NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:38 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:05 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I don't think there is any bad blood between UConn and UMass. They seem, in fact, trying to strengthen their annual football game.
I think it's UConn and BC, that have been at loggerheadds, ever since Calhoun went off on BC when they suddenly jumped form the BE to the ACC.

Cincy has made it known that they want to be in the east division fo FB.
So if Navy were replaced by a team that could take Cincy's place in the West, they would push for that.

Overall, I would like to see Navy and Army packaged (as either independents or FB-only affiliates in the same confernece).
UMass for all sports would fit nicely in the AAC.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 11:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Navy is committed to the Aresco league for 2015

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
I don't think there is any bad blood between UConn and UMass.

It's there. I think they work like Illinois and Missouri, and West Virginia and Maryland do. Or PSU and Temple. Just...don't expect the support or partnership to go everywhere.

The thing those two have in common (UConn and UMass) is that BC hates them both. The three's place among the ranks of D1 conference hierarchy is quite deliberate.

westwolf wrote:

They are at this point, because the AAC will exist in 2015. But I think they have a pretty good escape clause that others, like Boise State, did not. SMH, Boise...

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:28 pm 
Senior
Senior

So lets talk about the upcoming 2014 FB Season. Who you got winning the AAC. UCF has to be the Fav but Cincy and ECU will be right there! Don't be surprised if ECU takes it this year and also gets that Go5 Conference Winner Access Bowl Bid!

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 2:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
So lets talk about the upcoming 2014 FB Season. Who you got winning the AAC. UCF has to be the Fav but Cincy and ECU will be right there! Don't be surprised if ECU takes it this year and also gets that Go5 Conference Winner Access Bowl Bid!

Since there's no division play yet, I gotta go with UCF, even without Louisville in there. But it might be shared with either Cincy and/or ECU, at least for this upcoming season until Navy drops by.

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:48 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Possible slip of the tongue, but Cincinnati's Tommy Tuberville said in a radio interview that the AAC was going to 13.

Standby, Lamar! :P :lol:

(Speculation include the usuals: BYU, Army, and UMass.)

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 4:51 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Possible slip of the tongue, but Cincinnati's Tommy Tuberville said in a radio interview that the AAC was going to 13.

Standby, Lamar! :P :lol:

(Speculation include the usuals: BYU, Army, and UMass.)

LAMAR4EVER! :)

Seriously, how about! BYU football and UMass all sports?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:46 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

hibbett2222 wrote:

UCF is my team. Right now, I can't see us winning the league. I think our defense will keep us in games, but unless one of our QB's really steps up, we will struggle this year. The spring game does not give me much hope. Avoiding Cincy on the schedule is a big plus. Houston on the road will be tough. If we get solid production from our QB, I think we can be competitive against Penn State, Mizzou and BYU. If we are below average at QB, we will probably lose in all 3 of those games. Honestly, if Blake Bortles had returned for his senior season, I would favor us in all 12 of our games. I think we will probably win around 8 games, I set the ceiling at 10 wins. The way our QB situation is I just don't see how we, UCF, proud alumni, can get past Penn State and Mizzou. I also have a great deal of respect for BYU. Don't think we beat them. Maybe the heat will get to them (hoping for a noon kickoff in that one). Just checked the schedule, it's a Thursday game. Probably going to drop that one, but you never know.

I wouldn't be shocked if it is ECU and Cincy for the league crown. I don't see ECU beating either Va Tech or or South Carolina so I don't see an Access Bid for them, but I think they can (not saying they will) beat Cincy. It honestly might come down to ECU vs UCF for the league title. I don't think my Knights will be in it, but ECU could win the crown with a win over UCF in the final game.

I think the top 4 teams are in order: Cincy, ECU, UCF, Houston
My dark horse is USF. A very talented team with a returning starting QB. Never underestimate Willie Tagert.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:35 am 
Senior
Senior

Grouped top, middle, and bottom of the conference based on last year.
New school ECU is strong enough to make the middle or top tier.
New schools Tulane and Tulsa go down with Temple and Memphis as unknowns - show me.
Best guess by me to date.

Top - UCF - Cinn - Houston

Middle - ECU - USF - SMU - UConn

Bottom - Temple - Memphis - Tulane - Tulsa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:26 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I look at Tulsa and Miami-OH (UMOH) as being the little giants of Division 1. Other than the public-private schism and the 14K size differential, they're both good "worker bee" athletic programs. I kind of expect Tulsa to hang around the middle or top of the AAC's football and men's basketball standings, but, like UMOH, I'm sure there are going to be down years. They're a good contributor.

Temple really needs to click in this conference's basketball side. I don't want to think about what happens to their entire athletic department if it stays this bad for more than 2-3 years. Yeah, it's that dire.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:40 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tute79 wrote:

It's there. I think they work like Illinois and Missouri, and West Virginia and Maryland do. Or PSU and Temple. Just...don't expect the support or partnership to go everywhere.

The thing those two have in common (UConn and UMass) is that BC hates them both. The three's place among the ranks of D1 conference hierarchy is quite deliberate.

westwolf wrote:

They are at this point, because the AAC will exist in 2015. But I think they have a pretty good escape clause that others, like Boise State, did not. SMH, Boise...

Yes, there is bad blood between Uconn and UMass. It's been the case for some time. When UMass rose in the 1990's, Uconn wouldn't schedule them. Then, when Calipari left and the program dropped, Uconn had no problems scheduling them. Fast forward to when Umass found success again under Travis Ford and Uconn refused to play Umass again. Same under Kellogg.

So it's bad blood in the sense that as long as UMass is not good at a given time, Uconn will throw them a bone. But when there is a risk of being overshadowed by them, Uconn avoids them.

You'd think Uconn would favor having another regional school with them to solidify the conference. But they don't. It's a petty business and you want the market/region for yourself, you don't want to share. If you're UConn, you'll play UMass since it's an easy W in your mind. But you wouldn't want them in you conference.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
tute79 wrote:

westwolf wrote:

Yes, there is bad blood between Uconn and UMass. It's been the case for some time. When UMass rose in the 1990's, Uconn wouldn't schedule them. Then, when Calipari left and the program dropped, Uconn had no problems scheduling them. Fast forward to when Umass found success again under Travis Ford and Uconn refused to play Umass again. Same under Kellogg.

So it's bad blood in the sense that as long as UMass is not good at a given time, Uconn will throw them a bone. But when there is a risk of being overshadowed by them, Uconn avoids them.

You'd think Uconn would favor having another regional school with them to solidify the conference. But they don't. It's a petty business and you want the market/region for yourself, you don't want to share. If you're UConn, you'll play UMass since it's an easy W in your mind. But you wouldn't want them in you conference.

It makes me wonder how UConn got into Hockey East. The program didn't offer scholarships at the time (they do now, though?), and I have to guess BC didn't want them there. If UMass was cool about it, UConn owes them one. Heck, they owe that whole crew of AE/Yankee schools.

It's beneficial for UConn and Temple to have UMass nearby if those athletic departments expect to float financially. Army football might help a little if the AAC could get them (and now I don't know what happens with Navy going to the west), but dipping back into CUSA at this point, or going to BYU, does nothing for those eastern schools.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Don't wanna jump the gun a bit with the 2015-16 seasons and beyond, but I was wondering if Aresco has officially yet set up the division alignment format yet for the 12 members and their 1st CCG (including fb-only Navy). If so, I would suggest a Red/Blue division format (to make it similar like the ACC's Atlantic/Coastal division format).

AAC Red - Temple, Cincinnati, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, UCF
AAC Blue - UConn, Memphis, Navy, USF, Tulane, ECU

Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:14 am 
Senior
Senior

I understood that the divisions for AAC are as follows:
East:UCONN,Temple,CINN,ECU,UCF,USF
West:Memphis,Tulane,Tulsa,Houston,SMU and Navy(football only)
the 13th member likely to be StLoius or Witchita St for other sports

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ctx48c wrote:
I understood that the divisions for AAC are as follows:
East:UCONN,Temple,CINN,ECU,UCF,USF
West:Memphis,Tulane,Tulsa,Houston,SMU and Navy(football only)
the 13th member likely to be StLoius or Witchita St for other sports

So you're saying that the division format for 2015 and beyond is official. P.S.: You mean 13th member overall, but 12th for non-football all-sports full membership.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341, 342 ... 350  Next