NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:27 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 333, 334, 335, 336, 337
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:42 am 
Senior
Senior

sec03 wrote:
Quinn wrote:
At this point, I'd love to see OU and OSU petition the SEC hard to join.

Quinn,

This thinking is growing per OU and oSu.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/ ... o_sho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote from Ron Higgins, nola.com:

"It's why Sankey needs to convince the presidents and chancellors of all the SEC members he needs to make strong recruiting pitches to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to become the league's 15th an 16th members."

i doubt SEC would want both OU & OSU
i think the SEC would rather take VT and NCSU if they could, but given the new GoR, unlikely
i suspect they might consider ECU before they consider OSU

Last edited by Huan on Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:46 am 
Senior
Senior

@Lash

i agree
if the network think there is money in the ACC network, they wouldn't delay it with a year for live streaming
they are trying to minimize their loss

if they think there is money in a big xii network, there would be one
there isn't one
look at the LHN; it is losing money even in Texas, where UT is strongest
i cannot see how any tv execs would think there is money in a big xii cable network

but they might be interested in just a live streaming channel
which make regional media market less significant and national appeal/brand awareness more so

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:54 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Huan wrote:
@Lash

i agree
if the network think there is money in the ACC network, they wouldn't delay it with a year for live streaming
they are trying to minimize their loss

if they think there is money in a big xii network, there would be one
there isn't one
look at the LHN; it is losing money even in Texas, where UT is strongest
i cannot see how any tv execs would think there is money in a big xii cable network

but they might be interested in just a live streaming channel
which make regional media market less significant and national appeal/brand awareness more so

Agreed on conference networks potential to make huge revenue. With ESPN sponsoring the SEC, we really do not know for sure how much the network would truly make if the SEC had taken the Pac 12 approach. I believe the Big 12 will defiantly create a network that is most likely going to be digital. There are benefits to having most of your tier 3 rights on the same network for unity of a league if nothing else and for marketing the league.

Expansion is going to be more about extending the GOR and the primary reason the Big 12 is expanding because the ACC network deal was more about GOR.

The only reason to extend GOR if the TV contact for tier 1 is changed and extended which most likely will be the case because FOX and ESPN value tier 1 type of inventory.

The best choice would be for 12 schools, however, it may take four schools to get the desired balance.

If you take UConn and BYU for 12 and extend the GOR until 2030 when the LHN deal is completed, you get a national type of appeal.

The only issue with 12 is getting the right mix of schools. It may take 14 schools to get your desired mix of schools to make that national appeal.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:25 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Huan wrote:
sec03 wrote:
Quinn wrote:
At this point, I'd love to see OU and OSU petition the SEC hard to join.

Quinn,

This thinking is growing per OU and oSu.

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2016/ ... o_sho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Quote from Ron Higgins, nola.com:

"It's why Sankey needs to convince the presidents and chancellors of all the SEC members he needs to make strong recruiting pitches to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to become the league's 15th an 16th members."

i doubt SEC would want both OU & OSU
i think the SEC would rather take VT and NCSU if they could, but given the new GoR, unlikely
i suspect they might consider ECU before they consider OSU

I agree in regards to not taking both Oklahoma schools. OU is like Nebraska - even though it's not in a populous state, its football program is a national brand. Most of those NCAA titles by OSU (and kudos to them for winning them!) are for wrestling and that's not even an SEC sport. The Cowboys would have to follow Missouri and affiliate their wresting with the MAC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5044 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 333, 334, 335, 336, 337