NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 386, 387, 388, 389, 390
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... sion-talks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
Should we never say never on Big 12 expansion? https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d101d884 ... rs-are.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This rumor could make sense as we are coming close to the end of the basketball season and every Big 12 AD and President will be in Kansas City for the men basketball tournament and most Big 12 officials will likewise be present at the NCAA men final four.

The last time the Presidents meet ended with the lack of getting the necessary majority of votes on which teams to invite. Maybe time has provided more thoughts on which teams would be preferred by all ten schools.

It would allow the Big 12 to provide plenty of notice to other leagues before the physical end of the year on July 1, 2017.

The men final four tournament would be a nice place to announce which team would finally make the cut should the league finally decide to expand. The homework has long sense been completed.

I guess this football and basketball season adds another bullet point for each of the teams. Though I doubt much has changed from earlier to today to make teams more attractive. At this point would expansion even net the conference more money? One of the talking points last time around was the increased revenue. I think it was like 50 million a school I think. Did the conference agree to not expand and remove that part of the contract for a bump In money now?

My take on Big 12 expansion talks that ended in November of last year had more to do with gaining agreement on particular schools with necessary votes and not so much with not wanting expansion to occur.

Its interesting there were never any official public statement on the Big 12 actually changing the contract and taking out the pro rata clause from the contracts with FOX and ESPN. Unless some media has actual documentation the clause were removed, the Big 12 most likely just took expansion off the table. None of the Big 12 schools reported any increase in additional revenue from the projected 30 million per school that was announced prior to the November meeting with the Big 12 Presidents in Dallas.

It is an assumption the pro rata clause continues to exist and the Big 12 can reopen expansion discussions any time in the future if they wish to do so.

The Big 12 football championship game that will resume next year is much more about money than adding to the 13 data point for the football championship committee. A lot has occurred with Ohio State making the playoff without having the 13 data point.

The Big 12 could simply take the football championship game back off the table based on the Ohio State situation last season, however, the revenue is just too good to pass up. The schedule of round robin is already causing issues with fans as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State game had to be scheduled from season ending to ovoid the possibility of a rematch the following week.

The correct solution for the Big 12 to play the football championship game has always been 12 minimum schools with six team divisions. This is precisely why the 13 data point was created by the SEC decades ago in design.

BYU which was presumably reported as the leading candidate last year may not have the same resistance this time around which basically killed the last expansion exercise and caused Oklahoma to back off pushing expansion.

If Texas AD is discussing expansion possibility which would probably indicate Houston would continue to be the priority for Texas, the Big 12 could rethink taking Houston and BYU to expand to 12 schools.

Assuming BYU could finally get the votes for the other 12th school, Oklahoma may rethink expansion.

If Texas and Oklahoma both get what they want out of expansion, there is a very good possibility the Big 12 could reopen expansion talks very soon. Basically there is nothing to stop the league from resuming expansion discussions.

East: Texas, Houston, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, West Virginia

West: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, K State, Kansas, BYU

Less face it the only reason to play a CCG in football is for revenue and having 12 schools minimum is a really must to work correctly for this type of system.

West:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:15 am 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
Should we never say never on Big 12 expansion? https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d101d884 ... rs-are.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This rumor could make sense as we are coming close to the end of the basketball season and every Big 12 AD and President will be in Kansas City for the men basketball tournament and most Big 12 officials will likewise be present at the NCAA men final four.

The last time the Presidents meet ended with the lack of getting the necessary majority of votes on which teams to invite. Maybe time has provided more thoughts on which teams would be preferred by all ten schools.

It would allow the Big 12 to provide plenty of notice to other leagues before the physical end of the year on July 1, 2017.

The men final four tournament would be a nice place to announce which team would finally make the cut should the league finally decide to expand. The homework has long sense been completed.

I guess this football and basketball season adds another bullet point for each of the teams. Though I doubt much has changed from earlier to today to make teams more attractive. At this point would expansion even net the conference more money? One of the talking points last time around was the increased revenue. I think it was like 50 million a school I think. Did the conference agree to not expand and remove that part of the contract for a bump In money now?

My take on Big 12 expansion talks that ended in November of last year had more to do with gaining agreement on particular schools with necessary votes and not so much with not wanting expansion to occur.

Its interesting there were never any official public statement on the Big 12 actually changing the contract and taking out the pro rata clause from the contracts with FOX and ESPN. Unless some media has actual documentation the clause were removed, the Big 12 most likely just took expansion off the table. None of the Big 12 schools reported any increase in additional revenue from the projected 30 million per school that was announced prior to the November meeting with the Big 12 Presidents in Dallas.

It is an assumption the pro rata clause continues to exist and the Big 12 can reopen expansion discussions any time in the future if they wish to do so.

The Big 12 football championship game that will resume next year is much more about money than adding to the 13 data point for the football championship committee. A lot has occurred with Ohio State making the playoff without having the 13 data point.

The Big 12 could simply take the football championship game back off the table based on the Ohio State situation last season, however, the revenue is just too good to pass up. The schedule of round robin is already causing issues with fans as Oklahoma and Oklahoma State game had to be scheduled from season ending to ovoid the possibility of a rematch the following week.

The correct solution for the Big 12 to play the football championship game has always been 12 minimum schools with six team divisions. This is precisely why the 13 data point was created by the SEC decades ago in design.

BYU which was presumably reported as the leading candidate last year may not have the same resistance this time around which basically killed the last expansion exercise and caused Oklahoma to back off pushing expansion.

If Texas AD is discussing expansion possibility which would probably indicate Houston would continue to be the priority for Texas, the Big 12 could rethink taking Houston and BYU to expand to 12 schools.

Assuming BYU could finally get the votes for the other 12th school, Oklahoma may rethink expansion.

If Texas and Oklahoma both get what they want out of expansion, there is a very good possibility the Big 12 could reopen expansion talks very soon. Basically there is nothing to stop the league from resuming expansion discussions.

Less face it the only reason to play a CCG in football is for revenue and having 12 schools minimum is a really must to work correctly for this type of system.

West:

I wonder if Cincinnati basketball played themselves into consideration due to basketball. This year they would have been a good team in the conference for rpi purposes. Maybe it's because I want BYU to stay in the WCC but I don't see a full invitation working well for the conference. I also don't see the big 12 wanting a associate football member.
I wonder if the selling point would be the additional strength in basketball. Though i'd like to see Colorado state added. The only problem is a solid #14 school for the North division.
North: Cincinnati, West Virginia, Colorado State, Iowa state, Kansas, Kansas State
South: Texas, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
Should we never say never on Big 12 expansion? https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d101d884 ... rs-are.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West:

I wonder if Cincinnati basketball played themselves into consideration due to basketball. This year they would have been a good team in the conference for rpi purposes. Maybe it's because I want BYU to stay in the WCC but I don't see a full invitation working well for the conference. I also don't see the big 12 wanting a associate football member.
I wonder if the selling point would be the additional strength in basketball. Though i'd like to see Colorado state added. The only problem is a solid #14 school for the North division.
North: Cincinnati, West Virginia, Colorado State, Iowa state, Kansas, Kansas State

I would guess the same suspects that were leading candidates for expansion last year would not have changed and Cincinnati certainly would be at the top of any Big 12 expansion list.

With a few more months of time to analyze the current landscape, I would not at all be surprised that some Big 12 schools have reconsidered their position and are willing to compromise votes should expansion talks resume.

Baylor issues were a major concern last year during expansion and did not have a permanent President. The issues were very concerning for all Big 12 schools to ensure that Baylor could get institutional control over its sports programs. The Big 12 is holding revenue to ensure the same problems do not continue to occur at the school.

Expansion would actually help the Big 12 with Baylor and should the school not make its policy transparent could easy replace Baylor with another school and not compromise the current requirement of having a minimum of 10 schools for football inventory.

It would take two years to get schools added such as a Cincinnati and time for Baylor to ensure they have resolved the serous issue that occurred at this school or possibly expel the school without compliance and not impact the required inventory of football games required by FOX and ESPN.

The Big 12 has to be considerate of future TV negotiations that will occur close to 2024 and BYU football would help fortify future TV negotiations. Can BYU get the 8 votes this time if the Big 12 resume expansion talks?

If yes, then the 12 school would probably come down to Cincinnati and Houston if the league in fact expanded. Did Houston burn any bridges when Texas acquired their football coach? My guess is yes and this could open the door for Cincinnati.

By the way any school not in the five power leagues would jump at a the chance to join the Big 12 regardless of the hiccups that occurred last year with expansion exercises.

With ESPN continuing to spend money like a drunken sailor while losing cable subscribers at the same time should not impact the Big 12 concerns with using the pro rata clause which is probably still available to the Big 12. ESPN may look entirely different by 2024 when the Big 12 is up for new TV contracts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:27 am 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
Should we never say never on Big 12 expansion? https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d101d884 ... rs-are.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West:

I would guess the same suspects that were leading candidates for expansion last year would not have changed and Cincinnati certainly would be at the top of any Big 12 expansion list.

With a few more months of time to analyze the current landscape, I would not at all be surprised that some Big 12 schools have reconsidered their position and are willing to compromise votes should expansion talks resume.

Baylor issues were a major concern last year during expansion and did not have a permanent President. The issues were very concerning for all Big 12 schools to ensure that Baylor could get institutional control over its sports programs. The Big 12 is holding revenue to ensure the same problems do not continue to occur at the school.

Expansion would actually help the Big 12 with Baylor and should the school not make its policy transparent could easy replace Baylor with another school and not compromise the current requirement of having a minimum of 10 schools for football inventory.

It would take two years to get schools added such as a Cincinnati and time for Baylor to ensure they have resolved the serous issue that occurred at this school or possibly expel the school without compliance and not impact the required inventory of football games required by FOX and ESPN.

The Big 12 has to be considerate of future TV negotiations that will occur close to 2024 and BYU football would help fortify future TV negotiations. Can BYU get the 8 votes this time if the Big 12 resume expansion talks?

If yes, then the 12 school would probably come down to Cincinnati and Houston if the league in fact expanded. Did Houston burn any bridges when Texas acquired their football coach? My guess is yes and this could open the door for Cincinnati.

By the way any school not in the five power leagues would jump at a the chance to join the Big 12 regardless of the hiccups that occurred last year with expansion exercises.

With ESPN continuing to spend money like a drunken sailor while losing cable subscribers at the same time should not impact the Big 12 concerns with using the pro rata clause which is probably still available to the Big 12. ESPN may look entirely different by 2024 when the Big 12 is up for new TV contracts.

I'm actually kinda curious on the difference of the value of a Buy football invite and a all sports to another school. To me there is no value in just having a football invite. I would think that the number of teams being added effects BYU. Should they add only 2 teams I think a football only invite is likely. Should they expand by 4 then I personally think it's not likely.
I don't think football only invites are a long term solution to FBS conferences. I think both Navy and Hawaii are short term fixes to the AAC and MWC. I think the Big 12 may lean towards all sports invites. Purely for building up more games to offer under a new TV contract. BYU is a plus for football and a plus if they can work out the Sunday rule.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
46566 wrote:
lash wrote:
Should we never say never on Big 12 expansion? https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/d101d884 ... rs-are.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West:

I'm actually kinda curious on the difference of the value of a Buy football invite and a all sports to another school. To me there is no value in just having a football invite. I would think that the number of teams being added effects BYU. Should they add only 2 teams I think a football only invite is likely. Should they expand by 4 then I personally think it's not likely.
I don't think football only invites are a long term solution to FBS conferences. I think both Navy and Hawaii are short term fixes to the AAC and MWC. I think the Big 12 may lean towards all sports invites. Purely for building up more games to offer under a new TV contract. BYU is a plus for football and a plus if they can work out the Sunday rule.

To me, associate members in any league should be based on the particular sport and if the league offers that sport as a championship. For example, men soccer is not played at all power leagues and some power schools join mid major leagues to play that sport in a conference type schedule. Similar to some mid major schools play wrestling and gymnastics in the Big 12 to make up the required number of schools to qualify as a NCAA sport for the Big 12. Football and basketball are not associate type sports and should be mandatory to play full conference schedules for both type of sports.

This is only a hutch, however, the Big 12 may have used the expansion process last year as a smoke screen to overshadow Baylor issues with the press. I firmly believe the cover up at Baylor was such a major concern to the Big 12, the league was very much considering expelling the school.

The tier 1 TV contacts require the Big 12 to have 10 members, and this could be the reason the Big 12 was considering BYU as a football only member to temporarily replace Baylor football immediately.

With apparently new transparency in the Baylor leadership at the top has eased some of the concerns, the league is holding back revenue which basically has the school on probation.

So maybe the Texas AD reference to expansion talks could have something to do with replacing Baylor if that school fails to bring the school back into Big 12 and NCAA standards with Title IX.

If the Big 12 replaced Baylor and wanted to remain with ten schools, there is a good chance Houston would or could acquire enough votes to replace Baylor and keep four Texas schools in the league.

Should the league need to expand and replace Baylor and wanted 12 schools may have been the reason the Big 12 had Houston, BYU, and Cincinnati as the top three candidates.

This of course in only speculation, however, something has to make sense out of the fiasco that occurred last year and the fact Texas AD bring up expansion again probably has a lot to do with Baylor.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 386, 387, 388, 389, 390