NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:34 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Newsday article with comments from Big East Commish and others regarding new BE/MSG contract and update on BE/ESPN tv talks at http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/c ... -1.4126315

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not encouraging news for the NBE, or the other smaller conferences:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8545522/seventh-access-bowl-bcs-unlikely-sources-say

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
Not encouraging news for the NBE, or the other smaller conferences:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8545522/seventh-access-bowl-bcs-unlikely-sources-say

It was destined to be a mid-major bowl, and when the best mid-major can crack into a top BCS bowl, getting the two next best is quite a step down.

If you're in the ACC, SEC (hey there, Memphis), Big XII, and B1G, screen your calls.

But, hey, who knows...maybe this finally puts the Big East out of its toxic misery.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:33 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ECU blog article with comments from ECU AD regarding BE 14th FB school situation at http://bonesville.net/Articles/AlMyatt/ ... _Myatt.htm
or http://bonesville.net/Mobile/content/20 ... _myatt.htm

Also,CSNBBS MB thread discussing ECU/BE situation at http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=593694

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
ECU blog article with comments from ECU AD regarding BE 14th FB school situation at http://bonesville.net/Articles/AlMyatt/ ... _Myatt.htm
or http://bonesville.net/Mobile/content/20 ... _myatt.htm

Quotes from the above....

(a) "....the numbers situation in the ACC and SEC indicate the possibility of those leagues to expand as well."

There is no evidence the SEC is further expanding anytime in the forseeable future. The SEC is focused on assimulating and adjusting to it's prior expansion. The ACC may go to 16 at some point, but that would involve Notre Dame becoming a full fb member. That 5-fb game rotation involving ND is set, and the ACC would not complicate the matter further without a status change involving ND. Anyway, expansion by either the SEC or the ACC would not include ECU. The last thing the ACC needs is another school from N. C.

(b) "....The SEC is more akin to ECU's football-first mindset. As far as the Pirates' quest over the decades for the big time, the SEC would be the destination."

This is so unrealistic. While the SEC's premier sport is indeed fb, it certainly is not a one-dimensional criteria. Basketball, baseball, other olympic sports, enhancing academics, name recognition, market value, etc., are important. The SEC, if they would expand further, would not pursue a school that is not a state flagship, major land-grant, or top private, with strong athletics; not a directional-named school in a limited market already saturated with ACC schools. Thinking the SEC would pursue ECU is imagination gone wild and a promotional vision about ECU way too clouded.

Maytt may be correct about Louisville wanting to keep ECU out of the BE. That fits the BE pattern of pettiness when it comes to these matters. Look where it has got them.

Also, ECU advocates indicating it would accept a BE offer of fb-only looks so desperate. That said, I believe it is a bit foolish the BE has dismissed ECU overtures for so long. This school, with nice facilities, would show commitment, apppreciable fan support, and reasonable travel for much of the BE.

The Liberty Bowl Chairman may be right in that ECU would bring in more fans than much of what is already in the BE.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

CBSSports blog article(previously posted in another thread)with comments from BE Commish and PAC 12 Commish regarding possibility of a 7th Playoff/bowl game at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... e-and-well

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that an ESPN/BE tv deal is unlikely prior to next months expected open bidding.Link at http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ng-sources

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I find this line to be the most telling about this conference:

Quote:
Aresco has said the league also will add another football-only member by at least 2015.

The ones they want keep saying no or are getting sat on by good old politics.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:40 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Quote:
Aresco has said the league also will add another football-only member by at least 2015.

At this point, ECU seems like a slam dunk, since it's a FB only spot. They could slip into a SoCon spot is Charleston officially joined the CAA. Maybe even a reunion with the CAA if they added a 12th school.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Quote:

At this point, ECU seems like a slam dunk, since it's a FB only spot. They could slip into a SoCon spot is Charleston officially joined the CAA. Maybe even a reunion with the CAA if they added a 12th school.

ECU shouldn't take it if it isn't all-sports. I'm sure UL and UoC will be fine with ECU football, but just extending the football invite is like a hockey facewash. They're big-leaguing the Pirates.

Sad thing is, even with the Big East being as close to gutted as it can be, there's still enough hatred to keep certain institutions out of the conference.

This should be a no-brainer. ECU, USM, or UMass. All of them make sense for this conference.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:39 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Quinn wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:

Quote:

ECU shouldn't take it if it isn't all-sports. I'm sure UL and UoC will be fine with ECU football, but just extending the football invite is like a hockey facewash. They're big-leaguing the Pirates.

Sad thing is, even with the Big East being as close to gutted as it can be, there's still enough hatred to keep certain institutions out of the conference.

This should be a no-brainer. ECU, USM, or UMass. All of them make sense for this conference.

Thing is, ECU showed their hand awhile ago in implying they would accept FB only membership, even back when it was 8 schools. Wouldn't think that anything has changed, being that CUSA has lost more schools in the process.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

There is no doubt that ECU has a well-supported program in terms of fan base. They turn out for games, and travel well to bowls.
That is a big plus.

However, Aresco and others may be thinking in terms of how the 14-member confernece lays out, and would split into divisions.
I was relieved that at one of his most recent press moments, he seemed to reject "the zipper' and was thinking in terms of East-West.

The lynchpin to the division alignment is where team #14 and where Memphis go.
If Memphis wants to be aligned with Louisville and Cincy, then it seems to suggest adding a western team.
If it is a western school, both the BE and the school may mutually think that a FB only arrangement is best:

West East
SDSU UConn
Boise St. Rutgers
BYU* / USAFA* (#14) Temple
SMU Navy
Houston Cincinnati
USF Louisville
UCF Memphis

Say you wanted ECU (they could be all-sports team #18):
West East
SDSU UConn
Boise St. Rutgers
SMU Temple
Houston Navy
Memphis ECU*
Louisville UCF
Cincinnati USF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:39 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tute79 wrote:
There is no doubt that ECU has a well-supported program in terms of fan base. They turn out for games, and travel well to bowls.
That is a big plus.

However, Aresco and others may be thinking in terms of how the 14-member confernece lays out, and would split into divisions.
I was relieved that at one of his most recent press moments, he seemed to reject "the zipper' and was thinking in terms of East-West.

The lynchpin to the division alignment is where team #14 and where Memphis go.
If Memphis wants to be aligned with Louisville and Cincy, then it seems to suggest adding a western team.
If it is a western school, both the BE and the school may mutually think that a FB only arrangement is best:

West East
SDSU UConn
Boise St. Rutgers
BYU* / USAFA* (#14) Temple
SMU Navy
Houston Cincinnati
USF Louisville
UCF Memphis

Say you wanted ECU (they could be all-sports team #18):
West East
SDSU UConn
Boise St. Rutgers
SMU Temple
Houston Navy
Memphis ECU*
Louisville UCF
Cincinnati USF

I love the way ECU fits into the division alignment---no silly zipper. If the western schools are off the table I think the clear choice is the pirates. They would definitely be #1 or #2 in terms of attendance. The folks down there really pack into Dowdy-Ficken Stadium.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:

I would certainly agree. The BE did this re-built eastern concept only partly, bringing back Temple, adding UCF, and anticipating Navy fb.

I suppose Memphis, SMU, and Houston are OK too, for all-sports since the BE was pursing a divisional model.

I believe Boise State fb and SDSU fb were over-reach. It looks too tentative and more of the isolated and remote pocket, here and there, rather than a valued "national scope" mantra.

Had the BE kept it "largely east focused", using the term "east" liberally, with their expansion, would the BE be in a more troublesome situation, financial and otherwise, compared to their current situation? I think not. For mid-major bowl appeal, certain regional TV pickups', and for cultivating new and renewed rivalries, a more eastern focus could prove better for the long-run.

Outside the military service academies, seeking fb-onlies is something the BE should have considered stopped doing. Anyway one puts it, it's much a C-USA do-over.

EAST DIVISION:

UCONN
UMASS
Temple
Rutgers
Navy (fb)
Louisville
Cincy

SOUTH DIVISION:

USF
UCF
USM
ECU
Memphis
Houston
SMU

They can do divisions anyway they want. I am basically saying, rather than having added BSU & SDSU fb; preferred adding instead, all-sports Southern Miss., ECU & UMASS.

Uhhh though, they'd need to figure out the 20-team bb stuff, but could work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Someone on this board suggested that Boise State has a reduced $ buy-out (or exit fee) from the BE, if the TV contract doesn't deliver a certain revenue.
IF this is true, presumably SDSU has the same deal....

I think the MWC is sitting at 10 for FB, hoping those 2 decide to bail out of BE football.
In fact the MWC might entice them by offerring to refund the MWC exit fee to apply to their BE exit fee (if both were to return to the MWC).

If those 2 were to leave, I think the BE would abort the "western US concept" (which may have been Marinatto's baby) and look to replace them with teams like:
Army, UMass, ECU, etc.

How many of the All-sports members truly value the 7 Catholic schools at this point ?
I think the further Northeast you go, the stronger those ties.... UConn, Temple (Villanova not withstanding), Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville.
The other schools such as UCF, USF, Memphis, Houston, SMU (in my mind) may not view the Catholic non-FB schools as adding a lot to the party.
At some point, when the vast majority of TV $$$$ comes from football, maybe they'll mutually agree to a split.
Splitting seems to be the answer to the problem of the Olympic sports league becoming too large.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 270, 271, 272, 273, 274, 275, 276 ... 350  Next