NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:06 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 58  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:56 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I think that Hawaii and San Diego St. make the most sense like KingCal indicated.

At least over in my parts UNLV has a bad image and reputation with all their troubles.

Although in regard to the paring thinking Fresno St. and Hawaii are now in the same conference.

My question how do you align the divisions. I saw in an earlier post talking about not breaking up certain schools.

Well in the SEC Alabama and Tennessee got split up but we play them every year anyway.

So with the schools far apart over the coast you have to do it geographical.

North:
Washington
Washington St.
Oregon
Oregon St.
Stanford
California

South
Arizona
Arizona St.
Hawaii
San Diego St.
UCLA
USC

As far as the championship game what 60,000-80,000 domes do you have other there to play that championship game?

I am interested in the many different suggestions that defeat my arguement ;D which I am sure will be.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 3:12 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
I am not from or am familar with the pacific coast but based on what I have read I think the Pac 10 should go with Hawaii and then fresno St. Why have they not been mentioned?

I think that the Utah politics rule both of those schools out. I am sorry but Colorado, Colorado St and Texas are stupid suggestions!

Given the UNLV problems and academic standards I see why they wouldnt be considered. I know you guys have said no more California schools but unless you go to New Mexico I think Fresno St and San Diego St would be looked at.

The SEC years ago when expanded didnt care about TV markets. They did what was best geographically and fan bases. South Carolina and Arkansas arent TV markets but who has the best TV contract? The SEC.

First time poster and would like feedback. Being no westerner please dont bash me if you think my selections are stupid.

Try not to cap on you too hard with this one... ;D

When do you think the SEC is going to consider UAB?
When do you think the ACC is going to consider ECU?
When do you think the Big 10 is going to consider Kent St.?

Answer...
All about the same time the Pac-10 considers Fresno St. or San Diego St.

Hawaii would be an option, but they don't have a partner.

Colorado and Texas are idealogical fits. The Pac-10 is like the Big-10...lots of attitude which is about idealogy. Both these conferences are less about "markets" than they probably should be.

I suppose S.Diego State could be swallowed if there was a perceived necessity to expand...just don't see it anytime soon. Fresno St....never! (notice i didn't say it was stupid) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:07 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Being a Hawaii fan living in Colorado, I know that Hawaii would love to go to the PAC10. Also, although Hawaii and Fresno are not in close proximity and thus would not necessarily make good "travel partners", Hawaii and Fresno State enjoyed a good rivalry the past several years in the WAC. Wherever Fresno State ends up in this realignment is where Hawaii would want to end up and vice versa. Also the travel costs that prevented Hawaii to be admitted into the MWC would not be as much as a concern for the PAC10 schools since traveling from Hawaii to the West Coast is significantly cheaper than traveling to the mountain region.
As far as getting Colorado and Texas into the Pac10, I'm sorry, but Colorado and Texas won't leave where they're at.
Someone else mentioned in another thread about what effect admitting Hawaii would do to it's "minor sports", mentioning baseball, volleyball, and golf. Well, I guess you folks don't know about Hawaii volleyball because volleyball is a major sport, both men's and women's. Volleyball is the biggest profit-maker for the investment.
As far as baseball goes, the support is there. The baseball field was rated one of the best in the nation at one time. And the fan support is there. They just have to start winning some games. With the relatively new coach and some good recruiting classes, baseball will be back up there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:47 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Sounds like they'll sit tight and pray for Colorado, then bring in Utah as #12. Best possible deal for them, and Utah could probably make the move, even though BYU would raise hell. They'd probably have a decent number of Pac 10 visitors coming out to ski.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:46 am 
All-Star
All-Star

ACCNole2, in the Pac 10 meetings this past week, the conference voted to keep the 8 teams only to the the basketball tournament. The 9th and 10th schools in basketball do not make the post season.

If the Pac 10 can't not agree to include all 10 members in the basketball tournament, they are not likly going to expand to 12 for football.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:29 am 
Freshman
Freshman

Good point, but then it is just a post season conference tournament. Entertaining tv, but not very popular as far as rendering the regular season meaningless. Maybe they just want to make sure the 8 teams that did their job show up rather than having UCLA fall asleep and lose early to Oregon St.?

But you're right, it will be a while, if ever. They have even more patience (in part because they have so few options and they make less money) than even the Big 10. But you can bet if Colorado ever hints that they'd make that move, the Pac 10 will leap to action, then just plug in the best fit at the 12th spot. They won't panic unless we actually do go to a playoff system. Until then, the 12 team conference won't be absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:51 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

AccNole32, the common comments made by
Pac 10 is there are no good candidates that match the Pac 10. Utah and BYU are not what the Pac 10 is looking for.

The only way the Pac 10 will expand to 12 if the Big 10 expands.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:09 am 
All-Star
All-Star

The Big 10 did expand but the PAC 10 didn't. Hawaii and Fresno St. would fit the best.Also San Diego St would fit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:24 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Right, the Big 10 move they are referring to probably involves destabilizing the Big 12 by taking Missouri. Which woul dsuddenly bemuch more likely if Missouri wins the northern division of the Big 12 this year. Iowa St. lost Seneca, Nebraska should be just as bad, and Colorado may free fall (we play them so I hope they stink). Missouri should be much better and well led this year, so their game with K St. could be huge. Pitt will also be looking to impress the Big 10.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:12 pm 
The PAC 10 added Arizona and ASU many years ago. It is not, necessarily, that the conference is too conservative, it is just that real attractive candidates are not apparent. San Diego St. has a great location, and size, but the conference may have issues with taking schools in the California State University system. Fesno State has fine sports programs but is another California state school. San Jose State is struggling with attendance and is located in the bay area near Stanford and Cal. Fresno and SJSU are viewed as less attractive than SDSU. Hawaii would certainly be a candidate, but distance is always a factor; the one attraction with them is that it allows a regular season extra game when playing at Hawaii. Utah looks like an acceptable prospect, but their in-state rival, BYU, is also a factor. BYU, as elaborated extensively on this board, has the strong sports tradition and fans, but their no-Sunday play and religious tilt, do not blend well with the trendy and liberalism of some upper tier PAC 10 schools. Nevada-Reno and UNLV may be considerations since the PAC 10 has taken schools in "twos". While geographically delightful, their programs, particularly in football, do not reach mainstream PAC 10 standards, athletically and somewhat academically. Colorado, institutional, would be a match. However, distance becomes and issue and they are set with the
Big 12. Similar factors would be at play with Texas. UTEP, Texas Tech, and New Mexico are closer, but less appealing. Boise State, a program on the upswing, fits with the nothern tier of the PAC 10. However, it does not have the "name recognition" and image to attract the PAC 10.
It will probably not happen, but my picks would be Hawaii and Utah for a PAC 10 to reach 12.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:58 am 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Note the exclamation marks to distinguish the official conference specific threads. Just bringing this up top...

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:26 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
San Diego St. has a great location, and size, but the conference may have issues with taking schools in the California State University system.
Fesno State has fine sports programs but is another California state school. San Jose State is struggling with attendance and is located in the bay area near Stanford and Cal.

FYI, SJ State is yet another Cal State school.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:49 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

As far as the championship game what 60,000-80,000 domes do you have other there to play that championship game?.
There are no domes out that way other than Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix, which is primarily for baseball (though a bowl game is played there every year). It doesn't rain a whole lot on the west coast, so more-than-acceptable spots for a Pac-10 championship game would be
Sun Devil Stadium (Tempe)
Coliseum (LA)
Rose Bowl (Pasadena)
Network Associates Coliseum (Oakland--would be my pick because of its central location)
Aloha Stadium?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 3:06 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
PAC-10 should add Utah/BYU. Attendence for BYU puts it in the biggers schools in the far west. This would be good for them both, they would make more money from being in a conference that gets more attendence than the MWC. BYU had to drop some programs because of money recently. Utah may (or may not) need to upgrade their football program. Coach Mac has done good things but they are in the celler this year. Why stay in the MWC? Maybe bigger fish in a smaller pond but more money to be made moving to PAC-10.

That would also be my first choice, but there maybe some private school and Mormon bias. So my second would be Colorado and Colorado State. They would fit seamlessly into a Northern Division with the four Pacific NW schools.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:34 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The Pac 10 will expand with Florida State and Miami with a possible replacement of BC if Miami loses this week and falls out of the Top 5. Look for announcement after Saturdays FSU/Miami matchup.

Are any of you guys posting on this board Pac 10 fans? Do you have any clue about what the Pac 10 fans think or want?

The Pac 10 published this year that the conference will not expand. Any more questions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 862 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 58  Next