NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:45 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Look, here are the PAC-12 networks...

PAC-12 Washington - Washington / Washington St.
PAC-12 Oregon - Oregon / Oregon St.
PAC-12 No. Cal - Stanford / California
PAC-12 So. Cal - UCLA / USC
PAC-12 Arizona - Arizona / Arizona St.
PAC-12 Mountain - Utah / Colorado

Out of these three, 3 of these networks cover both media markets of the rivalry. the PAC-12 Washington covers both Seattle (Washington) and Spokane (Washington St.). PAC-12 Arizona covers both Phoenix (Arizona St.) and Tuscon (Arizona). PAC-12 Mountain covers both Salt Lake City (Utah) and Denver (Colorado). Especially with PAC-12 Mountain covering two big media markets and two seperate media markets, why would you believe that they'd allow a PAC-12 Texas, being Longhorns only, and then lump Texas Tech in with the Oklahoma's schools?

The PAC-12 Networks cover a rivalry, plain and simple. If the PAC-12 expands to 16 teams with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St., they'll put on two more networks. The first is the PAC-16 Oklahoma (covering Oklahoma and Oklahoma St.). The second is PAC-16 Texas (covering Texas and Texas Tech).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:20 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Simple, because Texas is in a position of power and the PAC is not, their internal report was leaked that expansion was not worth it without Texas, if they don't play ball then Texas could easily go independent. Who would they take then? OU, OSU, Tech, and Kansas? No major conference wants any of those schools but OU, the rest are tag-a-longs or filler that provide no major media markets or big national following.

You also seem to forget that the relationship between the PAC12 school is similar most of which are the #1 and #2 schools in the area Tech is not #2 if it was A&M then I could envision a joint network but Tech isn't even #3 in the state: Houston has size, Rice academics, TCU has better football, Tech is improving but they are not even on the same playing field as Texas. You say the networks are all about the rivalries which makes sense but truly it's about where the schools fans and alums are the lone exception would be the Colorado/Utah network but both of those schools are isolated in their Mountain time zone so it makes sense. If I'm designing a network for the TX/OK school obviously I pair OU/OSU together to cover the Tulsa/OKC market but then I would try like hell to get it on the DFW market, now that may not be easy to do. If I look at Texas I wouldn't worry so much, their network will be picked up in all the media networks of the Texas triangle so they don't need any help, but the OK network may. So we have Tech and yeah everyone first thought will be to add them to the Texas network but they do have some fans in West Oklahoma and the DFW area so why not put them with the OK schools and make it more likely for the DFW area providers to pick it up and have two regional networks in DFW instead of just one? NTM Tech/OU/OSU have few fans in Central/South Texas so they probably won't help UT carry those markets and if the price goes up by adding Tech then it may even hurt it. All in all I get the logic you are using to say have a TX and OK network but if you disect the business side of things you realize that this may not be the best. In can see a situation unfolding where they pair Tech with the OK schools for the time being andget that network on in DFW then when Texas' special deal with ESPN or the PAC expires they move Tech over to the Texas network since the OK network in DFW had already been established.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:28 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

I too was onboard the idea that IFFFF the Pac-16 happened now, it would be a fair UT/TT and OU/OSU new network split.

But I'm starting to think that due to the size of Texas vs the size of Oklahoma as a state, it might make more sense for there to be an Oklahoma/West Texas network and a single one for the UT-centric rest of the state.

Image@ncaasports Image csi.com/facebook

Like the new CSI Userbar? Feel free to use it here and any other forums.
You can save and host it yourself or link from here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:11 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Part of the problem with only having a 1-school centered network is programming. With having 2-schools on a network, you automatically have almost double the programming that you would have with a 1-school centered network. All of the other PAC-12 networks involve 2 schools. Part of this is for Programming. And part of this is to consolidate media markets.

As far as your scenario of waiting until the Texas Deal ends with ESPN for the LHN, it's not going to happen. The LHN deal with ESPN is literally a 300-million, 20-year deal, that starts this year. So, we're looking, even if it is a couple of years before the Big-12 explodes, still 15+ years of the deal with Texas.

Personally, I think the LHN will never take off the ground. They've been having distribution problems. Cable and Sattlite companies, where they were wanting to pick up distribution, just don't want it. Despite the LHN Network launching on Friday, and the first game on the LHN occuring in less than 2 weeks, the LHN has yet to pick up any deals with any of the cable companies in the 5 states where it is supposed to be offered. I'm not sure the distribution problem will change, which means that the LHN will flop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:45 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Jon Wilner blog article with speculation regarding possible future league expansion at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... he-options

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:29 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Dunst-

This is so funny either the LHN will be an extreme failure or a huge success that will change college football as we know it...ask an Aggie and it's both...

Btw these cable deals always take till the 11th hour, Verizon just signed today, Time Warner will carry it they are just in talks over how much they are buying into it, Comcast and Grande have said they are close to carrying it, Dish said they will, no word on Suddenlink, AT&T may not be able to (Verizon may have an exclusive), only Direct TV has said they officially will not carry it since they renegotiate with ESPN next year and don't want to do it sooner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:46 am 
Freshman
Freshman

I still don't see the content being there for 1 school being able to do a network, even with the contests. 2 schools, especially with the backing of a conference behind them allowing away games, for instance, to be broadcast, yes. However, not 1 school.

We'll see, though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:16 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

dunstvangeet wrote:
I still don't see the content being there for 1 school being able to do a network, even with the contests. 2 schools, especially with the backing of a conference behind them allowing away games, for instance, to be broadcast, yes. However, not 1 school.

We'll see, though.

You know, I was pretty surprised when the Pac-12 went it's route with TV networks...since originally, one of the top ideas was an online based network so they could cut out the network partners fees. Goal being that within a few years, many assume that the traditional TV model will be bypassed into a more internet-to-TV general model.

But for a school specific network, the internet model made the most sense to me...versus an ESPN national brand partnership. Come on, not like LHN will get viewers in most of the country. Not worth it for the carriers.

But the TV sports fan is usually the newest TV technology owner, the Xbox/playstation fan, the Netflix streamer, etc...people who are already in the habit of internet-to-TV setups.

Seems like UT could have done an internet station on it's own and just done some specialty shows on local Foxsports, etc, to use to promote the online network. Getting on Fios was a HUGE 1st step. If there is one carrier to get on, Fios is the best to start.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quinn wrote:
dunstvangeet wrote:

We'll see, though.

You know, I was pretty surprised when the Pac-12 went it's route with TV networks...since originally, one of the top ideas was an online based network so they could cut out the network partners fees. Goal being that within a few years, many assume that the traditional TV model will be bypassed into a more internet-to-TV general model.

But for a school specific network, the internet model made the most sense to me...versus an ESPN national brand partnership. Come on, not like LHN will get viewers in most of the country. Not worth it for the carriers.

But the TV sports fan is usually the newest TV technology owner, the Xbox/playstation fan, the Netflix streamer, etc...people who are already in the habit of internet-to-TV setups.

Seems like UT could have done an internet station on it's own and just done some specialty shows on local Foxsports, etc, to use to promote the online network. Getting on Fios was a HUGE 1st step. If there is one carrier to get on, Fios is the best to start.

UT has had special programing on Fox Sports for years, we even had a Longhorn Sports Report that came one twice a week, and we've had texassports.tv for years now too, some stuff like the NCAA regionals were free other stuff you had to pay for it was the most profitable internet subscription service in all of college athletics, this is the reason UT felt that it had enough content and subscribers to have a network. And fyi Verizon Vios just agreed to carry the LHN.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:46 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Other than money I do not see the value of adding Texas to the PAC would be. And how much money is another question?

I think adding UT is a bad marriage waiting to happen. UT is a "like" institution academic and athletic wise, but the do not seem to be a likeable one. Every school that can leave the BIG 12 has or they have their bags packed and are waiting to punch their ticket. And their are rumblings from all the schools leaving/left that they cannot stand UT. Even their ex-conference mates still do not like them http://arkansas.scout.com/2/1099189.html

I am not sure west coast liberal ways fit in with Texas ways. They seem to be my way or the highway. All for me none for you. I care only about me, myself, and I.

I have previously read that Colorado has wanted into the PAC for 20 years and that they have always done the vast majority of their research work with PAC schools and not UT (a major research school) or BIG 12 schools. Could it be that Denver has more in common with LA than Austin? If they are in the same conference as UT and do not work with them, what does that mean?

Sure you can marry a fine rich babe for the money. But then you have to live with her.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:55 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Latest Jon Wilner piece discussing conference realignment and probabilty that the PAC 12 is "talking" to certain Big 12 school representatives.Link at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... ealignment

Edit:Includes update regarding OU President's comments regarding OU conference situation.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:13 pm 
Freshman
Freshman

Wow. Wilner's article reads as though he is just summarizing everything that has been said here already for 2+ weeks :roll:.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:08 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Dennis Dodd weighing in on possibility that PAC 12 will raid Big 12 for Texas and Oklahoma at http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... d-oklahoma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:26 pm 
CollegeSportsInfo Admin
CollegeSportsInfo Admin

Just added the newest article to the site:

Conference Realignment Dominoes Continue to line up...Ready to Fall

I'm going to post this in a few threads since it covers a few topics.

But as of right now, what I'm feeling is:

* Based on Missouri comments, I think they are indeed the 14th SEC school. The key is that If the Big 12 did remain solid, they'd have less reasons to leave. But, Oklahoma is almost forcing Missouri's hand.

* If think the Pac-16 COULD come to be. The key, despite Oklahoma's public role, will still be Texas. If texas is willing to drop the LHN in order for it's share of a Pac-12 network in Texas, I have little doubt that the move WILL happen. OU wants it and OSU and TTech do too since the Pac-16 would be more money. Just like we almost saw last summer, this would be a killer conference.

* The Big 12 options right now might also be focusing on a HUGE raid of the Big East. It's not just Pitt in the mix. Rutgers too. And if Missouri did leave for the SEC and OU/Texas remained, there IS a chance that the Big 12 would add 4, yes, 4 Big East schools: Rutgers, Pitt, Louisville and WVU. Ouch!

* Opposite of last year, the Big East is probably HOPING that the Pac-16 comes to be...since it would mean they'd have a shot at Kansas, KSU, Iowa St., and Baylor. Kansas is the only real "get", but it would be enough schools to consider a real split, a real conference. Or, a 20 school hybrid. Either way, it's a win.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 am 
All-Star
All-Star

Jon Wilner blog article reporting that PAC 12 Presidents dont want to expand unless TAMU leaves the Big 12.Thats great except that TAMU has already announced that they are leaving and are in talks with the SEC.Expansion pot looks like its getting ready to "boil over".Link at http://blogs.mercurynews.com/collegespo ... -to-expand

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 56  Next