Alabama
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Fsu
Florida
Miami
Tennessee
Kentucky

The SEC is NEVER, and I do mean NEVER let Georgia Tech back in. Tech used to be an SEC member and then they bolted for independent status. After a few years of horrid seasons, they realized their mistake, and began pleading to be readmitted to the SEC. Their pleas were denied and they stayed indy until the ACC picked them up. In its entire existence, the SEC has only lost three members total. The University of the South (Sewanee) which went D2 or D3, Tulane, and Georgia Tech. Tulane and GT chose to leave the SEC. The SEC is not and will not let them back in.
Miami had a golden opportunity to join the SEC when the SEC was first considering expansion. Miami was the first team on the SEC's list, despite opposition from UF. Miami declined and chose to join the Big East because there were more private schools in the Big East than the SEC. This is also why Miami picked the ACC as well. Private schools like being with other private schools.
As much as I would like to see Florida State join the SEC, it just won't happen. Bobby Bowden is the equivalent of Bear Bryant in Tallahassee, and what he says goes. F$U turned down an SEC invite to join the ACC back in 1992 and Bobby Bowden was behind it, because he DID NOT WANT a conference championship game. Look at what he'll have in the ACC in 2005. ;D

Quote:

ACC
South Carolina
Clemson
UNC
NC State
Duke
Wake
Virginia
Maryland
Navy
VA Tech
West Virginia

South Carolina is in the exact same situation with the ACC as Georgia Tech's is with the SEC. The ACC won't allow South Carolina back at all, nor does South Carolina want to rejoin the ACC.
West Virginia is really a poor ACC fit.
Navy is another poor ACC fit.

Last edited by dawgnduckfan on Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: New SEC/ACC/CUSA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:01 pm 
Junior
Junior

West Virginia is uniquely located where it could be SEC, Big 10, ACC, or Big East and not seem too out of place in any of those conferences. But I think they fit best with Pitt and Penn State.

Culturally and geographically, it's the crossroads of the East

Last edited by byufan227 on Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:40 pm 
One more Add on

SEC

Auburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:58 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

South Carolina is renewing a short series with UNC.

Now, there may be 2008-09 games with NC State.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14721307.htm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:43 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

Quote:
SEC
LSU
Arkansas
Ole Miss
Miss St
Alabama
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Fsu
Florida
Miami
Tennessee
Kentucky

The SEC is NEVER, and I do mean NEVER let Georgia Tech back in. Tech used to be an SEC member and then they bolted for independent status. After a few years of horrid seasons, they realized their mistake, and began pleading to be readmitted to the SEC. Their pleas were denied and they stayed indy until the ACC picked them up. In its entire existence, the SEC has only lost three members total. The University of the South (Sewanee) which went D2 or D3, Tulane, and Georgia Tech. Tulane and GT chose to leave the SEC. The SEC is not and will not let them back in.
Miami had a golden opportunity to join the SEC when the SEC was first considering expansion. Miami was the first team on the SEC's list, despite opposition from UF. Miami declined and chose to join the Big East because there were more private schools in the Big East than the SEC. This is also why Miami picked the ACC as well. Private schools like being with other private schools.
As much as I would like to see Florida State join the SEC, it just won't happen. Bobby Bowden is the equivalent of Bear Bryant in Tallahassee, and what he says goes. F$U turned down an SEC invite to join the ACC back in 1992 and Bobby Bowden was behind it, because he DID NOT WANT a conference championship game. Look at what he'll have in the ACC in 2005. ;D

Quote:

ACC
South Carolina
Clemson
UNC
NC State
Duke
Wake
Virginia
Maryland
Navy
VA Tech
West Virginia

South Carolina is in the exact same situation with the ACC as Georgia Tech's is with the SEC. The ACC won't allow South Carolina back at all, nor does South Carolina want to rejoin the ACC.

Miami has NEVER and I mean NEVER been approached by the SEC. There were talks between Florida State and the SEC but its not like the SEC was giving them the red carpet treatment either. The ovetures were half-hearted from both the SEC and FSU then FSU chose the ACC. I am a Miami fan and i can admit that Miami has a poor traveling fanbase. Does this sound like a fit for the SEC?

Cyber myths are just as false as regular myths. ;)

Last edited by pensacane on Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:12 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The SEC and ACC are all set. Look for no changes in either.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:46 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:

Miami has NEVER and I mean NEVER been approached by the SEC. There were talks between Florida State and the SEC but its not like the SEC was giving them the red carpet treatment either. The ovetures were half-hearted from both the SEC and FSU then FSU chose the ACC. I am a Miami fan and i can admit that Miami has a poor traveling fanbase. Does this sound like a fit for the SEC?

Cyber myths are just as false as regular myths. ;)

Better check with Roy F. Kramer, SEC commissioner at the time. After Arkansas was invited, and right before South Carolina was invited in 1990, Kramer did travel to Coral Gables and spoke with Miami. Apparently it did not go well. Among the issues at the time was Miami's commitment to women's sports.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:40 pm 
Senior
Senior

Georgia Tech won't join the SEC under the current conference management. If a future SEC commish is a Georgia Tech fan and wants the Yellow Jackets back in the SEC, then maybe it might happen.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:57 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Quote:

Better check with Roy F. Kramer, SEC commissioner at the time. After Arkansas was invited, and right before South Carolina was invited in 1990, Kramer did travel to Coral Gables and spoke with Miami. Apparently it did not go well. Among the issues at the time was Miami's commitment to women's sports.

I tried doing a search for Kramer inviting/talking to Miami to find anything on this and did not anything. I would have to think that in 1990 after winning 3 titles Miami's possible entrance into the SEC might have warranted a blip, comment...something. Sure he may have travelled there but how serious was this oveture? It could have been a ploy to pressure FSU whom the SEC did talk to. Do you have any links or sources? You have to admit that Miami would be an interesting if not strange fit in the SEC. Nothing against either the SEC or the University of Miami, but I just can't see it as a serious consideration by the SEC commisioner or the president of Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:14 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:

Quote:

I tried doing a search for Kramer inviting/talking to Miami to find anything on this and did not anything. I would have to think that in 1990 after winning 3 titles Miami's possible entrance into the SEC might have warranted a blip, comment...something. Sure he may have travelled there but how serious was this oveture? It could have been a ploy to pressure FSU whom the SEC did talk to. Do you have any links or sources? You have to admit that Miami would be an interesting if not strange fit in the SEC. Nothing against either the SEC or the University of Miami, but I just can't see it as a serious consideration by the SEC commisioner or the president of Miami.

Pensacane, I will try to see if I can locate some articles on this; it's going back 17 or so years. I do recall, THE STATE newspaper, Columbia, SC, did considerable coverage on the SEC expansion issue because USC was lobbying extremely hard for a SEC invite which was granted.

From what I recall, Kramer did speak with both FSU and Miami. FSU faculty voted in favor of joining the ACC. Miami did have lofty appeal at the time with their huge fb success.

From my recollection, the Kramer discussions with Miami were exploratory. There was probably not a formal invitation. From what I gathered, there was mutual agreement that the SEC and Miami were not the best fit. Certainly, Miami was not begging, at least publicly, for a SEC invite. South Carolina was.

Remember it was 1990, and Penn State was to enter the Big 10. For Miami, football was not the sole factor. Miami bb was a consideration. Women's sports were an issue then. Attitudes differed.

Existing schools in the SEC had their preferences too. Georgia pushed hard for South Carolina SEC membership. Alabama and Auburn were not so happy about it. Florida being in the SEC certainly was a decision-making factor when it came to FSU and Miami. FSU thought they could have more fb success in the ACC, and they certainly dominated for many years.

In the Big Ten, there were some grumblings about taking Penn State. While that seems a bit absurd now, individual schools react in terms of what they see as benefiting themselves.

Things change. Miami is in the ACC now, and in 1990 little was mentioned about Miami going in the ACC after FSU joined. Also, in 1990, Miami knew the Big East option was developing and maybe foresaw it as a better potential to remain dominant. Then, remaining independent was less pressure compared today; but it was also the year all major independents, except Notre Dame, positioned themselves for major conference security.