NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:32 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 5:57 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Last night on the radio program "Southern Sports Tonight", there was a conversation that the SEC is considering expandng to sixteen teams. Supposedly the sources are credible.

Teams under consideration:
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Southern Miss
Memphis
Marshall
UCF
Texas Christian

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Post subject: SEC Expansion
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:07 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Other than UF or LSU, the majority of the SEC has always wanted FSU in the conference. However, the 200 lb gorillas that are UF & LSU blocked the move.
As for GT, as a UGa Dawg, I wouldn't mind seeing them return. But I have some serious concerns about the standard of their academics relative to the SEC. GT is probably better off in the ACC as long they are pushing academics. (SAT scores requirements were increased not long ago at GT.) If GT gets off the academic kick, and relaxes its restrictions some, GT might do well in the SEC again. Clemson has been the perfect fit for the SEC for a long time, but there has been no interested in bringing Clemson in yet. Memphis is a laugher. The SEC has that one covered and Memphis has bad fan support. I wouldn't mind having Southern Miss, but they would always be on the outside looking in, much like South Carolina, believe it or not, even if they were in the conference. :-[ However, I do think Southern Miss is a good fit in the southern portion of the Big 12, and I'd rather have Southern Miss in the Big 12 than another private school like SMU or TCU.
Which brings me to TCU. Not too sure how TCU would fare in the SEC, but they wouldn't have much power like they do in CUSA now. As much as I like Marshall, I just don't think they're SEC caliber. UCF is interesting though. Replace Marshall w/ Virginia Tech and move the Hokies to #2 on the list, and I think we've got a winner. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:05 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Great idea to improve round robin basketball. Possible divisional line up:

SEC East: Florida, FSU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn

SEC West: Kentucky, TCU, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi, Miss State, LSU, Arkansas

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:21 pm 

Quote:
Last night on the radio program "Southern Sports Tonight", there was a conversation that the SEC is considering expandng to sixteen teams. Supposedly the sources are credible.

Teams under consideration:
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Southern Miss
Memphis
Marshall
UCF
Texas Christian

Forget the SEC, throw in Va Tech, West Va,. Louisville, and East Carolina (or SMU, Rice, Tulane, La Tech, or Houston); and one has a new 12 team conference. ;D

Statements by the ADs for the SEC retreat render no advocacy for expansion.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:33 pm 

Quote:
Other than UF or LSU, the majority of the SEC has always wanted FSU in the conference. However, the 200 lb gorillas that are UF & LSU blocked the move.
As for GT, as a UGa Dawg, I wouldn't mind seeing them return. But I have some serious concerns about the standard of their academics relative to the SEC. GT is probably better off in the ACC as long they are pushing academics. (SAT scores requirements were increased not long ago at GT.) If GT gets off the academic kick, and relaxes its restrictions some, GT might do well in the SEC again. Clemson has been the perfect fit for the SEC for a long time, but there has been no interested in bringing Clemson in yet. Memphis is a laugher. The SEC has that one covered and Memphis has bad fan support. I wouldn't mind having Southern Miss, but they would always be on the outside looking in, much like South Carolina, believe it or not, even if they were in the conference. :-[ However, I do think Southern Miss is a good fit in the southern portion of the Big 12, and I'd rather have Southern Miss in the Big 12 than another private school like SMU or TCU.
Which brings me to TCU. Not too sure how TCU would fare in the SEC, but they wouldn't have much power like they do in CUSA now. As much as I like Marshall, I just don't think they're SEC caliber. UCF is interesting though. Replace Marshall w/ Virginia Tech and move the Hokies to #2 on the list, and I think we've got a winner. ;)
Ga Tech does have comparatively higher, admissions standards compared to general state supported institutions. They also have degree programs, exclusive of engineering and business, that are not as competitive and selective as some may think. Regardless, their standards in recruiting football and basketball players are not that lofty. This is common with the exception of the IVY League and some others, mostly not on 1-A level.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:43 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:

Forget the SEC, throw in Va Tech, West Va,. Louisville, and East Carolina (or SMU, Rice, Tulane, La Tech, or Houston); and one has a new 12 team conference. ;D

Statements by the ADs for the SEC retreat render no advocacy for expansion.

DogsNthingys, you're wrong on that one!!! Auburn's David Housel was quoted as saying that he thinks it's time to expand to 14 teams or decrease to 10. Something is definitely up.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:45 am 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
Ga Tech does have comparatively higher, admissions standards compared to general state supported institutions. They also have degree programs, exclusive of engineering and business, that are not as competitive and selective as some may think. Regardless, their standards in recruiting football and basketball players are not that lofty. This is common with the exception of the IVY League and some others, mostly not on 1-A level.

As I recall, the graduation rate during the O'Leary era was about 18% for football players. Not all that lofty.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:07 pm 
Senior
Senior

I don't see a need for SEC expansion, but I wouldn't be against it.

Florida State
Georgia Tech
Clemson
Southern Miss
Memphis
Marshall
UCF
Texas Christian

I think the Big East is about to be absolutely destroyed in lieu of a mighty ACC, which means FSU, Clemson, & GT have little reason to want to join the SEC. Southern Miss and Memphis in the SEC would make it even harder for Ole Miss and MSU to recruit, so I don't think they'll ever be invited (small fan bases too).

UCF--The SEC needs to grab them while nobody wants them, because that program is going to explode one day. There are almost 20-million people in FL and only five 1A schools (LA, at 4 million, has the same amount).

Schools that MIGHT be added that would do the SEC some good:
WVU
Marshall
VT
UCF
Houston
TCU
SMU (being in the SEC would bring prestige back to the program, plus the Dallas market would be HUGE)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:08 am 
Junior
Junior

The best fit by far for the Southeastern Conference, if expansion were to come, is Virginia Tech.

Tech is a Land Grant institution, just as nine of the current SEC members. This means similar academic missions and like agendas.

Tech is also of similar size in terms student body.

Virginia Tech has very good academic standards and an excellent reputation. That never hurts.

The University, located in Blacksburg, is geographically close to other SEC schools, notably Tennessee, Kentucky, and South Carolina.

In the context of the ACC expansion, the addition of Virginia Tech would be beneficial to the conference in many ways.

1) As far as markets, Tech is very strong with many alumni throughout Virginia, especially in the large Eastern markets (DC, Hampton Roads, and Richmond). Virginia Tech in the SEC keeps the ACC from completely dominating this region from a market standpoint.

2) In terms of recruiting, Tech would not hamper current SEC members in the Deep South (Florida does not count, everybody recruits there). On the contrary, Tech would continue to recruit Virginia and the Mid-Atlantic. Again, a strong Virginia Tech keeps the regional ACC teams from dominating, in essence taking Tech's recruits.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:24 am 
Junior
Junior

Overall, expansion to 14 is not a bad idea. The feeling that I get with all of the expansion, at least among fans, is that we get closer to a play-off. If that is the case, then the emphasis is placed on in-conference performance.

The SEC with fourteen, add Virginia Tech and West Virginia and move Vanderbilt to the West, could play nine league games, leaving two out-of-conference games (three in a 12 game season). That really should be plenty.

Play the six division mates, yearly. Have one consistent cross division game, i.e. Tennessee vs Alabama. Play two additional cross division games. These would rotate in pairs, home-and-away. It would take six years to play everybody home-and-away (under the current system it takes eight).

I just really want to see VIRGINIA TECH is the SEC!

GO HOKIES!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I would vote for West Virginia and VA tech I think these teams would be an asset to the SEC.I'd heard the same rumor on Southern Sports Tonight that if this ACC Expansion goes through. The SEC will call an emergency meeting to invite VA tech and West Virginia only.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:10 pm 

Quote:

DogsNthingys, you're wrong on that one!!! Auburn's David Housel was quoted as saying that he thinks it's time to expand to 14 teams or decrease to 10. Something is definitely up.
Nope! The State Newspaper (Columbia, SC) and the Atlanta Journal, in interviews indicated little discussion on it formally, and the coaches and AD's interviewed were very reserved on the issue and stood with the status quo in sentiment. What is a concern, is that of the 12 SEC institutions, all but Florida and Vanderbilt are under (or recently have been) under scrutiny for alleged NCAA rules infractions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:53 pm 
Senior
Senior

FIND A GLITCH IN THIS ONE, PLEASE--because I'm convinced so far that I'm not an idiot.

What about East Carolina? Along with them, the only schools the SEC needs to be looking at are

Central Florida
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Marshall
Houston
TCU

Virginia Tech is a must (if they're a package deal w/West Virginia, take it). Central Florida comes next because they've got a hot, close future. Then comes East Carolina to fill in a geographical gap (and to pick up 6 million TV viewers). Then comes a TX school (Houston, TCU are the only ones that could make an impact). Then there's West Virginia and Marshall--pick 'em.

The most popular for the SEC should be Central Florida, Virginia Tech, East Carolina, &Houston. And here's how the SEC would possibly be divided:

Four divisions:

W1: Arkansas, Houston, LSU, MSU
W2: Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Vanderbilt
E1: Central FloridaFlorida, Georgia, South Carolina
E2: East Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia Tech

Each team has three divisional games and three constant non-divisional rivalries, along with two rotating games each year. Div champs are seeded 1-4, 1 & 2 getting home semifinal games, with the SECCG played at a neutral site.

The last time the SEC expanded, revenue skyrocketed. This would do the same, no doubt.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:48 am 
All-Star
All-Star

14 will be as far the SEC will go.16 is too many and 10 is nowadays too less.West Virginia and VA Tech. will be the teams unless the possibly the Big 10 invites West Virginia. Which nowadays anything is possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:47 am 
Junior
Junior

Virginia Tech is not under any scrutiny from the NCAA. Coach Beamer runs a clean program. That would be a benefit in these uncertain times regarding the NCAA and the SEC.

As far as 12, 14, or 16, any number is possible. The important thing is how it is managed. Twelve years ago nobody thought much about a league championship game. Look at what a boom that has been.

Footballgod has a point regarding a league semifinal of four teams leading to a league championship game; I am sure some people think it is crazy, but it would be a money-maker.

If expansion is to come, 14 first, then the possibility of 16 will be discussed. I do believe that an important point is the schools should have some commonalities. Small, private schools are not a good fit for the SEC. Just because a school is located in a big city means nothing regarding the media market. Flag-ship universities, often located in more rural settings, will carry the State.