NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri May 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Are you listening Gregory Fenves, Michael K. Young, Steve Patterson, and Eric Hyman?

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com ... ball.html/

http://www.foxsports.com/southwest/stor ... -up-051915

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Reading an article regarding conference revenues. Each conference attributed a rise in revenues to expansion. Time for Big 12 to get a clue? Oh I forgot, there is not a school out there worthy to join such an elite group.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:26 pm 
Senior
Senior

Roscoe1206 wrote:
Reading an article regarding conference revenues. Each conference attributed a rise in revenues to expansion. Time for Big 12 to get a clue? Oh I forgot, there is not a school out there worthy to join such an elite group.

Feel free to enlighten us in regards to your top five prospects to add to the Big 12.

I wonder if your top five would look anything like the Big 12's top five list?

My top five, if you were wondering(heavily leaning towards fit rather than pure $$):
1. Cincy
2. Tulane(AAU)
3. Rice(AAU)
4. Memphis
5. Colorado St

I have to admit that none of these schools are real powerhouses....but, I think Cincy and Tulane would made good fits.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:35 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The Big 12 dropped the ball. They should have taken Louisville and Cincinnati in addition to TCU and WVU. The result would have been nice, geographically even divisions and all 4 of the newcomers would have been schools who participated in multiple BCS bowls. With Louisville safely in the Big 12 the ACC would have likely added UConn to replace Maryland and everyone but USF would have landed in a power 5 Conference. C-USA could have remained in its 2005-2012 alignment plus the addition of USF and one lucky Sunbelt school (or LA Tech/UTSA) and all would have been peaceful. The Sunbelt would have been mostly unchanged and all of the new programs that have moved up (Georgia St, Georgia Southern, Appalachian St, Charlotte, and ODU) could have been football only members and make up an eastern division on the WAC.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:55 pm 
Senior
Senior

There is no doubt that Louisville was an excellent candidate.
I don't remember the exact timing...but, wasn't Notre Dame being courted around the same time? Maybe they were trying to get ND first...and follow up with whomever made ND happier??

I have really enjoyed having West Virginia in the conference....as well as TCU (again). I feel they are both excellent competitors and worthy choices.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:25 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Various opinions, most are biased, Cincy and USF. If 14 is the number Memphis and E. Carolina.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:23 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Laying in wooden recliners on Playa del Carmen beach sipping Coronas, Dan Beebe and DeLoss Dodds speaking in a conference call to Fox Sports executives and Big 12 Presidents, utter the simple phrase:

"Do you miss us now?"

Maybe the old guys were better. At least they knew how to decide something, even times when it was bad, and render a plausible explanation.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:39 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Louisville made too much of a mess pegging themselves as an eastern school with southeastern recruitment needs. That, when paired with that drop-off in football for a bit (with WVU and Cincy bringing it instead), I doubt Jurich had a shot spare a few ADs. And, I see the Big XII on tv so much more now in the Philly area...did a school bordering PA do that?

Cincy and USF are safe bets. Two schools who sat at the AQ table at one time. That combo would nuke the AAC deal, though, iirc.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 am 
Senior
Senior

The Bishin Cutter wrote:
Louisville made too much of a mess pegging themselves as an eastern school with southeastern recruitment needs. That, when paired with that drop-off in football for a bit (with WVU and Cincy bringing it instead), I doubt Jurich had a shot spare a few ADs. And, I see the Big XII on tv so much more now in the Philly area...did a school bordering PA do that?

Cincy and USF are safe bets. Two schools who sat at the AQ table at one time. That combo would nuke the AAC deal, though, iirc.

You are referencing the Steve Kragthorpe period, apparently. You think Tommy Tuberville is going to lead Cincinnati into the Big 12? Good luck on that one with stints at multiple places; but surely Cincinnati is his last downward landing spot.
Oliver Luck at WVU played it well. Louisville did have some AD support, including that of OU. Mitch McConnell getting publicly involved clouded the effort, because the Big 12 had essentially given the green light to WVU, perhaps some days/weeks beforehand. Had it been pursued or announced months earlier that Maryland was heading to the B1G, landing spots effecting WVU and Louisville could look different. Louisville getting pegged as an eastern school had much to do with being a member of the old Big East. And being in northern Kentucky, they are going to recruit southward. They've had a good string of Florida recruits over a period of time. I don't believe Louisville made a mess of it at all; to the contrary, their profile, achievements, politicking, and geography landed them in the ACC. Where could they have done better, given all the realistic options?

The Big 12 had no intention of exceeding ten. Was having a bridge to WVU on their minds when TCU and WVU were brought aboard? They reportedly talked about it and decided it was not essential. I expect they thought they could add later on if need be.

The Big 12 certainly has the right to choose to stay at ten. The rules say a minimum of seven. The conference wants deregulation of CCG rules. If the NCAA body approves it, then their request is granted. Within the parameters, the Big 12 controls what they choose to do. Where the conflict happens, is that the Big 12 cannot control what some other conferences value and pursue, and how external deciders view it. That 13th big game that the BIG, SEC, PAC12, and the ACC have at the end of the regular season does matter. If the favorite or the team with the better record loses, that's also high stakes with much on the line. If Big 12 interests want to diminish the importance of this, then should they be disturbed if a team from another conference loses such a game, and still gets placed in the playoffs? It can't be had both ways.

Personally, I'd like to see the Big 12 take that argument off the table. They have a core of quality schools that generally match-up well in the broad scheme of the P5 and what they are trying to do. Adding a couple may be less about finding new cutthroat conference competitors; rather, changing the mechanics and methodology in crowning champions and scheduling, with elevated size that impacts marketing, influence, and image. This is a fine conference. But a few adjustments appear much warranted. Why would the Big 12 want to give certain advantages, deserved or questioned, to other P5 conferences when they have the power to change the dynamics?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3639 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 239, 240, 241, 242, 243