NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Mesa Lejos wrote:
poyman wrote:
Mesa Lejos wrote:
poyman wrote:
Also surprising according to this guy is that BYU has said they will make two alterations to their Honor Code.

Poyman, you have to know this is nonsense.
The SLC Tribune or another credible source
would report such.
Look how you have defended BYU 's stance?
There's a face-saving element for BYU involved.
They certainly don't want to be seen altering their
religious/doctrine convictions, as rigid and
controversial as they be, to receive a bid to the B12.
They may be willing to give women reporting
sexual assault some protection from honor code penalties,
but I doubt they would make
other major honor code modifications.

Actually I don't think that it's non-sense... While BYU will not change their beliefs on Marriage (one man and one woman)they do not like being in the middle of controversy... What that means in terms of adjustments to their HC in regards to the LGBT issue, I don't know. I'm guessing that if they are in fact working on it, they are probably consulting with influential people from the Big XII, selected LGBT leaders, and Legal authorities... Can a compromise be worked out? I guess we'll see. It's been done before (January 2015 http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/mormon ... lgbt-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) when the LDS Leadership came out in support of non-discrimination legislation in the State of Utah... The LDS Leadership used it's lobbying power in the state to help push through the protecting legislation in exchange for the LGBT Organizations dropping their protests against the LDS position on Marriage.

All of the other stuff that he argues (i.e. Cincy, UH and BYU being the only three serious contenders, WVU not wanting Cincy, Maybe killing Expansion all together, ESPN and FOX lobbying strongly for BYU, etc.) all makes sense and matches the majority of the opinions that I have heard. The argument also seems to be backed with good logic and some unnamed insider information according to the Writer.

It was also very interesting last weekend when BYU played WVU... The WV fans at the game and writers from the University or from the Morgantown area were very supportive of BYU being invited into the Conference. Several articles mention that fact.

If I had to put money on who's right with how this will all turn out between lash and this author... I would definitely go with the Author. But again, I guess we'll see.

Who knows, maybe the WV Dude will
receive a Pulitzer.

WVU is not killing Big 12 expansion and is one of the pro schools for expansion. The reason is simple, WVU wants a more close by school and is not against Cincinnati. I am not sure where this non sense rumor came from.

Cincinnati was a virtual lock when the Big 12 meetings ended in Phoenix in July. The consultancy firm recommended the Big 12 expand with 12 schools and play an eight game schedule to improve the odds of reaching the playoff in most years.

UCF and BYU were the other two schools discussed the most as possibly the 12th school to go along with Cincinnati.

Its too bad that UCF did not come out the gate running this year in football because this may have been enough to over shadow Houston. Just the opposite occurred and with Houston politics getting involved, the issue has become very fluid.

My hope is the Big 12 will go back to the facts they learned in the Phoenix meetings based on the recommendations of the consultancy firm and settle on Cincinnati and UCF.

Houston and BYU have become too toxic and controversial in considerations.

UCF would be the wild card to bring Texas and Oklahoma back to the middle ground and could help Texas decision. Hey Texas UCF has much benefits in recruiting and can get eight votes that Houston and BYU are having issues.

TV considerations were included with the consultancy firm recommendations and were OK with UCF.

North: UCF, WVU, Cincinnati, Iowa Sate, Kansas, Kansas State

South: Texas, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma

UCF may be the compromise that can finally get the league to do the right thing an expand with 12 schools as recommended by the high paying consultancy firm.

UCF is in one of the fastest growing TV markets in the country, is one of the 10 largest enrollment of any FBS school, is in one of the top ten recruiting states for high school football talent, and finally is home to one of the Big 12 bowl sites.

After the July meeting here in Phoenix I was almost 100 percent convinced the league would expand with Cincinnati and UCF and be done with it.

Why this fiasco has dragged out so long should be an embarrassment to both the University of Oklahoma and the University of Texas.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:32 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Add Cincy, Houston, UCF, and USF and be done with it already.

WVU gets a conference member with some proximity to them.

Everyone in the North Division gets a Florida recruiting trip each year to either Orlando or Tampa and with the FL twins they don't create another island.

Texas gets another instate lacky and a division with the 4 instate schools and the OK twins.

Everyone can feel good about themselves because they caved to the left and the pro-gay lobby and discriminated against the best candidate out there because they disagree with their religious beliefs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:01 pm 
Junior
Junior

Mesa Lejos wrote:
poyman wrote:
Mesa Lejos wrote:
poyman wrote:
Also surprising according to this guy is that BYU has said they will make two alterations to their Honor Code.

Poyman, you have to know this is nonsense.
The SLC Tribune or another credible source
would report such.
Look how you have defended BYU 's stance?
There's a face-saving element for BYU involved.
They certainly don't want to be seen altering their
religious/doctrine convictions, as rigid and
controversial as they be, to receive a bid to the B12.
They may be willing to give women reporting
sexual assault some protection from honor code penalties,
but I doubt they would make
other major honor code modifications.

Actually I don't think that it's non-sense... While BYU will not change their beliefs on Marriage (one man and one woman)they do not like being in the middle of controversy... What that means in terms of adjustments to their HC in regards to the LGBT issue, I don't know. I'm guessing that if they are in fact working on it, they are probably consulting with influential people from the Big XII, selected LGBT leaders, and Legal authorities... Can a compromise be worked out? I guess we'll see. It's been done before (January 2015 http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/mormon ... lgbt-laws/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) when the LDS Leadership came out in support of non-discrimination legislation in the State of Utah... The LDS Leadership used it's lobbying power in the state to help push through the protecting legislation in exchange for the LGBT Organizations dropping their protests against the LDS position on Marriage.

All of the other stuff that he argues (i.e. Cincy, UH and BYU being the only three serious contenders, WVU not wanting Cincy, Maybe killing Expansion all together, ESPN and FOX lobbying strongly for BYU, etc.) all makes sense and matches the majority of the opinions that I have heard. The argument also seems to be backed with good logic and some unnamed insider information according to the Writer.

It was also very interesting last weekend when BYU played WVU... The WV fans at the game and writers from the University or from the Morgantown area were very supportive of BYU being invited into the Conference. Several articles mention that fact.

If I had to put money on who's right with how this will all turn out between lash and this author... I would definitely go with the Author. But again, I guess we'll see.

Who knows, maybe the WV Dude will
receive a Pulitzer.

Don't think it's pulitzer material but I think it's a decent opinion piece... At least as logical as other stuff that I have read on this board. (Trying to be nice).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:33 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

fighting muskie wrote:

Everyone in the North Division gets a Florida recruiting trip each year to either Orlando or Tampa and with the FL twins they don't create another island.

Texas gets another instate lacky and a division with the 4 instate schools and the OK twins.

Everyone can feel good about themselves because they caved to the left and the pro-gay lobby and discriminated against the best candidate out there because they disagree with their religious beliefs.

The one thing for sure this year, the Big 12 will most likely really need the 13 data point to have any chance of reaching the four team playoff.

Baylor has the best chance of going 11 and 1 or possibly 12 and 0 and could miss the playoff due to the Big 12 SOS conference schedule and no football conference championship game.

The Big 12 will have to decide if its wants a rematch every year or follow the consultancy firm suggestion and expand with 12 schools.

I really wish the Big 12 would be more like the ACC a not worry so much about what the networks think. The ACC which has all its marbles with ESPN did not give a crap if ESPN cared or not about forcing ESPN to start its network. You actually get more respect when you demand something you believe you need and deserve.

I personally do not like 14 member conferences as they have proven to be very unwieldy even for the very powerful leagues like the SEC and Big Ten. The Big Ten discussing moving Michigan State to the West Division and the SEC discussing moving Auburn to the East Division are just more of this issue caused with bloated leagues and unbalanced schedules.

The consultancy firm must have not thought much of needing the Houston market because Houston was never brought up until Texas politics got involved.

I am sure the Big 12 database could confirm this to be accurate.

It is amazing a league that has taken this long and have so many facts can not get its act together.

Maybe the Big 12 can make a decision on expansion, however, with Boren coming out and stating that expansion is not a sure thing just proves how state politics should be kept well out of athletics.

Just think what condition the ACC might be in right now, if the league would have remained with 9 schools! Virginia politics almost prevented the league from expanding.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:24 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

lash wrote:
fighting muskie wrote:

The one thing for sure this year, the Big 12 will most likely really need the 13 data point to have any chance of reaching the four team playoff.

Baylor has the best chance of going 11 and 1 or possibly 12 and 0 and could miss the playoff due to the Big 12 SOS conference schedule and no football conference championship game.

The Big 12 will have to decide if its wants a rematch every year or follow the consultancy firm suggestion and expand with 12 schools.

I really wish the Big 12 would be more like the ACC a not worry so much about what the networks think. The ACC which has all its marbles with ESPN did not give a crap if ESPN cared or not about forcing ESPN to start its network. You actually get more respect when you demand something you believe you need and deserve.

I personally do not like 14 member conferences as they have proven to be very unwieldy even for the very powerful leagues like the SEC and Big Ten. The Big Ten discussing moving Michigan State to the West Division and the SEC discussing moving Auburn to the East Division are just more of this issue caused with bloated leagues and unbalanced schedules.

The consultancy firm must have not thought much of needing the Houston market because Houston was never brought up until Texas politics got involved.

I am sure the Big 12 database could confirm this to be accurate.

It is amazing a league that has taken this long and have so many facts can not get its act together.

Maybe the Big 12 can make a decision on expansion, however, with Boren coming out and stating that expansion is not a sure thing just proves how state politics should be kept well out of athletics.

Just think what condition the ACC might be in right now, if the league would have remained with 9 schools! Virginia politics almost prevented the league from expanding.

Well here we go again with Boren making yet another statement that Oklahoma is not against expansion. http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college ... -expansion

The problem with the Big 12 expansion process is they needed to have made a decision shortly after the July meetings.

I can understand that ESPN may prefer BYU because the network already has a contract with BYU and will have to decide if the network wants to renew the deal with BYU. FOX on the other hand already has Utah and the rest of the west with the Pac 12 contract.

You would have to believe that FOX would really like to see the Big 12 get into the southeast with a Florida market in a power league.

ESPN is probably not in a favor of taking the two Florida schools because of the impacts to the SEC and ACC.

If WVU has truly came out against adding Cincinnati and BYU bringing baggage with Title IX concerns, the Big 12 maybe should just take the two Florida schools of UCF and South Florida and see what becomes of this move in a few years.

Maybe its time for the Big 12 to start building for the future with FOX and forget about ESPN. ESPN seems to react when you start to look at new options similar to how the Big Ten started to review NBC and other options when the second half of their contract was due this summer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 369, 370, 371, 372, 373