NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 346  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The America 12 ??? Did the U.S. National Cricket Team change its name?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article reporting that ND and BE has reached deal to allow them to leave 7-1-2013.Official announcement expected by this noon.Link at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Brett McMurphy article reporting that ND and BE has reached deal to allow them to leave 7-1-2013.Official announcement expected by this noon.Link at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ource-says

A nice early, no-fee exit for ND, just so ND does not try to claim a portion of the exit fees of others?

Also USA Today (3/12/13) in their sports cover story of the changed BE had the following highlighted quote from the ND bb coach"

"Sometimes, I want to ask, "Which football caveman did this to basketball? Can you tell me? I just would like to know.'"

Why didn't the writer tell Mr. Brey to ask his own bosses about the key role ND played in the changed and diminished BE? Where was ND's football cavemen when the BE needed them?

Notre Dame projecting blame about their playhouse falling apart, and the media carrying the message without all the due realism, is nothing new.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
freaked4collegefb wrote:

A nice early, no-fee exit for ND, just so ND does not try to claim a portion of the exit fees of others?

Also USA Today (3/12/13) in their sports cover story of the changed BE had the following highlighted quote from the ND bb coach"

"Sometimes, I want to ask, "Which football caveman did this to basketball? Can you tell me? I just would like to know.'"

Why didn't the writer tell Mr. Brey to ask his own bosses about the key role ND played in the changed and diminished BE? Where was ND's football cavemen when the BE needed them?

Notre Dame projecting blame about their playhouse falling apart, and the media carrying the message without all the due realism, is nothing new.

The Cavemen were Notre Dame wanting its own deal w/ NBC and Penn St. wanting to join the B1G by getting rid of the CFA. Now we are here, started by that 1st domino.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:11 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Brett McMurphy article discussing finalization of BE FB/ESPN tv deal and what happens if that league would lose more schools at http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ng-sources

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Waiting for confernece TBD to pull the trigger on ECU full membership + Tulsa (needs to happen by June 30th, 2013 for them to be in football league by 2014.).
Louisville / Rutgers on board for 2013, then they leave.
ECU football comes on board in fall 2014 (what do they do with their other sports ?) - gives them 10 FB teams.
Tulsa could enter in 2015 with Navy FB -> 12.
Sort of expect Tulsa to begin play in 2014.

Anyway, I guess the BE's next move is to bring the new guys into a
meeting and discuss the $100 million
(how much do UConn, Cincy, USF each take out, how much do they leave in the conference treasury,
how much do Temple, UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, ECU each get MINUS what is their ConfTBD entrance fee,
then set the deal for ECU other sports, Tulsa, and Navy FB.

Maybe this stuff doesn't get discussed until March Madness is over with.
I would hope the new guys get a voice in the choosing of a new conference name.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Waiting for confernece TBD to pull the trigger on ECU full membership + Tulsa (needs to happen by June 30th, 2013 for them to be in football league by 2014.).
ECU football comes on board in fall 2014 (what do they do with their other sports ?) - gives them 10 FB teams.

(how much do UConn, Cincy, USF each take out, how much do they leave in the conference treasury,
how much do Temple, UCF, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, ECU each get MINUS what is their ConfTBD entrance fee,

If East Carolina plans to join for football in 2014, its other sports should join the new Big East. And UMass should also be a great candidate for expansion.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

If East Carolina plans to join for football in 2014, its other sports should join the new Big East. And UMass should also be a great candidate for expansion.

Tulsa is the school that has been in the lead. Not a bad addition. But based on the geography, I think there are future better options. Take ODU for example. Close to ECU, Navy, Temple...a good fit for the region. But they are too green. Figure that schools like ODU and UMass have time to improve and Dan take over for the next 2 departures.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Tulsa is the school that has been in the lead. Not a bad addition. But based on the geography, I think there are future better options. Take ODU for example. Close to ECU, Navy, Temple...a good fit for the region. But they are too green. Figure that schools like ODU and UMass have time to improve and Dan take over for the next 2 departures.

And about ECU might join the New Big East for its other sports, would it be a possibility?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Quinn wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

And about ECU might join the New Big East for its other sports, would it be a possibility?

One of the main reasons the basketball schools split from the conference in the first place is because they didn't want to be associated with the schools they were bringing in (which is why ECU only got a football invite in the first place). I'd consider it an extreme longshot to near impossibility for ECUs non football sports to join the nBE.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

richmole wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Quinn wrote:
ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
tute79 wrote:

One of the main reasons the basketball schools split from the conference in the first place is because they didn't want to be associated with the schools they were bringing in (which is why ECU only got a football invite in the first place). I'd consider it an extreme longshot to near impossibility for ECUs non football sports to join the nBE.

I see. But then which conference would be ideal for ECU to join for its other sports while becoming a football-only member of the old Big East (which name has yet to be decided)?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Aresco has stated that he expects ECU's other sports to be invited.

True, they are not world-beaters in BB. However, the other main reason their other sports were not invited at the time they got a FB only invitation was, ECU would then have
become the 17th BB school in the league (considered an unwieldy number). Since the Catholic 7 are gone, that is no longer an issue.

Aresco has been asked about this, and if there wer much doubt, he would have given a "no comment", which he did NOT.

I think the hold-up has been sorting out financials.... first, how the Catholic 7 (to be Big East) and the Conf. TBD will split the $110 million (resolved: $10 m : $100 m).
Next, how the $100 m will be split up (how much will UConn, USF, Cincy grab) - not yet resolved;
what will be terms for sharing the rest with new schools and what are terms regarding entrance fees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:38 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:

True, they are not world-beaters in BB. However, the other main reason their other sports were not invited at the time they got a FB only invitation was, ECU would then have
become the 17th BB school in the league (considered an unwieldy number). Since the Catholic 7 are gone, that is no longer an issue.

Aresco has been asked about this, and if there wer much doubt, he would have given a "no comment", which he did NOT.

I think the hold-up has been sorting out financials.... first, how the Catholic 7 (to be Big East) and the Conf. TBD will split the $110 million (resolved: $10 m : $100 m).
Next, how the $100 m will be split up (how much will UConn, USF, Cincy grab) - not yet resolved;
what will be terms for sharing the rest with new schools and what are terms regarding entrance fees.

I expect you are correct on this. As noted earlier, the A12/nBE does not want to complicate matters further regarding claims and disbursements until all the related fiscal issues get resolved.

IMO, it would be foolish not to include ECU for all-sports. ECU students and fans show for games, including certain sports external to fb. They have a good baseball program. While ECU is not noted for basketball, there is solid potential, if given better accesses and exposure. Their facilities are worthy.
Their location could turn into being a real plus in the context of conference exposure. ECU would appear to be more oriented for the long-term, unlike two or three others in the re-developed conference.

Outside perhaps of the Navy (SAs') fb-only deal, this assembled group needs to banish pursing the disrupting hybrid designs in their future plans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:

It's politics. What's pitiful is that this new "Big East" (the CYO's) has essentially gotten everything it wants, while the shell of the old entity (the REAL Big East), are full of bitter lame-ducks who aren't going to do a thing.

I'm pretty sure ECU could be a done deal for this upcoming AY...I'm equally certain UL and Rutgers won't let that happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mark Blaudschun blog article discussing new BE FB name and ECU situation at http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=6023

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313, 314 ... 346  Next