NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:45 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:03 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
I believe the GoR expires in 2025.
The LHN contract expires in 2030, and ESPN has already acknowledged that it's a big money-loser, and they regret the deal (so don't expect it to be renewed).

I would think that by about 2023 or so, the Big XII will re-open discussions about extending the TV contract.

If FOX / ESPN "low-ball" them, my guess is that OU will see the writing on the wall, and start discussions with the SEC and PAC
It remains to be seen whether they have to pull OSU along with them.... I actually think OSU is a decent "property".
Not a huge market, but a fair-to-good athletic program with a decent number of alumni fans.

Texas might find a conference where they collect more TV money through the conference's TV deals, than they collect from the LHN
(SEC / BTN, probably NOT ACC / PAC).
If they think about moving in 2025, depending on what league they move to, ESPN might help facilitate things by letting Texas opt out of the LHN for 2025-2030.
For instance, it UT were to move to a conference where ESPN owns the TV contract, ESPN might say, let's kill the LHN, we'll give you a one-time cash payment of $x,
and then going forward you get the same deal as all other teams in your new conference...

So, expansion is dead for now. But say we get to 2020 and it looks like OU and UT might leave the conference for greener pastures, will expansion begin to heat up again? Could the Big 12 survive as a P5 conference if only those two schools left?

Would the remaining 8 schools decide to come together and get serious about expansion? Or do you believe it would be an "every man for himself" mentality with the remaining 8 schools?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:38 pm 
Senior
Senior

hendu1976fl wrote:
tute79 wrote:
I believe the GoR expires in 2025.
The LHN contract expires in 2030, and ESPN has already acknowledged that it's a big money-loser, and they regret the deal (so don't expect it to be renewed).

I would think that by about 2023 or so, the Big XII will re-open discussions about extending the TV contract.

If FOX / ESPN "low-ball" them, my guess is that OU will see the writing on the wall, and start discussions with the SEC and PAC
It remains to be seen whether they have to pull OSU along with them.... I actually think OSU is a decent "property".
Not a huge market, but a fair-to-good athletic program with a decent number of alumni fans.

Texas might find a conference where they collect more TV money through the conference's TV deals, than they collect from the LHN
(SEC / BTN, probably NOT ACC / PAC).
If they think about moving in 2025, depending on what league they move to, ESPN might help facilitate things by letting Texas opt out of the LHN for 2025-2030.
For instance, it UT were to move to a conference where ESPN owns the TV contract, ESPN might say, let's kill the LHN, we'll give you a one-time cash payment of $x,
and then going forward you get the same deal as all other teams in your new conference...

So, expansion is dead for now. But say we get to 2020 and it looks like OU and UT might leave the conference for greener pastures, will expansion begin to heat up again? Could the Big 12 survive as a P5 conference if only those two schools left?

Would the remaining 8 schools decide to come together and get serious about expansion? Or do you believe it would be an "every man for himself" mentality with the remaining 8 schools?

depends on when OU & UT announces, most likely right before media renegotiation
without OU & UT, the remaining 8 would be like the MWC and thus likely get G5 money and thus the question would be who would want to move from one G6 to another? maybe some might but probably not the same candidates as was entertained and interviewed this round

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

If and when OU and UT leave (maybe a few others would get P5 invitations), there would be perhaps half a conference out in the plains.

Perhaps they might link up with Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulane, etc.
Right now the AAC and MWC are top tier of the G5. Such a league would fall into that same tier, in my opinion.

Wichita State seems to be interested in adding football and raising their overall profile.
However, they seem to not realize that G5 football is not nearly as lucrative as P5 football.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:57 am 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
If and when OU and UT leave (maybe a few others would get P5 invitations), there would be perhaps half a conference out in the plains.

Perhaps they might link up with Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Rice, Tulane, etc.
Right now the AAC and MWC are top tier of the G5. Such a league would fall into that same tier, in my opinion.

Wichita State seems to be interested in adding football and raising their overall profile.
However, they seem to not realize that G5 football is not nearly as lucrative as P5 football.

Okay, lets say that OU, OSU, UT, and TTU bid farewell to the Big 12 when their TV contract is up. That leaves WVU, Iowa State, KSU, KU, TCU and Baylor.

I'm not sure the Pac 12 would be all that interested in what is left. So lets say that those 6 six schools remain. What happens next? Do those six schools bring in fresh blood from the G5 and try to rebrand the big 12? Or do they seek membership in whatever G5 conference will have them?

A rebranded Big 12 could become a mix of what is leftover from the Big 12 and the very best of the G5 and expand to 14 or 16 universities.

WVU, Iowa State, KU, KSU, TCU, Baylor, BYU, Boise ST, Colorado St, Memphis, USF, UCF, Cincy, Temple, Houston and Tulsa/ECU/SDSU/Navy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:35 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Sure - Entirely possible.

So you figure the Texahoma 4 would go to the SEC and Big Ten ? (not the PAC ?)

Much of how this whole scenario might shake out depends on where those teams go...
If the Big Ten doesn't take any of them, would they expand with Kansas and ?
If the P4 are moving to 16, would the ACC take WVU ?

At that point, the left-overs will be talking to AAC / MWC (or schools from those leagues) trying to create something that includes themselves prominently.

This probably isn't going to go down until we approach the 2024-25 time frame (when Big XII GoR is set to expire).
But who knows.... a lot can happen in 8 years.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:10 pm 
Senior
Senior

Whats left of the B12 will merge with BYU,CSU,Cinn,UCONN,thats 10 and other schools from AAC.This will not be a P5 league.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:19 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Tilman Fertitta is not so pleased with U. Texas and what happened to Houston:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/tilman-fer ... d=43871152

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-footba ... u203qvvf1a

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:16 pm 
Senior
Senior

I still think not expanding at all will be a huge regret for non OU / UT big xii.

All my candidates have done well as the season ends:
Air Force: 9 wins
Navy: 9+ wins and division champions
BYU: 8 wins
Temple: 10 wins and conference champions

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:07 pm 
Junior
Junior

This year's Bob Bowlsby's new playoff complaint:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ke-playoff

The argument: Two years ago, OSU benefits from CCG,
at the expense of TCU (and maybe Baylor).
Now, OSU gets in w/o being division champ
and playing in the CCG.
Washington gets in with playing a weak non-
conference schedule, though it did not work
for Baylor 2 years ago. He indicates the B12
upgraded NCSs' because of that.

Really, OU, who made it last year, didn't do so
this year, is due to mainly having two season loses.

Seeing the B12 complain again after their
recent, staged non-expansion show that
went on for months, is getting bizarre.

The B12 has equal representation on the
selection committee. That equals each of the
other P5 schools who each have more members
than the B12. And Kirby Hocutt, AD at TTU, is the
committee chair.

Using Bowlsby's clarity questions, Penn State,
with two loses, would have the best argument
for inclusion, given that they won the BIG CCG,
and had beaten OSU.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:06 pm 
Senior
Senior

I think he was suggesting that Penn state should have been in instead of Ohio State
Or it was more an argument against Ohio State rather than for OU

The ccg win didn't do enough for psu, but it didn't hurt them either
It likely helped Clemson and Washington solidify their place.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ke-playoff

The simple fact is there is no clarity to college football which is a complete sham to all the fans that have supported this sport over the many years.

The four team playoff is just the BCS reincarnated with four teams.

I will use a line from a famous movie that brought much controversy at the time "I wish I knew how to quit you". The problem is many of us fans have been following college football from the time we were kids and like sheep keep following this so called sport because we love it and just can not quit the sport.

If you take college basketball and let the committee pick the final four teams and avoid the playoff, you get the idea of how many times the committee so call nail the final four picks.

There is absolutely no reason college football can not take the champions of all 10 FBS leagues and have six at large for the Ohio State's of the world that can not win in the regular season and their respective conference title. If those 10 leagues are not deemed worthy of FBS, have the NCAA move those leagues to the FCS.

Please no more talk about an extended playoff will impact the regular season because Ohio State making the playoff over Penn State is all the proof you need the regular season does not matter in college football.

The Big Ten expanded from 11 to 14 which would have avoided the issue of a one loss Ohio State winning the league title to make more money for this greedy league and we call this progress in college football.

When we all finally see the light and understand that college football is not really much different that Olympic ice figure skating, the Big 12 can finally relax and understand that nothing you do will change the judges opinions of figure skating, excuse me the college football playoff committee.

I am so tired as a true college football fan of this total body of work comments from the championship committee which is basically total body of Bull Sh!t. The other pet pea is with the so called eye test.

All pro sports and most college sports exception of football actually make the decision of winning a championship on the field of play. No this simply can not take place in college football. This sport is just too special to actually be fair.

Big 12 you did the right decision by not expanding because the CCG has proven is useless function in college sports and once Texas becomes Texas again you can drop this made for TV game.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I think the 4 teams they took are defendable - they had 0 or 1 loss, the teams left out all had 2 losses or more.

HAVING SAID THAT - a four-team bracket just isn't large enough to accommodate all the legitimate contenders !

The whole idea is to "settle it on the field" !
By excluding the Big Ten champ (PSU) and the Big XII champ (OU), it feels like too much is being decided in the committee room.

I feel an 8-team bracket is big enough to include all the worthy teams.
5 auto-bids and 3 at-large. Let's say if there are G5 teams with one loss or less, at least ONE G5 team receives an at-large.
It seems as though the 14-team / 2 division leagues have a tougher gaunlet to run through than the Big XII or PAC-12,
with potentially more good teams and a CCG.
So in order to qualify for an auto-bid, maybe stipulate a minimum conference size.

I think it is possible to choose 8 teams, such that the 9th team (best left out) really would NOT have a very legitimate claim to "being the best" /
"potentially being the National Champion".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm 
Junior
Junior

tute79 wrote:
I think the 4 teams they took are defendable - they had 0 or 1 loss, the teams left out all had 2 losses or more.

Agree it is defendable. Alabama is the selection
@ #1 that's unquestionable. People can argue
about the order of 2 thru 4 or if PSU or another
should be there instead of one of those. Two
season loses was the killer.
The committee weighs multiple factors, including
PSU's 2 loses, one a 39 point loss to Michigan
back in late September. OU had September loses
to Houston and Ohio State by 3 touchdowns.
Southern Cal, Michigan, maybe another, could
argue they belong from certain angles.
BIG'S Delany noted he pressed for all conference
champions when the playoffs began. Now he
says the consensus 4 best prevails.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:59 pm 
Senior
Senior

WMU should have been included; they are clearly better than their G5 peers and better than the lower tier B1G teams they beat.
Don't know if they should be ahead of a 12-1 P5 but at least on par with a 10-2 P5.
8 teams playoff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The consensus of most FANS (including President Obama, who (love him or hate him) had this one CORRECT) was to have an 8-team bracket.

I think the driver for 4 had to do mostly with scheduling.
Then the poo-bahs, tried to justify it as saying they didn't want to go to 8 out of concern for the student-athletes... (GIVE ME A ****ING BREAK !)

The 4-team bracket uses pre-existing New Years Bowls for the semi-finals.
The NFL playoffs get going typically the first weekend after New Years.
So how do you fit an 8-game bracket in there ?

The NCG Game is OK on a Monday, and is a big enough game that you can fill the stadium with fans + comp. tickets, even though it's not on the weekend.
Having a round of games at neutral fields can be done at New Years, when we have knowledge that people WILL TRAVEL to bowls.
Here comes the hard part....

Do we add a round of quarter-finals during Christmas week ? A lot of fans would complain about travel over Christmas and ticket sales might suck.
Perhaps that round could be at the higher-seed's home field, which would minimize travel (basically the stadium might be full of the home team's fans....
FCS Playoffs holds early rounds at higher-seeds home field. But I'm not sure they don't avoid Christmas week....

OR do we use 4 New Years Bowls as quarter-finals (which should work),
then hold semi-finals MID-WEEK (to avoid NFL conflict) during non-holiday (would people travel to that ?),
and then hold NCG on Monday night one week later than currently ?

Those would seem to be the options for scheduling an 8-team bracket.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5805 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387