NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:07 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Not that there is really any substantive news on the B12 expansion front, below is a recent piece from SBNation (Jason Kirk, 03/23/2015):

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... than-uconn

Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati or UCF are advocated as the 'market' candidates.

Just below the brief segment, click between the two red stars where it states *BYU The Top Target*: How the Playoff Changed Everything. Speaking of BYU, SEC member Mizzou has scheduled BYU for fb games in 2015 and 2020.

Any expansion talk arising again, and the energetic Bowlsby shall have to come forth with another "perfect ten" statement.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:58 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

sec03 wrote:
Not that there is really any substantive news on the B12 expansion front, below is a recent piece from SBNation (Jason Kirk, 03/23/2015):

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... than-uconn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati or UCF are advocated as the 'market' candidates.

Just below the brief segment, click between the two red stars where it states *BYU The Top Target*: How the Playoff Changed Everything. Speaking of BYU, SEC member Mizzou has scheduled BYU for fb games in 2015 and 2020.

Any expansion talk arising again, and the energetic Bowlsby shall have to come forth with another "perfect ten" statement.

I'd like to put forth McDonald's Hamburger University as a candidate:

Pro's---
Chicago Television Market
Large Fan/Alumni Base
Corporate Sponsorship Dollars
Creates Geographic Bridge to WVU
Institution Provides College Athletes with very practical skill set for life after football

Con's:
Meal Plan leads to rampant obesity among student athletes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:15 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The conference circled its wagons culturally and isolated itself to the core heartland states and one angry Appalachian school with a good athletic department. I don't know who fits with that. There isn't a comprehensive program that checks off all the boxes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:32 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I do think there is a possibility of a split along academic lines. I don't think the list in the article is anywhere near accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:09 am 
Senior
Senior

Wolfman wrote:
I don't think the list in the article is anywhere near accurate.

Agree on that point. The B12 said they would look east IF they ever expanded. In part, that's about giving some geographic comfort to WVU. It's late and missed opportunities to do that with any substance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:13 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

I don't see the B12 surviving unless they have some extremely well thought out expansion.

When Baylor and TCU are the best teams in the league, it shows how Texas and OU have started losing recruits and aren't as dominant on a national scale as they were. The problem is that the conference isn't really a true power conference. It is a glorified regional conference, not all that different from the SWC. I'm convinced it's on the EXACT same track the SWC was on. Few people outside the footprint could tell you where any of the teams outside of OU and Texas are located. (Waco?? Ames?? Lubbock?? not exactly well known nationally.)

The lack of a TV network is killer. The B1G teams already earn more than the B12 teams and the B12 is locked in a contract through 2025 if I recall. When the B1G contract is renegotiated, they will probably double what the B12 teams get from TV. At that point it's over. The long competitive slide will continue just as we're seeing now. The reality is, there are four true power conferences, and the Big twelve isn't one of them, they just don't know it yet. Few people know that the B1G only owns 51% of the Big Ten Network. They have the option to buy the rest if they so desire. Wow, think of that, what would that do to revenues?

The future of the B12 could change if they add at least two teams, get a real TV network and bring in a significant market outside of Texas, and for crying out loud, have a CCG. I don't see that happening. What is much more likely is that someone bolts, Texas & OU, or maybe KU leaves for the B1G. I don't think there are any really big markets they can pick up easily. The Rutgers/Maryland move was a killer for TV markets and value for the B1G and the California/Oregon/Washington market is huge for the Pac 12. Where does the B12 go for that kind of clout? They league is already seen nationally as a Texas league.

There just isn't the TV money there for the long haul. They were critically wounded by the SEC stealing A&M, a fantastic move for the long term for the SEC. The SEC got Texas TV markets and recruiting in one fell swoop. The value that walked out the door when Missouri, A&M, Colorado and Nebraska left is incredible and simply can't be replaced. Nebraska wasn't a big TV deal, but it's a great national brand. Colorado is a reasonable TV market, gone. Missouri wasn't huge, but it was the biggest TV of the northern teams in the B12 with both KC and St. Louis. Basically, what's left is a much to regional conference with a weird addition in WVU. Very odd choice I think.

The other conferences seem capable of thinking out 50 years. The B1G 12 can't seem to think ahead 5 years. So, my prediction, B12 substantially gone by 2021.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:50 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Big 12 has added the entire Western Wrestling Conference. The Big 12's lineup for wrestling:

West Virginia
Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Northern Colorado
Air Force
Utah Valley
Wyoming

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

DMN blog article with update on Big 12 attempt to deregulate FB conference Champ games at http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... games.html

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
DMN blog article with update on Big 12 attempt to deregulate FB conference Champ games at http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... games.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is an absolute no brainer on the issue of why the Big 12 would not adopt a championship game taking the top two teams, its called money! Tough conference round robin schedule be dammed, the Big 12 can make a lot of extra money and better the conference chances of making one of the four playoff spots. Maybe a rematch this year of Baylor and TCU would not have been enough to overtake the TV drawl of blue blood Ohio State, the extra championship game would have made a financial bonanza in Jerry's world in Dallas.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:17 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of San Antonio discussing Bob Bowlsby tenure as Big 12 Commish at http://www.expressnews.com/sports/colum ... 191943.php

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:45 am 
Senior
Senior

ttraider wrote:
I don't see the B12 surviving unless they have some extremely well thought out expansion.

When Baylor and TCU are the best teams in the league, it shows how Texas and OU have started losing recruits and aren't as dominant on a national scale as they were. The problem is that the conference isn't really a true power conference. It is a glorified regional conference, not all that different from the SWC. I'm convinced it's on the EXACT same track the SWC was on. Few people outside the footprint could tell you where any of the teams outside of OU and Texas are located. (Waco?? Ames?? Lubbock?? not exactly well known nationally.)

The lack of a TV network is killer. The B1G teams already earn more than the B12 teams and the B12 is locked in a contract through 2025 if I recall. When the B1G contract is renegotiated, they will probably double what the B12 teams get from TV. At that point it's over. The long competitive slide will continue just as we're seeing now. The reality is, there are four true power conferences, and the Big twelve isn't one of them, they just don't know it yet. Few people know that the B1G only owns 51% of the Big Ten Network. They have the option to buy the rest if they so desire. Wow, think of that, what would that do to revenues?

The future of the B12 could change if they add at least two teams, get a real TV network and bring in a significant market outside of Texas, and for crying out loud, have a CCG. I don't see that happening. What is much more likely is that someone bolts, Texas & OU, or maybe KU leaves for the B1G. I don't think there are any really big markets they can pick up easily. The Rutgers/Maryland move was a killer for TV markets and value for the B1G and the California/Oregon/Washington market is huge for the Pac 12. Where does the B12 go for that kind of clout? They league is already seen nationally as a Texas league.

There just isn't the TV money there for the long haul. They were critically wounded by the SEC stealing A&M, a fantastic move for the long term for the SEC. The SEC got Texas TV markets and recruiting in one fell swoop. The value that walked out the door when Missouri, A&M, Colorado and Nebraska left is incredible and simply can't be replaced. Nebraska wasn't a big TV deal, but it's a great national brand. Colorado is a reasonable TV market, gone. Missouri wasn't huge, but it was the biggest TV of the northern teams in the B12 with both KC and St. Louis. Basically, what's left is a much to regional conference with a weird addition in WVU. Very odd choice I think.

The other conferences seem capable of thinking out 50 years. The B1G 12 can't seem to think ahead 5 years. So, my prediction, B12 substantially gone by 2021.

The problem /Achilles Heel with the old SWC and the B-12 is Texas. They want everything their way and get it. They couldn't have everything their way with the PAC 12 and won't have it their way in the future either in the PAC 12, SEC, B-10, or the ACC. They also don't have the power to pull other P5 schools into the B-12 because of their bullying attitude. Take note 3 old B-8 schools left and one Texas school left the B-12 to get away from Texas that had the markets and national brands to do so. The B-12 will remain intact with Texas, Oklahoma, and the dwarfs. It is the only place Texas and Oklahoma can remain on top as the major players and where Oklahoma can balance the power of Texas and the block of Texas dwarfs voting for their agendas against Oklahoma and the rest of the dwarfs outside of Texas. If deregulation does not happen the B-12 grabs BYU and most likely Cinn or even UConn for 12 teams and a Championship Game. If they are serious bout Eastern TV markets and pass on BYU's premadonna ways, they could Triangulate WV with Cinn and UConn for NE TV's and great BB in its Northern Division with the national branding of Kansas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239