NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1064 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:36 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

lash wrote:
I am guessing Maryland and Nebraska would make some different choices if the decision were made this year.

Nebraska was chasing the Big Ten for over a century. Nothing was going to stop that union.

Maryland swapped its president and AD. Stick with a Mid-Atlantic guy or a northeastern person, they don't budge. Their faculty wanted them to move, but faculty don't usually get to make these decisions (and some, ahem, have some pretty whacky ideas altogether).

The problem with a lot of these moves are, at least from a free-flowing capitalistic economic perspective, where the money really is, these schools don't move. Florida State walked away from more money in the Big XII, and probably didn't thoroughly scout its SEC options, because its president was an academically-minded guy who, along with his faculty, wanted FSU among the likes of Duke, UVA, UNC, and the other top-level universities. FSU staying in the ACC was not about sports, "easy road to the football championship" is bollocks. Maryland's faculty wanted the Big Ten. Heck, 15 years ago, Notre Dame's faculty approved a move to join the Big Ten's CIC. These days, anyone in the ACC could be making more money in another conference, but they chose not to (talking about UVA, UNC, Duke, FSU, Clemson, VT, NCSU, and GT).

It's a screwed up system. It's definitely illogical...chasing after television sets as the product declines in popularity, probably because tradition was tossed out, while not following the money...why would someone join the Big Ten? Enrollment profile? It's the same with the ACC and why some schools just won't indulge the SEC. The money's with the SEC...the academic profile is with the ACC. These things aren't run by sports fanatics, which is a good thing, to a point.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Ummh, Mississippi State and Mississippi tied for #3 in AP poll. The detractors, the pseudo-snobs clutching to outdated arguments, the big-name fawners, the biased media including the SEC latch-ons, can eat stewed crow. Hope it lasts, and the whole country will have to focus on the Egg Bowl. A tough road yet, getting around Auburn and a couple of potential rebounders. But still, very remarkable!
Given results to date, hope now for an all-bulldog SEC Championship game: Mississippi State vs Georgia.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The world always seems like a better place when Alabama loses. Beautiful day here in Maryland, which BTW is delighted to be in the Big 10.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:11 am 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Ummh, Mississippi State and Mississippi tied for #3 in AP poll. The detractors, the pseudo-snobs clutching to outdated arguments, the big-name fawners, the biased media including the SEC latch-ons, can eat stewed crow. Hope it lasts, and the whole country will have to focus on the Egg Bowl. A tough road yet, getting around Auburn and a couple of potential rebounders. But still, very remarkable!
Given results to date, hope now for an all-bulldog SEC Championship game: Mississippi State vs Georgia.

sec - I actually think Mississippi State is a good team this year but come on...

Wisconsin is preseason #14 and they look horrible
LSU beat Wisc in an ugly win and jump from #13 to number #12
LSU proceeds to play 2 cupcakes and makes their way up to #8
(Still all based around 1 win against Wisc who looks worse and worse week after week and is now unranked)
LSU plays an unranked Miss State team and gets embarrassed by MSU
MSU jumps from unranked to #14 to #12 after their bye week
--
South Carolina is preseason #9 and they look horrible
A&M beats SC and jump from #21 to number #9 from 1 win
A&M proceeds to play 3 cupcakes and makes their way up to #6
(Still all based around 1 win against SC who looks worse and worse week after week and is now unranked)
A&M plays an unranked Arkansas and pulls out a win in OT and still maintains their #6 ranking
A&M plays #12 MSU gets embarrassed by MSU
MSU jumps from #12 to #3
--
Meanwhile the Big 12 starts lower beats up on each other (just like the SEC) and has trouble getting an undefeated team even in the rankings right before they beat #3/4 team in the nation. You can also use argument for the PAC12 and Arizona.

Its SEC bias, its clear as day when you look at the game they pick, places/people they highlight. If ESPN cared about being impartial I'm pretty sure you'd see quiet a few less Gameday's in SEC country which in turn would likely lower the overall rankings of the SEC. But the South cares about college football more than the NFL so I understand it as its a better business decision to play to your base (like FNC to Rs and MSNBC to Ds).

All that being said, I think MSU is poised to make a good run, and if I was you I'd enjoy it while you can. Drink the Kool-Aid, it doesn't hurt anything.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:56 am 
All-Star
All-Star

TKthunder wrote:

Its SEC bias, its clear as day when you look at the game they pick, places/people they highlight. If ESPN cared about being impartial I'm pretty sure you'd see quiet a few less Gameday's in SEC country which in turn would likely lower the overall rankings of the SEC.

Very odd, you would say such. You are a Longhorns fan of which ESPN is the provider of the LHN. But that's an impartial decision?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

westwolf wrote:
The world always seems like a better place when Alabama loses. Beautiful day here in Maryland, which BTW is delighted to be in the Big 10.

Yep, 'Bama deserves a moment of accepting some measure of humility.
As messy as the circumstances became, concur that Maryland made the right move for themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
TKthunder wrote:

Its SEC bias, its clear as day when you look at the game they pick, places/people they highlight. If ESPN cared about being impartial I'm pretty sure you'd see quiet a few less Gameday's in SEC country which in turn would likely lower the overall rankings of the SEC.

Very odd, you would say such. You are a Longhorns fan of which ESPN is the provider of the LHN. But that's an impartial decision?

Absolutely not, but its a necessity. Compare the LHN/SECN content to the BTN/P12N content and its night and day. Networks needs a partner and ESPN is the best one. But that doesn't absolve them of some level of journalistic integrity.

I readily admit and accept that UT/OU have a huge advantage over the rest of the Big12, because if either of us win the conference even with 1 loss and we'll automatically be included in the playoff. Can't say the same about Baylor, OSU, KSU, or WVU, they pretty much have to go undefeated to be sure (remember #3 OSU with 1 loss sitting outside watching the LSU/Bama rematch, that wouldn't have happened if it was OU/UT). Is that fair...no, but it is a reward of such for history and the brand.

The issue is that ESPN is making the SEC brand out to be more than they are. The East sucks and the West (while still likely the toughest division in cfb) is way overhyped (Bama/Ole Miss/Auburn all struggled with lesser OOC foes and MSU, while looking good, has really just beat a bunch of overrated teams, but the Auburn will shows who's the real deal). The PAC12 has arguably as many if not more than the SEC does this year but no one is talking about the Arizona schools, we're only talking about the Mississippi schools and that's a shame as they could really use some of the hype. But like I said, college football is most popular in the South so ESPN is playing to their base (and they should) but they are over doing it SO much that its now become a monster that feeds on itself...its overkill.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:43 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

TKthunder wrote:
sec03 wrote:
TKthunder wrote:

Absolutely not, but its a necessity. Compare the LHN/SECN content to the BTN/P12N content and its night and day. Networks needs a partner and ESPN is the best one. But that doesn't absolve them of some level of journalistic integrity.

I readily admit and accept that UT/OU have a huge advantage over the rest of the Big12, because if either of us win the conference even with 1 loss and we'll automatically be included in the playoff. Can't say the same about Baylor, OSU, KSU, or WVU, they pretty much have to go undefeated to be sure (remember #3 OSU with 1 loss sitting outside watching the LSU/Bama rematch, that wouldn't have happened if it was OU/UT). Is that fair...no, but it is a reward of such for history and the brand.

The issue is that ESPN is making the SEC brand out to be more than they are. The East sucks and the West (while still likely the toughest division in cfb) is way overhyped (Bama/Ole Miss/Auburn all struggled with lesser OOC foes and MSU, while looking good, has really just beat a bunch of overrated teams, but the Auburn will shows who's the real deal). The PAC12 has arguably as many if not more than the SEC does this year but no one is talking about the Arizona schools, we're only talking about the Mississippi schools and that's a shame as they could really use some of the hype. But like I said, college football is most popular in the South so ESPN is playing to their base (and they should) but they are over doing it SO much that its now become a monster that feeds on itself...its overkill.

#2 favored to beat #3 by 2.5 and has gotten a week's worth of pre-game coverage on ESPN, and that's your validation? Trying to be analytical off of clearly prejudicial and selective stance against the successful SEC, and particularly one institution that is doing very well so far this season, doesn't deliver a clean point, let alone show it has any convincing content. Repeating something over and over is not going to change reality. The SEC-east sucks compared to whom? The SEC-west? OK, that's been largely true to date, but your comparative attempt did not indicate that. But also, there are 3 SEC-east schools with just one lost right now (will change tomorrow); and there are whole conferences whereby every member has at least one loss, and that includes the B1G.

So ESPN is making pollsters from all over the country, as well as computers, significantly over-rate the SEC? I would not flatter ESPN to that level. I have been critical of ESPN on many of their actions, but having an over-zealous affection for Mississippi is not one of them. One may resent a conference, school, or region; but to blame a broadcaster because a school has defeated some lofty competition and has a strong W-L record is disingenuous. Because a school with high name recognition such as Texas, is having a 'down' period and lost ranking, does not mean newcomers, with less notoriety, rising upwards is attributable to ESPN in itself. The games have to be played and coached. And how many times has Texas, as well as a number of others, benefited off their name when it came to polls, particularly during the pre-season or early season?

ESPN Gameday devotes significant coverage to all the major conferences. The B1G, for example, is usually the first breakdown featured. And Gameday has not limited themselves to SEC campuses. That said, I am sure site decisions are influenced by rankings, potential levels of enthusiasm, invitations, logistics, and a host of other factors not limited to SEC sunshine. They've said they make most of their site choices on a week-by-week basis; so matchups that look very attractive would be in the running, and the SEC offers more than their share of them. Gameday was even in Fargo, North Dakota this year. And as to the PAC12, it would be 6:00AM there when Gameday commences their live broadcasts. But they have been out there too multiple times over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:16 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The argument that it is not an argument is weak. The Big 12 and the PAC12 South is better than the SEC East, and I'd venture to say that the PAC12 North and ACC Atlantic are also as good. There are plenty of examples out there here's one of my favorites so far this year.

There are also multiple website (I'm not going to list them all) dedicated to this topic with tons of examples and don't get me started on how every SEC scandal gets mentioned and then quickly swept under the rug with little to no punishment while ACC/PAC12/B1G schools get vilified for years after the fact (notice I left out the Big12 as plenty of stories I hear about down here concerning the TX/OK schools also never seem to have staying power in the national media, once again that's part of ESPN's primary base). I'm not sure why you are throwing a down Texas team in the mix as it has nothing to do with the SEC and I've openly admitted that UT/OU are 2 of ESPN's favored teams but while still receiving some bias, its not nearly as much as the SEC as a whole receives every year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

HAIL STATE !!! #1 :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:25 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Living in the state of Alabama, not a fan of UAT, Auburn or any other SEC school, your. crazy if you think any scandal is swept under the rug. Still plenty of talk of Eric Ramsey and Gene Jelks to fill radio talk shows daily. Then you stiil get the scoop on recent scandal and back to Bear, Shug, the General and Wallace Wade buying players.

Like it or not the SEC is playing better football than anyone else. Things can and will change but somebody better start matching dollars or it will be awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Gemofthehills wrote:
Living in the state of Alabama, not a fan of UAT, Auburn or any other SEC school, your. crazy if you think any scandal is swept under the rug. Still plenty of talk of Eric Ramsey and Gene Jelks to fill radio talk shows daily. Then you stiil get the scoop on recent scandal and back to Bear, Shug, the General and Wallace Wade buying players.

Like it or not the SEC is playing better football than anyone else. Things can and will change but somebody better start matching dollars or it will be awhile.

Please list the worst NCAA punishment the SEC or Big 12 has received in the BCS/playoff era and compare that to the PAC12, B1G, or ACC.

Like wise I live in the Big 12 and hear tons locally about scandals, but nothing ever seems to go national or if it does its quickly forgot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:37 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Dont know a complete list but UAT was hit real hard by the Albert Means scandal and USC was hit pretty hard by the Reggie Bush scandal. Auburn I believe miss out on a good run in the early 2000s because of a violation. FSU had some academic cheating in the mid 2000s?

Not sure what answer youre looking for but if it violations I'm sure the SEC is in the lead. College football and NASCAR are about the same in the south, if you aint cheating you aint trying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Gem, not necessarily, and depends on whom one cites. I can list plenty of PAC12, ACC, and B1G school scandals. Some are very dated, and some are not. First, one may need to separate NCAA violations from the string activity here of SEC bashing---'the SEC is doing very well, so they are all cheating and/or ESPN has caused so many of them to get highly ranked.'

Global claims, colorful bold and selective blogs, stereotypical comments---that can be done endlessly with Loch Nest Monster sightings.
Not only Alabama, but there's been some big-time scandals outside the southeast and some nasty stuff has happened in places such as Colorado, Illinois, Washington, Ohio State, UCLA, USC, Arizona State, and more recently North Carolina and Miami (again), which it looks like they escaped on due to lame NCAA procedures. And FSU has nothing to be proud about in this regard, and some new revelations are incubating. And when looking at conference/institutional cheating, don't forget about basketball and other sports. That's hardly been limited to Kentucky in the SEC way back.
One may want to inquire about the Hart Lee Dykes scandals, and that involved three former SWC schools and a B10 school at the time.
Below are a couple of listings from 2012 concerning violations/cheating. They differ, and I am bit suspect of the second one because it did not include Alabama. The Bear Bryant era, for example, did a lot of dirty stuff, and that included some on-field tactics and some blatantly preferential officiating. Brethren in the SEC have lost tolerance for that, and Alabama cannot dictate to the level they once did. Yet, they continue to load-up on 5 and 4 star recruits, often ranked #1 at it in the Saban era. For a school such as Mississippi State to rise to the top with much less, mainly with 2 and 3 star recruits, is remarkable. Obviously, MSU had done a fine job with recognizing some diamonds in the ruff and developing their players. State could lose a game or two for the remainder of the season, but their accomplishments
this season are impressive.

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... l-programs

http://nationalcollegefootballreport.bl ... -fame.html

If one hates the SEC, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Georgia, etc., that's fine to say so, and move on and don't appear jealous. Nothing here matters to anyone important.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1064 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71