NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:47 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Blog article out of Boise(previously posted in another thread)with comments from BE Commish regarding several topics at http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/1 ... gotiations

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

It seems as though Aresco is making some good moves, particularly with respect to divisional realignment. It's just that the lineup of schools is not particularly attractive to TV.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Who knows, now. If the Big East had an additional in on the system, it would have swayed AFA. Now, moving from the MWC to the Big East would be about the same as moving to the MAC or just staying put. The MWC is still a good conference with whom AFA has good relations with many of its members. Navy is on the schedule regardless, and whatever good pieces remain in the Big East are calling their contacts in other major conferences to get a share. By the time AFA were to join, the Big East that first approached them in '10 would look so dramatically different than the one entered. It's just not worth it.

If they do, it would be one of the biggest head-scratchers in football history...you turn down talks with the Big XII to do football in a commuter school league? Naw, I don't want Texas...give me Memphis! :?

As for the political matters clearly setting up the divisions, yes, Louisville is a part of it, but so is Cincinnati, and also likely DePaul, Marquette, and Villanova. I think we're seeing why conferences like the Great Midwest, Metro, and old C-USA never endured. Everyone has a feature-star mentality in an ensemble show.

AFA said they wouldn't be able to compete at the level of the other schools in the B12 and that would hurt recruiting. They can in the BE, and have said no to them once.
If AFA is out you know Fresno will say yes. Really the only western options BYU, AFA, Fresno

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:22 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If BYU turns the BE down and the invite falls to Air Force I think they are going to finally see the writing on the wall and the necessity of taking the invite--if the Falcons don't take it then another MWC school will (likely Fresno St). Of Air Force's old "Gang of Five" buddies the only ones left are Colorado St and Wyoming. Air Force could find themselves in a diminished MWC consisting of:

Air Force
Colorado St
Wyoming
New Mexico
Utah St
UNLV
Nevada
San Jose St

Like I said before, if they want to preserve rivalries with the Rams and Cowboys they can easily schedule them out-of-conference along with Army.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:13 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that Big Ten is in negotiations with Maryland with a "possible"announcement as early as Monday.If this occurs,article says that Rutgers would join the Big Ten as number 14.Link at http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

From the Big Ten thread.
Fresno St. Alum wrote:
How bad does the loss of UConn and Rutgers hurt the BE deal, I think pretty bad. They need to have signed days months years ago, there isn't going to be anyone left when they finally get it signed. So will they just add 1 western school for 12 or 3 total schools to get to 14, like ECU, AFA, Fresno?

In all seriousness, when is enough enough? If I'm Boise State/San Diego State I bail since Louisville and Cinncy are the only real positives left in the Big East and they are ripe for the poaching if/when the Big 12 ever decides to expand. If they go back to the MWC and convince BYU to also come back along with a UTEP, Montana or at worst NMSU; that conference would as relevant as a Big East with UL, UC, Temple, Memphis, Navy, the #6/7 Texas schools, #4/5 Florida schools, and then possibly ECU, Marshall, and Army.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:35 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

If this Big Ten rumor is accurate and the Big East loses Rutgers and UConn does the Big East finally break? This would leave the Big East with only one football school, Temple, in the original northeastern conference footprint. There would literally be nothing left bonding the football and basketball factions and it would be pointless for them to stay together. Not to mention this could cause the Big 12 to get nervous and expand as well. We could very well have an all Catholic Big East and a true C-USA 2.0 made up of:

Cincinnati
Louisville
Memphis
Houston
Southern Methodist
South Florida
Central Florida
Temple (football only, stays with the Northeastern Catholic schools)
Navy (football only)
East Carolina
+ western football only members

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

All this action going on and Quinn is out of the loop, he got hitched yesterday, in Chile I think.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
All this action going on and Quinn is out of the loop, he got hitched yesterday, in Chile I think.

Yeah saw it on his twitter (Congrats if you read this Quinn) this will make an interesting off season with the future ACC additions (probably adding UConn) Big East additions/defections which could bleed over to CUSA/MWC to SBC to FCS.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I gotta admit that this story snuck on me, a MD resident. Hardly any strong rumors up to Friday. I don't think the general UMD family is in favor of it, but $$$$ talk.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Boise discussing reports of Big Ten membership talks with schools like Maryland and Rutgers and possible future impact on the Big East at http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/11/1 ... g-big.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:40 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

tkalmus wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

Yeah saw it on his twitter (Congrats if you read this Quinn) this will make an interesting off season with the future ACC additions (probably adding UConn) Big East additions/defections which could bleed over to CUSA/MWC to SBC to FCS.

Thanks! I'm in the loop...always have the iPhone on me. Just no need to post until movement really started...now we know: monday morning 9am meeting in Maryland.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
I gotta admit that this story snuck on me, a MD resident. Hardly any strong rumors up to Friday. I don't think the general UMD family is in favor of it, but $$$$ talk.

What makes one think that the Univ. of MD may indeed go to the B1G is that the B1G is a conference that holds such matters close to the vest and is not prone to risk public rejection. They went through such when courting ND a few times. It may be more in tune when Penn State was added, though the Nebraska addition was a result of a declared search with some drama put forth.

Hear ya Westwolf, there are also reports of some Maryland-related figures and interests wanting to remain in the ACC, particularly as it relates to basketball.

True, the potential added revenue involved may tip the official decision.

As to the BE, the bb schools should once and for all, declare enough is enough, and ask themselves why have they let this disruption go on for years? But watch 'em, they'll add ECU, maybe Marshall, whomever, in an effort to appear plausible for fb. There would be little marquee fb to feature, and the best of it would largely be in other regions with no traditional commonality to the Catholic bb schools. Interesting that perhaps soon, schools such as Temple, Cincy, USF & UCF will serve as the new BE all-sports anchors.

-----------

Congrats, Quinn.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article(previously posted in another thread)reporting that Maryland will announce joining Big Ten this afternoon and Rutgers BOG will discuss joining the Big Ten at their meeting today with an announcement expected by tomorrow.Link at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:00 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm going to start some conjecture here as I think that Delany's East Coast television grab is bound to start a chain reaction.

The ACC could very well respond to the loss of Maryland by not only taking UConn but shoring up the legacy of Big East basketball by taking the basketball programs Georgetown (reclaiming DC), Villanova, and St John's to create a 14 team fb conference and 18 team bb conference. This would hopefully keep Florida St and Clemson content and not making overtures to the Big 12.

This leaves the Big East completely decimated to the point that the only way for the remaining programs to survive is declare the Big East dissolved (after collecting checks from the departing members and dividing them up, of course). Marquette, DePaul, Seton Hall, Providence, and possibly Temple as well could regroup in a new conference with the cream of the Atlantic 10. Meanwhile whoever is left among the football schools could found a new league with the best of C-USA, keeping whatever football affiliates they can hold onto.

Regardless of how this plays out, Mike Aresco's job just got a lot harder.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279, 280 ... 350  Next