NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:06 pm

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:17 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
We now return you back to the Pac 10 expansion discussion. ;)

Where I've yet to hear establishment of a consensus.

Who fits the bill for the Pac 10? Big 10 seemingly has options and can succeed under numerous expansion scenarios. Can the same be said for the Pac 10?

Given even that possibility, could that be reason enough for the MWC to expand to 12, as a buffer against losing, say, the Utah schools to the Pac 10?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:19 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
We now return you back to the Pac 10 expansion discussion. ;)

Where I've yet to hear establishment of a consensus.

Who fits the bill for the Pac 10? Big 10 seemingly has options and can succeed under numerous expansion scenarios. Can the same be said for the Pac 10, and/or is their expansion completely dependent on the Big 10's actions? (IMO, yes.)

Given even that possibility, could that be reason enough for the MWC to expand to 12, as a buffer against losing, say, the Utah schools to the Pac 10?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:36 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

I agree gumby...

Utah is the best school academically in the MWC (AirForce is of course tougher but limited curriculum and program), and Utah fits the PAC profile best, but won't come without BYU, which the other PAC10 schools regard somewhat akin to being in the same league with Oral Roberts, so unless the Mormon Church loosens its hold on BYU a little bit, that will never wash.

There are few other good options...

8-)

Last edited by javaman on Thu Oct 23, 2003 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 7:26 am 
Junior
Junior

PAC 10 needs to ask the following strategic questions:

Are there 2 schools that, if added, would increase the average take for conference members?

Adding 2 schools would allow a conference championship game. What would the value of such a game be?

What do the schools add in terms of value to television contracts?

The PAC 10 is the largest geographic conference in the country. How would the schools impact travel costs? Are they natural travel partners?

What is the Big Ten doing?

I believe that the following candidates are viable: Colorado, Colorado St., Utah, Brigham Young, Hawaii, San Diego St., UNLV. Of these Utah and BYU appear to make the most sense. They are natural travel partners, in the pattern of the other PAC 10 schools. Both are excellent academic schools and draw excellent attendance for football and basketball. BYU also brings a national following of 5 million Mormons.

However, the value of increasing the size of the conference seems questionable. The ACC has demonstrated that increasing size can reduce the average revenue sharing per school even with a conference title game. No need to hurry -- Utah, BYU and the others will be around if conditions change.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:16 pm 
ummm Utah is not the academic class of the MWC... BYU has a better academic reputation than the U.... U does have research, but whoopdeedoo....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:25 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:

That is period!... unless they can get Colorado and Colorado State... And if the Big Ten expands to 12... And if the MWC expands to 12 with quality teams ie. Fresno St, Boise St., Nevada, Hawaii.

Fresno and San Diego State just don't have the prestige and academics to be acceptable. And I just can't see the chancellors of Berkeley, Stanford, and Oregon in the same room with their counterparts from BYU and Utah, much less the same table.

Colorado and CSU would be the ONLY options that the Pac 10 currently might consider for expansion.
The Pac-10 is the LEAST likely of the conferences to undergo any change at the present time.
The BYU/Utah thing has been beaten around too much. Newbies should do some research before pursuing this line of thinking. Dogs will marry cats first. ;D
8-)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:41 pm 
All-Conference
All-Conference

The old Pac 10 contract was better than the old Big 12 contract even with the Big 12's championship game. There are simply a lot more TV sets in the Pac 10's 4 states than the Big 12's 7. When the contracts were renegotiated, they didn't publically state the amounts, but the indications were that both went up about the same percentage.

As for CU, their fans seem to be overwhelmingly in favor of the Pac 10 (or at least were when the invitation came in the mid-90s). Colorado's economic and cultural ties have shifted to the left coast over the last 30 years instead of their traditional ties to the Great Plains states. Many alumni and recruits are in California.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:12 am 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Easy daddywags! If you read this closer, I was agreeing with your thinking.
The Pac-10 will only expand if ALL of the following happen...if even then.
- Big Ten expands to 12
- MCW gets FSU, Bosie, Hawaii, and Nevada
- Colorado and Colorado St. accept bids.
Chances of these all happening are indeed the same as cats sleeping with dogs.

Gumby, sorry about any misunderstanding, but this was not directed at you! ;D
Posted your quote because I agreed with you! :D
Newbies comment was essentially made because every time somebody new joins the board they seem to throw out Fresno St. and San Diego St as viable Pac-10 candidates. This just tells me these folks don't live in California or know nothing about California educational system. :P
There is NO way these schools are acceptable to the 4 California schools in the Pac-10.
Also, we seem to consistently re-hash the BYU/Utah thing. When I first came upon this board, I had thought these two schools viable, but in listening (reading) the posts here, I now see the error of my reasonings. Doing a little research on what has been said goes a long way to establishing credibility in a thoughtful discussion is my only point to be made. :D
Perhaps it's my training, as a teacher I expect homework to be done. ;)
8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:50 pm 
What do Colorado and Colorado St. have that Utah and BYU don't have? ??? They are all 2nd tier universities even though BYU is not a research school. Utah is just as good in football and better in basketball. BYU has a lot of history. Utah and BYU are better in basketball. They are also closer. Utah already has beaten Cal and Oregon. Utah is a great candidate for expansion and could go along with any of the other three schools.
8-)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:15 pm 
Zooks, just let UF play all their games on the road a you guys will be awesome :D!

Some agreement here!

Utah appears the best PAC 10 possibility. If they take in pairs, then BYU with them. Stanford and USC are private schools too. BYU's no Sunday play and conservatism may not appeal to the coastal establishment, but this is sports, and BYU is respectable.

Going into Colorado does compound the distance issue. Not only a state or two in between, but the Rockies are there too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 56  Next