NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274 ... 337  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sort of along the lines of the old monikers: D-IA, D-IAA, D-IAAA...

Works for me.... Quinn ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Tute 79,thanks to you and others for your thoughts regarding the Realignment Index format.
Let's see if I understand your current position.
Instead of wanting Quinn to move one(THIS ONE) thread to another section you now want Quinn to make wholesale changes to the realignment index format?Supposedly this will make the index more user friendly?

I would like to get some input from more members to include the fans of the 4 "FBS" (MWC,C-USA,MAC,SBC)conferences regarding any possible wholesale changes.Am I correct in reading that so far no one is in favor of keeping the status quo index arrangement?
Also,if we are going to "start fresh" with a new index format, since we appear to be winding down after about a three year major conference realignment run,shouldn't we "lock" all of the old FBS conference realignment threads for "historical and archival" purposes and have new threads for all 10 FBS conferences starting forward?

Any more thoughts?

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

My thought is that it would be nice if the forum were organized similar to the NCAA / NAIA.

I don't know how much work such re-arrangement is, so the owner of the web-site certainly should be the final arbiter.

But the current organization could use some tweaking. D-III and NAIA deserve seaparate threads.
D-II is in with D-I FCS / D-I non-football for no apparent reason.

Big East has gone from BCS to not one of the Big 5, however, since the FBS has moved to eliminate the BCS / non-BCS distinction,
I find myself in agreement with Fighting Muskie that the 10 FBS conferences (no longer including the WAC) and FBS independents should be grouped together.

If you had to start from scratch, freaked, how would you do it ? I, like you, would like to hear the opinions of others who read / post here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

This is more observation rather than a recommendation. Some of the threads are and will continue to be way more active than others.

Can anyone really say the B1G, SEC, and PAC12 shall be expanding in the foreseeable future? Sure, there will be "what ifs'" and "should bes'", but really is now more conjecture and loose speculation, and an occasional word from a Commissioner, AD, or sports columnist with some reflective or advocating tidbit that can get overblown.
There's little or nothing to report with these three conferences on expansion itself; but of course TV contracts, bowls, alliances, etc. will continue to flare with new information time to time. There's threads for some of these factors too, so perhaps couple other dimensions with "expansion/realignment" if it relates to a specific conference. That said, there are the rare suprises, and no conference is ever immune from those wanting to present consistent commentaries in forums. And, that need not be discouraged.

The ACC and the B12 threads, for this point in time, offer a lot more speculation and a higher view of the potential for conference changes and aquisitions if it happens or not.

The Big East, for better or worse, shall continue to draw much focus. They haven't reached membership stability yet, and shall not do so anytime soon in a real confident way.

The non-bcs type conferences may actually have greater activity to come.

If I have to make a recommendation, keep it user friendly, and group by commonality. I'll say this, I would modify the groupings away from the old BCS model that looks now outdated. Maybe modify a little, nothing radically though. Activity frequency is important too; one may not want to go back to the central forum to read/post a similar domain thread. OK, after speaking from both sides....

Good luck with the project, Freaked & Quinn.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:02 pm 
Junior
Junior

tute79 wrote:
Sort of along the lines of the old monikers: D-IA, D-IAA, D-IAAA...

Works for me.... Quinn ?

I have a question about the new monikers.

D-I A became DI FBS
D-I AA became DI FCS
D-I AAA became .... ??

No, seriously. What is D-I AAA officially referred to now?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

In 1978, when D-I was subdivided into two football subdivisions (with different numbers of scholarships), namely D-1A, and D-1AA,
the NCAA wanted a "box" to categorize D-I teams with no football. This was called D-1AAA. This term is no longer used.

Edit:Any changes to the BCS/FBS sections of the MB index format "may" not be made until after the new FB postseason playoff name and format has been officially released.
The current BCS configuration runs thru the 2013 FB season.
Therefore,suggestions for possible changes to the MB index format should/could also be posted in the appropriate thread in the Site Announcement section of the MB.

Thanks
Freaked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise(previously posted in another thread)with comments from NBC executive regarding possible interest in bidding on BE TV package if it goes to open bidding later this fall at http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/10/1 ... ports.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:01 pm 
Junior
Junior

fighting muskie wrote:
tute79 wrote:
Or something like:

D-1 FBS Conferences:
ACC, SEC, B1G, Big XII, PAC-12, BE, MAC, Sun-Belt, CUSA, MWC, FBS Independents (Noter Dame, BYU, Army, Navy (?), Idaho, NMSU)

D-1 FCS Conferences (WAC is now down here)

D-2, D-3, and NAIA Conferences

What d'ya think ?

D1 FBS Conferences and Independents (that would be 10 treads plus an 11th for the Independents

D1 FCS Conferences (12 threads + a 13th for the Pioneer (Non-Scholly) League)

D1 Non-football Conferences (9 threads, possibly a 10th for what is left of the Great West Conference)

A menu with separate threads for DII, DIII, and NAIA (3 threads)

How about that? Seems super easy to navigate to me.

I like the set-up with D1 FBS Conf. & Indys, D1 FCS Conf., D1 Non-FB and a D-2, D-3, NAIA, USCAA thread...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for handling all the feedback, Freaked.

For now, lets just remain as is. Once we have some things finalized, things will be moved. We still need some autobid decisions made by the powers that be as well as the naming items that Freaked mention.

For now, I guess it can't hurt to move the Big East thread to the General FBS thread since the powers that be are lumping the Big East in with CUSA, MWC, etc.

For all site related suggestions, please direct them to the Site Feedback section though: viewforum.php?f=27

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Good job, Matt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Thanks, Matt !

(would it be a good idea to change the headings on the Forum "Tree" - moving the BE to this rouping of threads, and deleting the WAC from this listing ?). Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 am 
Senior
Senior

The powers to be are espn spin who wants to destroy the BE before real tv competition comes to play and breaks their strangle hold.

After a real and substantial tv contract is gotten the BE will begin to backed by a real substantial sports instead of being constantly attacked by espn spin.

After that I certainly doubt that BE will be blocked from the national championship.Further such a continued blockage will be responded to by court action

By the way BE is stronger in football than the ACC now..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

ctx48c wrote:
The powers to be are espn spin who wants to destroy the BE before real tv competition comes to play and breaks their strangle hold.

In reality, I think you have a Big East administration who always felt pulled by networks and some from within to sponsor football. They felt pulled by football being the major financial catalyst and lifeline to the conference. These are schools, including one in Georgetown who had a president who basically stereotyped football as a cancer on a college campus, just aren't willing to kowtow to a sport that almost half the conference doesn't field.

But, if you're ESPN, who cuts checks and watches as your investment collects its share without consistently contributing to the national football discussion while your stick-in-the-mud non-football schools sit mostly in the middle to bottom half of the basketball conference, and those schools pulling seniority on the other schools at the table, what would you honestly do? ESPN chooses to subvert one of its investments by colluding with another.

Both sides are due their criticism. Both. It's a bad conference tied to a bad broadcasting outfit. I'm amazed the Big East has lasted this long, even.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:44 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Bringing in SMU, Memphis, San Diego St and perhaps Fresno St isn't going to draw a "real and substantial" TV contract.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Certainly nothing approaching the $20 million per football school that the Big 5 conferences get.

Recognizing that the BE replacement schools are CUSA and MWC, they just don't thave the huge fan base.

Having said that, the BE contract could still be a whopping increase over what they currently have, driven by a distorted supply and demand.
Right now, you have several sports networks desperately chasing "content" and the timing of the BE contract coming availble may be fortuitious to the league.
The other major conferences are locked up for a decade or more. It is possible that 2 or more networks could get into a bidding war (and "over-bid" from a value stand-point),
for BE sports, just because "they are the only game in town".

We'll see. From a value stand-point, I think BE FB should earn more than a bout 1/3 the $/school of the Big 5, but we'll see.

The ESPN exclusive bargaining window expires at the end of October, I believe. I'm not sure when ESPN has air time to show BE FB, other than week nights.
Therefore ESPN is probably not falling all over themselves to over-bid during this 60-day period.
Aresco and the BE negotitating group probably think they have nothing to lose by waiting to see what the competitors (NBC Sports, etc.) have to offer.
They can always cut a deal with ESPN at a later date.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5046 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 268, 269, 270, 271, 272, 273, 274 ... 337  Next