NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping
College T-shirts at Fanatics.com

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
Nice to see conversations on future Big 12 expansion. The following schools were not eliminate from last years discussion on expansion and most likely would be the top target of group of five schools if the conference decided to expand without power five options: Tulane, SMU, Houston, UConn, South Fla, UCF, Cincinnati, Air Force, Colorado State, BYU.

Awesome!!! I had not heard that. Cool that we made the top 10. Semi-finalist coming off an 0-12 season.

Wonder what the order looked like. Hard for me to believe SMU and Houston weren't at the top. Imagine Cincy was near the top as well, almost a lock, IMO. Was the no Sunday thing that big a deal against BYU?

I know Tulane has had some success in Baseball, but have they done much in any other sport?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

mozilla wrote:
hendu1976fl wrote:
mozilla wrote:
The tv model is ever changing these days. Unlike what it was 10 years ago...the internet will continue to reshape how people watch college sports. TV viewership and tv money could dry up or move a totally different direction. Why not concentrate on filling the stadium with fans? Fans that can actually travel en' mass by driving a short distance. If that were the case...schools wouldn't have to depend on some outside decision maker to tell them what to do and how to do it. Full stadiums equals direct money for each and every school in the conference.

BYU has the same location problem that the Florida schools have. Adding them would only put another outlier on the schedule. Not really the optimal situation. Navy would be a much better choice.

BYU is not AAU, though they have a well ranked school educationally.

And in my opinion....BYU isn't really as great as everyone likes to think. Their fan base and fan support is excellent I will admit. But, they really haven't proven to me that they are the world beaters that BYU fans like to think they are. BYU has a history of playing weak competition...essentially they have the same historic schedule as a Colorado St or New Mexico....and both those schools are much closer to the core of the conference.

The issues that came up last year....and BYU's reluctance to be a team player in any conference they have been in...worries me a bit. The last thing the Big12 needs is another school that makes problems for the whole conference. The other schools that were easily disgruntled are gone. No need to add another one to replace them. BYU should work towards getting into the PAC12...that is where they fit the best. If the PAC has no desire to add them for some reason....then that reason could easily be adopted by the Big12.

You mentioned the other Texas schools....those schools already recruit the state of Texas...so, they wouldn't hurt Big12 recruiting. All their rosters are already full of Texas kids.
I don't think any of the B12 schools have trouble recruiting....barring Kansas maybe.

Agreed on the TV issues. No idea where that is heading and what that will look like when its time to renegotiate.

My point about SMU, Houston and even Rice is that they are like UCF and USF. UCF/USF are not going to be able to land the majority of the kids recruited by FSU/UF/Miami. Because we are not in a P5 conference, it is tough to get those kids to seriously look at our school. Same thing goes for UH/SMU/Rice vs TCU/Baylor/TTU/UT. However, if SMU and Houston are in the Big 12, they will get some of the kids that would have gone to TCU/Baylor/TTU and certainly some of the out of state Big 12 schools.

I guess I see the recruiting just a bit differently.
Instead of UofH, SMU, and Rice stealing from TCU, Baylor, Texas and Tech.....I feel they would keep some of the kids from going to K St, KU, Iowa St and WVU. UO has as good a lock on Texas kids as anyone. OSU might lose a few kids to the new comers.

Recruiting just isn't that big a problem. There are plenty of quality players around the country. It's not like schools are hurting for bodies. I would put recruiting down on the list of needs for NCAA fb and the Big 12.
Even UofH got a 5 star recruit a year or two ago.
You also have to remember....that Texas has a whole second and third teir of fb schools that have quite a few good players....unlike many other states. Some of the recruits would come from UTSA, Texas St, UTEP, N. Texas; Sam Houston, SFA, Lamar, Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist, and others. If you pull the best 4 players off the second and third tier schools....that is plenty of recruits to spread around.

If Houston can get Ed Oliver, who would be a star on any team in the county, let alone the Big 12, wouldn't they be stealing 3 or 4 more starters from each of Texas, TCU, Baylor, TTU, as well as the rest of the conference. I'm not sure you want anybody at UTEP. Not really sure TX ST, UTSA and the others can make up the difference if you add Houston and SMU/Rice to the conference. Would Texas want to settle for some of the N Texas players? But again, I think we just have to agree to disagree. I can't argue about the talent in the state. I just think you would be spreading the talent out too thin; especially considering the rest of the conference lives off Texas recruiting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:58 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I find it hard to believe that if the Big 12 adds two schools to get back to 12....that both of those incoming schools will be from the state of Texas. Seems very doubtful and unrealistic even to a state of Texas homer like myself.

-I am also doubtful that SMU will be included. Two teams in the DFW area seems unneeded. Rice makes more sense with their AAU banner, Nationally ranked baseball and their location in Houston(a place where all state of Texas schools like to have games).
-Again, doubtful that BYU gets in. BYU would make two outliers.....and it is in the exact opposite direction of WVU which exacerbates the WVU on an island problem.
-UConn, too far away from the core schools.
-Air Force, has said publicly they don't want to be in a P5 conference. Has that changed?

I think the list of schools needs to be updated to a more realistic group.

Big XII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:53 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Isn't Big XII expansion DEAD ? Or am I missing something....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The discussion continues.....

Big XII

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:39 pm 
Senior
Senior

tute79 wrote:
Isn't Big XII expansion DEAD ? Or am I missing something....

Yes, for the next six years at least.
Bowlsby and Presidents made that
deal with the networks. No B12
network pursuit either, despite Boren's
earlier complaints.
Really, they appear happy as is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393