NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:38 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:04 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Looks like we can finally eliminate BYU, Boise State, Colorado State or any school out west for future expansion into the Big 12.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/

This article and comments from Bowlsby was very informative and provided some real facts into which direction the Big 12 would take if expansion were to occur.

So if the NCAA requirement of 12 schools for a championship game is not changed, can we assume the Big 12 will finally expand back to 12?

If requiting is and important factor in future Big 12 expansion, UCF jumps up to the top of the list very quickly.

How would the Big 12 split divisions if Cincinnati and UCF were selected?

East: UCF?, Cincinnati?, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas

West: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas

Geographically the Kansas schools are in the eastern part of the state and would fit with Iowa State in the east allowing the Texas and Oklahoma schools remain in the same division.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
Looks like we can finally eliminate BYU, Boise State, Colorado State or any school out west for future expansion into the Big 12.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This article and comments from Bowlsby was very informative and provided some real facts into which direction the Big 12 would take if expansion were to occur.

So if the NCAA requirement of 12 schools for a championship game is not changed, can we assume the Big 12 will finally expand back to 12?

If requiting is and important factor in future Big 12 expansion, UCF jumps up to the top of the list very quickly.

Geographically the Kansas schools are in the eastern part of the state and would fit with Iowa State in the east allowing the Texas and Oklahoma schools remain in the same division.

While I would love for some of those Western schools to join the XII, the conference made its mind up which direction it would expand when it added West Virginia. Probably better for college football anyways for a couple reasons - 1) The overwhelming majority of programs are East of the Mississippi River, and 2) the Mt West maintains its identity as a strong Western conference (I do wonder if BYU will ever join again.) If the XII did expand West with BYU, Colorado St, and Boise St along with Cincinnati to the East, the Mt West would probably fill with Idaho and maybe New Mexico St??? It'd be a far weaker conference which is probably worse for college football altogether.

As far as splitting the conferences, I dislike the zipper format with the Texas schools but that might be the way to go to keep Texas and Oklahoma from meeting in the regular season and again in the conference championship as well as keeping the conferences somewhat balanced...

With 12 (assuming Cincinnati + UCF or Memphis) -
West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St
East: West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF/Memphis, Baylor, TCU, Iowa St

In general, Memphis just seems much more reasonable of an expansion candidate because of that silly thing called "geography."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:22 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
lash wrote:

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I would love for some of those Western schools to join the XII, the conference made its mind up which direction it would expand when it added West Virginia. Probably better for college football anyways for a couple reasons - 1) The overwhelming majority of programs are East of the Mississippi River, and 2) the Mt West maintains its identity as a strong Western conference (I do wonder if BYU will ever join again.) If the XII did expand West with BYU, Colorado St, and Boise St along with Cincinnati to the East, the Mt West would probably fill with Idaho and maybe New Mexico St??? It'd be a far weaker conference which is probably worse for college football altogether.

As far as splitting the conferences, I dislike the zipper format with the Texas schools but that might be the way to go to keep Texas and Oklahoma from meeting in the regular season and again in the conference championship as well as keeping the conferences somewhat balanced...

With 12 (assuming Cincinnati + UCF or Memphis) -
West: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St
East: West Virginia, Cincinnati, UCF/Memphis, Baylor, TCU, Iowa St

In general, Memphis just seems much more reasonable of an expansion candidate because of that silly thing called "geography."

It is good that Bowlsby admitted which is what most thought with WVU, the Big 12 would always continue to expand east. BYU just appeared to be such a good school, however, geography has played a major role or will in preventing BYU from getting into the Big 12. BYU is a good fit for the Pac 12 if it were not for the conservative nature of this school. As a BYU fan would be very concerned with the door shut on Big 12, there are not many options out there for an independent. Notre Dame is really no longer an independent as the school has access bowl with the Orange Bowl and plays a semi ACC schedule. BYU is really in a bad spot with the MWC not adding much help with other leagues that can grab the only access bowl bid each year.

As for divisions, I do not believe the zipper really works well. Likewise do not believe the crazy names such as the Atlantic and Costal of the ACC or the even worse Big 10 Leaders and Legends work for clarity. College football is basically very simple and fans like it that way and it is easy to identify teams by the division that play such as the Big 10 going the true east and west division format to keep things simple and easy for fans to understand and follow.

As for Memphis, I am not sold on Memphis to the Big 12 for many reasons. I do not see Memphis really helping that much with requiting. Granted the school is deep in SEC country, however, if a future Big 12 school plays in Memphis is that really helping a kid that may come from the state of Mississippi or Louisiana filling like they are playing in front of home town fans. Memphis has horrible academics which can be used as a excuse for taking a team. Memphis is also not really a good TV market in comparison to say an Orlando or Tampa.

The key message from Bowlsby interview implied any expansion would be to the benefit if West Virginia. WVU did take many risk and played a huge price to ensure the Big 12 current TV contact was keep in tack once Missouri and Texas A&M bolted so there is going to be many allegiances to helping that school.

Central Florida is ideal for helping WVU keep strong requiting grounds in the state of Florida and for any of the other Big 12 schools that want to requite the state of Florida. Memphis does very little to help WVU and travel to Florida is just about as easy for WVU fans as going to west Tennessee. There are far more WVU graduates living in Florida as well.

It certainly is starting to narrow down the potential expansion candidates based on the Bowlsby comments.

I would put UCF and Cincinnati close to the top of the list if the Big 12 expands in the next few months based on the NCAA decision to allow or not allow a championship game with 12 schools.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:46 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
“We have one member in West Virginia that’s on the East Coast,” Bowlsby said. “We have to be mindful of their situation. If we took somebody in that was on the far West Coast it would certainly do a disservice to our member in West Virginia. As I mentioned earlier, it may be a different set of criteria to some of our members than it is to other members. As the commissioner, I certainly have to take all 10 institutions and their sensitivities into play.”

All this means is with expansion, at least one school will be east, not necessarily all expansion candidates.

Still think BYU (not on the far west coast) and UCF

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:42 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Hearing UCF as an eastern concession for WVU is so bogus. It does nothing to help WVU's travel. It just gives the Mountaineers their Florida recruiting territory back. It's not like UCF does enough for the Big XII's overall reputation: it's not at the top of the list academically, there are better markets, UCF is, at best, FL's fourth-rate school, and UCF, outside of football?

For as much talk as there is about Texas' meddling ways, maybe doing business with the Mountaineers was the real mistake?

I still think these will be BYU and Cincy's spots to lose. But if BYU is really out of it, then maybe it's happy times for Tulane or Rice? I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel yet for UCF and Memphis.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:24 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Teams travel by charter jets, not much difference between Cincinnati and Orlando. For fans sure, but not for teams.
What helps a team the most is winning, and this requires the right recruits. That matters.
So for WVU the already have 4-5 conference home games. Another 1-2 conference away game nearby for the fans don't seem all that important to trump winning and recruiting. As long as WVU can get 2-3 non conference nearby (Pittsburgh, Virginia tech' Maryland) they will do fine.

Which is more important to WVU, fans travel to and recruit in ohio? Or recruit in Florida?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:44 am 
Senior
Senior

UCF is too far away from the rest of the pack(big 12, as is)...they aren't even close to West Virginia. No need to increase the amount of schools that are out of the footprint, again.

Cincy helps connect WVU to the group, plus it starts to create a northern division that won't require Oklahoma to go north. Now, follow up Cincy with Tulane...and everything fits together nicely.

Big 12:
North -- WVU, Cincy, Iowa St, K St, Kansas and OSU
South -- OU, Tech, TCU, Baylor, Texas, Tulane

New Orleans fits much better with the attitudes and expectations of the current Big 12...plus, they are much closer, for travel, to everyone else in their division. New Orleans has plenty of amenities: Super Dome, new on-campus stadium at Tulane, hotels, world famous restaurants, Pro football, Pro basketball, etc., etc. So, everything the Big 12 needs is right in their backyard.
Some might say....Tulane isn't good enough to get into the Big 12. And they may be correct....but, that isn't really what the Big 12 needs. The Big 12 needs the correct number of schools. That is the most important item. There is already enough talent in the conference.....they only need decent programs that fit the mold(similar to Rutgers and Maryland for the Big 10).

With Cincy and Tulane....the geographic line that most of the conference sits on(I-35)...shifts eastward, which fills in the footprint smartly.

If, it is so important for WVU to have some recruiting potential in Florida...they can always schedule an out of conference game there, every year, if they choose.

Tulane might be the best school in the conference as far as academics, as soon as they joined? They also have the potential to be the second best athletic school in their state. Mostly, since LaTech and ULL aren't world beaters. With UCF...they might not ever get above fourth in their state.

My top two followed by the next two:
1 Tulane
2 Cincy
3 Rice
4 UCF

Big 14:
North -- WVU, Cincy, Iowa St, K State, Kansas, Baylor , TCU
South -- UCF, Tulane, Rice, Texas, Tech, OU, OSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:06 am 
Senior
Senior

Tulane and Rice are nothing for the B12 as a drain on tv money.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Huan wrote:
Which is more important to WVU, fans travel to and recruit in ohio? Or recruit in Florida?

Considering WVU didn't think much of their fans by wanting the old Big East footprint widened by schools from Texas rather than more local options (Memphis and ECU, who WVU and UL supposedly blocked), I question the sincerity of their concerns.

They'd probably double down in Florida if it was up to them. Guaranteed trip to the state.

All of this because...WVU can't recruit well from PA, OH, MD, and VA. I've read some WVU fans downplaying Cincinnati's worth...well, that would be why...WVU can't win the battles in OH that Cincy can. OH's kind of useless to WVU recruit, even if it would ease the fans' travels.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:50 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Agree with bishin

Thus if the big XII expand WVU will have A preference and they will take UCF over Cincinnati

The other 9 big xii teams will take BYU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:07 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Adding Cincinnati and Memphis now is basically setting up this for 2026...

Big XII
Cincinnati
Memphis
West Virginia
TCU
Baylor
Kansas State
Iowa State
Connecticut
East Carolina
Tulane

(or something similar)

There is no possible Big XII Expansion plan from here to eternity that would entice Texas/Oklahoma/OSU/TT/Kansas to stay in the Big XII for the 2025-2026 year of college sports. The closest they could come would be something like adding a combo/all of: BYU/Rice/Tulane/Cincy/Colorado State right now and hope that bunch is up to P5 respectability in 2024; the year in which Texas/Oklahoma/OSU/TT/Kansas start getting serious offers from the other P5's.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

mozilla wrote:
UCF is too far away from the rest of the pack(big 12, as is)...they aren't even close to West Virginia. No need to increase the amount of schools that are out of the footprint, again.

Cincy helps connect WVU to the group, plus it starts to create a northern division that won't require Oklahoma to go north. Now, follow up Cincy with Tulane...and everything fits together nicely.

Big 12:

New Orleans fits much better with the attitudes and expectations of the current Big 12...plus, they are much closer, for travel, to everyone else in their division. New Orleans has plenty of amenities: Super Dome, new on-campus stadium at Tulane, hotels, world famous restaurants, Pro football, Pro basketball, etc., etc. So, everything the Big 12 needs is right in their backyard.
Some might say....Tulane isn't good enough to get into the Big 12. And they may be correct....but, that isn't really what the Big 12 needs. The Big 12 needs the correct number of schools. That is the most important item. There is already enough talent in the conference.....they only need decent programs that fit the mold(similar to Rutgers and Maryland for the Big 10).

With Cincy and Tulane....the geographic line that most of the conference sits on(I-35)...shifts eastward, which fills in the footprint smartly.

If, it is so important for WVU to have some recruiting potential in Florida...they can always schedule an out of conference game there, every year, if they choose.

Tulane might be the best school in the conference as far as academics, as soon as they joined? They also have the potential to be the second best athletic school in their state. Mostly, since LaTech and ULL aren't world beaters. With UCF...they might not ever get above fourth in their state.

1 Tulane
2 Cincy
3 Rice
4 UCF

Big 14:

There are folks on this board still pushing for BYU to the Big 12. Guess they just do not believe Bowlsby! http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/

BYU and any other school out west are out consideration for Big 12 membership and everyone should accept that fact if they want to truly understand the Big 12 next moves.

Since there are very reliable sources the Big 12 has meet with Cincinnati about possible membership, you have to believe Cincinnati is the top choice for this league if expansion is going to occur.

I do believe the conference is waiting on the decision of the NCAA to relax restrictions on number of teams required for a championship conference football game.

Since we now know for sure that any expansion teams are going to be in the east, do not see Tulane getting the invite. Tulane does not strike me as an eastern team or teams that Bowlsby is referencing. Why would the Texas schools want a school in New Orleans so close the four Texas schools that could compete for other Texas kids. UCF is far enough away and the state of Florida has superior requiting edge over other deep south states.

I think the Big 12 would be smart to take UCF and provide WVU a requiting edge over most northern ACC schools and Big Ten schools as well especially Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland that are competing for the same kids.

Bowlsby comments are very revealing and requiting is going to be a big factor along with geography. The only other dark horse that possibly could compete with UCF is UConn. I would consider Cincinnati a lock should be the Big 12 deside to expand because the school helps each of Bowlsby factors that will be considered for expansion.

I don't think there is any question the Big 12 will select two schools that most benefit West Virginia. The other current nine schools are fine with close or nearly close by schools.

Based on Bowlsy interview, my prediction does not change should the Big 12 decide to expand.

East: UCF, WVU, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State
West: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma

The Kansas schools would get a trip every other year to sunny Florida and gain valuable requiting exposure. Keeping the Texas and Oklahoma schools in the same west division will provide enough exposure for requiting in Texas.

Just think in a few years we may see a top ten UCF team facing a top ranked Texas in the Cowboy stadium for the Big 12 championship game.

It is important to understand the SEC and Big 12 are huge rivals in requiting and a great deal of why Texas A&M moved to the SEC. A great payback to the SEC is taking a Florida school to balance out power. When that school greatly enhances the eastern school of West Virginia is just is win/win for the Big 12.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

lash wrote:
There are folks on this board still pushing for BYU to the Big 12. Guess they just do not believe Bowlsby! http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BYU and any other school out west are out consideration for Big 12 membership and everyone should accept that fact if they want to truly understand the Big 12 next moves.

Since there are very reliable sources the Big 12 has meet with Cincinnati about possible membership, you have to believe Cincinnati is the top choice for this league if expansion is going to occur.

I do believe the conference is waiting on the decision of the NCAA to relax restrictions on number of teams required for a championship conference football game.

Since we now know for sure that any expansion teams are going to be in the east, do not see Tulane getting the invite. Tulane does not strike me as an eastern team or teams that Bowlsby is referencing. Why would the Texas schools want a school in New Orleans so close the four Texas schools that could compete for other Texas kids. UCF is far enough away and the state of Florida has superior requiting edge over other deep south states.

I think the Big 12 would be smart to take UCF and provide WVU a requiting edge over most northern ACC schools and Big Ten schools as well especially Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland that are competing for the same kids.

Bowlsby comments are very revealing and requiting is going to be a big factor along with geography. The only other dark horse that possibly could compete with UCF is UConn. I would consider Cincinnati a lock should be the Big 12 deside to expand because the school helps each of Bowlsby factors that will be considered for expansion.

I don't think there is any question the Big 12 will select two schools that most benefit West Virginia. The other current nine schools are fine with close or nearly close by schools.

Based on Bowlsy interview, my prediction does not change should the Big 12 decide to expand.

The Kansas schools would get a trip every other year to sunny Florida and gain valuable requiting exposure. Keeping the Texas and Oklahoma schools in the same west division will provide enough exposure for requiting in Texas.

Just think in a few years we may see a top ten UCF team facing a top ranked Texas in the Cowboy stadium for the Big 12 championship game.

It is important to understand the SEC and Big 12 are huge rivals in requiting and a great deal of why Texas A&M moved to the SEC. A great payback to the SEC is taking a Florida school to balance out power. When that school greatly enhances the eastern school of West Virginia is just is win/win for the Big 12.

Someone on the Boise Rivals board put together a compilation of Bowlsby quotes during the CFP selection process. He waffled on Baylor vs TCU and was inconsistent on the need for a CCG and the expansion to go with it.

That doesn't mean Bowlsby is wrong about the merits of going east. I tend to agree with that. Thing is, this was the line emerging out of Austin LAST YEAR. My point is that Bowlsby is not the leader in this whole mess. The leadership coming out of Texas is even more... wait. Not suspicious. Incompetent?

If there were owner shares of Big 12 stock, I'd seriously advise to sell.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:48 pm 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
mozilla wrote:

Big 12:

1 Tulane
2 Cincy
3 Rice
4 UCF

Big 14:

There are folks on this board still pushing for BYU to the Big 12. Guess they just do not believe Bowlsby! http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What is 'requiting'?
Do you mean recruiting?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

pounder wrote:
lash wrote:
There are folks on this board still pushing for BYU to the Big 12. Guess they just do not believe Bowlsby! http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... to-expand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone on the Boise Rivals board put together a compilation of Bowlsby quotes during the CFP selection process. He waffled on Baylor vs TCU and was inconsistent on the need for a CCG and the expansion to go with it.

That doesn't mean Bowlsby is wrong about the merits of going east. I tend to agree with that. Thing is, this was the line emerging out of Austin LAST YEAR. My point is that Bowlsby is not the leader in this whole mess. The leadership coming out of Texas is even more... wait. Not suspicious. Incompetent?

If there were owner shares of Big 12 stock, I'd seriously advise to sell.

If you think Texas controls the whole conference....you seriously underestimate the other members.

Baylor is the back to back conference champ.
OU has owned Texas in fb for the last ten years.
Kansas is the hands down leader in basketball.
How is it that Texas still gets accused of pulling ALL the strings? This conference is made up of strong institutions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3405 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 223, 224, 225, 226, 227