NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Pac-10 Possibilities
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:48 pm 
Junior
Junior

Given the scenario that the Big 10 accepts one more school, say Notre Dame or Pitt or one of the Big 12 schools, do you think the Pac 10 would add schools?

I am of the opinion that whatever the Big 10 does, so will the Pac 10. They closely align themselves with each other (Rose Bowl) and mirror each other. If the Big 10 were to add Notre Dame (not very likely, but still a possibility), would the Pac-10 add two? And if so, who?

Colorado and Colorado State would be a possibility. San Diego State and Fresno State? I think the Colorado schools would offer the best possibility due to regionality and more importantly athletics.

Would the Pac-10 and Big-10 keep the same names? They should think of renaming if they go to 12 schools each. Pacific Coast Conference and MidWest Conference?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:52 pm 
Senior
Senior

The Pac-10, I predict, will do everything they can to prevent any kind of a playoff. To do that, they will most likely refrain from expanding to 12. If every major conference has 12, it's that much easier to stage a playoff. The Pac-10 is against it because they value the Rose Bowl so much, among other reasons. They'll be the last of the BCS 6 to expand.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

I've said it before...the Pac-10 will only expand if its very life depends upon it. Not just to make sure they get thier fair share of the pie. I believe they would just as soon lose thier BCS slot than admit Fresno St. and San Diego St...they're Cal State schools for Gods sake, not even part of the vaunted UC system...whatever >:( >:( >:(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:14 am 
I don't see any chance of SDSU ever going to the Pac 10, they'll only be interested in cream-of-the-crop teams. The most logical options would be: Colorado-CSU, or two of Fresno State-Boise State-Hawaii. Any other choices would make geographical sense, but i don't think would pass the competitive scrutiny that the Pac 10 would demand.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:27 am 
Sophomore
Sophomore

A plug for Fresno St. going to the PAC.

http://www.fresnostatenews.com/2003/November/MedicalSchool.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:57 am 
Senior
Senior

VDog, hmmm...now that would start to make things interesting, thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:24 am 
It was about the MED school!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:37 am 
Senior
Senior

etv, one of the biggest reasons for the Pac-10 not to consider Fresno St. is the lack of academic standing. Obviously the addition of a MED school and additional Master/PhD programs enhances thier chances. The Pac-10 is VERY much an academic centered conference, perhaps more so than any in the country. :)

Last edited by gumby on Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:43 am 
All-Star
All-Star

All well and good, but it has little to do with PAC-10 expansion. Can you say TV markets added?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:10 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I vouch for BYU and Utah.

The Pac-10 I think is the only conference whose arch rivalries are written in stone. Those rivalries are based on the state they are in, too.

Washington-Washington State
Oregon-Oregon State
Cal-Stanford
UCLA-USC
Arizona-Arizona State

I agree that the Pac-10 (Pac-12) will avoid a championship game, but if they do have one...

North
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford

South
BYU
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State
UCLA
USC

But that's just me... ::)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:13 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
I vouch for BYU and Utah.

The Pac-10 I think is the only conference whose arch rivalries are written in stone. Those rivalries are based on the state they are in, too.

Washington-Washington State
Oregon-Oregon State
Cal-Stanford
UCLA-USC
Arizona-Arizona State

I agree that the Pac-10 (Pac-12) will avoid a championship game, but if they do have one...

North
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Cal
Stanford

South
BYU
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State
UCLA
USC

But that's just me... ::)

Makes perfect sense to me, but I heard/read somewhere that the Pac-10 wouldn't be interested in those two. I don't know what the basis is. I've also heard/read a lot about Colorado and Colorado State.

Of course, why CSU as opposed to Utah (great for basketball) or Hawaii or SDSU or even New Mexico (attendence for football could be issue).....other than the fact that if Colorado goes, CSU is the natural choice since Pac 10 teams come in twos as you stated:

Oregon - Oregon State
Washington - Washington State
Arizona - Arizona State
USC - UCLA
Stanford - Cal

I swear I've never seen a conference so perfectly balanced for season ending rival to rival play!! It would almost be disappointing to see them take two teams from different states!

If up to me I would organize the divisions a little differently though ATrain:

South: (I wouldn't break up the California teams)

Cal
Stanford
USC
UCLA
Arizona
ASU

North:

Washington
WSU
Oregon
OSU
BYU (Colorado)
Utah (CSU)

If they did get funky and take Colorado and someone else, then I'd put them in the South, just to make sense:

USC
UCLA
Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Utah (BYU, SDSU, HI, etc.)

Just my thoughts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:03 pm 
Junior
Junior

That's a great article, and I think it's probably right on the money. The PAC 10 does not want to expand.......but, if the Big 10 (11) goes to 12....I think the PAC 10 reluctantly will also, if only to not be outdone by her midwestern stepsister. Reasons for this have already been discussed of course.

Last edited by stevuscaticus on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:57 pm 
Sophomore
Sophomore

Overall the best choice for the PAC "IF" they decide on expansion is Hawaii. Hawaii is on the edge as far as academics, t.v. market and athletics.
BYU and Utah will not be seperated and the Cougars will not get a PAC invite, so that is that.
San Diego State is a step behind in academics and athletics, but has a nice t.v. market that unfortunately is partialy shared by the PAC.
UNLV will not get an invite, there are several reasons, but the biggest and ultimately the only one that matters is, the school is in Vegas.
Fresno St. like Hawaii is on the edge in athletics, but is a step behind in academics, though they are making great strides to remedy this issue. The t.v. market is in almost the same boat as San Diego, except the Valley as a whole is larger and the Dogs have a more entrenched fan base.
Colorado St. will not be considered unless Colorado joins and that seems unlikely.
Is, has, or will there ever be any interest in AFA by the PAC?

The top choices are:

1-Hawaii
2-Fresno St.
3-San Diego St.

All 3 of these teams are fairly long standing rivals.

The PAC will probably want more from these programs than they can currently provide, but who knows, in a few years things may change.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:07 am 
Senior
Senior

BlackGold...thanks for article, but the guy is an SC snob.
I agree with those who believe the Pac10 goes to 12 only when the Big10 does.

Sorry Dog, but FSU and SDSU get into the Pac10 when Kent St or Bowling Green join the Big10 as the 12th school. Not going to happen. The SC business prof is right on that score. ;)

TrainEdge needs to do his homework...we've be-labored why BYU is NOT acceptable to Pac10, so I won't repeat again. It's nice to have new blood on this forum, but you should research some of this stuff before you post. Look at some of the old threads. :)

Also, I will re-state...as said before...NO way do the California schools ever split...EVER. Two new schools will have to go with the Northwest Four. You won't ever split out Cal/Stanfurd/UCLA/SC...NEVER! Take it to the bank!
8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next