NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:24 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 ... 343  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ESPN article reporting that AAC and Rutgers have announced a settlement to their exit fee lawsuit at http://espn.go.com/new-york/college-spo ... -leave-aac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:14 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I think it is only a matter of time before the MAC gets raided. Schools with the brands and resources of Ohio and Buffalo have no business playing with Eastern Michigan and Bowling Green.

Ohio and Buffalo together to join the AAC is increasingly intriguing me. Buffalo is starting to brand themselves as New York at Buffalo while Ohio far and away may have a bigger fanbase than the rest of the MAC combined. :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ucfknation wrote:
I think it is only a matter of time before the MAC gets raided. Schools with the brands and resources of Ohio and Buffalo have no business playing with Eastern Michigan and Bowling Green.

Ohio and Buffalo together to join the AAC is increasingly intriguing me. Buffalo is starting to brand themselves as New York at Buffalo while Ohio far and away may have a bigger fanbase than the rest of the MAC combined. :shock:

Maybe so. But have any of those schools had any recent success within the past few years on at least one sport?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:46 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Yeah, Ohio was just in the Sweet 16 in 2012 in hoops. They lost to UNC in OT. They beat Georgetown a year or two before that also. Their hoops team alone is worth picking up. I guess football is holding them back even though they have Frank Solich?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ucfknation wrote:
Yeah, Ohio was just in the Sweet 16 in 2012 in hoops. They lost to UNC in OT. They beat Georgetown a year or two before that also. Their hoops team alone is worth picking up. I guess football is holding them back even though they have Frank Solich?

Then Ohio would be a great candidate of expansion for the AAC to expand its geographic footprint to the Midwest U.S. How about other sports besides basketball and football?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:42 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I'm from Ohio and, aside from maybe Buffalo, the MAC will hold tight. The MAC has very convenient travel for all the members and Northern Illinois proved a couple seasons ago that the MAC can produce teams that are the best of the Little 5 and gain access to the big bowls. Why sacrifice a good set up for far flung trips to Florida and Texas?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

What about Buffalo and UMass to the AAC for all sports? Would UConn object or would they welcome the semi-close travel partners and rivalries?
That would put UConn, Temple, Buffalo, and UMass in one sector...with Cincy and Navy not too far away.
I know, the fb numbers would be at 13, but that hardly ruins things. Especially, if UConn or Cincy decide to leave.

So, is it better to develop close rivalries for UConn and Temple(while grabbing some top quality universities)....or better to select schools more centrally located that would help bring some unity to the conference as a whole(Marshall, Md Tn, WKU or similar)?

Oh, and what about JMU? Are they on the AAC's short list?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:10 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

mozilla wrote:
What about Buffalo and UMass to the AAC for all sports? Would UConn object or would they welcome the semi-close travel partners and rivalries?
That would put UConn, Temple, Buffalo, and UMass in one sector...with Cincy and Navy not too far away.
I know, the fb numbers would be at 13, but that hardly ruins things. Especially, if UConn or Cincy decide to leave.

So, is it better to develop close rivalries for UConn and Temple(while grabbing some top quality universities)....or better to select schools more centrally located that would help bring some unity to the conference as a whole(Marshall, Md Tn, WKU or similar)?

Oh, and what about JMU? Are they on the AAC's short list?

I honestly don't know if the American is going to try to build a Northeastern presence or not. The majority of the league are ex-C-USA types and I don't know if they will be committed to keeping a flag planted in the region if/when UConn were to move on. At the same time the American strikes me as a league that chases markets so UMass and Buffalo might have some appeal--then again San Antonio, Charlotte, and Atlanta are attractive too and if the schools in those markets can build a reputation on the gridiron I think these places will receive preference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:
I honestly don't know if the American is going to try to build a Northeastern presence or not. The majority of the league are ex-C-USA types and I don't know if they will be committed to keeping a flag planted in the region if/when UConn were to move on. At the same time the American strikes me as a league that chases markets so UMass and Buffalo might have some appeal--then again San Antonio, Charlotte, and Atlanta are attractive too and if the schools in those markets can build a reputation on the gridiron I think these places will receive preference.

I doubt that there will be any Northeastern presence on a conference within the FBS level, unless that said region can expand a bit from the Mid-Atlantic or Upper South Atlantic (states like Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, D.C. Virginia).

The only level that's well-applied based on what I mentioned earlier is the FCS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

The AAC wants to build its tv contract.
It will 10 members for football as of the 2014 season.
They will all be all-sports members.
In 2015 with the addition of Navy as a football only member the AAC will have 11 football members and 10 all sports members.
The best that the AAC could do for tv is to add Army as a football member,that would give the AAC a playoff game and its members the army/Navy game.

Beyond that UMass and its good bb program,new hc for football its expanded 25k football stadium would be SUNY Buffalo.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:59 pm 
Junior
Junior

How about this: AAC adds U.Mass, Buffalo, Ohio U., and Northern Illinois? Does this sound like it has a heart beat to anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:26 am 
Senior
Senior

Its possible however they are going to at 11 in 2015 .Thus they will take 1 or 3 not 4 schools.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ctx48c wrote:
The AAC wants to build its tv contract.
It will 10 members for football as of the 2014 season.
They will all be all-sports members.
In 2015 with the addition of Navy as a football only member the AAC will have 11 football members and 10 all sports members.
The best that the AAC could do for tv is to add Army as a football member,that would give the AAC a playoff game and its members the army/Navy game.

Beyond that UMass and its good bb program,new hc for football its expanded 25k football stadium would be SUNY Buffalo.

Correction, for the 2014 season, the AAC will have 11 football-sponsoring all-sports members:

Continuing: UConn, UCF, Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, SMU, USF, Temple
Joining: Tulane, East Carolina, Tulsa
Leaving: Louisville (to ACC), Rutgers (to Big TEN)

And with the addition of Navy, it would be 12 football schools ("enough" to sponsor a CCG), which of the 11 are full members.

But in case the AAC loses members (like UConn or Cincinnati or both) to "Power 5" conferences, then the AAC (like the Sun Belt) must act on finding expansion candidate, like UMass and Buffalo and Ohio for exampl.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:17 am 
Senior
Senior

Without some huge incentive....Ohio won't leave their other instate rivals.

I could see N. Illinois leaving for the AAC without too much hassle.

Is the goal for the AAC to be in a north/south division...or...and east/west division? Because with schools stretching from Texas to Florida to Connecticut....I feel the goal should be to cut the travel...not increase it. And N. Illinois might be increasing travel a bit too much, but so would Buffalo...so, who knows?
Sure is a spread out conference. :?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:55 am 
Freshman
Freshman

The incentive for Ohio is basketball. They have a nice arena. Playing UConn, Cincinnati, Temple and Memphis is a major upgrade for them in basketball and for exposure in general. It would easily be worth the increased travel.
As far as in-state rivals, I think they would be very happy to play Cincinnati. That is an upgrade for them. They are already scheduled to play them in football in the future and have some history with them in hoops fairly recently.
I have no clue how good Ohio is in sports outside football and basketball.

Adding some combination of Buffalo, Ohio, UMass and NIU (Chicago market!) would be nice. I think Ohio and Buffalo are the keys. UMass football and NIU basketball simply are not good enough yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 ... 343  Next