NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:50 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:17 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

the late night games in the western US has done well rating wise, so i think the BigXII/XIV should keep BYU in mind. I don't see the Pac12 taking BYU (already has Utah) or Colorado State (already has Colorado)
so if the Pac 12 expands, i may be Nevada/UNLV or UNM

I still am in favor of a Big XIV with BYU, UCF/USF, Tulane and Rice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:04 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Here's an idea: if BYU were to join the XII football-only, could the same be done with . . . UConn? It would be taking the two most geographically disadvantaged members out of the mix for other sports. The XII could mandate five games a year from each in basketball, which gives everyone one extra game each year in basketball. If the Big 12 goes to 14 it could require six games per year from each, and both teams would have a "Big 12 season" and "Big East/West Coast season" in basketball.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:59 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Huan wrote:
the late night games in the western US has done well rating wise, so i think the BigXII/XIV should keep BYU in mind. I don't see the Pac12 taking BYU (already has Utah) or Colorado State (already has Colorado)
so if the Pac 12 expands, i may be Nevada/UNLV or UNM

I still am in favor of a Big XIV with BYU, UCF/USF, Tulane and Rice

Colorado State failed to raise even 50% of the $110m they wanted in fundraising for that OCS. $50m might be respectable, but it's not major conference level. And CSU needs a new stadium. There's a chance CSU gets the money some other way, but what they just demonstrated there is what will likely keep them as a mid-major for some time: where's their donor base? I think Colorado State is more of a PAC school than a Big XII school, but they won't be either without anything less than a new OCS. This, at least, is some good news.

Of course, maybe what was needed up there was someone telling donors, alumni, and other interested parties that there was a major conference interested in the school, but needed the sort of facilities commitment to support major conference football. It sounds like CSU's pitch line was something a bit more aimless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:02 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

i don't think any programs in the mountain time zone as P5 materials other than BYU
but if the pac12 expands, other than going to central timezone their options are rather limited

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:56 am 
Freshman
Freshman

CSU is working hard off and on the field to become relevant again. It does appear promising that CSU will earn the new OCS stadium. The college has an enrollment of 31K plus and a large fan base in the Denver - Ft Collins area which is a decent size media market to have in the Big 12 again.

CSU had 10 straight winning seasons from 1994-2003 and were ranked as high as 14th on a few occasions during that period. Coach Jim McElwain has been moving the team in the right direction with some good OOC wins. They will need to earn a top 25 rankings more consistently going forward to be considered IMO.

Although the Big 12 appears to be moving east in their expansion interests I wouldn't overlook CSU as a candidate if expansion moves to be on the front burner again. After adding another school in the Midwest to pair with West Virginia such as Cincinnati, personally I'd like to see CSU added.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

CSU would be a good choice, particularly if there's interest in BYU.

Cincy got tired of losing their good fb coaches and turned to Turbeville. Certainly a different path so far with that move. This isn't exactly a large bang on the B12's door to let them in. But what the heck, Louisville could be in the process of making a partial U-turn themselves. Hope not, reaching backwards have risks.

There's no good fix for WVU as an outlier. Geographically, adding Cincy would help and does offer more eastern exposure.

If the B12 ever expands, maybe going beyond 12 to find an improved symmetry is needed.

Bret Musberger opined today that the playoffs will soon go to 8 teams, with a representative from each of the 5 major conferences and 3 at-large. When that's the case, conference quantity will become an issue as well as the CCG factor. The B12, sitting at 10, may get pressure on that front. On the other hand, the total group of P5 don't seem to want to add to the 65.

Something will happen. Exactly what is unclear. They may have to add a few to squelch some complaints. The B12 would be the most obvious to absorb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

CSU Rams fan wrote:
CSU is working hard off and on the field to become relevant again. It does appear promising that CSU will earn the new OCS stadium. The college has an enrollment of 31K plus and a large fan base in the Denver - Ft Collins area which is a decent size media market to have in the Big 12 again.

CSU had 10 straight winning seasons from 1994-2003 and were ranked as high as 14th on a few occasions during that period. Coach Jim McElwain has been moving the team in the right direction with some good OOC wins. They will need to earn a top 25 rankings more consistently going forward to be considered IMO.

Although the Big 12 appears to be moving east in their expansion interests I wouldn't overlook CSU as a candidate if expansion moves to be on the front burner again. After adding another school in the Midwest to pair with West Virginia such as Cincinnati, personally I'd like to see CSU added.

Thank you for this, and welcome!

I know CSU makes the cut for a major institutionally. I think winning marquee football games, be it in the non-conference or getting it done in major bowls is one part of it, but the funding and sustainability of athletics at the major level probably taps it in for them.

Venue renovations are usually a tip-off for either a move in the works or at least a conversation. I have no doubt CSU is probably having those conversations, as they should. I don't know how the majors would feel about the reno's being done with the majority (or some significant percentage) coming from the state, though. The alumni and other stakeholders are supposed to be putting this stuff up to a significant extent. It demonstrates sustainability.

I think CSU is the kind of school conferences want, especially the Big XII, but can't justify based on size/popularity and viability. There's a bunch of schools like this: Rice, Tulane, New Mexico, and I'd toss in Wyoming, too. They just don't look like they'll consistently contribute to the conference's bottom line.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:19 am 
Senior
Senior

When I hear someone in the media talk about how the CFP will expand I roll my eyes. I'll believe it when I see it. There are some things to remember when talking about CFP expanding. First this is the first year and we are already talking about it expanding! Why? As of right now no conference has been left out! Second is that it will take all 10 FBS leagues agreeing to expand the CFP. Why because all 10 signed on to the deal. Any changes would have to have all signing parties agree. So what would be the benefit for the Go5 to expand the playoffs unless they were offered a guaranteed spot in the CFP like they are in the new year's bowl game. P5 conference (I don't think) will agree to that (why would they want to give up a spot to a Go5 school?) So in order to expand the CFP field a agreeable stipulation would have to take place. I don't see that happening. So the CFP (in my opinion) will remain at 4 for the 12 year CFP deal. Then Expand when new CFP deal comes around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hibbett2222 wrote:
When I hear someone in the media talk about how the CFP will expand I roll my eyes. I'll believe it when I see it. There are some things to remember when talking about CFP expanding. First this is the first year and we are already talking about it expanding! Why? As of right now no conference has been left out! Second is that it will take all 10 FBS leagues agreeing to expand the CFP. Why because all 10 signed on to the deal. Any changes would have to have all signing parties agree. So what would be the benefit for the Go5 to expand the playoffs unless they were offered a guaranteed spot in the CFP like they are in the new year's bowl game. P5 conference (I don't think) will agree to that (why would they want to give up a spot to a Go5 school?) So in order to expand the CFP field a agreeable stipulation would have to take place. I don't see that happening. So the CFP (in my opinion) will remain at 4 for the 12 year CFP deal. Then Expand when new CFP deal comes around.

Yeah, you have to look at who's demanding the change.

There was no reason the BCS needed to be extended back when, and ESPN hoodwinked the nation by leading this charge for a playoff, only to be at the negotiation table with the BCS finalizing an extension. And that happened because...the schools didn't want a playoff.

The major schools don't want a playoff, or, rather, the Big Ten and PAC want the +1 model and they want the Rose Bowl to remain relevant. Because those guys have too much say, what they want, they will get in some way. As they have it now. The eight-team model would have to essentially take AQs, which would completely sink the Rose Bowl...the Big Ten and PAC won't abandon that ship.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:46 am 
Senior
Senior

I agree with your statement. I don't see any situation where the P5 give up their AQ's to the big name bowls. Yes the bowls would still be in use and would rotate like they are now, but it would not be a guarantee what conference would play in them like it is know. Because if you did, then would have the ACC playing a at-large every year in the first round since there is no AQ spot in the Orange bowl for their opponent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:08 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't see CSU n the big XII until they are perceived as better than Colorado
Big xii won't take an ego hit like that
IMO UNM would go big xii before CSU, maybe even USU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Huan wrote:

CSU might be getting closer to that school in Boulder where it concerns football. It's taking way too long steering that ship right.

But I don't doubt CSU is motivated to move because of those around them, even in the MWC. New Mexico should already be in the Big XII, were it not for Texas politics. After "the snub," they didn't feverishly spend or commit to football infrastructure to ensure such a mistake wouldn't happen to them again. CSU, I think, has moved ahead of them. Or, they are at the same level. It wasn't like that in the formative B12 years.

If I was CSU, I would be afraid of USU. It's a growing school, and the fans are nuts and loyal. That's the kind of base so many schools would kill to have. And USU isn't some commuter school or teaching college. The stiffs over in the schools in major conferences will run with the USU's more than they will Memphis', ECU's, and BSU's. The ceiling is higher for them (and CSU) than it is some of these others.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:47 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Huan wrote:

CSU might be getting closer to that school in Boulder where it concerns football. It's taking way too long steering that ship right.

But I don't doubt CSU is motivated to move because of those around them, even in the MWC. New Mexico should already be in the Big XII, were it not for Texas politics. After "the snub," they didn't feverishly spend or commit to football infrastructure to ensure such a mistake wouldn't happen to them again. CSU, I think, has moved ahead of them. Or, they are at the same level. It wasn't like that in the formative B12 years.

If I was CSU, I would be afraid of USU. It's a growing school, and the fans are nuts and loyal. That's the kind of base so many schools would kill to have. And USU isn't some commuter school or teaching college. The stiffs over in the schools in major conferences will run with the USU's more than they will Memphis', ECU's, and BSU's. The ceiling is higher for them (and CSU) than it is some of these others.

The B12 is not so much different from other P5 conferences in terms of what makes preferred expansion candidates. Old establishment schools are still the favored. The problem is that there are very few remaining outside the P5. And of those remaining, most of them are below par in sustained performance, inclusive of some private schools with unimpressive fan bases.

Agree with points said above about the playoffs. It is still going to be pushed. Not only are there concerns about AQ matters and big-bowl traditions, there will be new complaints about trying to extend the season.

AQ qualifying by conference champions representing all major conferences will be controversial. So much for the idea of having the eight best...one or two will slip in there each year that may not clearly belong, and somebody real good won't get included. Not sure the now 4-best design shall work cleanly either.

I expect this selection committee will try to be forthright. However, the committee is also composed of some current ADs', a former commissioner, former coaches, etc. It can't be void of biases, even if the objective is to have knowledgeable, experienced, and big-name individuals across a system spectrum to decide.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 209, 210, 211, 212, 213