NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1042 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:25 am 
All-Star
All-Star

You are the SEC commish...

Arkansas has left the SEC to join Big 12 or 14. Who would you invite to replace Arkansas as a current member.

Post subject: Your the SEC Commish?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 9:18 am 
Senior
Senior

Arkansas has left the SEC to join Big 12 or 14. Who would you invite to replace Arkansas as a current member.

Tulane and Georgia Tech for old time sake; but I'm a traditionist (not a great thing to be in today's age of college football)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:18 am 
Junior
Junior

UGA would not allow GT, USC would not allow Clemson. UK would not allow Louisville. Vandy and UT would not allow Memphis. VT and Miami are already gone. Tulane would not be a great fit. Perhaps TCU could sneak in?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:51 am 
Senior
Senior

UGA would not allow GT, USC would not allow Clemson. UK would not allow Louisville. Vandy and UT would not allow Memphis. VT and Miami are already gone. Tulane would not be a great fit. Perhaps TCU could sneak in?

You're probably right about what Georgia, S. Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee would do to keep those schools out of the conference, but what if Clemson, L'ville, and Memphis (all state schools, too) wanted to make a push for SEC membership: wouldn't you think the state legistlatures would put pressure on UGA, USC, and UK?

I know this is ancient (1950) history, but the Michigan legislature put a lot of pressure on U-M to allow MSU to join the Big Ten.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:21 pm 
Senior
Senior

First I think of the Southeastern states the SEC does not represent: AR, NC, TX, VA.

Arkansas has no big teams other than the recently departed Hawgs.

Texas has TCU, who'll have a better program than Arkansas soon.

North Carolina has ECU, and that's probably all that would seriously consider an SEC invitation.

Virginia has the Cavs and Hokies. Do you really want UVA, and would VT leave another conference?

...and the winner is...TCU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:38 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

I'd have to agree that TCU would probably make the most sense and win the most support here, especially if it was Arkansas that left. I'd like to think Memphis would recieve due consideration, as they fit the SEC mold and make perfect sense geographically. Plus, they could recapture some of the Arkansas market lost with the Hogs and field a competitive basketball program.

When all is said an done, though, cutting into the Texas market would be a coup for the conference, and Vanderbilt would favor another small/private school on board. Rice and/or Houston could also fit the Texas-market bill and would be closer geographically.

Last edited by gunnerfan on Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 3:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

Adding Houston or Rice would give the SEC an outlet to the TX markets, but unfortunately the SEC wouldn't be getting any semblance of a football program. UH averages less than 15K per game and Rice barely cracks 20K. TCU is the only non-BigXII school in TX that could possibly fit in the SEC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:33 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Quote:
First I think of the Southeastern states the SEC does not represent: AR, NC, TX, VA.

Arkansas has no big teams other than the recently departed Hawgs.

Texas has TCU, who'll have a better program than Arkansas soon.

North Carolina has ECU, and that's probably all that would seriously consider an SEC invitation.

Virginia has the Cavs and Hokies. Do you really want UVA, and would VT leave another conference?

...and the winner is...TCU

Where in the world do you get off with making a comment like that - that statement is just ludicrous - anyone can throw out statements of opinion, and you are entitled to it - where this notion comes from though is beyond reason - Arkansan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:20 pm 
Senior
Senior

Which statement are you talking about? I made like 4 of them, and they are all correct. It's all moot, though, because Arkansas isn't leaving the SEC, even for the Big XII. Again, I have to point out that it would be stupid to leave the richest conference for not the richest conference.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:45 am 
t.c.u in a heart best with the seventh biggest t,v, market come on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:34 am 
Senior
Senior

I gotta say, though, TCU doesn't control that market--UT & A&M do. Put TCU in a BCS conference, and maybe they get a bigger piece of the pie, but Dallas belongs to the Aggies and 'Horns.

Kinda like New Orleans--who really owns it--Tulane or LSU?

Philadelphia--Temple or Penn State?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:27 am 
Senior
Senior

I gotta say, though, TCU doesn't control that market--UT & A&M do. Put TCU in a BCS conference, and maybe they get a bigger piece of the pie, but Dallas belongs to the Aggies and 'Horns.

Kinda like New Orleans--who really owns it--Tulane or LSU?

Philadelphia--Temple or Penn State?

I agree with you about private schools like TCU and Tulane not able to control their own metro areas because of state schools like UT, A&M, and LSU.

That got me wondering. Elimating Notre Dame, which is a case on to itself (and isn't really that attached to Indiana), are there any private schools that stand on equal footing for interest in metro areas with the state schools? The only ones I can come up with that I'm fairly sure of are:

Stanford with Cal in the Bay Area
USC with UCLA in LA

Perhaps Miami in the Miami/So. Fla. market with UF and FSU (but not sure of that; I know Miami doesn't fill stadiums the way UF and FSU do).

Are there others?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:11 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
are there any private schools that stand on equal footing for interest in metro areas with the state schools? The only ones I can come up with that I'm fairly sure of are:

Stanford with Cal in the Bay Area
USC with UCLA in LA

Perhaps Miami in the Miami/So. Fla. market with UF and FSU (but not sure of that; I know Miami doesn't fill stadiums the way UF and FSU do).

Are there others?

How about BYU and Utah and BC and UMASS (not 1A football today)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:30 pm 
Senior
Senior

How about BYU and Utah and BC and UMASS (not 1A football today)?

Absolutely agree...and BYU does it the hard way being outside of Salt Lake City and Utah within it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1042 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next