NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards

Discussions by Conference:

NCAA Map
  It is currently Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:42 am 
All-Star
All-Star

freaked4collegefb wrote:
ESPN blog article discussing this week's SEC spring meetings at http://espn.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/1173 ... c-meetings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the SEC preparing to add the University of Oklahoma by potentially moving Missouri back to the west and Auburn to the east.

If Florida State has some wiggle room out of the ACC GOR and the Big 12 could release Oklahoma from GOR to stabilize that league, could this be the new SEC to compete with the Big Ten.

East: Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee
West: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Oklahoma

Once these moves take place we should stop using the term power leagues and group of five schools and have tiers of leagues.

Tier 1: SEC, Big Ten

Tier 2: ACC, Pac 12, Big 12?

Tier 3: AAC, MWC

Tier 4: Conference USA, Sun Belt, Mid American

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:37 pm 
Senior
Senior

lash wrote:
Is the SEC preparing to add the University of Oklahoma by potentially moving Missouri back to the west and Auburn to the east.

If Florida State has some wiggle room out of the ACC GOR and the Big 12 could release Oklahoma from GOR to stabilize that league, could this be the new SEC to compete with the Big Ten.

East: Florida State, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Tennessee
West: Alabama, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas A&M, Missouri, Oklahoma

Once these moves take place we should stop using the term power leagues and group of five schools and have tiers of leagues.

Tier 1: SEC, Big Ten

Tier 2: ACC, Pac 12, Big 12?

Tier 3: AAC, MWC

Tier 4: Conference USA, Sun Belt, Mid American

I like a couple of your points. Many say the SEC wouldn't duplicate a state which would eliminate Florida St. However, there are some schools that are just different animals. For example, the B1G pursued Notre Dame for a while but already had Indiana and Purdue. The B1G has not pursued Iowa St. Notre Dame is a completely different type of school than Iowa St. Same here. Florida St is not Louisville. While I think Louisville fits the SEC profile and would be a good addition, I don't see them ever getting in the conference because of Kentucky. Florida St is like a Texas A&M or Michigan St in that they may not be the main flagship in their state, but they might as well be.

In your tiers, I believe that's roughly how they would go. Tier 1 would be the North and the South (B1G and SEC). Tier 2 would be the East and the West (ACC and PAC). Tier 3 would then be the MWC and AAC. Tier 4 finishing up with CUSA, MAC, and Sun Belt.

I don't see the XII staying together. As far as what tier each school is by where they may end up: I'd say Texas and Oklahoma are clear Tier 1. Oklahoma St and Kansas are probably Tier 1 but could be Tier 2. West Virginia and Texas Tech have Tier 1 dreams but probably Tier 2. Kansas St, Iowa St, TCU, and Baylor are Tier 2. For independents: Notre Dame is Tier 1. BYU is Tier 2. Army, Massachusetts, New Mexico St, and Idaho (sigh) are Tier 3.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:41 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

With Florida St you have to think of them not as a school that will bring zero additional cable subscribers but as a football program that has a solid reputation and whose loss would open up the ACC making other programs vulnerable for poaching. I have to think that Florida St probably accounts for 20% of the valuation of the ACC television package.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:50 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

BePcr07 wrote:
For independents: Notre Dame is Tier 1. BYU is Tier 2. Army, Massachusetts, New Mexico St, and Idaho (sigh) are Tier 3.

I agree with Notre Dame and BYU. Army is Tier 3 but only because they have fans across the county not because they've been any good the past 15 years. UMass and NMSU are definitely Tier 4 and Idaho is about to be FCS.

in the same way you broke down the Big 12 membership I definitely think the ACC is also stratified, having some members that belong in Tier 1: Florida St, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Virginia Tech are definitely in that category. You could make an argument for a few others

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:25 am 
Junior
Junior

Just a question, but why would the SEC need FSU? Is the SEC hurting for football teams? If you had to say the SEC as a sports conference has a weakness, wouldn't you have to say it is in men's hoops.

Assuming the Big 12 does lose a few teams along the way, wouldn't the SEC be better off listening to Horace Greeley and going west, not east. Add OU and Kansas and hoops gets a lot better real quick.
That would also be a pretty good travel pod- OU, Arkansas, Mizzou, KU.

The Big 10 might raid the ACC and get UNC and UVA.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:57 am 
All-Star
All-Star

hendu1976fl wrote:
Just a question, but why would the SEC need FSU? Is the SEC hurting for football teams? If you had to say the SEC as a sports conference has a weakness, wouldn't you have to say it is in men's hoops.

Assuming the Big 12 does lose a few teams along the way, wouldn't the SEC be better off listening to Horace Greeley and going west, not east. Add OU and Kansas and hoops gets a lot better real quick.

The answer is simple because the cable industry is changing rapidly and ESPN is losing cable subscribers by the thousands. Part of this is due to carriage cost and cable customers have smartened up on the bundling idea that you can sneak something (conference network) onto the customer which ordinarily would not pay for unless this was hidden in a bundled package.

The one area the Big Ten obviously has proven is live TV or tier 1 is very much in demand especially for college football. FOX up front made a huge investment to get half of the Big Ten tier 1 or live TV football and some basketball games. The advertising dollars for Florida State live football games against SEC schools would more that trump the SEC taking a NC State or Virginia Tech just to get cable subscribers added to its network.

While it made sense to take Missouri with Texas A&M with large TV cable markets, the industry is changing and live TV is the area that continues to be in demand. A football powerhouse with much tradition and ability to fill huge stadiums are going to be more valued compared to schools located in a state that may currently not have an SEC team for cable subscriptions.

There is a reason ESPN is laying off folks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:42 pm 
Junior
Junior

lash wrote:
hendu1976fl wrote:

The answer is simple because the cable industry is changing rapidly and ESPN is losing cable subscribers by the thousands. Part of this is due to carriage cost and cable customers have smartened up on the bundling idea that you can sneak something (conference network) onto the customer which ordinarily would not pay for unless this was hidden in a bundled package.

The one area the Big Ten obviously has proven is live TV or tier 1 is very much in demand especially for college football. FOX up front made a huge investment to get half of the Big Ten tier 1 or live TV football and some basketball games. The advertising dollars for Florida State live football games against SEC schools would more that trump the SEC taking a NC State or Virginia Tech just to get cable subscribers added to its network.

While it made sense to take Missouri with Texas A&M with large TV cable markets, the industry is changing and live TV is the area that continues to be in demand. A football powerhouse with much tradition and ability to fill huge stadiums are going to be more valued compared to schools located in a state that may currently not have an SEC team for cable subscriptions.

I agree with you about FSU being a good draw. I had to cut it short in my last post. If the SEC went after OU and Kansas, it would leave the top ACC targets open for poaching by the Big 10. That is what I was going for.

As far as live sports go, wouldn't KU basketball be worth something.

I'm not saying it is what the SEC will do, but I think it would be an intriguing idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:01 am 
All-Star
All-Star

lash wrote:
hendu1976fl wrote:

That's an excellent point. TV viewers want to see the big names--Rutgers and Maryland not so much. That's why I think the Big Ten made a bad move a few years ago. The expanded based on the metric of more cable subscribers means more money. Cable and Dish are dying. Live streaming on digital platforms is the future and demand will be based upon the name recognition and quality of on-field/count product. In the future, I think we will see this become the driving force of league expansion.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:45 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Mike Bianchi of The Orlando Sentinel advocates that the SEC should buy Clemson, FSU, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Would that come with Notre Dame and a gift certificate to the Olive Garden?

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Bianchi-SEC-s ... a-45678989

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:01 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

sec03 wrote:
Mike Bianchi of The Orlando Sentinel advocates that the SEC should buy Clemson, FSU, Texas, and Oklahoma.

Would that come with Notre Dame and a gift certificate to the Olive Garden?

http://247sports.com/Bolt/Bianchi-SEC-s ... a-45678989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's a solid proposal. Those are teams at people want to see on tv. The SEC has the luxury of waiting until their GORs are up and getting them without all the ridiculous exit fees. I'd throw in a Virginia school and a North Carolina school to make it an even 20. You can do 4 pods of 5, 5 pods of 4, or 2 divisions of 10.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:58 am 
All-Star
All-Star

I can see 4 conferences of 18 each at some point. The Big XII schools being dispersed....
If I was the SEC, those would be the 4 schools that I would choose.

I wouldn't think the SEC would want to absorb that many elite schools until after the CFP expands to 8 or 16 teams....
(which I think could happen after the first "rotation" of the current 12-year CFP arrangement, which occurs after year 6 (2019-2020).

If the SEC did that, the BIG would counter by inviting Notre Dame (of course), maybe Kansas, and maybe some ACC teams and/or UConn.

The ACC would re-stock with UConn, WVU, Cincy, Temple, Memphis.... (as required)

PAC could add some of: BYU, Colorado State, Boise State, San Diego State, UNLV, K State, Ok State, maybe a Texas team (Houston ?)....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:49 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Bleacher's Report article pertaining to the topic of ways the SEC could re-organize its divisions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2645 ... -divisions

Mississippi State University area newspaper discussing SEC TV scheduling the first three weeks of the upcoming season:

http://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=50773

It also references that the SunBelt will implement a championship game in 2018 (Freaked did a post announcement on this in SB thread).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:54 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

tute79 wrote:
I can see 4 conferences of 18 each at some point. The Big XII schools being dispersed....
If I was the SEC, those would be the 4 schools that I would choose.

Mike Bianchi does produce some provocative and agenda-driven columns. I do like him addressing expansion, though in my opinion, some of it is way out there.

There will be new problems if major conferences become too big. Past 14/16, splitting talk becomes serious. Legal challenges and anti-trust suits about monopolization grow. Schools in the same conference will seldom play certain others in a host of sports. TV broadcasters, which are private entities, will have greater leverage over conferences and they may not always be so benevolent once control becomes more centralized. Conference in-fighting elevates between the "haves" and the "lesser haves".

I believe a 16 member conference is way more than enough. Beyond that, why a bunch of separate pods? Just formulate another conference at that point.

That said, I agree with Bianchi that now is the moment for the B12 to take action on expansion if it expects a lofty future and hangs with the most elite.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/u ... olumn.html

-----------------
Prior referenced:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/f ... olumn.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:13 pm 
Senior
Senior

Large conferences are doable but difficult. How can a school be in a conference with another school and play each other every 3 or 4 years? It becomes more of an affiliation. Maybe the PAC, SEC, B1G, and ACC could balloon to 18 or 20 or more and have their divisions act as separate pseudo-conferences in football. Each "conference" champion would play in the CCG. In basketball, play everyone once.

I'm also in favor of probably the minority of reorganizing divisions based on competitiveness. I understand some teams change dramatically year-to-year, but it may help. The NFL has a similar approach to scheduling. Maybe have 1 permanent rival who is a locked cross-division game? Alabama/Auburn, Mississippi/Mississippi St, Arkansas/Missouri, Texas A&M/LSU, Tennessee/Vanderbilt, Florida/Georgia, Kentucky/South Carolina. The last one seems forced but that's what you get with larger conferences.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:20 am 
All-Star
All-Star

While on the topic of the SEC's prospects for "buying" schools, let's look at what some B12 advocates are saying about buying schools.
After all, that's the conference where the question of expansion is front and center.

Here's Brice Cherry of the Waco Tribune talking about "buying" other P5 schools:

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/f ... 54d2e.html

Well, Baylor, you don't suppose.........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79