NCAA Conference Realignment & Expansion Message Boards
NCAA Map

Discussions by Conference:
  It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:51 am

Help support CollegeSportsInfo.com by shopping

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 56  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 6:37 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
Zooks, just let UF play all their games on the road a you guys will be awesome :D!

Some agreement here!

Utah appears the best PAC 10 possibility. If they take in pairs, then BYU with them. Stanford and USC are private schools too. BYU's no Sunday play and conservatism may not appeal to the coastal establishment, but this is sports, and BYU is respectable.

Going into Colorado does compound the distance issue. Not only a state or two in between, but the Rockies are there too.

There is no state (or two) between Utah and Colorado. You are right about the Rockies, however. The Col. schools are on the eastern slope.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:19 pm 
Brigham Young=Mormon

Cal + Oregon + Stanford=secular humanism

The Pac-10's sole concern is not the athletic performance of its potential members--if it were, BYU would never be mentioned as a potential Pac-10 candidate because one or more "States" would have been admitted by now (i.e. Fresno, San Diego, or San Jose) and possibly UNLV as well...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:22 pm 
Senior
Senior

Quote:
Zooks, Dogs: I can see how comming from the Eastern part of the US,you might tend to look at this from a strictly sports and business point of view. I agree with you. But the Pac-10 is a very close knit idealogical group, headed by ,IMO, Cal if you can believe that.

Maybe look at it this way. Cal is Berkeley, Stanford is private Berkeley, Oregon is Berkeley in Birkenstocks, Washington is Berkeley in rain coats, UCLA is Berkeley with a tan, USC is Berkeley with and attitude etc...all ten with liberal admins. and philosophies.

BYU is...well...BYU the Morman College, and Utah is looked on as BYU Jr. In this case, as much as I think expanding makes sense if Big Ten and MWC do it. It ain't gonna happen... at least with these two.

Gumby...
Now that is really good!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Although, it may be driven as much by SC and UCLA as it is by CAL.
Obviously my friend you live in the West and you "GET IT"
It's hard to explain to our eastern brethren on this board who just look at the cold harsh competitive realities.
Colorado makes sense because they are Berkeley on ski's ;)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:14 am 
All-Conference
All-Conference

Quote:
Zooks, Dogs: I can see how comming from the Eastern part of the US,you might tend to look at this from a strictly sports and business point of view. I agree with you. But the Pac-10 is a very close knit idealogical group, headed by ,IMO, Cal if you can believe that.

Maybe look at it this way. Cal is Berkeley, Stanford is private Berkeley, Oregon is Berkeley in Birkenstocks, Washington is Berkeley in rain coats, UCLA is Berkeley with a tan, USC is Berkeley with and attitude etc...all ten with liberal admins. and philosophies.

BYU is...well...BYU the Morman College, and Utah is looked on as BYU Jr. In this case, as much as I think expanding makes sense if Big Ten and MWC do it. It ain't gonna happen... at least with these two.

I'd also like to add that 'Zona is Berkeley with shorts & sandals. ;D I think that of all the Pac 10 schools, Arizona State is probably the most conservative of them all, strange as it may seem.

Last edited by dawgnduckfan on Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:34 am 
All-Star
All-Star

DawgNDuck, agreed on Arizona. Tuscon is the most liberal area in a fast changing conserative to liberal state.

While the state of Arizona continues to have strong ties to the old Goldwater era, times do be changing.

Arizona State fits the Pac 10 model and the state of Arizona is becomming more "Californiaish" every day.

Maybe its the over flow of people moving across the border.

Agreed that BYU and Utah have no chance of Pac 10 membership.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:00 pm 
http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/1028/1649193.html
None of this would matter if this is passed in California. This would probably make California college sports fans like Daddywags really mad. If this doesn't happen the Pac-Ten will just stay at 10.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:17 pm 
Senior
Senior

Wow...only in California!!! I'm all for loosening up the rules a little, but this is a little out of hand.

If Grey Davis were still Gov. when this went for his signature, he'd sign it in a heartbeat... whats another $40,000,000 to help the downtrodden. But Ahhhnold, I doubt he'll see this through.

Just give the kids a decent wage for time spent practicing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:00 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

The PAC 10 should add Montana and Idaho that way they get back to the orginal format they had.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:58 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
BYU is...well...BYU the Morm(o)n College, and Utah is looked on as BYU Jr. In this case, as much as I think expanding makes sense if Big Ten and MWC do it. It ain't gonna happen... at least with these two.

University of Utah (Deseret) -- founded in 1850
Brigham Young University (Academy) -- 1875

BYU, if anything, is Utah Jr. Surprisingly, many of the top officials of the LDS church went to UU, whereas BYU has very few alumni in the main office. That may change in future years, but it's not so now. UU is the granddaddy of Utah state and church schools, being founded only 3 years after the settlement of the area.

Anyway, I'm just fine with them in the MWC for good. The Pac-10 is prestigious, but it ain't worth bending over and compromising to join. The MWC bunch likes (hates because we beat them in many sports ;)) us Utah schools just fine, and we're 2 of the top dogs. The Elevated 8 (soon to be 9) is the conference for us IMO.

Here are the BCS conferences we have to choose from:
- Pac-10
Although I think it would work if they were pursuing 2 more schools, the experts here think it's a culture clash. Just as much a clash as occurs everyday with the 100s of thousands of LDS or former Utahns who live in the Pac-10 states. (Some of the first anglo settlers in California were Mormons.) But I won't go through any more trouble defending it. If it happens, it happens. If not, big deal.

- Big 12 (North probably)
The Big 12 is the region we crossed the plains to get away from 150 years ago. There was once an extermination order in Missouri. Still bad blood even now towards us in Big 12-North, especially in Missouri. Personally, I think the chances of this are slim.

- Big 10
Yep, I think this is the most likely candidate. Sure enough. We have history in Illinois, Ohio, and western New York -- too bad we're 1,000+ miles away. Seriously, this may be the best cultural fit besides the MWC. Maybe BYU should get a campus built in Nauvoo, Ill. again. (end sarcasm)

OK, looks like we're staying if the posters here are any reflection on Pac-10 higher-ups' views. I'm just fine with that. The MWC is on the rise.

Last edited by byufan227 on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:22 pm 
Junior
Junior

Quote:
The PAC-10 did in the current MWC back in 1978 with its expansion of Arizona and ArizonaSt.

We're "done in" because two Pac-10 bottom dwellers (Ok, ASU is decent usually) are not in our midst? Eh? Population-wise AZ is 4 million, not really worth crying over. Sure it'd be nice to have the cactus compadres again, but we'll live.

Texas is where we're looking to right now for sway. Big 12 has two big daddies there, but the rest is pretty much anyone's game. TCU is the best overall outside of the top 2 (TTU and Baylor considering). Juarez Tech/UTEP would be nice if they prove themselves in C-USA Lite football. I think Rice could add baseball, academics, Houston, and a huge stadium if they ever turn around -- plus another option attack to go with Air Force. Houston might have a football explosion with Frosh All-American Kerry Kolb. They were the originators of the spread / run & shoot and would be a nice addition to our pass-happy conference. (But they'll have to change their mascot :D)

(Sorry the MWC thread isn't working, so I posted my thoughts here on expansion. )

Last edited by byufan227 on Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:04 am 
Senior
Senior

^Arizona has 5.5 million people and rapidly increasing. 5th most populated state west of the Mississippi.

I agree with what you said except I think the typical Hawaii, Nevada, Boise State and Fresno would be the better MWC expansion candidates.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:56 pm 
All-Star
All-Star

Quote:
^Arizona has 5.5 million people and rapidly increasing. 5th most populated state west of the Mississippi.

I agree with what you said except I think the typical Hawaii, Nevada, Boise State and Fresno would be the better MWC expansion candidates.
Hawaii, Fresno St, Boise and Nevada would make great additions to the MWC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 831 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 56  Next