Island, Richmond, Davidson...maybe add Delaware?

True points. It would might work out for a resurrection of A-10 football, but under a new charter since the first stint was from the Yankee Conference being absorbed into it back in 1996 or 1997. So far, Fordham and Georgetown compete in the Patriot, while Duquesne competes in the NEC, Dayton competes in the non-scholarship PFL. Maybe either Delaware or JMU as the 12th.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 331, 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337 ... 345  Next