Why was UM very much against the Big10 bringing in MSU? In addition, has the Big10 ever 'considered' any other school besides ND for expansion (before all the conference movement in the late 80s until now). Or has any other school considered the Big10.
Here are the results of some newspaper searches on this topic. Most of the URLs get truncated below. In cases of truncation, you will need to copy and paste from the "http:" to the next blank space. Also the :D needs to be replaced with a ":" followed directly by a "D", without the quotes.
- 1913 -- Nebraska & Notre Dame -- BIG NINE" TO STAY.:Western Conference Opposed to Admitting Other Colleges. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 7, 1913. pg. S1, 1 pgs CHICAGO, Dec. 6. -- Delegates to the Western Intercollegiate Conference today decided it was not expedient to enlarge the conference, thus disposing of the applications of Nebraska and Notre Dame for membership (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nytimes/100290549.html?did=100290549&FMT=ABS&FMTS=AI&date=Dec+7,+1913&desc=+BIG+NINE%22+TO+ STAY )
- 1945 – Pitt Reported Applying For Big Ten Post, The Washington Post (1877-1954). Washington, D.C.: Jun 27, 1945. pg. 8, 1 pgs, Cleveland, Ohio, June 26 (U.P.). -- The University of Pittsburgh has applied for membership in the Western Conference and the Big Ten is holding the request under advisement, the Cleveland Press said today. (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost_historical/214475242.html?did=214475242&FMT=ABS&FMTS=AI&date=Jun+27,+1945&de sc=Pitt+Reported+Applying+For+Big+Ten+Post )
- 1947 -- Michigan State (MICHIGAN STATE BID TABLED BY BIG NINE:Athletic Chiefs Block Return of Western Conference to 10-Member Status, New York Times (1857-Current File). New York, N.Y.: May 31, 1947. pg. 9, 1 pgs, CHICAGO, May 30 (AP) -- The Western Conference, prodded by a membership bid from Michigan State College, today asserted it had "no disposition to enlarge at this time." The sentiment was expressed in an informal poll of Big Nine athletic directors after President John Hannah of Michigan State personally had backed his college's long standing bid for membership. (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/nytimes/87536163.html?did=87536163&FMT=ABS&FMTS=AI&date=May+31,+1947&desc=MICHIGAN+STATE+BI D+TABLED+BY+BIG+NINE )
- 1990 – West Virginia UPDATE:[FINAL Edition 2] USA Today (Pre-1997 Fulltext). Arlington, Va.: May 9, 1990. pg. 11.C , Also: West Virginia has talked with the Big Ten about joining the conference if it decides to expand its membership, Mountaineers athletic director Ed Pastilong said Tuesday. (http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/USAToday/55993868.html?did=55993868&FMT=ABS&FMTS=FT&date=May+9,+1990&desc=UPDATE )
- 1990 -- PITT TALKED TO BIG TEN Date: June 9, 1990, Publication: Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (PA) Page: C2. Pitt President Wesley Posvar confirmed he held informal conversations with presidents at Big Ten schools about the possibility of joining the conference. The announcement came at the end of the week in which the Big Ten voted to Penn State as the 11th member. The conference also declared a four-year moratorium on further expansion. In a statement, Posvar said: "The University of Pittsburgh, with all the Big Ten and Penn State, are members of the American Association of Universities. (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=PG&p_theme=pg&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&p_text_search-0=&quo t;PITT%20TALKED%20TO%20BIG%20TEN"&s_dispstring=PITT%20TALKED%20TO%20BIG%20TEN%20AND%20date(06/01/1990%20to%2006/11/1 990)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=06/01/1990%20to%2006/11/1990&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_ date:D&xcal_useweights=no )
- 1990 – Pittsburgh Miami Herald, The (FL) - June 10, 1990, PITT PONDERS JOINING BIG TEN, The University of Pittsburgh has been exploring the possibility of following intrastate rival Penn State into the Big Ten conference, according to Pitt's president. Wesley Posvar confirmed Friday he has held informal conversations with his counterparts at Big Ten schools about joining the conference. The Big Ten admitted Penn State as the 11th member this week and declared a four-year moratorium on further expansion. (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?s_site=miami&p_multi=MH|&p_product=MH&p_theme=realcities&p_action=search&p _maxdocs=200&p_text_search-0=PITT%20AND%20PONDERS%20AND%20JOINING%20AND%20BIG%20AND%20TEN&s_dispstring=PITT%20PONDERS%20J OINING%20BIG%20TEN%20AND%20date(06/10/1990%20to%2006/10/1990)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_dat e-0=06/10/1990%20to%2006/10/1990&p_perpage=10&p_sort=_rank_:D&xcal_ranksort=4&xcal_useweights=yes )
- 1990 -- The Daily Oklahoman - June 28, 1990 NU Consults Big Ten, But Move Unlikely OMAHA, Neb. (AP) _ Nebraska athletic director Bob Devaney sent out a feeler to the Big Ten Conference last week after reports that Oklahoma would consider an offer to leave the Big Eight for the Southwest Conference. But OU and NU officials say the Sooners aren't likely to move, and Devaney says the Huskers aren't, either. Even if they were, they would have to wait out the Big Ten's four-year moratorium on further expansion talks.""I can't see it unless... (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives )
- 1990 -- The Milwaukee Journal - December 21, 1990, Expansion is on hold until 1994 Rutgers files 75-page report in bid to become 12th conference member -- expansion until 1994, despite reports that Rutgers University is seeking to become its 12th member, conference officials say. "There is no expansion being considered for four years," said Steven Beering, chairman of the 11 university presidents who form the Council of Ten, the conference's ruling body.reports that Rutgers had sent a report to the Big... (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives )
- 1991 – Rutgers “Before joining the Big East for football in 1991 and all sports in 1995, Rutgers applied for membership to the ACC and Big Ten.”, 05/14/03 - Posted 11:48:16 PM from the Daily Record newsroom, ACC expansion may doom Big East, Rutgers, http://www.dailyrecord.com/sports/pro/sports3-rutgers514.htm
- 1993 – Missouri Journal Star (Peoria, IL) - September 10, 1993, IS MISSOURI NEXT BIG TEN MEMBER?>SCHOOL IS SHOWING INTEREST, BUT IRISH MAY BE FIRST CHOICE, The Big Ten Conference is welcome to Missouri. Member of the Big Eight have been blatantly pushing Missouri's advantages if the Big Ten ever chooses to expand to 12 teams (and can't lure Notre Dame). "Obviously, I'm not going to have a vote in it whatsoever," Missouri football coach Bob Stull said this week, deferring to chancellor Charles Kiesler and athletic director Dan Devine. (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=JS&p_theme=js&p_action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_dispstring=Big%20T en%20AND%20date(9/10/1993%20to%209/10/1993)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E&p_text_date-0=9/10/1993%20to %209/10/1993&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=("Big%20Ten")&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:A&xcal_useweights =no )
- 1993 – Missouri The Kansas City Star - September 12, 1993, MU's chancellor defuses Big Ten issue Kiesler reaffirms loyalty to Big Eight in letter to commissioner. COLUMBIA - In an attempt to douse criticism for its alleged interest in the Big Ten Conference, Missouri Chancellor Charles Kiesler on Saturday distributed a copy of a letter he sent Friday to Big Eight Commissioner Carl James. In the closing paragraph, Kiesler wrote: "I will always support those actions which I determine are in the best interest of the university. I believe that involves continuing our enthusiastic and strong support of the Big Eight. " After reading that... (http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?s_site=kansascity&p_multi=KC|&p_product=KC&p_theme=realcities&p_action=sea rch&p_maxdocs=200&p_text_search-0=MU's%20AND%20chancellor%20AND%20defuses%20AND%20Big%20AND%20Ten&s_dispstring=MU's%20cha ncellor%20defuses%20Big%20Ten%20AND%20date(02/29/2003%20to%2002/29/1992)&p_field_date-0=YMD_date&p_params_date-0=date:B,E &p_text_date-0=02/29/2003%20to%2002/29/1992&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date:D&xcal_useweights=no )