NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 343  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Most of these are dream scenario guys...
Davidson/Dayton are in the Pioneer which is a no scholarships conference
The Patriot League had no scholarships until recently which Fordham pushed for although I beleive but (if I'm remembering corrrectly) they still only have partial scholarships at this time.
Georgetown, also in the Patriot League, has no scholarships last I checked.
Duquesne is in the NEC, which is partial scholarships.
Rhode Island, in the CAA, considered dropping to the NEC and partial scholarships a few years back so unlikely to upgrade to full FBS 85.
Villanova passed on the opportunity to upgrade, and most would assume it isn't planning on doing FBS anymore as peer pressure from the Big East would likely stop them from doing so (also the same reaosn Richmond/Duquesne won't upgrade as the Big East is their conference goal).

If any conference was to upgrade the CAA would be the best bet IMO, as they have at least 3 schools that could/have expressed some interest.

JMU, Towson, UDel, maybe Elon + EKU, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, & UMass

W&M join the Patriot as a full member, and Villanova & Richmond join as fb onlys.

American East takes over sposorship for FCS with Maine, New Hampshire, Stoney Brook, Albany, and Rhode Island grab Monmouth, Cen Conn St, Wagner/Bryant/Youngstown State.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:19 pm 
Senior
Senior

tkalmus wrote:
Most of these are dream scenario guys...
Davidson/Dayton are in the Pioneer which is a no scholarships conference
The Patriot League had no scholarships until recently which Fordham pushed for although I beleive but (if I'm remembering corrrectly) they still only have partial scholarships at this time.
Georgetown, also in the Patriot League, has no scholarships last I checked.
Duquesne is in the NEC, which is partial scholarships.
Rhode Island, in the CAA, considered dropping to the NEC and partial scholarships a few years back so unlikely to upgrade to full FBS 85.
Villanova passed on the opportunity to upgrade, and most would assume it isn't planning on doing FBS anymore as peer pressure from the Big East would likely stop them from doing so (also the same reaosn Richmond/Duquesne won't upgrade as the Big East is their conference goal).

If any conference was to upgrade the CAA would be the best bet IMO, as they have at least 3 schools that could/have expressed some interest.

JMU, Towson, UDel, maybe Elon + EKU, Liberty, Coastal Carolina, & UMass

W&M join the Patriot as a full member, and Villanova & Richmond join as fb onlys.

American East takes over sposorship for FCS with Maine, New Hampshire, Stoney Brook, Albany, and Rhode Island grab Monmouth, Cen Conn St, Wagner/Bryant/Youngstown State.

Youre right, thanks for bringing us back to reality! Back to the topic of Massachusetts to the AAC...I dont see it happening anytime soon. A valid point brought up is their lack of a stadium. Thats pretty major. Also, having a recently upgraded football team to FBS makes it difficult to compete with the likes of Cincinnati, South Florida, Houston, etc. in the AAC. They were better off in the MAC (still weren't a title threat.) If the MAC was too much travelling, then CUSA would be out of the question. Sun Belt is fairly distant too with lesser quality.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
Youre right, thanks for bringing us back to reality! Back to the topic of Massachusetts to the AAC...I dont see it happening anytime soon. A valid point brought up is their lack of a stadium. Thats pretty major. Also, having a recently upgraded football team to FBS makes it difficult to compete with the likes of Cincinnati, South Florida, Houston, etc. in the AAC. They were better off in the MAC (still weren't a title threat.) If the MAC was too much travelling, then CUSA would be out of the question. Sun Belt is fairly distant too with lesser quality.

From Boston to Houston or DFW or Tulsa it's about 3-3.5 hrs.
From Boston to Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Indianapolis it's about 2-2.5 hrs.

So yes when you think about it quickly the travel issue doesn't make much sense, however when you consider that the MAC only has 1 true metro school (w/i an hour of a major airport) in Buffalo, and the AAC only has 1 non metro school in ECU, you basically make it a wash when you add a hour to every MAC trip for busing.

Add in the availability of flights to and from these smaller cities and cost/availability of hotel rooms in small Ohio/Michigan towns versus major metros areas and you can see how it's easier on school officials to schedule trip to SMU/Houston over Ohio/Western Michigan(both about 2 hrs away from a major airport).

Multiply that cost/headache for all sports and you can see why the AAC would be preferable to the MAC before you even consider the weaker MAC fb, bb, tv$ and their rivalry with Temple/UConn.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:02 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
UMass may be P.O.ed at Temple for their current situation.

I certainly hope Temple does right by them in the near future, but that would mean Temple actually has leverage, which they don't. So, who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows?

tkalmus wrote:
So yes when you think about it quickly the travel issue doesn't make much sense...

Cheap flights aren't that cheap. And while football might cover some of those travel costs, soccer, baseball, tennis, track, women's volleyball, and golf put them right back into the red. It's no surprise Temple cut their baseball and track...shipping kids to Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Oklahoma? No way.

To some extent, it's kind of dumb for UMass to chase after Temple and UConn in the AAC. It's not viable for them.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:24 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tkalmus wrote:
So yes when you think about it quickly the travel issue doesn't make much sense...

Cheap flights aren't that cheap. And while football might cover some of those travel costs, soccer, baseball, tennis, track, women's volleyball, and golf put them right back into the red. It's no surprise Temple cut their baseball and track...shipping kids to Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Oklahoma? No way.

To some extent, it's kind of dumb for UMass to chase after Temple and UConn in the AAC. It's not viable for them.

Don't disagree, but the issue was which is better travel for them AAC or MAC, and my point was that its about a wash between those two options NOT that either option was better than their current setup as an A10 member/fb only MAC.

Their setup in the A10 is pretty nice even with StL/Dayton as those are near major airports. But the question is, is being a fb only member in the Sun Belt or a FBS Independent feasible in the long term?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:57 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tkalmus wrote:
Their setup in the A10 is pretty nice even with StL/Dayton as those are near major airports. But the question is, is being a fb only member in the Sun Belt or a FBS Independent feasible in the long term?

Basketball has a flexible revenue ceiling, and if a program is doing well, things can be pretty good for them, even if the conference isn't at the top.

Football independence for UMass? The only threat to them is getting enough content in Mass. They could take body-baggers, and while it will pay some of the bills, the recruiting is toast, and don't expect the home games to thrill. Feasibly, because you have an "indy pool" of schools like BYU, Army, and Notre Dame...it's a start. And the Sun Belt has some old CAA buddies...as does CUSA, if that's a possibility. Nothing "great," but there's options.

I still see some midwestern state schools of the B1G variety on that schedule. That's a good way to fill the front of the season. I still think they could have a pulse on the Big Ten radar...even if the academics piece (and football one) isn't fully there. They're up against UConn and maybe BC...I don't hate their odds...but that's also because I don't know if the Big Ten goes further north than State College and New Brunswick.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:54 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tute79 wrote:
The UMass guy in the article was whining about travel in the MAC (primarily Ohio and Michigan), and how that wold be so much worse for Oly Sports than the A-10.
I suppose.....

Did most UMass fans see MAC football as a stepping stone, or was there some belief MAC football was a gateway to full membership? Did they think it was MAC to Big East/AAC, or MAC to CUSA to Big East/AAC?

UMass wanted to join FBS.
Umass wanted to join the Big East.
Big East didn't want them.
MAC offered an invite.
Invitation from a conference was NEEDED to upgrade to FBS.
UMass took the MAC invitation knowing that if Temple left (per the clause), UMass could be kicked out.
UMass took the MAC invitation knowing that when they rejected the full invite, they could be kicked out.
MAC kicked out UMass.
UMass is still in FBS due to the initial FBS invitation.

That is the story. Umass wanted many things, like other schools did, but they didn't happen. But they got the invite to the MAC that allowed them to join FBS. Now they are in FBS and won't be going anywhere for the time being. Sure, the AAC is at the top of the wish list. CUSA next. It won't likely happen anytime soon.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:30 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Northampton with comments from AAC Commish who says that his league is "currently" not interested in expansion at http://www.gazettenet.com/home/11353226 ... -right-now

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:47 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
Now they are in FBS and won't be going anywhere for the time being.

How safe do you think the program is in general?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:37 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Northampton with comments from AAC Commish who says that his league is "currently" not interested in expansion at http://www.gazettenet.com/home/11353226 ... -right-now" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At this point, they may be right. But I hope it won't be lasted forever. Maybe in a few years to come (like 5+), there will be changes, depending with the successes and runs that most schools will try to keep up.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:23 pm 
Senior
Senior

AAC is interested in programs that will enhance it(BYU,Army with Navy,SD St,Fresno St,Boise St for football only)AAC is not interested in UMASS.

CUSA to 16 could consider UMASS and JMU.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:33 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

ctx48c wrote:
AAC is interested in programs that will enhance it(BYU,Army with Navy,SD St,Fresno St,Boise St for football only)AAC is not interested in UMASS.

CUSA to 16 could consider UMASS and JMU.

Regarding your first point, for now, I think we can generally put to bed the idea of western schools joining the AAC. Boise St. and SDSU were set to join but backed out. The AAC has since expanded with Navy, ECU, Tulane and Tulsa. I think it's safe to say that MWC schools aren't all that interested anymore as the MWC is in pretty good shape...and the AAC is not in B5 conferences.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

FBS independents are BYU,Army,Navy(2015 AAC)

Will UMASS succeed in scheduling ?

It seems that as even BYU has some difficulties in scheduling.

After being tossed out of the MAC UMASS will not be welcomed by MAC schools.

That leaves Sun Belt,CUSA and AAC and some P5 schools and a couple of non-FCS schools.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Here's a piece that includes some recent comments from AAC Commissioner Aresco:
"UMass Shouldn't Expect AAC Invite, Per Report"
(NBC Sports, K. McGuire, 3/29/2014)

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... er-report/

Last edited by sec03 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:23 am 
Senior
Senior

Yes UMASS needs to win football games in the next two years in order to get invite.

Also UMASS needs to expand its on-campus facilities and have an on-campus facility that seats 25k+.

UMASS needs to hope ARMY joins the AAC as a football only member.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 332, 333, 334, 335, 336, 337, 338 ... 343  Next