NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 344  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:46 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
I noticed the same thing (4 major conferences ?)

Perhaps he is ruling out UConn joining the PAC-12.

More likely, he's not very "on top of things".....

I'd say the preponderance of the evidence says he likely not very on top of things, however I'm not sure its clear and convincing. Connecticut is definitely in the running for "Race to 16" - whenever that occurs - for the XII, ACC, and B1G. The PAC and SEC are clearly out of the loop for Connecticut. As far as the 4 major conferences, unless someone knows something about Texas that we don't, I hardly see the XII breaking apart. IMO, the XII is obviously the next major conference breakup if there will be one at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I have to wonder if "the big four" are the major conferences with the CCG. It was probably a slip of the tongue, but it could be taken any number of ways.

Still, to say that UConn's basketball (both men's and women's) make less than $11m...that's not going to get them to any table until football starts making much much more.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 4:40 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
I have to wonder if "the big four" are the major conferences with the CCG. It was probably a slip of the tongue, but it could be taken any number of ways.

Still, to say that UConn's basketball (both men's and women's) make less than $11m...that's not going to get them to any table until football starts making much much more.

well if 4x16 is coming

pac adds UT, TT, OU, OSU
big adds UVa, Syracuse? (would UNC leave Duke?)
SEC adds VT, NCSU
ACC adds UConn, WVU, KU, KSU, ISU? (or would Cincy go over ISU? or both 16/17, have to wonder if they add a new div. ACC pushes fb on ND?)

Left out, TCU, Baylor (maybe ISU)

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:12 am 
Senior
Senior

syracuse is not getting into the b10.
It lost its AAU status over a decade ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 11:18 am 
All-Star
All-Star

They withdrew in 2009. UNL was the one who "lost" theirs.

The AAU thing didn't hurt UNL any. Perlman can swear otherwise, but he's full of it. What would have made UNL DOA in the Big Ten was if the Jerry Sandusky thing had been uncovered just two or three years sooner. Then PSU-president Graham Spanier was the Big Ten insider who lobbied hardest for Nebraska. Without Spanier...maybe Nebraska isn't in the Big Ten.

But, I think the Big Ten put itself into a position of critical and political vulnerability when it took Nebraska, Rutgers, and Johns Hopkins. Nebraska's AAU membership had been in question for a decade before it finally got the boot, Rutgers adds nothing to athletics, and the conference doubled down in a state for Johns Hopkins, as well as opening the door for associate membership.

I don't know if the above means Syracuse could "wiggle" into the Big Ten...but for a school like Iowa State and Cincinnati, their cases just got better. It might be windmill-chasing in Illinois, but something's going on there. State politics are the one thing that can make these initiatives flexible. Michigan State could vouch for that.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:08 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

ctx48c wrote:
syracuse is not getting into the b10.
It lost its AAU status over a decade ago.

TBC already corrected your second point.

I think Syracuse is still in it for Big Ten membership.

If the Big Ten can't move South with Virginia, then the East is the best place to expand. They add Rutgers, but Rutgers doesn't carry the NYC market....however Rutgers combined with Syracuse and a school like UConn (along with the other majors player like tOSU, UM & PSU) would solidify the B1G as the conference of the Northeast (as the ACC would only have BC, Pitt, and ND's fans).

Syracuse also has great LAX, and great club hockey (which has been rumored to be moving toward scholarships).

The only other schools the Big Ten might be interested assuming the South (VA/NC & OK/TX) are off the table would be Kansas and obviously ND.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 2:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

There is only one private school in all big 10 sports Northwestern
Its an AAU school.
Johns Hopkins another private AAU school joined the b10 for lacrosse only.
Syracuse is 250 miles from NYC.Its now in the ACC.
private school candidates for the b10 are vanderbilt of the sec or ND of the acc.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:27 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Notre Dame is another one of those dalliances the Big Ten should have been careful about. A private school that isn't in the AAU (and probably never will be) from a state where the Big Ten is already doubly committed. What a FoIA request would expose on that subject that would help the chances of those schools on the outside looking in...

What helps Syracuse is what actually hurts UConn in a way. The Big Ten can have offices in midtown Manhattan and every other borough for that matter...what school has them in New York? To that effect, UConn, the smaller, less prestigious, non-AAU school from the state that's not even half the size of NJ...if Rutgers isn't the gateway into that city and state, UConn's worse off. Syracuse has that "in," but then again, so does Army and Buffalo...or those D1 hockey schools in NY. If UConn ever thinks the Big Ten's going to buzz...it won't be to break contiguity for a smallish non-AAU school with a football stadium 25 miles from its campus and a basketball program(s) that barely break $10m. Syracuse is way ahead of them in virtually every aspect. And if Syracuse is "way off" (I think they are finally where they want to be with the ACC)...where does that leave someone like UConn, who people think is closer?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:57 am 
Senior
Senior

UConn football program,its lack of AAU membership and its location keep UConn out of the B10

Syracuse is part of upper NYS losing population and jobs.
It does have a great tv market
It is not an AAU school.
The B10 does need it.

ND is a special case because of its football program and its tv market appeal.
The B10 would like to get it.
I do not see it joining the B10

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Should the Big TEN keep having plans to discuss about expansion candidates, will it go to the Mid-Atlantic States (i.e.: NJ/PA/NY) and/or Upper South Atlantic States (i.e.: MD/VA/DE/WV)? By the way, Rutgers and Maryland (soon to be B1G full members) are within those respective regions of the U.S. But why not expanding more to the Midwest as well (i.e.: Kansas, Kansas St., Mizzou, Iowa St.)?

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:36 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ncaanopaawaa2000 wrote:
Should the Big TEN keep having plans to discuss about expansion candidates, will it go to the Mid-Atlantic States (i.e.: NJ/PA/NY) and/or Upper South Atlantic States (i.e.: MD/VA/DE/WV)? By the way, Rutgers and Maryland (soon to be B1G full members) are within those respective regions of the U.S. But why not expanding more to the Midwest as well (i.e.: Kansas, Kansas St., Mizzou, Iowa St.)?

Missouri's about the only "rust belt" state not to see the population hit, and it's made sense for the Big Ten to be there for years, even if athletically, they weren't always "worthy." Even now, there still seems to be a cultural and academic bias held against them. I think any conference should want to be there for where the state feeds...so even a MoSU wouldn't be the worst thing in a conference like the AAC, where it bridges the Texas and Oklahoma programs with Cincy and Memphis, who bridge their respective regions.

I wonder if the Big Ten would work with Cornell in ice hockey. Either them or RPI come to mind as the only NY institutions who would probably fill the need in the state. Because the Ivy doesn't sponsor ice hockey, but Cornell still doesn't offer scholarships, even that's a ludicrous thought.

The AAC needs to be in NY, and UConn isn't enough. Be it Army or Buffalo, it puts a flag into a state with a lot of eyes.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

This came up over the weekend...comments from UConn folks about Hartford hosting next year's AAC men's and women's basketball tournament.

Last month (April), it was reported Hartford won next year's hosting duties, Orlando gets the next two (even though six cities put in bids), and Memphis was snubbed. Cincy didn't even put in a bid. I wonder why?

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:19 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Let's say Navy backs out of the American before 2015. Who is everyone's favorite to replace them?

My personal preference is UTSA but I was curious as to what other opinions were floating around.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:21 pm 
Senior
Senior

Umass,Buffalo,N.Ill

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

NIU performance is decent. NIU facilities and attendance? Pass. UMass makes the most sense, but they won't get past UConn. I think there's a bunch of blocks:

UConn blocks UMass
Cincy blocks Ohio and UMOH
ECU blocks Charlotte
Tulane blocks LaTech
Memphis blocks Ark St. and MTSU
directional Floridas block IU and AU
Houston blocks Rice

After Navy, the AAC will, once again, go after BYU, Army, and AFA. After rejection, once again, they go into CUSA and extract USM, UTEP, or maybe ODU (with ECU's support). If there's some thought outside the CUSA, and an actual need for eastern schools, Buffalo's next.

I think Navy, UConn, and Cincy will be gone soon enough. If Navy isn't the first to go outright, they'll be on the heels of someone else. I really don't think they want to be there at all, but have to honor their agreement, even just a little.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 344  Next