NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:04 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1064 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Just pulling from off the top of my head here.

I think Texas isn't following A&M into the SEC. However, reading that Austin article from yesterday, I'm struck by the thought (if they weren't just making bold "after the fact" statements) that they may have tried to nudge Oklahoma into the Pac-## before moving themselves into the ACC.

Meanwhile, if I were the SEC...

...the adjacent state with the largest TV market that isn't Big 10 is, I think, North Carolina. To get to Virginia Tech, I don't think you can wedge UNC, you don't really want Duke or Wake, but can you get North Carolina State? I think they can make a football school out of the Wolfpack.

It's probably a wild dream, but it had to get off the top of my head. I don't like hats.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

pounder wrote:
Just pulling from off the top of my head here.

I think Texas isn't following A&M into the SEC. However, reading that Austin article from yesterday, I'm struck by the thought (if they weren't just making bold "after the fact" statements) that they may have tried to nudge Oklahoma into the Pac-## before moving themselves into the ACC.

Meanwhile, if I were the SEC...

...the adjacent state with the largest TV market that isn't Big 10 is, I think, North Carolina. To get to Virginia Tech, I don't think you can wedge UNC, you don't really want Duke or Wake, but can you get North Carolina State? I think they can make a football school out of the Wolfpack.

It's probably a wild dream, but it had to get off the top of my head. I don't like hats.

Good comments and perspective, Pounder.

I am not a fan of going to 16 by the major BCS conferences, but I expect they are headed that way within a few years. I do favor equivance in numbers by the biggies for all to be a bit more tidy and appear stable.

If the SEC does seek 16 (noting they have stated they intend to hold at 14), I believe it would depend on multiple factors: (a) the SEC would want to further modify their divisional structures and balance; (b) the modified B12 gets new cracks in their bond; (c) other BCS conferences such as the ACC and/or PAC12 decide to try for 16; (d) network/cable TV offer such a big incentive to expand, financially, it would be too immense to turn down; (e) an impressive school, such as Oklahoma, comes knocking hard without carrying added baggage.

NC State has been mentioned before as a potential SEC candidate for the future. It was my preference if the SEC had added an ACC school.
However, the ACC, on surface, appears very solid, and pro-active themselves per expansion. It is relatively unknown if NCSU has discontent or would seek to move. They are a charter ACC member and among a cluster of 4 NC ACC schools. Any incentive to leave, would appear it would relate to UNC/Duke dominance in bb/related media attention. What bucks it would take for NCSU to leave for the SEC would have to be incredibly high, along with other promises. As to VPI, I expect they would stay in the ACC even if 16-team expansion happens.

I tend to believe Oklahoma could be considered again if unrest in the B12 re-occurs. Of course, that would probably involve an OU-OSU combo which the SEC may not see as their top preference. Also, the PAC12 and Big1G could have expansion on the table at the same time. As far as Texas goes, it will be a very long time, if ever, they would seek to dance with the SEC. Further, I heard before the SEC was not interested in the Kansas schools. Available schools, such as Rutgers, are not good geographic fits for the SEC.

The B12, with adding TCU and WVU, has re-grouped and further expansion is expected. If they end up making new and strategic choices, the B12 could be here to stay and they beome more happy with each other. They retain some awesome schools as a foundation.
In reality, the great choices are not extensive unless new upheaval happens. But, we all expect that to happen later, if not sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:02 pm 
Senior
Senior

If true and the SEC wanted to go to 16, do you think they would have any volunteers?

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/whats ... a-year.php

Sorry DUKE, it's been great but I will quadruple the money I currently make in the ACC. Sincerely, UNC :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 pm 
Senior
Senior

seanbo wrote:
If true and the SEC wanted to go to 16, do you think they would have any volunteers?

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/whats ... a-year.php

Sorry DUKE, it's been great but I will quadruple the money I currently make in the ACC. Sincerely, UNC :mrgreen:

SEC to 16 and it's own final 4. What a lot of us have been predicting.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/secs- ... f-four.php

Eventually I predict (and this article hints at) is basically a 16 team playoff. There's signs of it starting right now with PLUS 1 and the elimination of AQ's.

16 team conferences having their own 4 team playoffs with a 4 team NCAA or BCS playoff (Plus 1).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:35 pm 
Senior
Senior

http://mrsec.com/2012/01/virginia-tech- ... l-battles/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:23 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The BE again had three schools leave (or leaving) recently. The Big12 has had four to leave in the last couple of years.
The process is not so much a conference such as the SEC saying, "we want you and you, so turn in your formal application now".

The BE and B12 have been conferences in internal conflict for multiple years. Even those staying have inquired about possibilities elsewhere.
Texas A&M to the SEC was in the works for a very long time. Disgruntled Mizzou was a very fine institution to accept to round out to 14.

Sure the SEC can expand their markets with prime institutions from bordering states. But where does it stop? Ohio State, Oklahoma, ND, and many other prominent schools border SEC states, but are not moving to the SEC or elsewhere.

For NCSU and/or VPI to come to the SEC; dissatisfaction with their current conference (ACC) would need to be evident. Plus, the SEC would need to be again open to further expansion, and garner internal approval to do so, which is certainly not a given. And, most of these conferences do not want to be seen "raiding" each other unless there is a clear window of opportunity to do so with less bitterness. Further, going to 16 first by the SEC may not be what the conference desires. A more likely scenario would be a re-newed B12 breakup happening sometime in the future; for instance if the PAC12 tried for 16. Then a play could be tried for some prominent school such as Oklahoma.

With TV tycoons injecting themselves in conference re-allignments/expansion with their bundled revenue, predicting stability will have challenges. But unless something very profond happens, VPI & NCSU stay put.

It's not as if the SEC must have a NC school. If it was, ECU is the eager and available one.....and completely unacceptable.

Post subject: thx for help
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:56 am 
Freshman
Freshman

dude you very help me :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Welcome Markizz

Read recently, that Texas A&M's permanent cross-division rival will be South Carolina. The So. Car. Pres. asked for a poll of So. Car. fans whether they prefer A&M or continue with Arkansas. A&M was the majority preference. Final SEC Pres. vote is soon. Arkansas & Mizzou will become permanent cross-division rivals. Believe these are the only changes per permanent, cross-division rivals in the SEC. Other cross-overs shall continue to be on rotation. Incidently, Texas A&M and So. Carolia had not met before in fb.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

Slive talks in general about SEC's future schedule and ongoing TV negotiations.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... -together/

One quote from article: "We feel adding Texas A&M and Missouri has strengthened us in lots of ways, but it certainly strengthened us in television."

If the Big 12 just got a deal paying them around 20 mill each school then I can't imagine what the SEC is about to get considering their TV ratings are almost twice the Big 12's (4.44 compared to 2.34) and that figure doesn't include the addition of Texas and Missouri. Cha-ching! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 11:25 am 
Senior
Senior

Do you think the move to the SEC has helped Texas A&M recruiting.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... o-transfer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:00 pm 
Senior
Senior

West Virginia MBB discussing that Virginia Tech officials have started talking to the SEC
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=8986645

Take it for what it's worth - a grain of salt.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:30 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

First, I don't think the SEC has any current plans to go to 16. Internally, there is no support for such. If the B1G and PAC12 expanded further, then the SEC may again jump into the fray. The ACC just signed their controversial TV deal that shall incorporate 'Cuse & Pitt, so unless a school such as Notre Dame comes knocking soon, they will hold for awhile. The Big12 may add, but their current base is only 10.

Hypothetically, with a new expansion, I don't think the SEC has any real NC option if they did expand. They would not pursue Wake, Duke, and ECU. NCSU is tied to UNC in governance.

One school under the radar the SEC may be interested in a future expansion could be Virginia (not a mistake for VPI).

Virginia has not been so happy since they were forced to vote to include VPI in the ACC. UVA does not want to be a part of any proposed ACC north division. Not long ago, some UVA related comments expressed some concern with the NC-centered focus.

UVA's proximity to the Richmond to DC corridor, and Commonwealth-wide & regional following, plus many NE alumni, would have market appeal to the SEC. UVA's academic profile goes appreciably beyond the SEC's thrust with their recent additions. Virginia is contiguous to Tenn. & Kentucky.

While some may say UVA cannot compete in fb with the SEC elite; are they really so far off in fb compared to Texas A&M & Mizzou currently (Ok, they are recent bowl teams)? SEC membership may immediately enhance their recruiting capabilities; & UVA brings a lot of success with some other sports. A few olympic style sports they have the SEC may not sponsor, but those factors could be worked out.

As to schools such as FSU and Clemson, the SEC may not seek them not because of markets so much.....these schools fill their stadiums well and are very worthy TV attractions. The issue centers around recruiting. With Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and So. Car., vying for recruits in common areas, giving enhanced advantages to more in-current footprint schools is not something they favor doing.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:32 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Article out of Birmingham reporting on new SEC/Big 12 bowl agreement at http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012 ... _coul.html

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

the two new schools for the sec is Va tech and NC State. State has more fans than unc and my guess is money too.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

footballgod wrote:
the two new schools for the sec is Va tech and NC State. State has more fans than unc and my guess is money too.

Yeah, with Texas A&M leaving the Big 12, I wouldn't be shocked if other 2nd fiddle schools in other states take a look at that model.

If you're NC State, you know you'll never be on par with UNC and Duke as long as they're connected to them. But in the Big 12, with Clemson, FSU, GA Tech and VA Tech, NC State is the big football fish in the NC pond.

That said, it's still a stretch to me...means the Big 12 pulls 6 from the ACC, like a MAryland as well. Just a stretch right now to go from 10 to 16. But the P10 came close to doing it, why not the B12.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1064 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next