NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:54 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 213  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Temple won't get considered for anything more than where they currently are. And as long as Louisville is ahead of them, ECU better look elsewhere, too.

If there's something this potential "detente" is going to do is flush out the next crop of deserving programs for major consideration. I still question the viability of the AAC (Temple's going to drown and UConn won't be far behind them), and the Big XII pretty much holds the fate of that conference, albeit indirectly, in its hands. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few years, Temple would have to reconsider something like a full membership with the MAC, as slashing all of those programs was merely a band-aid.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:53 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Temple won't get considered for anything more than where they currently

Temple has been an odd duck for decades. The reasons why they have underachieved in many dimensions are not difficult to list. Still, when Al Golden was there, they were climbing in success and even had a good crowd to show for a bowl game. One has to wonder, has Temple really changed much in being committed in sports development, particularly football?

Temple should have been able to recruit at an improved level, given their location. Still, Temple playing at Lincoln Financial Field looks to be too much over-reach. It's understandable when schools such as Penn State come to town, but otherwise it's not matching-up by a longshot.

Saw somewhere, that allegedly "the Dude" tweeted that BYU retained the services of Dan Beebe, perhaps to gain an understanding of the inner workings of the B12---with some comment of being disguised in Dallas, then (around 7/20) as Jim McMahon. If such is true, it reminds one of Memphis' consulting contract with Tranghese right after he resigned as BE commissioner. Maybe Memphis may want to engage Beebe also for a potential B12 landing sport? :roll:

Leave a conference commissioner's job, and get consulting gigs with 'wannabes' who had tried and failed to get one's approval while he was in the role to largely decide, is an intriguing parody. This is not so much unlike former congressmen turned lobbyists.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:18 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think Temple's ceiling is the ACC, but were the apocalypse to happen in that conference, I think those institutions remaining would likely be the same schools who voted Temple out of the conference only years ago. Temple's ACC allies, if there are such a thing, other than Louisville, are more like the traditional members. Pitt can't even be considered an ally...they abstained from the expulsion vote (ironic how their fans kvetch about PSU blocking them from the Big Ten...not exactly a noble institution themselves).

Temple's growing. Its enrollment is improving, as is its reputation institutionally. But, it's still very much a non-traditional student base (commuter and transfer). Louisville is probably the school most like it in terms of institutional likeness, but Temple is larger and more prestigious...but hasn't even a fraction of the fan base UL has. Even with whatever t-shirt college basketball fans are in Philly...I think they pull more for Villanova. And when little St. Joe's is good, Philly warms up to them pretty well too.

I don't know what TU would achieve for the Big XII if the idea was going east picking up markets. Package them with UConn or Cincy if one of those guys decline the offer? There's still way too much travel to consider. It would sure shake up recruiting up in these parts, though.

As for Beebe and BYU...do the Cougs know part of the conference staying together, and specifically, Oklahoma pledging its loyalty to the group, came with the condition that Beebe leave? I don't think Beebe is quite the insider you want if the Big XII is the closest leap to a major conference. If being in a major conference is now BYU's major and only goal, it's Chuck Neinas or nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 am 
Senior
Senior

Update on Baylor's new fb and track&field complex(600yds east of stadium).

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-foo ... m-cam.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Panorama view, looks at the whole site.
Also, On Site view is from one of the suites inside the stadium.

Baylor's first home game will be on a Sunday night.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. I heard that Baylor has a room in the stadium called the recruiting room. If you look at the panorama view....just across the field from the western anchor of the scoreboard....in the wall, at field level. You may notice windows, instead of wall. These windows in, what would be the north wall behind the goal post is the Recruiting room. Not quite sure what will be in there...but, word has it that it will be pretty cool.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:22 am 
All-Star
All-Star

"The house that RG3 built".
That's be I-35 in the background, and the Brazos Rvier, I believe.
I'd drive past there every few months, and at first we thought (we were seeing it from the other side) it involved some ramps for a new highway interchange.

No doubt the extra Big XII TV revenue is helping to pay for this.
It does help solidify Baylor's position as an FBS big-time institution (at times their foot-hold in the P% was a bit tenuous, when the Big XII was in a state of flux in 2012).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:35 am 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
I'd drive past there every few months, and at first we thought (we were seeing it from the other side) it involved some ramps for a new highway interchange.

It does help solidify Baylor's position as an FBS big-time institution (at times their foot-hold in the P% was a bit tenuous, when the Big XII was in a state of flux in 2012).

Actually, it was much more than just some tv revenue that brought this project together.

The city took a huge part, because they are trying to develop the river area including downtown...which is across I-35 and on the other side of the Brazos.
They added a track and field site that will be used for high school and college.
They had some major private donations as well as the University itself.
TxDot pitched in to help with the highway work. The Corp of Engineers helped with the river and right of way.
And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other major factors...but, there were many different groups pitching in on parts of the project.
They are also playing high school fb on the site, as well. The first game at the stadium will be a high school game.
So, this project is a bit different than other 'on campus' stadium builds.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:28 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
tute79 wrote:

Actually, it was much more than just some tv revenue that brought this project together.

The city took a huge part, because they are trying to develop the river area including downtown...which is across I-35 and on the other side of the Brazos.
They added a track and field site that will be used for high school and college.
They had some major private donations as well as the University itself.
TxDot pitched in to help with the highway work. The Corp of Engineers helped with the river and right of way.
And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other major factors...but, there were many different groups pitching in on parts of the project.
They are also playing high school fb on the site, as well. The first game at the stadium will be a high school game.
So, this project is a bit different than other 'on campus' stadium builds.

More than TV revenue, yes...it was very involved at many levels.

But Baylor's athletics funding went from ~8 million to nearly 4 times that in just a few short years.

Like tute said, Baylor's position in the P5 is unclear. As is Kansas State's, TCU's and Iowa State's. This is why they all are upgrading their stadiums so that they can get into a better P5 conference or if worst comes to worst they can keep their P5 status even w/o UT/OU/KU. Smoke'm while you got'em, and those 4 school likely only have $20+million coming in for 10 more years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:15 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Salt Lake City(previously posted in another thread)discussing link between Big 12 tv deals and future league expansion at http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?ps=all

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
Article out of Salt Lake City(previously posted in another thread)discussing link between Big 12 tv deals and future league expansion at http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?ps=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is it possible that BYU fans are more arrogant than Notre Dame? Is the religious affiliation that provide support to both of these schools the primary reason for such a sense of entitlement by the fan bases?

BYU fans has ever occurred to you that Big 12 simply does not want or more specific does not need you? Ditto Pac 12.

There is some truth to conference networks having some influence on conference expansion, however, up to now the primary reason the SEC, ACC, Pac 12 expanded had nothing to do with conference networks. The SEC had Texas A&M dropped in their lap to escape form the shadows of big brother Texas and Missouri got to come along to balance out the divisions. The Pac 12 expanded to be more like the other leagues and have a championship football game. Neither the SEC or Pac 12 expansion had any impacts on conference networks at the time.

The Big Ten may have used the BTN as a benefit with expanding with Maryland and Rutgers, however, my thoughts they were more to do with another arrogant school bringing the ACC into its own back door and refusing to join its regional league. If there are those many benefits with a conference TV network why did the Big Ten stop at the horrible number of 14?

Has ever occurred to BYU the Big 12 is at 10 schools by design or choice.

If the Big 12 really wanted BYU they do not have to take the school for all sports which would drastically reduce the revenue sharing and eliminate the issue of BYU refusing to play sports on Sundays which mostly impacts non football sports.

Navy could be the other school to play football only and would provide WVU a better travel partner compared to most other Power five schools options.

The simple fact that most non Big 12 fans including BYU do not understand, the Big 12 has decided to be a 10 league school by choice. Contrary to what most do not understand there are many benefits to remaining a perfect 10 member league including unity.

Hey BYU if the Pac 12 or Big 12 wanted your school's membership, BYU would be a member by now. Get over it. Your arrogance has caused you a seat at the power five conference table and the door may have been shut for ever and it has nothing to do with revenue and more to with on the outside looking in. There is only a hand full of schools fortunate to demand these special perks in conference membership and you are not close to being a Notre Dame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

On the tier 3 matter, BYU would already be set-up for that with their BYU network and additives. It's probably more cost-effective than the LHN itself due to BYU's mixed programming reaching beyond sports. That could also be a problem for B12 schools in considering BYU because BYU could be coming into the situation with an advantage to most others and not add to the current package of tier 1 & 2 distributions. The network would have to open it up and dump in considerably more.

It's obvious BYU is now doing an assertive marketing campaign to capture the B12's interest. BYU does have the resources and expertise to do so, but that may not be enough. As you referenced, Lash, BYU is uncompromising on certain unique conditions they are committed to imposing.

The question is, is there a faction of the B12 that is actually silently encouraging BYU to politick for a future spot? Or, is BYU doing all this due to a feeling of desperation in being left out of the P5?

Maybe the AAC is BYU's best realistic option.

All the P5 seem to have drawn a line, for now, not to include anyone that is not already in their midst. The B12 seems relatively free from pressure to expand by other P5 conferences even though the B12 is the only P5 conference without a CCG. Will near-future playoff controversy change that? We'll all see.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
That could also be a problem for B12 schools in considering BYU because BYU could be coming into the situation with an advantage to most others and not add to the current package of tier 1 & 2 distributions. The network would have to open it up and dump in considerably more.

This kind of speaks to an issue where I would actually sympathize with BYU...that they "stepped out of line" to get something they felt they were entitled to, and it ruffled feathers of institutions in major conferences who don't pull the sort of support the mighty BYU does (and they do).

It's okay if Texas has their sweetheart deal. Oklahoma and Kansas have their methodologies. But the n00b from Provo?

BYU shouldn't have to suffer because they're more popular than some (potentially many) of the other major programs out there. They shouldn't have to suffer because of those little-men and non-contributors who feel entitled to more because they got there first. Major conferences, in this case the PAC and Big XII, can marginalize BYU all they want and not consider them a major. They are. And no amount of marginalization is going to take away the Cougs' modern era football title...which pretty much started this "major vs. the rest" bull.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:59 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The P5 are trying to force marginalization of the rest in conjunction with the networks. However, BYU is a school that can make some network more money.

I believe what the P5 are trying to do is fundamentally remove all G5 and lessor from their recruitment pool. I believe this factor is basic in the push to instill further player financial enhancements. They seek to find a distinction for those that can move in that direction, and those lacking the resources and will to go there.

As to BYU, the 'no Sunday play' institutional policy is often cited as one of the reasons, among others, that the Pac12 and the B12 are not willing to accept BYU. Yet, the MWC and some others worked with that factor or are willing to do so.

BYU has a problem with late games on Saturday night. If they play one, and it gets delayed due to weather or goes into something like a 4th overtime, what do they do: just walk off the field while the game is still in progress so they can fly or bus home before 12:00AM Sunday morning? Networks want to present games at optimum times, and usually want the flexible time to feature certain games. And, it is the Olympic-type sports and baseball that sometimes get scheduled on Sundays often due to the convenience of an opponent engaged in extensive travel.

BYU certainly has a right to follow the common practices of their faith. But having a demand that others accept the same when it involves BYU is not deemed reasonable for major conferences to accept. Given BYU's unique expectations in several dimensions, they are dealing with a narrow set of options when it comes to conference membership.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 am 
Senior
Senior

Why can't BYU be happy in the MWC?
If the MWC is willing to work with them....then I don't really see what the problem is???

If BYU chooses not to join the MWC....then I would hope that they had a better alternative. If they don't have a better alternative....then, it is BYU that made the mistake. And why not let them pay the price for that?

No need to FORCE a different conference to accept BYU. When it is BYU that has dug this hole for themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
If the MWC is willing to work with them....then I don't really see what the problem is???

If BYU chooses not to join the MWC....then I would hope that they had a better alternative. If they don't have a better alternative....then, it is BYU that made the mistake. And why not let them pay the price for that?

No need to FORCE a different conference to accept BYU. When it is BYU that has dug this hole for themselves.

Exactly the MWC with BYU and UTEP is a solid conference.

Add in Houston and SMU and it's almost there.

Pull in Baylor, TCU, K State and Iowa St from a raided Big12 and they might be able to get included (though the Big 12 would most likely just raid the best pieces from the MWC leaving out the riff raff but to be fair only WYO brings almost no value everyone else is either competitive or a big market).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:

I think it depends on how to view it. BYU was partly said to be pushed out of the PAC conversation in the late 70's because the Arizona schools said they needed to be together. BYU, Utah, and New Mexico were the leading candidates for Big XII spots #11 and #12, to which Texas politics forced the conference to pull in Tech and Baylor. When it came time for "next in" considerations, BYU got overlooked by both again.

Yeah, they got greedy. They wanted more from the MWC and scrap the share, and they turned down AQ from the Big East. To some extent, what they're not getting from the MWC is only schedule stability and home games, while they looked wise never coming to the Big East/AAC table (they certainly saved money not doing that one). Personally, I think they don't like "The Hair," MWC's commissioner, as well as being on equal football and basketball ground with a few of those expected replacement MWC members.

sec03 wrote:
BYU has a problem with late games on Saturday night. If they play one, and it gets delayed due to weather or goes into something like a 4th overtime, what do they do: just walk off the field while the game is still in progress so they can fly or bus home before 12:00AM Sunday morning? Networks want to present games at optimum times, and usually want the flexible time to feature certain games. And, it is the Olympic-type sports and baseball that sometimes get scheduled on Sundays often due to the convenience of an opponent engaged in extensive travel.

This is legit. Playing night games in Provo is one thing, but they're a real pain when it comes to night games in other conference members' venues. They sucked it up for television, but I don't think the LDS was happy about it. Over time, once the MWC formed and the coverage changed, BYU got to be a bit more selective in its scheduling. For football, it's one thing...but those ollies. It seems like BYU is totally fine structuring their institution to assist their student athletes...but a giant "screw you" to your conference-mates' kids. For a bus league, BYU's views and practices can be accommodated. In the bigger, national scene? The Cougars and LDS have some growing up to do (it's not like all Mormons don't work on Sundays).

But, still, I feel like BYU should already be in a major conference, and the spot I'm eying is TCU's. It's tough to swallow the bit of "there's nobody else to add value" when TCU's in, and the likes of BYU, Cincinnati, and even UConn are out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 202, 203, 204, 205, 206, 207, 208 ... 213  Next