NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:27 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SJSUFan2010 wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Let's play worst case scenario---the MWC is successful in retaining Boise St and San Diego St and grabs SMU and Houston. What does the Big East do then when their membership is down to:

UConn
Temple
Cincinnati
ECU
UCF
USF
Memphis
Tulane
Navy? (fb only)

Rice and UMass probably for sure. I'd like to see Charlotte and ODU. That's 12 full and either let Navy go or bring on Army FB only as well. If i'm counting right that would be 14 teams in 12 states. Not great market penetration but not terrible either. A solid conference out east whose champ would at least be comparable to the MWC champ. Buffalo and Southern Miss wouldn't be that bad either if they wanted to go bigger. Marshall and UAB would at least make the discussion.

That sounds like the basic pool. Charlotte & ODU (add GA State in there) don't seem very established at the FBS level for this particular jump at this time. Rice is plausible since Tulane is being added. UMass makes sense given the circumstances. Perhaps Northern Illinois could get considered.

The BE could work the above group of mostly old C-USA; focus on building all-sports. Certainly a full second tier adaptation, but could have a clear sense of purpose with largely compatible schools.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

How long does BSU have to make a firm decision?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:16 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

westwolf wrote:
How long does BSU have to make a firm decision?

Good question. Plus, what, if any, would be the cost. I'm fairly sure that there was an exit clause in the contract should the BE lose a certain percentage of their membership. Since that has happens (only 3 all-sport BE schools remain since Temple, #4, joins July 1).

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

One article stated that the BE office is trying to finalize the 2013 FB schedule soon, so they would like to know if BSU (and SDSU) are in or out ASAP.

BSU on the other hand, is on their own time-table. They will say they are officially a BE member, and then drag their feet on a decision until a contractual deadline approaches.
They are becoming rather tiresome with their antics.
I can understand their wanting to move up, and ultimately be in a major conferenece (PAC or maybe Big XII).
The BE was already fading fast, when they made this unholy union with Marinatto.

I would like to see the BSU and SDSU go back to the MWC, Navy go back independent, and the BE become a 10-12 member all-sports conference.
They have that opportunity right now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I agree with tute on Navy, BSU, SdS and eastern lineup.

The BE has already finalized the 2013 schedule. The MWC has not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:09 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:

Correct but both the Big East and MWC are negotiating TV deals (nBE for all the marbles, MWC for 2nd/3rd tier games)

The nBE has submitted a schedule to the networks trying to get its contract while the MWC is still at the early stages of negotiating a new 2/3 tier deal with various sports and local networks. I read that the MWC approached the PAC12 about carrying some game on their new regional PAC12 networks which may help them get picked up by Direct TV (similar to the LHN broadcasting some Texas St/UTSA games).

AFA/CSU/WYO/USU and possibily BYU on the Mountain-CU/Utah network (would be great for the CSU/CU and BYU/Utah games)

Fresno/SJSU/Nevada on the Bay Area-Stanford/Cal network, UNLV/Hawaii and possibly SDSU on the LA-USC/UCLA network (would be great for any combo of games between these programs, they play all the time why not take advantage of that)

UNM and possibly the Texas schools on the AZ/ASU network (not a slam dunk but it works)

BSU could be on the OR/OSU AND WA/WSU networks (easy sell the the PAC and BSU, adds more regional exposure and could even be an excuse to give Boise a bump in the TV money that sweetens the pot so to speak)

Ideally they'd like to get BSU and SDSU in before they start talking numbers but until they have a plan in place the door is open for BSU to return immediately. That being said if Boise waits until April or later I could see the Big East having some real cause to pursue additional legal action against them, so I think the questions isn't how long does Boise have, but rather how long until they feel that they cannot make the move without significant legal action against them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:54 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

tkalmus wrote:
westwolf wrote:

Correct but both the Big East and MWC are negotiating TV deals (nBE for all the marbles, MWC for 2nd/3rd tier games)

The nBE has submitted a schedule to the networks trying to get its contract while the MWC is still at the early stages of negotiating a new 2/3 tier deal with various sports and local networks. I read that the MWC approached the PAC12 about carrying some game on their new regional PAC12 networks which may help them get picked up by Direct TV (similar to the LHN broadcasting some Texas St/UTSA games).

AFA/CSU/WYO/USU and possibily BYU on the Mountain-CU/Utah network (would be great for the CSU/CU and BYU/Utah games)

Fresno/SJSU/Nevada on the Bay Area-Stanford/Cal network, UNLV/Hawaii and possibly SDSU on the LA-USC/UCLA network (would be great for any combo of games between these programs, they play all the time why not take advantage of that)

UNM and possibly the Texas schools on the AZ/ASU network (not a slam dunk but it works)

BSU could be on the OR/OSU AND WA/WSU networks (easy sell the the PAC and BSU, adds more regional exposure and could even be an excuse to give Boise a bump in the TV money that sweetens the pot so to speak)

Ideally they'd like to get BSU and SDSU in before they start talking numbers but until they have a plan in place the door is open for BSU to return immediately. That being said if Boise waits until April or later I could see the Big East having some real cause to pursue additional legal action against them, so I think the questions isn't how long does Boise have, but rather how long until they feel that they cannot make the move without significant legal action against them.

Partnering with the Pac 12 regional networks would be a huge coup for both the MWC and the Pac 12. 2nd and 3rd tier rights for MWC games gives those networks far more content and more content means that those channels are more profitable when it comes to advertisement revenue. It also pushes the Pac 12 Networks into new areas--suddenly the Pac 12 Network is a must in places like Las Vegas because that's where UNLV and Nevada games are. Its also a win-win for the Pac 12 because any time a Pac 12 school schedules a home-and-home or 2-for-1 with a MWC school the Pac 12 Network still ends up with the rights to air the game.

If the MWC can get them on board, they should also think about selling Tier 2 and 3 rights for the Texas schools separately and work with ESPN to get them on the Longhorn Network.

Last edited by fighting muskie on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

All of our games except the Weber St. game were on CBS Sports, NBC sports or Comcast Bay Area. So I don't get shopping us to them, since we already had a few conf games on that channel.

We also played Oregon on Pac12 net, but I don't get that channel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Fresno St. Alum wrote:
All of our games except the Weber St. game were on CBS Sports, NBC sports or Comcast Bay Area. So I don't get shopping us to them, since we already had a few conf games on that channel.

FSA, am a bit surprised the Pac12 net, is not yet deeply ingrained in most of Calif.

OK, you gotta be close to the Sierra Nevada Mountains; tell me, sorta seriously, have you seen a Bigfoot?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Fresno St. Alum wrote:

FSA, am a bit surprised the Pac12 net, is not yet deeply ingrained in most of Calif.

OK, you gotta be close to the Sierra Nevada Mountains; tell me, sorta seriously, have you seen a Bigfoot?

I live in Reedley it's 30 min to the Sierras. I have a good buddy that's 6'5" 390 lbs. That's the closest.

I have directv so that's why it isn't, I didn't MTN either when the MWC had that, it was on the sports pack. Pac12 isn't even on that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

SBD article discussing possibility of fight over rights to Big East name at http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... -East.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The departing bb schools want to retain the BE name, and continue the MSG tourney arrangement. The rest shall be about settling revenue issues and the official departure times.

The official BE of what would be technically left (Cincy, UCONN, & USF) would seek to hold the BE name as a negotiation tool for whatever positives could be extracted. Yet, they (all-sports) may prefer an agreement that gives them the opportunity to embark on a refreshing new name.

Here's a factor that plays into the negotiating activity. The remaining all-sports schools could well win the BE name fight which most experts view the advantage in arguments are theirs; then, later re-name the conference after their new configuration is settled. Though the all-sports schools would RETIRE the BE name, they could still retain the legal rights to the name. Therefore, the new conference of bb schools, who would have to call themselves something different in the meantime, would not have the right to re-name themselves the Big East without the granting of the right to the name by the other party.

Could a new conference, for example, call themselves the "Southwest Conference", though the organization was dissolved? Rice, Houston, TCU, and SMU (remaining members) must have filed court documents to officially disband, if nothing else, for protection against further debts and new claims. Maybe the old Metro did something similar. The WAC may end up doing it.

But, the BE name is long-term value for the bb schools, so they will fight for the name, going to great lengths. They'll have to give something in return, other than promised bb games which the all-sports school may not seek or need. Thus, it shall be a dollar amount which Aresco, the Commish of the official BE organization and not the departing crew, is trying to find the medium between the two factions. If he is unable to: courts, where the bb schools could lose if it is just a "straight-up" issue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Could a new conference, for example, call themselves the "Southwest Conference", though the organization was dissolved? Rice, Houston, TCU, and SMU (remaining members) must have filed court documents to officially disband, if nothing else, for protection against further debts and new claims. Maybe the old Metro did something similar. The WAC may end up doing it.

I read this in Texas Monthly a few years back....

The Southwest Conference wasn't dissolved exactly; after Arky left for the SEC, UT/A&M/Baylor/TxTech left for the Big12, and Houston left for CUSA, TCU/SMU/Rice left together for the WAC and had an agreement that retained the rights to the SWC name between the three of them as long as they stayed together.

When TCU left the WAC and Rice/SMU for the CUSA they lost their claim to the name leaving it with Rice and SMU who currently still hold its rights. (and neither TCU or UH re-gained any claim to the SWC name when Rice/SMU joined CUSA)

But now SMU is leaving CUSA for the Big East w/o Rice, so I wonder if Rice is the sole owner of the name...I assume something similar may happen between UConn/Cincy/USF if the Big East is retired and not sold before the new member arrive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:48 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Looks like Boise St is gone and San Diego St is likely to follow. Seems like the Big East should scrap divisional play for 2013 and just play 8 conference games a piece with the 10 members they have, with each school missing one member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So who does the BE add? I figure Navy is probably out too. S.Miss and Tulsa to BE? UTSA and Tulsa? Do they add 4?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294, 295 ... 350  Next