NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:49 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348 ... 350  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:11 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:14 pm
Posts: 1034
Location: Ciales-Manatí-Bayamón, Puerto Rico
The Bishin Cutter wrote:
GAH! No! I couldn't disagree more on either count! :)

A10 aside, were the AAC to lose Cincy, the AAC should go right back into Ohio for either UMOH or OU. Especially if Temple is still there in the conference. You want to be in the PA-NJ-OH-MD swath...it helps with exposure into NY and VA, which is pretty much the northern edge of relevant football territory. While the AAC is sparse up north and east, it's got the proper bases covered (it would be really good, though, if they had Army for additional "saturation").

I feel the AAC could easily lose UConn and survive. It's Cincinnati that makes life a living hell for that conference. It's one of the biggest schools, it's the one with the most comprehensively competitive athletic departments, it's geographically strategic for the connection between the conference's eastern and western fronts, and it's probably the one with the best chances of joining a major conference. And you simply can't replace them. Take Houston out of the AAC, for example, and Rice could be tapped. Directional Florida? Meet FIU and FAU. ECU? Charlotte. Heck, even taking away Navy...ODU still keeps them in the Mid-Atlantic and with Temple, still covers that I-95 corridor and puts the conference in Virginia's athletic "honey pot." The AAC is like that: parts can be easily interchanged in places (which is why I think they could easily merge with someone). Cincinnati is not as easily replaceable. UMOH, probably the next best Ohio school solution, is a considerable step down in terms of school size and overall program coverage; it's also not consistently competitive...a Cincy loss would be instantly noticeable.

Does anyone think that if it comes down to it, a school like Cincy or UConn could buy their way into a major conference, like VT did for its olympic sports to the Big East?


I know what you mean Bishin. I was using the A-10's situation as an example. Another sample situation is The Summit, which I believe that its geographic and traditional footprint should be in the Upper Left Midwest states as ND, SD, NE, KS, MO, IA & MN, but has schools in the Right Midwest states (specifically IL & IN like WIU & the IUPUI schools).

Anyways, back on the AAC. To be honest, since its formation, the conference is mostly Deep South/Mid-South/Southeast-based (with UConn and Cincy as the "Northeast" schools; now with Louisville & Rutgers out of the conference). And since there's technically NO Eastern region in D-I in the football level, the closest conferences that represent the East/Northeast (to my understanding) are the East Coast-based ones like the ACC (FBS), the CAA (FCS), the A-10 (non-fb), the NEC (FCS), the MAAC (formerly FCS, now non-fb), the Patriot (FCS), and formerly the old Big East until the 2012-13 season. With that being said (and that's if UConn & Cincy are out of the Go5 picture and possibly in the P5 scene), shouldn't there be a major conference realignment between the AAC, the Sun Belt and C-USA? This would leave the MAC and the MW as the only Go5 FBS conferences intact.

By the way, at the time VT was in the old Big East for football before going for full membership in 2000, the Hokies were in the Metro & A-10 for all Oly sports (both non-fb conferences). WVU & Rutgers were in a similar situation, but both were A-10 Oly sports members until 1995 before joining the old Big East for full membership (along with Notre Dame as an Oly sports member from the Horizon). Unless UConn could try following Notre Dame's steps to join the ACC for Oly sports while being an FBS Indy with ACC bowl-granting rights; while Cincinnati could be next in line to be a Big XII school, just to add a close travel partner in WVU.

_________________
Florida State Seminoles fan for life (mostly on football, basketball and baseball)! 2013 ACC football Atlantic Division champions; 2013 ACC football regular season champions; 2013 ACC football conference bowl tournament champions; 2014 NCAA D-I FBS BCS national champions!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:53 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 724
Location: Columbus, OH
Aside from Buffalo, I don't see any MAC schools who would be willing to abruptly end 60 years of tradition and easy travel to leave the MAC for another Group of 5 conference. Miami and Ohio will not entertain overtures from the American. The MAC gives them just as easy a path to the Peach, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls as the American would.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:09 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1460
fighting muskie wrote:
Aside from Buffalo, I don't see any MAC schools who would be willing to abruptly end 60 years of tradition and easy travel to leave the MAC for another Group of 5 conference. Miami and Ohio will not entertain overtures from the American. The MAC gives them just as easy a path to the Peach, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls as the American would.

Kinda of agree but a 1 loss from the AAC/MWC will beat a 1 loss from the MAC everytime. The MAC would have to produce an undefeated champ or hope the MWC/AAC schools all have 2 losses.

The AAC would gve them easier "access" to the "BCS" bowls but the competition is harder and they likely wouldn't be able to compete.

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:08 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 724
Location: Columbus, OH
tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Aside from Buffalo, I don't see any MAC schools who would be willing to abruptly end 60 years of tradition and easy travel to leave the MAC for another Group of 5 conference. Miami and Ohio will not entertain overtures from the American. The MAC gives them just as easy a path to the Peach, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls as the American would.

Kinda of agree but a 1 loss from the AAC/MWC will beat a 1 loss from the MAC everytime. The MAC would have to produce an undefeated champ or hope the MWC/AAC schools all have 2 losses.

The AAC would gve them easier "access" to the "BCS" bowls but the competition is harder and they likely wouldn't be able to compete.


I think it will all depend on what Power 5 teams a Group of 5 school beats--if a MAC school upsets Michigan or Ohio St I think they are going to be ranked higher.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:07 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 1124
tkalmus wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:
Aside from Buffalo, I don't see any MAC schools who would be willing to abruptly end 60 years of tradition and easy travel to leave the MAC for another Group of 5 conference. Miami and Ohio will not entertain overtures from the American. The MAC gives them just as easy a path to the Peach, Cotton, and Fiesta bowls as the American would.

Kinda of agree but a 1 loss from the AAC/MWC will beat a 1 loss from the MAC everytime. The MAC would have to produce an undefeated champ or hope the MWC/AAC schools all have 2 losses.

The AAC would gve them easier "access" to the "BCS" bowls but the competition is harder and they likely wouldn't be able to compete.


Yeah, I remember when Ball State was having that monster season back in 2008. The problem was...so were Utah, TCU, and Boise State. It's changed enough where I doubt the MAC is so overlooked, but if you have two undefeated teams coming from the Go5, and any of them are from the AAC, the other is pretty much irrelevant. Heck, the AAC one might still be irrelevant...which might be why you see some programs doing whatever it takes to change their situation.

I don't see an AAC with Ohio and UMOH, or even Buffalo, being one with all of its current programs. It would be at a loss and be looking for fill-in's rather than true replacements. I don't think it's worth it for those guys to jump.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:58 pm 
Offline
Freshman
Freshman

Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:12 pm
Posts: 26
Between the MAC and AAC there have been four schools to make BCS Bowls.

1. UCF (ironically former MAC member going way back to when UCF had Dante Culpepper at QB)
2. Connecticut (who lost to a MAC team-Temple that same season... ironically Temple is now AAC)
3. Northern Illinois
4. Cincinnati (twice)

Rules for allowing non P5 schools did not start until 2004. Had AAC/MAC been allowed to play in them starting from 1998, here's who would have...

-1998 Tulane was undefeated and ranked high enough to qualify (ranked above #16 and ahead of at least one P5 Champion). The secret to their success was future Tampa Bay Buc Shaun King at QB running Rich Rod's zone-read running attack later used at West Virginia to great success. Tulane is considered to be the first team to employ it. Before Gus Malzahn's high school team, before Chip Kelly in Division 2, before Urban Meyer at Bowling Green ect.

-Marshall would have made 2 BCS Bowls when they had Randy Moss and Chad Pennington. Did give #20 Ole Miss a great bowl game scare, Marshall lost 32-34. Also beat #15 BYU in the Liberty Bowl the other time. Marshall was playing in the MAC both seasons. Not only that, had 2 Top 10 Heisman Finishers and followed it up without either one in a third season beating Big 12 Champ Kansas State @KSU (Kansas State went on to lose to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl by a lesser amount than what they lost to Marshall at home).

-Miami of Ohio with Ben Roethlisberger beat the Big Ten Champion @Northwestern that year and would have qualified under the final set of BCS Rules.

-Kent State and Ball State came within losing the MAC Championship Game from making it in.

-Houston came within losing the C-USA Championship Game from making it in. Undefeated prior with wins over 2 Big 12's and 1 SEC (all 3 played in bowls) but lost a tough one to Southern Miss.

-East Carolina and South Florida have both been on pace to do it beyond mid-season, but were upset once or twice late after collecting multiple wins over P5's prior.

-For giggles, Memphis beat a Peyton Manning-led Tennessee team once in shocking fashion at the buzzer.

Fun little trivia post. Inspired to show the relative lack of difference between the AAC and MAC aside from the MAC being a feeder league to the AAC with it's former outlier members (Temple, UCF) and for what else it's worth (almost nothing) Connecticut played basically an entire MAC schedule in their lone season as an Independent in the early 00's.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:04 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:09 pm
Posts: 1568
Here's a piece in SB Nation pertaining to developments at Tulane (Matt Monte, 8/17/2014):

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/american ... on-up-town


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:12 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7435
SBD article(previously posted in another thread)with comments from AAC Commish regarding possibility of renegotiating ESPN deal and other issues at http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... resco.aspx


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:25 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 156
The AAC is currently the best of the Go5 conferences, but a lot of that has to do with the fact they are a former BCS conference that was downgraded. For the first few years of the CFP big bowl deal I feel that the American will place their teams there. However over the course of the time, I would not be surprised if a team from the MAC, C-USA or SBC got in their. Could even happened this year if UH and UCF don't play better. I think the AAC is really weighing heavily on ECU this year and their schedule. AAC wants to play stronger teams, that is all that their commissioner has said. They want to get back to the power conferences but that is not going to happen due to the CFP contract. With the P5 pushing for more games against P5 schools that is going to hurt the AAC and before long the conference will decline a little to the point were there may not be a top Go5 conference year in and year out. So AAC better take it why it is there. Right now they have games already scheduled against P5 schools do to the fact that those games were scheduled years ago when AAC was the Big East and was a BCS conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:03 am 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 pm
Posts: 1460
hibbett2222 wrote:
The AAC is currently the best of the Go5 conferences, but a lot of that has to do with the fact they are a former BCS conference that was downgraded. For the first few years of the CFP big bowl deal I feel that the American will place their teams there. However over the course of the time, I would not be surprised if a team from the MAC, C-USA or SBC got in their. Could even happened this year if UH and UCF don't play better. I think the AAC is really weighing heavily on ECU this year and their schedule. AAC wants to play stronger teams, that is all that their commissioner has said. They want to get back to the power conferences but that is not going to happen due to the CFP contract. With the P5 pushing for more games against P5 schools that is going to hurt the AAC and before long the conference will decline a little to the point were there may not be a top Go5 conference year in and year out. So AAC better take it why it is there. Right now they have games already scheduled against P5 schools do to the fact that those games were scheduled years ago when AAC was the Big East and was a BCS conference.

Hibbett-

Yes the AAC was an AQ conference formerly known as the Big East but was downgraded after everyone left except Cincy, UConn, USF, and partially Temple. Those four schools are the only one that have been in a real AQ conference. The 1 year pass the AAC got does not suddenly make the other 8 members of the former AQ conference known as the Big East.

In your post you mention UH, UCF, and ECU who were all non AQ schools from the beginning 1996 until a year before 2013 the end 2014. 1 year doesn't make you an AQ, and technically even if the AAC didn't have that AQ last year UCF would have still been in the BCS bowl using the Go5 bid.

Most people have enough trouble remembering that Temple and USF were AQs before let's not muddy the waters by claiming that UH, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, ECU, and Navy were.
and those games weren't schedule a year ago, and nor were they scheduled because these schools were in the Big East, most AAC games (except Cincy, UConn, USF) were scheduled when these schools were in CUSA, MAC, or Indy. A&M isn't playing SMU because they are a tough opponent, they are playing them because it should be an easy win. Same with Texas, we didn't schedule UCF as a power school we scheduled them nearly 10 years ago when they sucked and now we play a hard OOC schedule next year because they got good (UCF, ND, Cal). The reason schools don't want to play the AAC is that the AAC could jump up and win the game and embarrass them. That why they are reaching down past the AAC and top of the MWC to CUSA, MAC, and the Sun Belt for those easy wins.

The best thing for the AAC and the MWC to do is to try and establish a scheduling agreement with the PAC12 and the Big12. The PAC already played 5 MWC games that I know of and I know the Big12 has relationships with many of the SW member which works out well. Let Air Force and Navy play their game as part of this agreement and have the extra AAC team play the extra PAC team.

P5 / Go5
------------
UW / BSU
WSU / WYO
UO / Nevada
OrSU / USF
Stan / Fresno (rotate Cali)
Cal / SJSU (rotate Cali)
UCLA / SDSU (rotate Cali)
USC / Hawaii (rotate Cali)
AZ / UNM (rotate Zona)
ASU / UNLV (rotate Zona)
Utah / Utah St (annual)
CU / CSU (annual)
TT / UH (annual)
UT / Tulane (annual)
BU / UCF
TCU / SMU (annual)
OU / Memphis
OkSU / Tulsa (biannual swap w/ OU)
KU / UConn (annual in 2 sports)
KSU / ECU
ISU / Cincy (annual)
WVU / Temple (annual)
----------------
Navy / AFA (annual)

_________________
Fan of the Big 12 Conference, the Mountain West Conference and...
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:05 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 pm
Posts: 403
The best thing for the AAC is to ignore the MWC.
The AAC should get BYU and Army as football only members.
The AAC should schedule as many P5 schools as possible from any conferences as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:48 am 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:23 am
Posts: 156
tkalmus wrote:
hibbett2222 wrote:
The AAC is currently the best of the Go5 conferences, but a lot of that has to do with the fact they are a former BCS conference that was downgraded. For the first few years of the CFP big bowl deal I feel that the American will place their teams there. However over the course of the time, I would not be surprised if a team from the MAC, C-USA or SBC got in their. Could even happened this year if UH and UCF don't play better. I think the AAC is really weighing heavily on ECU this year and their schedule. AAC wants to play stronger teams, that is all that their commissioner has said. They want to get back to the power conferences but that is not going to happen due to the CFP contract. With the P5 pushing for more games against P5 schools that is going to hurt the AAC and before long the conference will decline a little to the point were there may not be a top Go5 conference year in and year out. So AAC better take it why it is there. Right now they have games already scheduled against P5 schools do to the fact that those games were scheduled years ago when AAC was the Big East and was a BCS conference.

Hibbett-

Yes the AAC was an AQ conference formerly known as the Big East but was downgraded after everyone left except Cincy, UConn, USF, and partially Temple. Those four schools are the only one that have been in a real AQ conference. The 1 year pass the AAC got does not suddenly make the other 8 members of the former AQ conference known as the Big East.

In your post you mention UH, UCF, and ECU who were all non AQ schools from the beginning 1996 until a year before 2013 the end 2014. 1 year doesn't make you an AQ, and technically even if the AAC didn't have that AQ last year UCF would have still been in the BCS bowl using the Go5 bid.

Most people have enough trouble remembering that Temple and USF were AQs before let's not muddy the waters by claiming that UH, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, ECU, and Navy were.
and those games weren't schedule a year ago, and nor were they scheduled because these schools were in the Big East, most AAC games (except Cincy, UConn, USF) were scheduled when these schools were in CUSA, MAC, or Indy. A&M isn't playing SMU because they are a tough opponent, they are playing them because it should be an easy win. Same with Texas, we didn't schedule UCF as a power school we scheduled them nearly 10 years ago when they sucked and now we play a hard OOC schedule next year because they got good (UCF, ND, Cal). The reason schools don't want to play the AAC is that the AAC could jump up and win the game and embarrass them. That why they are reaching down past the AAC and top of the MWC to CUSA, MAC, and the Sun Belt for those easy wins.

The best thing for the AAC and the MWC to do is to try and establish a scheduling agreement with the PAC12 and the Big12. The PAC already played 5 MWC games that I know of and I know the Big12 has relationships with many of the SW member which works out well. Let Air Force and Navy play their game as part of this agreement and have the extra AAC team play the extra PAC team.

P5 / Go5
------------
UW / BSU
WSU / WYO
UO / Nevada
OrSU / USF
Stan / Fresno (rotate Cali)
Cal / SJSU (rotate Cali)
UCLA / SDSU (rotate Cali)
USC / Hawaii (rotate Cali)
AZ / UNM (rotate Zona)
ASU / UNLV (rotate Zona)
Utah / Utah St (annual)
CU / CSU (annual)
TT / UH (annual)
UT / Tulane (annual)
BU / UCF
TCU / SMU (annual)
OU / Memphis
OkSU / Tulsa (biannual swap w/ OU)
KU / UConn (annual in 2 sports)
KSU / ECU
ISU / Cincy (annual)
WVU / Temple (annual)
----------------
Navy / AFA (annual)


Oh but according to the AAC commissioner it does! This was the whole point of his Media day. He was talking about how UCF won over Baylor. Also the 8 other schools that your referred to, did play one year in a BCS contracted bowl conference. So yes that does make them former BCS members. Doesn't matter if it was one year or more, it is in the history books as UCF winning a big bowl game in the BCS with a BCS contracted conference.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:02 pm 
Offline
All-Conference
All-Conference

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 am
Posts: 724
Location: Columbus, OH
hibbett2222 wrote:
The AAC is currently the best of the Go5 conferences, but a lot of that has to do with the fact they are a former BCS conference that was downgraded. For the first few years of the CFP big bowl deal I feel that the American will place their teams there. However over the course of the time, I would not be surprised if a team from the MAC, C-USA or SBC got in their. Could even happened this year if UH and UCF don't play better. I think the AAC is really weighing heavily on ECU this year and their schedule. AAC wants to play stronger teams, that is all that their commissioner has said. They want to get back to the power conferences but that is not going to happen due to the CFP contract. With the P5 pushing for more games against P5 schools that is going to hurt the AAC and before long the conference will decline a little to the point were there may not be a top Go5 conference year in and year out. So AAC better take it why it is there. Right now they have games already scheduled against P5 schools do to the fact that those games were scheduled years ago when AAC was the Big East and was a BCS conference.


The American is in a really tough spot. The schools in the league believe they are the best of the Power 5 but they are going to have to prove that on the field by dominating other Group of 5 competition and scoring wins against the Power 5. So far only Temple has beat one of the big boys (and then turned around and lost to Navy). A MWC school or a MAC program could easily take that big bowl slot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:30 pm 
Offline
All-Star
All-Star

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:37 pm
Posts: 7435
DMN opinion piece suggesting that if AAC member SMU cannot keep up with D-1 FB player compensation that it should consider either dropping down one or two FB divisions or eliminate scholarship FB altogether and concentrate on D-1 BB.If they would do something like that what D-1 BB only conference would they be interested in?Link at http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnew ... quest.html


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:22 pm 
Offline
Senior
Senior

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 am
Posts: 217
freaked4collegefb wrote:
DMN opinion piece suggesting that if AAC member SMU cannot keep up with D-1 FB player compensation that it should consider either dropping down one or two FB divisions or eliminate scholarship FB altogether and concentrate on D-1 BB.If they would do something like that what D-1 BB only conference would they be interested in?Link at http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnew ... quest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;


All hypothetical of course...

If they drop to FCS, the Southland would be an obvious natural fit. They would be the only DFW school in a Texas-centric conference. A huge stretch, but maybe a football-fit would be the Big Sky. They would be an island but its not like DFW is a difficult city to reach. The OVC would be another "island" situation, but a much closer island with decent competition. The Pioneer Football League would be a possibility if SMU was willing to drop scholarships (they would have to find a home for their other sports, however.)

If they drop football altogether (or go the PFL route...), there really is no great fit. The WAC is the only conference with even one Texas school, but that really has sadly become a joke of a conference. The MVC would be okay, but not great. I think they would fit well "personality-wise" with the West Coast Conference. All other schools are private, religious-based institutions like SMU. They would be an island, but I think the other schools would look past that. Also, if SMU wants to focus on basketball, the WCC would be perfect.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347, 348 ... 350  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
 

 




Looking for College Sports apparel? Support our partner:








Support Our Partners: Search Engine Marketing - Search Engine Optimization - Search Engine Training - Online Marketing for Restuarants

Subway Map Shirts - Food and Travel

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group