NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:04 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:33 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

tute79 wrote:
The 4-team bracket uses pre-existing New Years Bowls for the semi-finals.
The NFL playoffs get going typically the first weekend after New Years.
So how do you fit an 8-game bracket in there ?

Easy peazy. Round of 8 the Friday/Saturday before Christmas. This year that would be Dec. 23rd & 24th. Travel for the fans shouldn't be an issue, as they don't seem to mind travelling to bowl games the days before and after Christmas. Or you could have the quarterfinal sites bid upon. Then you could sell the tickets long before the bids are announced and still save some tickets for the teams' fans.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 am 
All-Star
All-Star

People snap up tickets for the NCAA basketball tournament way in advance, not knowing the teams that will be playing at a given site.
That might be half the tickets, then the NCAA holds back a portion for the teams that wind up playing at a given site.

The Big XII is now 1 for 3. Is that conference on it's death-bad ? Will it be devoured, or will it be bailed out, if the CFP goes to 8 and gives them an auto-bid ?
I don't like giving them an auto-bid, with the Big XII at 10 teams and SEC, ACC, B1G at 14.
Rather see a P4 with 16-team conferences, and an 8-team bracket with 4 auto-bids and 4 at-large.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
Rather see a P4 with 16-team conferences, and an 8-team bracket with 4 auto-bids and 4 at-large.

Yeah, but there's no incentive for symmetry. The Big XII is the only conference small enough to be picked apart, and the only reason for the big guys to leave is if there’s more money to be had somewhere else, and that’s simply not true for Texas.

There's no "organizing force" in college sports, like the NHL realigning constantly for efficiency. Which is probably one of the two major issues the NCAA deeply regrets not establishing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

You are correct that there is not an official over-arching organization in the role of organizing schools / conferences for efficiency.

However, the schools / conferences DO respond to the TV networks and their offerings and potential offerings.

It appears that ESPN and FOX (through their TV contracts) are in a position to "suggest" various re-structuring.

FOX's move into gaining a share of the Big Ten is possibly a way to compensate in the future, should the Big XII disappear, in my opinion.

ESPN now owns something like 33 of 35 bowl games, and in my opinion, there is now strong interest ONLY in the 2 semi-final games and the NCG.
The bowls for other than the final 4 teams are irrelevant, although the CFP is structured so plenty of money still flows to all 6 of the "Big 6" bowls.

I'm thinking expansion of the CFP to 8 teams (and adding a quarter-final round that utilizes the other 4 of the Big 6 Bowls), can really drive up the TV viewership
(and TV ad $$$$) for ESPN. ESPN could dangle some offers out there, and see if the 10 FBS conferences bite....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:35 am 
Senior
Senior

The intent is to retain the bowl system,
mixing in the playoffs. That's a lot
of TV money and exposure. It gives
a big mass of schools opportunities for
post-season play, with the overwhelming
number not having a chance otherwise.
Scheduling and academics concerns
show opposition to extending the season further.
Late January is PRO time.
Maybe keep just the 4 slots with 'champions'
from the 4 top performing conferences.
No more Ohio State auto-bids. That
proved one time too many.
By champions, mean championship game
conference winners.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:10 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The bowls have become laughable.

One day just before New Years, there were 3 bowls, featuring five (5) 6-6 teams and one (1) 5-7 team.

Stadiums are 10% full, some family members, 2 bands and a few locals.
the camera angles stay low to avoid showing empty seats.

ESPN owns these for couch-potato programming.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

As someone who watched more than half of them this season, I enjoyed them for the most part. Some of the lower profile bowls delivered some great games as well as an appreciable number of the bigger games. That noted 40 bowls appear as too much proliferation. Schools want the extra practices and exposure and what little money may come their way. Commercial sponsors want the profits from advertising, and hosting communities want the business revenue for hotels, restaurants, etc. It is filler content for ESPN (or for a few, another) during the holidays in which all they do is sports related.

There are pro and con arguments:

http://www.si.com/college-football/2017 ... -pass-pork"

http://www.clintonherald.com/sports/are ... b0bd0.html"

As to 5-7 teams receiving bids, that can happen when a conference is unable to meet their agreed upon slots in contracting with bowls. Thus, the bowls may look elsewhere among what is available. There is still eligibility criteria. In the case of Miss. State receiving a bid at being 5-7, they had a high academic progress rating at 971, 12 points higher than the national average, and 2nd best among 12 teams eligible among that criteria. The MSU Bulldogs, then @ 5-7, and finished 6-7, were one of three teams without six bowl-eligible wins to earn a berth based on their Academic Progress Rate rankings. This explains more of it from the standpoint coming from MSU.

http://hailstate.com/news/2016/12/4/foo ... -bowl.aspx"

The individual schools are not the blame for this. Few, nowadays, will turn down a bowl bid, even if they don't financially profit or even lose money with travel costs. It's a useful recruiting tool.

If the number of bowls are cut, hopefully slots will be retained for schools with excellent seasons from the G-5 conferences and independents.

There is a current moratorium on approving new bowls, and there are three or so cities awaiting acceptance. Maybe, for the lower profile bowls, there could be a rotation system by years. It seems unfair only certain cities may sponsor bowls, and there's no competition about this beyond the capacity to attract the names and records of teams.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

It's been a while since anybody posted anything, so I thought I might say hi to everyone, hope all is well. Hope everybody had a great holiday season and a happy new year!

It seems that conference expansion is done for the short term. That being said, I wanted to post a question to the board. As we get closer to the end of the Big 12 GOR, what happens if all members of the Big 12 do the unexpected and extend their GOR? Assuming that nothing changes with TV viewership, would the Big 12 look to expand at that point?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:19 am 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
You are correct that there is not an official over-arching organization in the role of organizing schools / conferences for efficiency.

However, the schools / conferences DO respond to the TV networks and their offerings and potential offerings.

It appears that ESPN and FOX (through their TV contracts) are in a position to "suggest" various re-structuring.

ESPN could dangle some offers out there, and see if the 10 FBS conferences bite....

Oh, well yeah. It's an extraordinary jump, that I think Fox would have to start. But I could totally see Fox saying "what if Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and West Virginia were in a conference with UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, SMU, Temple, UCF and USF? THAT we'd pay for!" and ESPN thinking "You know, we could just consolidate all our college properties into like, 60 schools that play each other in most sports..."

And basically each network's property would look like a pro league that played NCAA sports.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:44 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

hendu1976fl wrote:
It seems that conference expansion is done for the short term. That being said, I wanted to post a question to the board. As we get closer to the end of the Big 12 GOR, what happens if all members of the Big 12 do the unexpected and extend their GOR? Assuming that nothing changes with TV viewership, would the Big 12 look to expand at that point?

Hello hendu, you make good points and questions. From what can be understood at this point, and seeing some of the PAC 12 affiliated comments stemming from last October, it may be the PAC 12 that could be more oriented to future action compared to the other P5 conferences. I believe much of this relates to the PAC 12's ongoing negotiations and disputes with network carriers DirecTV and Dish, but my understanding on this particular matter is vague. A number of blogs that discuss some of these things don't put dates on their sites, so separating old news from newer developments can be confusing.

What appears to be a growing trend, in lieu of expansion which is contained largely by GoRs' and current media contracts, is the movement towards "scheduling alliances". Apparently, most of the major conferences like doing this if they can work out the details. The sports networks seem to be pushing or supporting it. See the Dennis Dodd article (CBS Sports) from early January. It notes the Big 12 is having scheduling alliance discussions with the PAC 12. The Big 12 also has discussed potential scheduling alliances with the SEC and the ACC. The Big 12 already has a basketball challenge with the SEC plus the Sugar Bowl agreement.

Several years ago, the PAC 12 allegedly withdrew from a football (maybe it was more comprehensive) proposal with the B1G. If I recall correctly, USC and Stanford later balked because they wanted to retain their yearly football scheduling with Notre Dame instead. Thus, the proposed agreement got canned. Now though, it appears the PAC 12 wants to make some changes to enhance their TV appeal eastward with more dynamic inter-sectional games for broadcasting.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footba ... ion-talks/"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

So many P5 schools now have way more revenue from TV, and like irresponsible children, have run out and immediately committed all that new money AND THEN SOME (see the story Freaked posted about Cal !)
Therefore, it's hardly a stretch to think that these "junkies" will now do whatever the TV Networks tell them to do, to score their next "fix" of TV money.

The PAC - Big Ten thing might have worked when both were at 12. Now the Big Ten is at 14, so not sure how they would match up opponents.

PAC-12 plays 9 conference games each year. Which leaves only 3 Out-Of-Conference (OOC) games.
If they were to commit to 1 of those vs. the B1G, then that leaves only 2 OOC games.
However, maybe Notre Dame is trending toward mediocrity.... If so, that might not be so horrible.

Looks like Baylor may be in the news for several years, playing down these allegations !
If so, when the GOR expires -
ACC could absorb West Virginia (and Notre Dame football)
SEC could add 2
B1G could add 2
PAC could add 4.

Voila ! 4 - 16 team conferences Baylor left out. CFP goes to 8 teams with auto-bids for the 4 P4 champs....
Possible - sure; Likely - who knows....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:58 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Looks like Baylor may be in the news for several years, playing down these allegations !
If so, when the GOR expires -
ACC could absorb West Virginia (and Notre Dame football)
SEC could add 2
B1G could add 2
PAC could add 4.

Voila ! 4 - 16 team conferences Baylor left out. CFP goes to 8 teams with auto-bids for the 4 P4 champs....
Possible - sure; Likely - who knows....

tute79, you went there. Sounds good. Maybe.
4 @ 16; 64 total.
No room for G5 pickups.
Yes, Baylor would be the sacrifice school.
Rumors have been this has been discussed
among P5 and networks. It may be part of
the reason the Big 12 did not expand.
Some of the speculative chatter:

ACC: Notre Dame FT football. Add WVU or ISU for 16.
(With ND, not too absurd since ISU is an AAU midwest school).

SEC: #15 Oklahoma. A lot of groundwork on that already.
#16. Oklahoma State, West Virginia, or KSU,
and even less likely, TCU.

B1G: #15. Kansas. #16. Texas (prefered); or ISU (hard sell in deal).

PAC 12: 2 options.
(1) Texas, Texas Tech, TCU (or KSU), and Oklahoma State.
(2) Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma State (or ISU), and Kansas State.

It will be tough to negotiate. A lot of give and take involved.
Networks can up the ante.
Benefits networks because fewer power conferences.
SEC could take State of Oklahoma off table by
accepting both OU and oSu.
TCU is lone private school, but Disciples of Christ affiliation
Is comparatively fairly progressive among religious schools.
Every P4 conference would get at least one school they
may not prefer, but is required in a blanket deal.
Texas' LHN goes with them for the duration, or
a monetary settlement is worked out with the
new conference and network.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:22 am 
Senior
Senior

hendu1976fl wrote:
It's been a while since anybody posted anything, so I thought I might say hi to everyone, hope all is well. Hope everybody had a great holiday season and a happy new year!

I would think if they renew the gor they have to expand. While most have the Big 12 dissolving when the for expires. I think at most the Big 12 loses 2 teams maybe 3 if they don't want to be associated with Baylor. I think the conference will lose either Texas or Oklahoma and a school associated with the one leaving.
If Texas leaves then they may take Tech with them.
If Oklahoma leaves then they take state with them.
I think the conference will then expand to at least 10 but maybe more. Should Texas leave with tech then Houston and maybe UTSA to get back into Texas. They may go to 12 at this point in the hopes of eventually expanding to 14 in the future. To get to 12 they can go after Colorado state and Louisiana Tech. They then may try and form a network.
If it's Oklahoma leaving then it will leave the conference with a problem as Texas may have more sway in conference matters. They may try for Tesla so they still have a game in Oklahoma.(they may not want to lose access to the state for TV. Then I think Houston will get a invite. Maybe Cincinnati and Colorado state to to 12.

Us National Soccer Team

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The minute that Texas / Oklahoma U leave, the Big XII ceases to be a P5 conference.

If the Big XII sits there waiting to be picked apart, the PAC would necessarily have to be VERY aggressive.
If the PAC is going to go that far east, they will want the premier schools.

I see PAC going after UT / OU / OSU / maybe TT / maybe Colorado State.
I see the ACC filling out their 16 by bring ND aboard for football and inviting West Virginia (although they COULD prefer UConn, except BC may block UConn).
SEC would want OU and OSU. They could settle for WVU and Houston, perhaps.
Big Ten would LIKE Texas, I think they would invite Kansas U. Not sure about KSU, might also think about UConn.

Possibly left out in cold:
Baylor (they REALLY DESPERATELY need to aggressively clean up their act / fix their image SOON !!!!)
TCU
Iowa State
Kansas State (might conceivably go to Big Ten with Kansas, Big ten would be somewhat reluctant).
Texas Tech (if PAC can get away with going after Texas ONLY, and has other preferred Western Schools)
WVU (if ACC prefers UConn)

These remnants would look to hook on with: AAC, MWC, CUSA.

AAC and MWC are second-tier FBS conferences; CUSA is third-tier but could move up by taking in several of these larger schools.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Foxsports article discussing Big 12 response to Baylor scandal at http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... lor-020817

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5848 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 385, 386, 387, 388, 389, 390  Next